06`SWC, 95`Dom, 12`Delamotte, 13`PYCM En Rem, 13`Latour CC, 00`Pavie, 98`Grange, 07`Unico, 94`Dominus, 13`Hidden Ridge+

Our dinner group kicked it up a notch to do a dine at one of Santa Barbara’s most elite resorts, the 5 star Rosewood Miramar Beach. We dined in the high end ocean beach front restaurant named after the owner, Caruso`s.

While the sound of the nearby surf was rolling in throughout our entire evening, we ordered from their 4 course/ 3 choices per course pre-fixe menu. The food was outstanding as was the ambience although the timing of delivering the food was way off even with a top of the area wait staff. That may have been due to the fact that the place was packed and yes, with table distance.

We were graced with the presence of their Director of Wine who we shared some of our wines with while doing our own wine service as usual and preferred. Also, most of us bring our own stemware.

On this night, our wine theme was the usual champagne and white Burgundy with the special added addition of wines that have been rated 100 points or any DRC or Vega Sicila. We drank exceedingly well and enjoyed an 100 point evening.

2006 POL ROGER SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL BRUT- Winnie would have been proud as this exuded excellence after an initial blow off of some hay and straw character; the aromas consisted of fresh cut flowers, brioche, citrus especially tangerine and almond; the taste profile had all of the above plus a nice honey accent that also emulated the creamy texture; it had very bright acidity and everything expanded as it warmed up a bit; very good now and one to re-visit in a few years; it is made of 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay.

On SWCs death in 1965, Odette Pol Roger attended the funeral and on her return to Epernay, she declared that Pol Roger’s distinctive white label should be edged in black by way of a tribute, something that continued for decades.

SWC is known for many legendary quotes such as: “My tastes are simple, I am easily satisfied with the best”. He was known to drink at least 2 bottle a day.

And the classic:

“Remember, gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!”

0088CC43-1D02-47C6-9218-BB33C9D6C80A_1_201_a.jpeg
2012 DELAMOTTE BLANC de BLANC BRUT- I’ve had a few bottles of this bubbly and am a big fan; one of our members bought a case of it and brought a bottle; 60% of the fruit sources for this comes from les Mesnil-sur-Oger, Ovize and Oger with 20% equal parts from each and the remainder of the fruit comes from Cramant, Chouilly and Oiry; this is the 4th bottle I’ve had recently and it was not as spectacular as the others, but still had some redeeming qualities; the nose had fragrant yellow roses and stone fruit which on the palate more specifically included peach, apricot, pear, Golden Delicious apple and lemon; it had a very creamy, honey like mouthfeel which served to enhanced the long, satisfying finish; since no 2012 Salon is to be made, I’m assuming most of the fruit went into that part of the BdB that was not held back in reserve.

B0FE8D94-79B6-44D1-BD80-5F3625DCC92D_1_201_a.jpeg
1995 DOM PERIGNON BRUT- the color was a suspect dark amber and the nose had distinct TCA notes, but that’s where the downside ended and it was all good from then on; honeyed coconut cream with peach, pear and apricot fruit dominated the aromatics and taste profile in this so very rich and full bodied Dom; it actually seemed to gain momentum with time; another clothespin wine here= stifle the nose and enjoy the taste and feel.

C149D981-E574-4BE7-A043-B69010BCCD61_1_201_a.jpeg
2013 PIERRE-YVES COLIN-MOREY EN REMILLY SAINT-AUBIN 1er Cru- probably the best of all vintages for this gem and thankfully our group has had a lot of bottles over the years; this fell right in line with the others with distinct aromatics of flint and minerals along with ripe citrus fruit which once tasted was more specially lemon and lime with a hint of smoke; it had a viscous mouthfeel, was full bodied and had a sustained, welcomed finish; its beautiful balance may have been its hallmark.

