Futo 5500 release pricing

I am planning my wine budget for rest of the year and next. Futo 5500 is something high on my list to try. I couldn’t find any info on their 5500 release pricing.

Does any Futo guru knows what the recent pricing were for their 5500 release? TIA

I haven’t bought the 5500 in several years (OV/SL is my go to), but I still get the offer emails.

I believe they are in the $350/bottle range with minimum three pack purchase.

That’s nothing for the founder of Momofuku champagne.gif

May I ask why? OV/SL better value?

Did you ever grab my of these? I saw them recently at benchmark and contemplated it for a Stag Leap Tasting. Would love to hear some tasting notes on the 5500

1. Deep purple hue. Aromas of rich dark currants, gushing blackberry and a sage undertones. The wine is not augular with well balanced acidity. Texture was like drinking silk. The finish was long, very long, with traces of mineral representing SLD. Decanted for 2 hours and it is still dense with a full character. The tannins was chewy but not overpowering for such a young wine. Can’t wait to drink this again and i expect its elegance to blossom even more. I bought a few more bottles. 99 pts

Wow, sounds incredible. I was actually looking for a '14 but they sold out at the list price so that sucked. Have you had Shafer Hillside Select? Curious how it compares and which you think is better.

Thanks for the notes, really helps!

Yes I had Shafer HHS before but a older vintage, a '95. I gave it a 95pt score when i drank it few years back.

IMO, they both are good representation of SLD with Futo a more modern styled wine, riper fruit etc…

To me, Futo 5500 is in a higher league than Shafer HSS. A future cult wine for sure.

What’s the waitlist like for Futo?

To answer my own question, I signed up 9/29/20 and was just added for the upcoming 2020 release.

Make that 2019 FUTO 5500 Stags Leap District Estate Cab and 2020 FUTO Blanc. They did not make a 2020 red due to fires.

I saw the FUTO Blanc in the email also.
Anyone have details on that?

*edit- The 2020 is their 3rd vintage of FUTO Blanc (Estate, 100% Sauv Blanc). I’m now remembering this. Initial release price was $180/btl. No wonder I didn’t remember it.

A friend is brining a bottle to a party this weekend. I’ll wait for that and see. But it had better be amazing at that price.

Tell him/her to take it out of the salt solution at least three hours in advance and be sure to wash off any extra salt.

I have one bottle of the original 2005 Futo left out of a three-pack and I did not like the first two. Recent CT notes on it are very good, but I do not know any of the reviewers. Any comments anyone?

The name of this wine sounds like a cheap/strange electric car that one finds on Alibaba

Which reminds me, I’ve been meaning to ask, did you invent a herbal treatment for HIV?

I can’t take credit for that, but clearly the purveyors are leveraging the goodwill I have built up among humanity

I started with the 2006’s. Futo’s took over one of my favorite vineyards (Oakford) so I jumped on. I’ve enjoyed the wines, but feel like they’re heavier early on than most Oakville wines. Don’t know if it’s the wood treatment or the blend. I think they’re getting better with age. Had a 2007 a few months ago that was in a great spot.

*and meant to say- the 2006 is the least compelling wine I’ve had from them. Almost as if they hadn’t gotten it figured out yet. It’s not bad, but not as good as the other years. So wonder if your 2005 suffers in the same way.

1 Like

Kind of my experience. I like big wines, but both of these tasted like someone added corn starch to thicken them and corn syrup to sweeten them. AND one of them was at the (in)famous Ghost Horse tasting the Dan Posner arranged and other than that it was juried high end Napa Cabs, it was completely blind to everyone, including me. There were about 14 wines and the Futo was the consensus worst choice before the reveal. I rated it second worst.

1 Like