I'd like a.....RED riesling please!

YES, red riesling. (Also know as pink riesling or roter riesling.)

Thanks to my friend Maeriaen Neuenfeldt in Germany who taught me something new today.

I will refrain from posting info on it here. If interested in it you can research it, but at least now when you are playing
wine games and the question is, “there exists red riesling. True or false?” You can correctly answer YES!

This sort of reminds of when I use to love pouring Sancerre rouge, Meursault rouge, Chassagne-Montrachet rouge, etc…
Most people associate these with being only white.

Now back to dinner…and my 2013 Robert Foley HM CS. WOW!

But chassange, Sancerre, meursault are not a grape. Pinot noir is a red wine grape. Chardonnay is a white wine grape.

Isn’t red Riesling just a mutation of white Riesling and hence still a white wine grape?

Yes, it is a color mutation.
Check out https://justwines.com.au/blog/white-vs-red-riesling-wine/ for a side-by-side picture.

Thank you for making it clear for those that don’t know that riesling is a grape and Chassagne/Meursault/Sancerre are regions and not grapes.

There is a schwarzriesling too. But it’s just pinot meunier.

There’s a reason for that.

Next thing you know they’ll start making a Red Zinfandel. pileon

I was working in a wine shop ages ago when a woman came in and asked where the Zinfandels were. I showed her, and she said scornfully ‘These are red wines, I asked for Zinfandel!’

Isn’t red Riesling just a mutation of white Riesling and hence still a white wine grape?

Very interesting question but the answer is no.

Most grape cultivars get divided into red and white because of the presence or absence of anthocyanin in the berry skin. But that mutation has been found to be a genetic mutation where the gene that activates anthocyanin isn’t transcribed in white berries. So most white grapes are mutations of red, and there’s some idea that red Riesling may be the original, which would be consistent with much of the other mutations.

Since Pinot Blanc is a mutation of Pinot Noir, is it still a red grape? No. Or is Pinot Gris? Again, no.

Or since nobody knows which came first, what about Pinot Meunier? Or Pinot Liébault or even Pinot Teinturier, which has red flesh as well as red skin? No way it could be a white grape.

Then there is Tempranillo blanco. And Garnacha blanca.

And Merlot Gris, which is a mutation, as opposed to Merlot Blanc, which is a related grape but not a clone.

Then there is Malian, which I believe is a sport of Cabernet Sauvignon that isn’t completely white, akin to Pinot Gris from Pinot Noir, and then Shalistin, which is a further mutation that is white and is more akin to Pinot Blanc.

Something like Roter Veltliner is different because that and Gruner Veltliner aren’t mutations but are different grapes entirely.

You get these mutations in flowers like roses all the time and bright young things apply for plant patents on them. They get their own names and they’re as originals.

Same with the wine grapes.

The mutations are their own thing. If it’s a mutation that turns a white grape red, it’s a red grape, and vice versa.