TN: 2018 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett

Due to what I assume is the vintage, this is quite tropical with almost no petrol-y character; mango/passionfruit seems to dominate the nose with an almost California sauvignon blanc-lite bent. The palate definitely has a little tickle of CO2 which wasn’t unwelcome and kept it breezy. The acidity is present but not piercing, and the mouthfeel is somewhat broad. Mostly, I don’t find it to be particularly expressive - granted, it’s extremely young - and I can’t say I loved this particular iteration of this bottling. Overall, this isn’t really my style and I look forward to 2019’s more classic profile.

It may have already shut down.

That was a thought, but the nose is so exuberant and “hedonistic” (don’t kill me!) that I just assumed this is the character of the year.

I had this about 10 days ago and liked it a good deal. Actually the first Prum I can ever recall opening (I know, I know) so can’t compare to other vintages, but really loved the yeasty funk on opening and density of the fruit.

Interesting you found it funky! The fruit definitely has power but I’m not quite into it and want more of the steeliness/stoniness.

Wait a few years. The fruit will back off.

As for 2019, if you think it’s going to show anything less than boisterous fruit young…

I just had this last week. Still have some in the bottle.

Can’t believe you saw no petrol?!?!? It was like sniffing a gas pump. I agree the acidity isn’t piercing. It’s very young and a touch flabby at this point. Packing the rest of my case away for the long haul.

Yeah, to me, it was just that semi-tropical fruit dominating the nose without much else.