Bucklin Fall Release

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Bucklin Fall Release

#1 Post by JeremyMullman »

Some interesting stuff in here from Will, including Constellation doing what it does, Carlisle getting its hands on Old Hill Ranch fruit and more. Never actually gets to the wines he’s selling but safe to assume those will be great in a vintage like 2018.

And of course glad to hear everyone there is safe.

Dear Persona Grata,
In bold, 400-point font, our annual harvest t-shirt will read “2020 SUCKS.” No matter which side of the fence you sit on, and no matter whether you live on the Gulf Coast, East Coast, or West Coast, I think we can all agree, it has been a trying year.
Following a record dry February, we received a paltry three inches of rainfall over the remaining spring months. It was also abnormally hot, warming and drying the soils quickly. The buds emerged earlier than I have ever seen.
The summer started with a whimper and for a spell, seemed wonderfully normal. The ancient dry-farmed vines handled the drought with their usual aplomb, while some of the younger blocks manifest stress requiring irrigation for the first time in recent memory. Aside from an early harvest, it seemed as though it was going to be a good harvest.
On August 16th, while I was on retreat in advance of the harvest onslaught, I received a midnight text from Lizanne. Lightning had ignited a fire on Old Hill! Firefighters arrived (this time), thank god, quickly extinguishing the fire and our PTSD. What we did not know at the time, was that there had been thousands of lightning strikes throughout the state, igniting dozens of fires.
Two days later, the Lake Hennessey fire, located east of the Napa Valley, erupted and there was a massive pyro cumulus cloud visible from Old Hill Ranch. Additionally, we had the Wallbridge fire to our northwest, but each fire was over 30 miles away.
Bucklin Old Hill Ranch
To my surprise, as I write this newsletter, I realize the fires burned for nearly three weeks before air quality became really concerning. Through the first week of September we had had some uncomfortable smoky and hazy days, but I continued to work outside and brushed off the smoke with my usual bravado.
Then on September 7th we had a record heat wave. It was over 110 degrees here on Old Hill for two days, and the fires, including the new massive Creek Fire exploded and jumped the containment lines. The infamous orange sky occurred on the 9th, which was beyond surreal. It reminded me of 9/11- everyone seemed dazed, going through the motions of work, but not really there.
Shortly before the heat wave, I sampled the grapes and they were almost ripe at 22.4 brix. I spoke with Morgan Twain-Peterson at Bedrock about harvesting before the heat. We hemmed and hawed and decided the grapes could wait. Then I spoke to my Constellation rep and learned our grapes, and in fact everyone’s grapes under Constellation contracts, were to be analyzed for smoke taint, to determine if they would reject the grapes.
Aptly named, “smoke taint” is a series of smoke related chemicals that adhere to the sugars in sweet ripe berries. It is only after the sugars are consumed by the yeast, that these chemicals become unbound and noticeable as off-aromas and flavors. In other words, the taint does not express until after the grapes becomes wine. Analysis of the grapes in the vineyard indicates if the smoke chemicals are present, but it does not predict the outcome of the wine. A positive result only predicts a higher risk for taint.
You may recall that Constellation, a 20-billion-dollar wine, spirits and beer company, owns Ravenswood Winery. We have been selling Old Hill grapes to Ravenswood since 1980. Ravenswood was purchased by Constellation in 2001. Then in April of 2019 an agreement was reached where Gallo would purchase approximately a dozen brands from Constellation, including Ravenswood. However, the transaction has been held up by the Federal Trade Commission as they review the antitrust implications of the deal.
Upon announcing the deal back in 2019, Constellation closed the Ravenswood tasting room, thereby announcing they were not continuing with their single vineyard designate program. Shortly thereafter, we received a termination letter that they would no longer buy our grapes but we still had two years remaining on the contract that they would have to honor.

“Honor” may not be the appropriate word.

