Stacking Riesling bottles

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Arjan Stavast

Stacking Riesling bottles

#1 Post by Arjan Stavast » October 15th, 2020, 2:15 pm

As I seem to buy more than I drink at the moment, I had to invest in an additional wine fridge. Since I adore German Riesling and that’s very visible in my collection as well, I just spent the last two hours precariously trying to stack Riesling bottles.
I think these are by far the most visually appealing bottle types, but they’re really an enormous pain in the backside to stack... I may have exclaimed at some point I’ll stop drinking Riesling, which is blasphemy of course.

The Emrich Schönleber GGs were the worst, impossible to get any stability. Mixing producers on a shelf is an open invite for disaster as well.
And I just remembered the folks at Joh Jos Prüm sharing they’ll bottles their Auslese and above in a blue, longer bottle from the 2019 vintage onwards as well. I haven’t received mine yet, but am not looking forward to this as their current bottles are a (relative) joy to stack.

Anyway, rant over and if anyone has any great tips for doing this better I’m a taker.
Importer of Sophienwald and Code38 in the Netherlands. Big lover of German Riesling and Spätburgunder as well as Loire Chenin Blanc.

Gabe Berk

Re: Stacking Riesling bottles

#2 Post by Gabe Berk » October 15th, 2020, 2:35 pm

+1 on Turley bottles pre 2019. Colossal pain in the rear...

Perhaps a stand alone German Riesling fridge? Kaleidoscope of blue, green and brown bottles abound.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Jayson Cohen » October 15th, 2020, 3:08 pm

If it makes you feel better, the super tall mags are worse.

This is one advantage of being forced to use offsite storage. There aren’t many.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Ethan Abraham » October 15th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Gabe Berk wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 2:35 pm
+1 on Turley bottles pre 2019. Colossal pain in the rear...

Perhaps a stand alone German Riesling fridge? Kaleidoscope of blue, green and brown bottles abound.
I don't think that would help. The problem I have (imagine the OP too) is if you to double stack (or more), the long skinny bottles just don't stay together that well because the weight is distributed fairly evenly along the bottle so there's not enough friction to keep them from moving, and they are so skinny it's easy to end up with them falling in between each other.
I don't really know the solution. All my Riesling at home I just stand up in my extra fridge.

IlkkaL

#5 Post by IlkkaL » October 15th, 2020, 10:20 pm

I am struggling with the same thing and this is the only reason why I am not buying more Riesling. Only a problem with my wine fridge, not with my off site cellar but, alas, the latter one is damn near full at this point.
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Claus Jeppesen

#6 Post by Claus Jeppesen » October 16th, 2020, 3:25 am

I really do not see the problem....
20200906_095316.jpg
Stacking German magnums is the real challenge champagne.gif
I realise that it more of a challenging thing to do in some fridges
Claus

Riesling and Slate

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Sh@n A » October 16th, 2020, 5:04 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 3:08 pm

This is one advantage of being forced to use offsite storage. There aren’t many.
My offsite was charging me 3L equivalent for a magnum. Adds a lot to the cost basis very quickly!
/ @ g r @ \

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Jayson Cohen » October 16th, 2020, 5:34 am

Sh@n A wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 5:04 am
Jayson Cohen wrote:

My offsite was charging me 3L equivalent for a magnum. Adds a lot to the cost basis very quickly!
MWC charges by volume. So mags just cost double 750s.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Sh@n A » October 16th, 2020, 6:36 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 5:34 am
Sh@n A wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 5:04 am
Jayson Cohen wrote:

MWC charges by volume. So mags just cost double 750s.
This is Domaine, and the charge was just on the Riesling bottle because it was extra long... haven't bought more Riesling since..
/ @ g r @ \

A. So

#10 Post by A. So » October 16th, 2020, 7:39 am

Everything should be Bordeaux bottles. Everything.
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Andrew K. » October 16th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
Actually, I love those. They fit in a Burgundy-sized 2 deep wine fridge slot. Mags made in heaven!
к𝓁ย𝐠

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Josh Grossman » October 17th, 2020, 10:13 pm

A. So wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:39 am
I'm saving all of my empties to build something out of them and I couldn't agree more. While I dislike riesling and Champagne for this reason, I refuse to even buy some for this reason. I refuse to buy anything in this bottle:

brodie thomson

#13 Post by brodie thomson » October 17th, 2020, 10:35 pm

Arjan Stavast wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 2:15 pm
I just spent the last two hours precariously trying to stack Riesling bottles.

Anyway, rant over and if anyone has any great tips for doing this better I’m a taker.
Here is what I did when I had a wine fridge. I stacked a row of rieslings bottles with the bases at the back on the fridge. I then stacked the next row in the opposite direction (bases at the front). In order to maintain stability, I cut out small strips of cardboard from a wine box and placed it under each bottle in a bit of a “U” shape. Well actually the cardboard straddles the two necks and provides a landing point for the base of the bottle on top. I found that this basically eliminates the tendency for the bottles to wobble. I played around with the size and the thickness of the cardboard strips.

