TN: 2017 Aeris Wines Carricante Bianco Centennial Mountain

• 2017 Aeris Wines Carricante Bianco Centennial Mountain - USA, California, Sonoma County (10/4/2020)
    Sample bottle, and it’s very well made, but perhaps Carricante just isn’t my thing. I like the zippy lemon notes, and the fresh hay elements are quite nice, but it never excites me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this wine, and lots of things that are right. The fresh acidity and minerality should be right up my alley, but it never connects. Not sure why. I really liked the Aeris Centennial Mountain Red Wine, but this is not my thing. Maybe it’s yours.

Posted from CellarTracker

Interesting, I’ve like this wined the few times I’ve tasted it locally, enough to make me get some this spring. Wes Barton and George Chadwick have both fed me Etna wines and got me interested. Clearly Kevin has a passion for this grape. My order is still at the winery so no chance to crack a bottle. Thanks for the note david.

Sean

I have 2 bottles of the Bianco coming this fall, so I will check it again. Bought more of the red.

The head scratcher for me is the assertion that Carricante ages. I’m not sure I see where it goes that would be better than where it starts out. I am keeping a few bottles of the Etna Bianco aside to see what happens, but I have been liking it on the young side. I liked both of the Centennial Mountain samples sent so went ahead and purchased some of the offerings when they were put up for sale (at least I think I did).

Cheers,
fred

I had a bottle of this last night with my wife. I didn’t take notes, but I thought it was great. Crisp, focused, good balance of fruit with mineral and acid, everything well integrated, seemed to improve as the bottle sat open and the wine warmed. Definitely made with an appropriate Italian sensibility.

I wouldn’t say it was extremely distinctive, maybe, but it was a very good bottle of wine. I would buy it again - at least based off my vague recollection it was priced in the $30s or so.

$35

Just opened a 13-year old Etna bianco. YMMV, but to me, it was excellent.

Kevin has probably had more of the greatest wines of the world, young and aged, than almost anyone here. I have a lot of faith in his judgment.