There is another factor that plays into this story which is the economy. Sales have slowed because of the pandemic as restaurants have closed and stopped buying wine. Some wineries report an uptick in direct sales but I think it is fair to say many would prefer to make less wine in 2020, irrespective of fires.
About the time we heard that Constellation was sampling our grapes for smoke taint, I started to hear horror stories of large vineyards east in the Russian River near the Wallbridge fire not getting picked, and north near Healdsburg too. These regions were much closer to the fires and I remained (and remain) optimistic because there simply had not been much smoke here in the Sonoma Valley.
During the 2017 fires, after Constellation had refused to purchase a paltry one ton of fruit because of smoke taint, I was pissed. Obviously it was their right to do so, but it felt like it negated our 40-year history. After an article appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle stating my displeasure with Constellation, I received an invitation to lunch with Morgan Twain-Peterson and Joel Peterson, founders of Bedrock Wine Company and Ravenswood respectively. They wanted to buy our grapes and being the esteemed winemakers they are, and the good friends they had become, it was an easy decision to make.
However, the powers that be at Constellation did not go quietly, they had exclusive rights to our grapes, and they very much wanted to keep buying them. In the end they would give up exclusivity if we would continue to sell them (fewer) grapes which we begrudgingly did.
The rejection letter from Constellation arrived on September 14th. The grapes had been languishing in the heat as we awaited their analysys, but it was a relief to know. Now I could move forward. I called my friend Mike Officer at Carlisle winery and asked if he was interested in the grapes. Within 40 minutes he was in the vineyard walking the rows with me. He offered to purchase them for the same price as Constellation would have, assuming they were not tainted. We bumped elbows and agreed that we were reasonable people and we would make reasonable accommodations, depending on how the wine turned out. No contract, just words and honor.
We still had 10 tons of Bambino Zinfandel that was under contract with Constellation that remained unpicked. I was faced with the choice of picking it and processing it for Bucklin, or leaving it on the vines. It was an extremely difficult choice, were we throwing good money after bad?
If you know me, you know we picked, but it does not mean there wasn’t plenty of agonizing and anxiety in the meantime. We finished up harvest on September 20th, just about when I would expect to start harvest in a “normal” year.
The Bedrock Wine Company’s website says that it takes a village to make wine. Now, working with Joel, Morgan and Mike, it is starting to feel like a village. We all have each other’s backs. We all wish for, and work towards each other’s mutual success. Despite all the trials and tribulations of this vintage, there is progress, and for that I am thankful.
Today is October 3rd and we appear to have survived the Glass Fire, a much closer, smokier, and scarier fire that started on September 27th. Yesterday I tasted all the wines that are done with their fermentations. They are delicious, with no hint of taint, and so there is much cause for optimism. Farming is, after all, a profession of hope, and with everything going on in the world it is hope that will get us through this sucky year.

Cheers!

Will Bucklin and the Bucklin Sibs.

THE RELEASE:

2019 Old Hill Ranch Mixed Whites
2018 Old Hill Ranch Ancient Field Blend
2018 Old Hill Ranch Bambino Field Blend
2018 Old Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon

Drew Goin

Re: Bucklin Fall Release

#2 Post by Drew Goin »

Great read!

While I enjoyed vintages of Ravenswood's "Old Hill" Zin in the late 90's and early 00's, I feel that the future of the vineyard/heritage is more secure with MTP, JP, and MO's collaboration.

TomHill

Great News...

#3 Post by TomHill »

This is great news that MikeOfficer will be making an OldHill Zin. Will came out of this with a big positive.
Tom

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Order in. Have to support these folks.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

John Dart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by John Dart »

Will's wines are great, not to mention the QPR. Will is a real trip to talk with. The 2018 Ancient Grenache is delicious. Looking forward to these new releases.

K Kl@dder

#6 Post by K Kl@dder »

How does Will’s ancient field blend compare to Bedrock and Once and Future Old Hill? I’ve enjoyed 2018s from both of them, curious on differences. Never had a Bucklin wine but intrigued.
K e i t h

Philip N. Jones

#7 Post by Philip N. Jones »

The Bucklin wines I have purchased have been excellent. In my view, you can buy with confidence. Nice wine, nice people.
Phil Jones

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by P Turk »

Order in!
Phil

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Bucklin Old Hill Ancient Field Blend is fantastic, and a great QPR too

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Just ordered a mixed case. Looking forward to these and happy to support the family in light of everything!

