Newfound - Fall Release

I just received an email detailing the wines included in Newfound Wines’ release:

"…‘We have three selections to choose from this Fall. Each wine is sourced from distinctive sites that speak to us philosophically. They are tended by hands that live, sleep and breathe the agricultural dream that inspired us to begin our own Newfound project.’
~ Matt

"2018 Newfound Pinot Noir
Enz Vineyard, San Benito County
63 cases ($45/btl)

"Planted on a bed of limestone and granitic sand at the base of Mt. Harlan in the Lime Kiln Valley, original plantings at this remote California Central Coast vineyard date back to the 1880s. The eight acre block of Pinot Noir was originally planted in the 1970s as Sauvignon Blanc on vinifera roots. Years later the SB was grafted to Pinot on the same own rooted material. Organic and dry farmed, this rugged and historic site imprints a uniquely muscular interpretation of Pinot. To that end the terroir is palpable in its grip, intensity and depth of fruit all of which are interwoven with Pinot Noir’s natural elegance.

"2018 Newfound Grenache
Scaggs Vineyard, Mt Veeder, Napa Valley
66 cases ($38/btl)

"This is now our third year working with the Grenache fruit at the Scaggs Vineyard on Mt Veeder in the Napa Valley. Fortunately for us - and everyone in our valley - 2018 provided a vintage with few climatic challenges. As for the wine, I would say this is our most complete and perhaps our finest interpretation of this site. When tasted in the line-up of Grenache’s we now produce, Scaggs’ characteristics are obvious - it’s core density is balanced with savory herbs, fine tannin and silky textures - all of which are fully amplified by a vintage that made life easy.

"2018 Newfound Grenache
Cemetery Vineyard, Mendocino County
33 cases ($45/btl)

"Within the limits of Mendocino County’s city of Ukiah, lies the Cemetery Vineyard – a ten-acre site that borders the Russian River Cemetery. Strange as that may sound, this vineyard is owned by the city, with historical blocks of Carignane and Zinfandel dating back to the 1940s. A significant portion of the vineyard has been replanted over the past 10 years to Grenache, a variety perfectly fit for these grounds given the gravelly soils on which the vines call home.

"The young, head-trained three-acre block of Grenache transports you to an earlier era of vine growing where the sparse vineyard layout sensibly counterbalances the dry farmed vines and rugged well-drained rocky soils. This type of tough love agriculture contributes to a light environmental footprint, vine health, vineyard longevity, and balanced fruit.

“Given that our production qualities for these wines are very small, orders will be fulfilled on a first come first-served basis…”.

Newfound Wines website:

I assume this is their first vintage. Have you tasted their wines?

This is their 3rd or 4th vintage. Matt is a solid winemaker, and the wines (particularly the Rhône wines) have been delicious with a lot of air. Should be a few good notes on CT.

I’ll second that, though full disclosure - I’m friends with Matt and Audra (who does the tastings for Matthiasson). These are very high quality at a very fair price point. I’d liken them to Sandlands in that regard. The Pinot is new for them, which sounds very exciting. I also love the Semillon.

I have drank a few vintages of Genache, Semillon and Mourvedre. All more than fairly priced and really nice wines centered on balance.

had these today at the grand cru selections tasting and was summarily blown away. stunningly pure wines with character, very pure fruit, zero heaviness. audra was pouring and she’s a delight. very exciting wines here.