931AB73F-DF03-4112-A70C-98CCC03843F8_1_201_a.jpeg
2013 LOUIS LATOUR CORTON-CHARLEMAGNE GRAND CRU- compared to the PYCM, this was almost the antithesis as it was really a mellow, mild, elegant and medium bodied wine; a super knowledgeable friend told me many years ago that there is a part of a TCA effected wine that has a bell shaped curve including a part where we do not get the wet cardboard aromas, but the wine is sapped of its power and weight and the fruit profile is diluted; this epitomized that expression and even then, it was a really good drink, just not living up to its fullest potential; it had just a touch of minerality and mild notes of lemon, lime, saline and spice with an emphasis on the lime.

A5008922-7080-449C-9DB2-A7AE5CEF4DAD_1_201_a.jpeg
2000 CHATEAU PAVIE SAINT-EMILION- this started out with more California Cab like notes and then gathered some momentum and took off and showed its true Right Bank Bordeaux colors; initial mild leather, earth, bell pepper and black current morphed into cedar, mocha, blackberry and black currant fruit with dark chocolate coming in past mid palate; even its weight and feel changed gaining more with time and the final expression was one of a really good Pavie like the ones we have grown to love and respect. I’ve had a couple of this wine that were stupendous. Parker gave it 100 FWIIW.

CE93790C-B915-4319-A136-F42F2D470D47_1_201_a.jpeg
1998 PENFOLDS GRANGE SHIRAZ SOUTH AUSTRALIA- 97% Shiraz, 3% Cabernet Sauvignon; the member who brought this gave us 3 stellar choices and it was unanimous for the Grange and thankfully so as it shined ever so brightly; the color was a young and vibrant dark red purple; the nose gave the first gift I was looking for with strong pepper notes along with spicy blueberry fruit; on the palate, all of this was joined by licorice, blackberry and sweet black cherry; it was rich, complex with layers upon layers, full bodied and yet had finesse and lots of charm; Grange consistently is is a class all bi itself and the 98 is one of the best Ive had and I’ve been to a few large Grange tastings as well as having had numerous bottles.

6A41217F-EBBF-493C-9427-1261CF90B014_1_201_a.jpeg
2007 VEGA SICILIA UNICO RIBERA DEL DUERO- this was released prior to the 05 and 06 as it reportedly came from a “light” vintage; I’ve had the 06` and still have a bottle and it is super good, but the last one suggested to give it a lot more time so I pulled this instead and was happy to discover it was better than advertised; in fact, it was our WOTN; yes, it had all of the expected amazing notes that included loads of rich and ripe dark fruit including blueberry, blackberry and plum, but it’s hallmark has to be it smoothness; it’s just super soft and smooth and it’s even sensed in the nose, but particularly obvious once tasted and noticeable all the way to the back end; mild accents of milk chocolate, coffee and earth also showed up, but it was the smooth texture that caught my attention and when mentioned, acknowledged around the table. Decanted 3 hours ahead.

63110AD1-2C2D-4F82-8118-CFD6975743B8_1_201_a.jpeg
1994 DOMINUS ESTATE NAPANOOK VINEYARD NAPA- 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Cabernet Franc, 12% Merlot, and 4% Petit Verdot; from the nose on, Brett, the 4-ethylphenol type that gives off barnyard and band aid aromas, dominated the wine with underlying earthy, dried dark fruit notes peeking through which on the palate was dried black currant and blackberry fruit along with leather, cigar box and earth accents; it was full bodied and one just knows this was a super good wine at some point, but not for this bottle on this night.

D01BBD0A-153D-465F-A05B-DA7E896EF197_1_201_a.jpeg
2013 HIDDEN RIDGE IMPASSABLE MOUNTAIN RESERVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON SONOMA COUNTY- my first exposure and it came from a trusted member so I expected it to shine regardless of who gave it 100 points {Parker} and then when I looked it up and discovered its price tag of close to $400, I sat up straighter, rolled up my sleeves, rinsed out my glass and dove in; for a youngster, which it definitely showed, it had all of the stuffing and structure to promise a long, pleasing life span; it was very dark fruit forward with sweet black cherry most prominent; it was also the epitome of power and finesse bringing to mind the iron fist in a velvet glove analogy; I failed to ask if any of the wines were decanted, but there’s no doubt, this can only benefit from a long decant now.