Michael Feldman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Michael Feldman »

Will’s wines are outstanding! Not sure why he doesn’t receive more love on Wineberserkers.

david paly

#12 Post by david paly »

Must be a tremendous relief to have survived the fire and being given the opportunity to again work with passionate winemakers and appreciative consumers instead of industrial bean counters

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by JeremyMullman »

K Kl@dder wrote: October 4th, 2020, 6:14 pm How does Will’s ancient field blend compare to Bedrock and Once and Future Old Hill? I’ve enjoyed 2018s from both of them, curious on differences. Never had a Bucklin wine but intrigued.
It’s in the same league, quality wise.

His “Bambino” might be the best value bottling of all the zin cults. Crazy value, especially with the 15% for list members.

Gregory Dal Piaz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Gregory Dal Piaz »

It's a great deal for lovers of Old Hill. An Iconic vineyard doing what, in my opinion, California does best. Great email as well, so much more than buy my wine, it's great. I was buying before I read it, but so happy to support Bucklin.
ITB Freelance Writing/Education/Wine Buying
[url]www.SimplyBetterWines.com[/url]

DavidC.

#15 Post by DavidC. »

anyone tried their Old Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon before? interesting vine history

Morgan Twain-Peterson

#16 Post by Morgan Twain-Peterson »

DavidChang wrote: October 5th, 2020, 6:47 am anyone tried their Old Hill Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon before? interesting vine history
Yep, opened at 2007 a few nights ago that was singing. From a block next to the BR Cohn "Olive Hill" block- makes some really pretty, old-school, style wines.

Also, not sure how the Ancient Grenache has not been "discovered" yet but it is one of the best examples of the variety in California from some of the oldest and best farmed vines in the state.

Philip N. Jones

#17 Post by Philip N. Jones »

Did I miss the part about 15% off? Where do I find that? What does it apply to?
Thanks,
Phil Jones

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Philip N. Jones wrote: October 5th, 2020, 12:42 pm Did I miss the part about 15% off? Where do I find that? What does it apply to?
Thanks,
Phil Jones
Same

Carlton McCrindle

#19 Post by Carlton McCrindle »

Order in.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#20 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Philip N. Jones wrote: October 5th, 2020, 12:42 pm Did I miss the part about 15% off? Where do I find that? What does it apply to?
Thanks,
Phil Jones
That's the Virage offering, not this one so far as I know (ordered both).

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by JeremyMullman »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: October 5th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Thanks,
Phil Jones
Same
It is applied automatically at checkout if you click through the offer email.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#22 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

JeremyMullman wrote: October 5th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Chris Crutchfield wrote: October 5th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Thanks,
Phil Jones
Same
It is applied automatically at checkout if you click through the offer email.
So not applicable if you just went to the store and ordered. Not that I care, as I am sure they can use every penny right now.

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by JeremyMullman »

I’d email Will Bucklin and ask. He’s extraordinarily responsive in my experience.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#24 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

JeremyMullman wrote: October 5th, 2020, 4:52 pm I’d email Will Bucklin and ask. He’s extraordinarily responsive in my experience.
Nope. He’s welcome to the money. His situation is far more dire than mine.

Thanks for explaining it though.

JackW e i s s b e r g
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by JackW e i s s b e r g »

Happy to buy these direct this time, and from now own. Really love Bucklin zin, what's now the ancient field blend. Looking forward to trying the Grenache as well. Thanks to the OP for posting on this!!

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Rich Brown »

Bucklin wines are amazing across the board and will is a great dude. Had the chance to taste with him there a couple years ago and we had a blast. Such a special vineyard.

And I agree with Morgan on the grenache. Crazy good and those old vines are gnarly looking.

Last, don't sleep on the Petite Sirah either! Really good stuff!

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#27 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Looking forward to getting these and lining up an ancient vines red with Bedrock and O&F Old Hill.

M. Dildine

#28 Post by M. Dildine »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: October 6th, 2020, 4:37 pm Looking forward to getting these and lining up an ancient vines red with Bedrock and O&F Old Hill.
A fascinating horizontal. And soon, Carlisle joining the Old Hill crowd.
Cheers,

Mike

Philip N. Jones

#29 Post by Philip N. Jones »

Petite Sirah? Where did you see petite sirah?