Cheers Brodie

Alexander Smith

#14 Post by Alexander Smith » October 18th, 2020, 5:09 am

A. So wrote:
Yes, This! champagne.gif
Wines by Alexander: Quebec Promotional Agent focusing on Premium New World Wines: Bevan Cellars, Dalla Valle, Dana Estates, Spottswoode, Three Sticks, Moss Wood, Dutton Goldfield and Groth.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Jay Miller » October 18th, 2020, 5:58 am

A. So wrote:
[winner.gif]
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » October 18th, 2020, 6:12 am

What's the history behind the bottles used for German/Austrian/Alsatian whites?
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » October 18th, 2020, 10:20 am

I have a section of my cellar with these modular racks:

https://www.rosehillwinecellars.com/mod ... n-burgundy

These aren’t great for any bottles other than Bdx or riesling (assuming you’re trying to maximize your storage capacity within the room you have), because they only hold 4 bottles of those other wines per row, and they are much wider than they need to be to hold just 4 bottles. If they were just a touch wider and could hold five Burgundy bottles, they’d be much more flexible/useful overall, but that’s neither here nor there.

But for Bdx and riesling, as long as they are in traditional bottles, these racking units are just barely wide enough to hold five bottles per row, so you get almost optimal “storage density” for the amount of wall space you use, at least in terms of width. You give up some density, of course, with the single bottle row height, but you have no stacking/tipping issues with the riesling bottles, and you get the ease of access that comes with only having one row of bottles per shelf.

Here’s the funny thing, though, about the Bordeaux bottles - even wines from other regions that are bottled in “Bordeaux shaped” bottles won’t fit five to a row. What is up with that? Do Barolo or Chianti or Rioja producers use slightly thicker glass or something? And of course there are the Bordeaux that have started bottling in non-traditional bottles (and there’s always been Haut-Brion), and they don’t fit five to a row either. But these units are great for riesling.

James Billy

#18 Post by James Billy » October 19th, 2020, 12:13 am

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 6:12 am
Because they were shipped via rivers (smooth journey!) they didn't need punts. Hence the flat bottoms. I think the flat bottoms meant that they couldn't be too wide, so they had to be thin and tall.

The last bit is just a guess and I'm sure someone else can better explain the tall and narrow shape.

Doug Sher

#19 Post by Doug Sher » October 21st, 2020, 12:31 pm

The ultimate bottle and packaging comes from the Wachau. The cases from wineries like Knoll, Hirtzberger and Prager are a thing of beauty. A case of Austrian wine takes up considerably less room in storage than a case of anything else.

This might not help with stacking bottles, but helps immensely when stacking cases. My preference is always to leave the bottles in their original case, if possible.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » October 21st, 2020, 1:43 pm

Behold, the future...

Time Person of the Year - 2006

Ron Erickson

#21 Post by Ron Erickson » October 21st, 2020, 3:42 pm

I have a cart that has shelves tilted back about 10-15 degrees, and I just leave them in their cases on their sides. Prior to, I had some 17x21x8 inch wire baskets that I alternately (i>r/r<l) stacked the bottles in.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » October 21st, 2020, 4:14 pm

Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 1:43 pm
Behold, the future...

300+ awards? From who?

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » October 21st, 2020, 4:39 pm

October 21st, 2020, 4:14 pm
Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 1:43 pm
Behold, the future...

300+ awards? From who?
I suspect there's a wall in the Target Corporate office that looks something like this...

Time Person of the Year - 2006

asnitow

#24 Post by asnitow » October 21st, 2020, 7:23 pm

I think german riesling is the best use case for weinboxes. They are long enough that even prestige bottlings - GG, etc fit. And because they are thin, you can often fit 16 in a box. So they hold plenty of riesling in a very solid and efficient way.
alan snitow

James Billy

#25 Post by James Billy » October 21st, 2020, 8:30 pm

James Billy wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 12:13 am
October 18th, 2020, 6:12 am
Because they were shipped via rivers (smooth journey!) they didn't need punts. Hence the flat bottoms. I think the flat bottoms meant that they couldn't be too wide, so they had to be thin and tall.

The last bit is just a guess and I'm sure someone else can better explain the tall and narrow shape.
I guess the posts above explain why thin bottles are best (they take up less room), but only regions that shipped via rivers could get away without the punts, needed to handle road transport back in the day, that wider bottles need.

Jason L Jones
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Jason L Jones » October 22nd, 2020, 6:45 am

I selected vintage view racks in the cellar at home at least partly to deal with riesling bottles. In my offsite I stack them by producer, though I'm not really space constrained there for now.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#27 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 22nd, 2020, 7:04 am

We don't have much that needs to be stacked, most is in racking, but the Riesling bottles are still problematic because they stick out of the double-deep racking more than normal bottles and larger people walking through the cellar sometimes brush against them to one degree or another.