7075EC9E-4693-4940-AB18-A88E79050B9F_1_201_a.jpeg
2005 CHATEAU CLIMENS SAUTERNES- 375 ml; another sweetie from this great vintage; it gave honeyed marmalade, apple and nectarine while being delivered in a thick, almost chewy texture; a little drop or two and I was good.

0F2BB43F-7C46-43D1-A277-D1FE76FE6103_1_201_a.jpeg
2010 CHATEAU RIEUSSEC SAUTERNES- 375 ml; fabulous botrytised dessert in a glass here made of 92% Semillon, 5% Sauvignon Blanc and 3% Muscadelle; honeyed apricot, peach and pineapple are carried in a creamy substance which is medium sweet and full bodied.

D1DC4960-4C2B-4049-AA82-DF24318E41F1_1_201_a.jpeg
Another great night with the gang.

Cheers,
Blake

Thanks for the note. I’m having the 98 grange soon myself so I am now even more excited.

Wow those are some truly amazing wines. Thanks for the notes!

Grange simply needs 20+ years in every vintage, particularly a ripe and powerful one like '98. It is indeed world class. There can be bottle variation with that '98. I had a good one recently, I think Alan had a sub-par one?

Fantastic line-up(!) and great writing. I’ve got a bottle of the 12 Delamotte but it seems I should leave it be for a good sleep.

I had the '13 PYCM St Aubin en Remilly earlier this week and agree that it is one of the better vintages showing easily above its 1er cru status. Thanks for the notes and the dinner sounds great at the Miramar.

'07 Unico coming from the outside to Win the Night! Quite the story. Very impressed/surprised it was drinking so well :slight_smile:. Sometimes the #Trudging gets one to hidden pools…

Love your responses Nick. We’re still trading along.

Gavin, the quality of the wines here is a testament to the quality of the folks in this group as everyone delights in bringing good stuff and sharing the joy. That’s really one of the things that wine is all about IMHO.

Oh, no. I am in deep trouble now. I had the Delamotte 2012 last March, really liked it and bought some. But, the last time Blake touted a wine (over and over again) that I really liked (2006 CdC), I felt compelled to buy more and more of it. I am worried that history will repeat itself and that I will want more and more Delamotte 2012. [wow.gif] At least, the good news is that this is pretty well priced and maybe buying it will help me have restraint against buying 2008 CdC at very high prices. champagne.gif

Sorry for the big hit on your pocket book Howard, but you’re worth it.

BTW, the first offerings I received pn the 08` CdC were just South of $200 and now I got one for $149 and may have a lead on some at $134.

Well, if I see some at $134, that will provide a hit to my pocketbook. champagne.gif [winner.gif]

Great notes, thanks. We stayed at Miramar last weekend as a late substitute for going to Meadowood in Napa as we had planned. We also had an awesome dinner at Caruso’s, and loved the wine director. It’s definitely a recommended destination, both for lodging and eating.

Good move Jim. It’s definitely in the top echelon of elite resorts in our area along with San Ysidro Ranch, The Four Seasons Biltmore, El Encanto and Bacara. For us locals, it’s a breath of fresh air literally and figuratively. It took many, many years for it to even get re-built and Rick Caruso had the gumption {and the money} to get it done.

I liked it way better than the Four Seasons. Beautiful property but the rooms were very so-so. I understand that Ty Warner is redoing it so maybe that will change. The railroad through the Miramar property is pretty cool.

I’m sitting on two of these and have not yet been tempted to open one. Do you think these are at peak yet?

Me Personally? Absolutely not :slight_smile:. I’d think 8-10 years more at minimum… but Blake says 3-hr decant and his bottle went singing for him. To be fair, Blake’s got a way with wines; I put a lot of pressure on wines to open up, and maybe they take that personally? I do not like forcing the issue…

No way are these close to peak. They were built for a LONG life span and my best guess is full maturity happens in 30+ years. The 3 hour decant has to have been helpful in allowing this to open up some. I’d sit on them if you do not have any good resins to open them.