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Rich Brown »

Philip N. Jones wrote: October 6th, 2020, 6:10 pm Petite Sirah? Where did you see petite sirah?
Ahhh, sorry - doesn't look like its included in the release. Not sure if its only offered at the winery or something, but definitley worth trying if you see it [cheers.gif]

DonnaM
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by DonnaM »

I’ve been lurking here for awhile, but finally signed up today specifically to say thanks to all of you for introducing me to a new winery! We love the smaller, more esoteric producers and enjoy seeking them out; in person is best of course but virtual works too. This morning I ordered a case from Bucklin, 3 each of Mixed Whites, Ancient Grenache, Ancient Field Blend and Bambino. Really looking forward to getting to know them.
M u r 6 @ c h

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#32 Post by AD Northup »

DonnaM wrote: October 8th, 2020, 1:17 pm I’ve been lurking here for awhile, but finally signed up today specifically to say thanks to all of you for introducing me to a new winery! We love the smaller, more esoteric producers and enjoy seeking them out; in person is best of course but virtual works too. This morning I ordered a case from Bucklin, 3 each of Mixed Whites, Ancient Grenache, Ancient Field Blend and Bambino. Really looking forward to getting to know them.
Welcome Donna! Fairly certain you won’t be disappointed.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2021 WOTY Candidates:
1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires

2020 WOTY:
2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (first RdJ)

2019 WOTY:
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Rich Brown »

AD Northup wrote: October 8th, 2020, 2:39 pm
DonnaM wrote: October 8th, 2020, 1:17 pm I’ve been lurking here for awhile, but finally signed up today specifically to say thanks to all of you for introducing me to a new winery! We love the smaller, more esoteric producers and enjoy seeking them out; in person is best of course but virtual works too. This morning I ordered a case from Bucklin, 3 each of Mixed Whites, Ancient Grenache, Ancient Field Blend and Bambino. Really looking forward to getting to know them.
Welcome Donna! Fairly certain you won’t be disappointed.
Agreed! Welcome to the board and hope you enjoy the wines (which I'm also pretty sure you will). Would love to hear your thoughts after you try them and hope you continue to post more often [cheers.gif]

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Greg Gardner »

Got my mixed case yesterday. I got a smattering of everything and went a bit heavier on the 2018 Ancient Field Blend - the 2016 was smoking a few months back. I guess the Mixed Whites and Bambino are the obvious bottles to start with, but the deliciousness of that 2016 haunts me...kinda wanna try some of the heavier hitters.

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by JeremyMullman »

Greg Gardner wrote: October 30th, 2020, 1:54 pm Got my mixed case yesterday. I got a smattering of everything and went a bit heavier on the 2018 Ancient Field Blend - the 2016 was smoking a few months back. I guess the Mixed Whites and Bambino are the obvious bottles to start with, but the deliciousness of that 2016 haunts me...kinda wanna try some of the heavier hitters.
Haven’t gotten mine yet but the 2017 Bambino was spectacular, imo. The Ancients do reward a little sideways time.

Alan Newman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Alan Newman »

Enablers! In for 6 Grenache.

Philip N. Jones

#37 Post by Philip N. Jones »

Mine arrived earlier this week. I had a straw and a paper bag ready to receive them.

David.Berman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by David.Berman »

I got a mix in the first case I ordered. Had come across a 2016 ancient field blend locally and it blew my mind. Opened the Mixed Whites and went right back to order a mix of that and bambino. The QPR Is super high. I'm becoming a huge fan. They are very understated.

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Greg Gardner »

Just popped a 2017 Mixed Blacks. Hugely
aromatic, packed with strawberry and raspberry fruit. Reminds me of how the 2005 Pierre Usseglio CdP was drinking on release.

