TN: 1995 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel

• 1995 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (10/9/2020)
    Wine is best when shared with friends. I opened this to share with my wife and a dear friend, and it was in absolutely perfect condition. Peach, apricot, spiced apple, and a lemon cream undertone that was pure Sonnenuhr, this could not have been better. It took thirty minutes or so for the aromatics to catch up with the palate, but then they took off, with the spice bursting up through the stratosphere. Beguiling wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Wow, sounds absolutely fantastic. Thanks for the note!

Thanks for the note. While I don’t have this vintage, I love this bottle. Some are approaching their 20 year mark, think I need to see where they are at sooner rather than later. For science.

Great note. I have some 2015s to enjoy with future wedding anniversaries.

Thanks for the note. How do you feel it’s showing age wise? The 01 GKA was super young earlier this year.

I think this is on a mature plateau, where it will stay for a very long time.

Thanks for the notes. What an awesome bottle. It is always great when you open an “older” bottle (20 years +) and it truly lives up or surpasses your expectations. Very cool.

Good info ,thanks . Also, I am jealous.

Great note! Thank you.

Thanks David
Maybe I am imagining I am better than I am but i believe it is very easy to taste the difference between GK and normal Auslese
I am uncertain because when drinking Prüm WS Auslese alone it is hard to kmagine anything better champagne.gif

This bottle was clearly GK Auslese, but I could not help thinking that a 2015 or 2019 (to name a couple of riper years) Spätlese would actually be richer. How times and climate have changed.

What a great TN! Thanks, David. I have an '06 downstairs, I’m tempted…

Yep, I had my last 375 of this near the beginning of COVID and it was amazing. Still have a couple of 750s of the '96 and '97 remaining.

Sounds pretty terrific David. Thanks for sharing.

Way too soon for a 2006, unless you have a bunch.

Thanks. There’s only one, so I’ll try to be patient. Any idea when it might be ready?

2006? Maybe 2106.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Happy to wait for that long if you can guarantee I’ll still be alive. :slight_smile:

I will certainly be dead by then, so no chance for you to collect on the guarantee.

Seriously though, I would wait to 2030 or so.

This applies for the white capsule too. Based on a recent Prüm test run