I don't mind the bocksbeutel. They are almost exactly the height of our open storage shelves and, because they are thin front-to-back, a number of them fit on a shelf. Plus I really like some of the wines.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Marshall Manning » October 22nd, 2020, 9:43 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 7:04 am
We don't have much that needs to be stacked, most is in racking, but the Riesling bottles are still problematic because they stick out of the double-deep racking more than normal bottles and larger people walking through the cellar sometimes brush against them to one degree or another.
Sarah, one possible solution is to put the back bottle in the normal way but turn the front bottle around so the bottom of the bottle is on the end of the rack and the necks are together. That way they don't stick out. I have to do this with my VinoTemp to use the double depth racks with Riesling bottles.
Marshall

Sarah Kirschbaum

#29 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 22nd, 2020, 10:38 am

Marshall Manning wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 9:43 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Sarah, one possible solution is to put the back bottle in the normal way but turn the front bottle around so the bottom of the bottle is on the end of the rack and the necks are together. That way they don't stick out. I have to do this with my VinoTemp to use the double depth racks with Riesling bottles.
Yes, it's an effective solution and we did try it. But Jonathan hated it and insisted that he needed all the necks to be facing out more than he needed never to brush against them. It wasn't a hill I chose to die on, especially since I fit just fine. :)
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Rob_S

#30 Post by Rob_S » October 22nd, 2020, 10:54 am

Marshall Manning wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 9:43 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
This is how I deal with it as well. I just have a fear that if I remove a bottle from the row below the front one will slide down causing a cascade and I lose the whole fridge to a pile of broken glass and liquid goodness, other than the one bottle in my hand. Silly fear but there none the less.
utherland

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Russell Faulkner » October 23rd, 2020, 1:24 am

Here’s 90 bottles of Julian Haart. What’s the problem :).
6F535371-3F97-46E5-A3A5-17E86B81B0F7.jpeg

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » October 23rd, 2020, 8:04 am

Does anyone who uses Weinboxes want to show how you are able to fit 16 bottles in each box, yet still stack them?

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Eric Ifune » October 23rd, 2020, 3:26 pm

I get slats of 1X2 wood and place them under the necks. Allows for great support and stacking.

J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by J Dove » October 23rd, 2020, 4:27 pm

Alexander Smith wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 5:09 am
A. So wrote:
Yes, This! champagne.gif
+1
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

asnitow

#35 Post by asnitow » October 23rd, 2020, 8:32 pm

October 23rd, 2020, 8:04 am
Does anyone who uses Weinboxes want to show how you are able to fit 16 bottles in each box, yet still stack them?
Its true that they can peek up over the lip. I had stacked them that way for a while, but got nervous. My new approach is to put 12 bottles in and then a layer of 3 or 4 375s. That will fit and let you stack.
alan snitow

p. raghib

#36 Post by p. raghib » October 25th, 2020, 6:44 pm

When stacking in bins I often put a lap of plastic wrap around them. A bit of an inconvenience, but a huge help when it comes to stopping them from sliding/landslide.
cheers'

-paul r.

p. raghib

#37 Post by p. raghib » October 25th, 2020, 6:46 pm

I keep a couple of these in the cellar
cheers'

-paul r.

Dillon S

#38 Post by Dillon S » October 26th, 2020, 6:34 am

p. raghib wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:44 pm
When stacking in bins I often put a lap of plastic wrap around them. A bit of an inconvenience, but a huge help when it comes to stopping them from sliding/landslide.
Great idea! I'll give that a try. I normally only wrap bottles that I plan on cellaring long term, but riesling bottles are a pain to stack, and I think this may help a bit.
$ i f l i n g 3 r

J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by J Dove » October 26th, 2020, 8:35 am

p. raghib wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:46 pm

I keep a couple of these in the cellar
Nice tip...
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 26th, 2020, 11:43 am

Dillon S wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 6:34 am
p. raghib wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Great idea! I'll give that a try. I normally only wrap bottles that I plan on cellaring long term, but riesling bottles are a pain to stack, and I think this may help a bit.
+3. Never occurred to me to use plastic wrap to solve this problem. Brilliant! [thankyou.gif]
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

p. raghib

#41 Post by p. raghib » October 26th, 2020, 8:09 pm

I also use the wrap on btls I want to keep in great shape (kids birth year wines,high end wines, some old Madeira etc) as well as some wine in diamond bins.

It really stops btls from sliding.
cheers'

-paul r.

Arjan Stavast

#42 Post by Arjan Stavast » October 27th, 2020, 10:07 am

That’s a brilliant idea! Just realized that would mean taking out about 400 Riesling bottles, wrapping and them restacking them...
Importer of Sophienwald and Code38 in the Netherlands. Big lover of German Riesling and Spätburgunder as well as Loire Chenin Blanc.

LarryA

#43 Post by LarryA » October 29th, 2020, 10:06 am

I "solved" this problem by installing rubber flooring in my wine cellar in the vicinity of the Riesling racks. Two incidents were two too many, where a minor disturbance of one bottle resulted in a cascade.

No problems since then!
Larry Archibald
Santa Fe, NM

Return to “Wine Talk”