Did anyone else get a shipment notification from Bedrock?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Did anyone else get a shipment notification from Bedrock?

#101 Post by Marshall Manning » October 17th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:19 pm
The cold mass of the wine inside the trailer is not going to allow it to become that hot inside. If it were empty yes, but that’s not the case. I can have a case of wine in a styro shipper on the floor of my garage, metal building with afternoon sun exposure, on a 100+° day and I cam open that shipper in the heat if the afternoon and the bottle will be under 75°. Now, if that case were surrounded by 300 more cases all coming from cold storage the day before it would still be in the high 50s to low 60s. People unnecessarily freak out about shipping temps. Your wine is more likely to cook on the shelf at a retail store than when being shipped from cold storage.
That might be true IF everything in that container is cold wine from the storage location. But as soon as it goes to the distribution center and gets mixed in with other packages of shoes, TVs, etc., there wouldn't be any thermal mass to keep it cool.

Everyone is welcome to think what they like about temps and treat their own wine accordingly, but I would rather err on the side of caution. When I was in distribution and responsible for thousands of cases of wine coming into OR every year, I insisted on temp-controlled containers for all of our shipments where possible, despite it costing a bit more. Most importers and distributors (many who don't even have temp-controlled warehouses) just try to do the cheapest thing and think the wine will be fine. But I've tasted enough wines over the years that are simply not what they are supposed to be because they have gotten mistreated somewhere along the supply chain that I prefer to keep my wines as cool as possible.
Marshall

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 17th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Marshall Manning wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 10:52 am
AD Northup wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 7:17 pm
Not the PA LCB... :(
Ha! I'd imagine there are shops in a nearby state that would like them if you do any business there?
Sure I’ll drive the 120 mile round trip to save the environment. Nobody buys wine from WV or OH for shipping, so make it a 400 mile round trip.

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Marshall Manning » October 18th, 2020, 8:44 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Sure I’ll drive the 120 mile round trip to save the environment. Nobody buys wine from WV or OH for shipping, so make it a 400 mile round trip.
I was figuring he probably went on trips to out of state shops to buy wine anyway if the PLCB selections aren't great.
Marshall

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by AD Northup » October 18th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Marshall Manning wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 8:44 am
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
I was figuring he probably went on trips to out of state shops to buy wine anyway if the PLCB selections aren't great.
No need to go anywhere since PA opened up for shipping
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 18th, 2020, 9:00 pm

Marshall Manning wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 8:44 am
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
True in the eastern part of the state.

Return to “Wine Talk”