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by JeremyMullman »

Spring release out today. Need to restock Bambino and Mixed Whites:

Besides the gnarled ancient vines, there aren’t many other visible reminders of Old Hill’s storied past. The gingerbread homestead burned in the 1970’s, the last of the Eucalyptus windrows burned in 2017 and the railroad has long since been paved over. What remains are some unearthed horseshoes, a pestle and mortar, five abandoned wells and a long-defunct water-tower.
Water towers are an important part of California's historical heritage and thousands were built in the late 19th century but then quickly became obsolete with the invention of electric pumps. Dozens still exist in Sonoma, made obvious by their two-story trapezoidal shape and flat platform roof.
The water tower on Old Hill has always intrigued me. It had obviously and carelessly been repurposed several times, with windows and doors added seemingly on every side and level. The water tank on top must have leaked profusely over decades given all the rot to the beams and siding. But upon peeling away the layers of drywall and shag carpet, the original craftsmanship became evident, revealing mortise and tenon joinery, hand-hewn beams, and ancient crimson redwood.
The fires of 2017 provided a Tabula Rasa and a purse of insurance revenue; the pandemic provided time, and my amazing cousins provided architectural expertise. The goal was to move the structure into the vineyard to perch among the vines and to restore it to its original glory, save we are not putting a tank upon it. The upstairs – with its spectacular view of the vineyard and Mayacamas Mountains – will be my office, and the downstairs will be a space for tasting wine and high jinks.
After all, every winery needs a tower, and I am very much looking forward, as is Lizanne, to moving Bucklin headquarters out of the kitchen. I think we are just a few weeks from completion!

Bucklin Old Hill Ranch
In the meantime, I am increasingly optimistic about the 2020 vintage. And while I remain concerned about the impact of smoke on the wines, our extensive chemical analysis has proven nothing, and the wines taste fabulous. There will be a sweet irony if the 2020 vintage is, as I am beginning to suspect, an outstanding vintage.
The Release:
This newsletter marks the release of our 2019 reds that were bottled last June along with our 2020 Rosé. The 2019 vintage seems like it was eons ago, but it is surely worth remembering because it was a dry-farmer’s dream, with plentiful and late rains, a warm and not too hot summer, followed by a mild and dry fall. Given all that has transpired over the last year, it feels good to remember such a generous vintage.

A Tale of Two Grenache:
1) Otto’s Grenache; vines established 2010 ($40)
2) Ancient Grenache; vines established 1885 ($40)
The two Grenache we produce from Old Hill vineyard are made from similar varietal blends that are grown from the same clones and root stock. The blocks are located only a stone’s throw apart, and the wines are made using similar techniques. It would seem that the major distinction between these wines would be from the 124-year difference in vine age, and yet there is another factor that plays an even larger role.
The Ancient-vine Grenache grows on the valley floor on the fertile, deep, clay-loam soils. The vines are among the oldest, biggest and most beautiful on the vineyard. They are incredibly productive, especially given their age. By comparison, Otto’s block grows across the creek on a warm hillside sloped towards the setting sun. The soils are hard and rocky with a shallow and almost impermeable volcanic tuff (ash conglomerate) that limits root depth. These vines are the lowest yielding and least vigorous on the ranch.
The Ancient Grenache is a select harvest from the Ancient Field Blend. We walk the vine rows, picking only Grenache and then after we fill up a half ton bin, we add a few buckets of Syrah, Carignan, and Alicante Bouschet. The final blend is about 80% Grenache. Otto’s, a true field blend, is similar in varietal make up to the Ancient Grenache blend as described above, but with a few more varieties in the mix, including Mourvèdre, Counoise and Clairette Blanche.
In 2019 I was a little more obsessive with the Ancient Grenache harvest, and I flagged the vines I wanted to pick by marking the different varieties with different colors. This allowed me to keep track of yields and proportions. In doing so I was able to calculate the theoretical yield of the vines at 6.6 tons to the acre. That is a lot of grapes for 134-year-old dry-farmed vines!
2019 was the biggest vintage in my 21 years here, and yet the 10-year-old Otto’s vines produced only 1.7 tons per acre. That is about half what a more conventional vineyard might produce, but I was pleased given it had been averaging closer to one ton per acre in years past.

Bucklin Old Hill Ranch
The yield story, as it pertains to these two blocks, seems counterintuitive. The young hillside vines on shallow soils produce loose clusters with teeny tiny grapes that have more skin than juice. The old vines produce larger clusters with larger and juicier berries. Location, more than vine age, limits yield.
Otto’s -the wine- is denser and more compact; the tannins are pronounced and the wine feels rich on the palate. It is perfumed with cherry and plum fruit along with hints of typical Old Hill spice. The Ancient, on the other hand, is still dark, but less so. The palate is bright and cheery, and yet the aromas are more complex with cherry and earthy tones. The tannins are certainly apparent but less obvious on the finish. Both wines will benefit from age.

Anne’s Upper 5th Vineyard Field Blend ($34)
Anne’s Field Blend comes from The Upper 5th vineyard that was planted in the 1940’s and is located across the highway from Old Hill Ranch on Oak Hill Farm. Our Mother, Anne, who farmed Oak Hill, purchased the vineyard in 2010. She loved the funky promiscuous nature of the vineyard, where fruit trees were interplanted throughout, shading the old head trained vines.
The field blend is 60% Zinfandel, with Petite Sirah, Peloursin (closely akin to Petite Sirah) and a few Mourvèdre and French Colombard vines. The fruit trees in the vineyard, besides making it difficult to navigate a tractor, shade and cool the vines creating a brighter and leaner profile than the Old Hill wines. The fresh aromas of raspberry and cherry dominate with some mint and eucalyptus spice. The wine is aged in once-used French barrels, preserving the aromas and moderating the tannins, which are youthful and focused.

Rosé of Old Hill Ranch ($24)
Made from 20% Grenache 71% Zinfandel 5% Mourvèdre and 4% Syrah. The grapes are harvested early, co-fermented cold and finished dry. The wine is pale in color with aromas of fresh watermelon and a crisp acidity on the finish. The Rosé of Old Hill Ranch is a fine accompaniment to the optimism of spring!

Andrew Demaree
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#41 Post by Andrew Demaree »

Don’t pass on the rosé. Will makes a nice one in a lighter bodied, crisp style. Only $20 with the mailing list discount.

K Kl@dder

#42 Post by K Kl@dder »

Took some field blend white and trying the rose for this summer. Was really impressed with the previous fb white I had.
K e i t h

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Brent S »

Drinking the 2019 mixed whites now. Hard to describe this. Nose sort of reminds me of viognier. Very floral. On the palate I can’t quite place this. Guess it’s the unusual blend. I get all sorts of Rhone flavors ( Marsanne and viognier) but then it feels like gruner veltliner. This is really unique but it’s not for everyone.
Br en t. Sp ren kle
Manhattan Beach, Ca

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

The 2018 Ancient Field Blend already sold out. I might grab some rose and more of the mixed whites. Not sure if I want to get more grenache as I already loaded up on the 2018

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Greg Gardner »

The 2017 Ancient Field Blend is drinking great right now. Also the 2018 Cab is the end of an era. Those vines are now gone, though perhaps a 2019 was made? Not sure

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Brent S »

That 2018 ancient grenache was awesome. Drank one in the fall.
Br en t. Sp ren kle
Manhattan Beach, Ca

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by JeremyMullman »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 7:08 pm The 2018 Ancient Field Blend already sold out. I might grab some rose and more of the mixed whites. Not sure if I want to get more grenache as I already loaded up on the 2018
Don’t sleep on the 2018 Bambino. Jaw-droppingly good. IMO a good notch better than the (very, very good) versions of Turley Juvenile, Carlisle SC and Bedrock OVZ in 2018.

At $24 (minus the 15% release discount) it’s a stupid value.

William Fickling

#48 Post by William Fickling »

I saw that the 2018 Ancient Field Blend was sold out when I was looking at the release last night and having trouble deciding what to pick, but now I see it is available again? I haven't checked out yet but I don't have any issues adding it to my cart.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Rich Brown »

Drinking a glass of the 2015 Grenache as we speak. Damn good! Will post a note later.

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Dave H. »

William Fickling wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:23 am I saw that the 2018 Ancient Field Blend was sold out when I was looking at the release last night and having trouble deciding what to pick, but now I see it is available again? I haven't checked out yet but I don't have any issues adding it to my cart.
I left a note in my order asking about the 2018 and Will emailed me and said he updated the inventory and had some more. It’s available again for now.
Hendrik

Return to “Wine Talk”