Re: TN: Château Bel Air-Marquis d'Aligre (Margaux) vertical 2010-1985

#51 Post by Josh Grossman »

When it rains, it pours! Nice job Lopa/Scott

AD Northup
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#52 Post by AD Northup »

Josh Grossman wrote: March 17th, 2021, 3:23 pm When it rains, it pours! Nice job Lopa/Scott
Seriously awesome pricing
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

IG: adn.wine

2021 WOTY Candidates:
2002 Cristal
2019 Les Horees Aligote en Coulezain
1978 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill

Mark E.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Mark E. »

Josh Grossman wrote: March 17th, 2021, 3:23 pm When it rains, it pours! Nice job Lopa/Scott
Right!? Finally get to try this wine. Ordered two each of the '95, '98, and '00.
€n+er1ine

YLee

#54 Post by YLee »

Ordered 1 each. Responded within 1 min.
Was planning on getting them from FRA but this works better.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Max S. »

YLee wrote: March 17th, 2021, 4:35 pm Ordered 1 each. Responded within 1 min.
Was planning on getting them from FRA but this works better.
Shoot, I took 25 minutes, I hope I didn't miss out.
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#56 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Yeah we’ll see I was pretty late too.

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by AAgrawal »

I was 10 minutes in. Asked for one of each except 2005. I'm not buying any bordeaux right now, but I've read so much about BAMA that I had to try a few vintages.
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

YLee

#58 Post by YLee »

AAgrawal wrote: March 17th, 2021, 8:55 pm I was 10 minutes in. Asked for one of each except 2005. I'm not buying any bordeaux right now, but I've read so much about BAMA that I had to try a few vintages.
Did you get confirmation?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Scott Watkins
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#59 Post by Scott Watkins »

YLee wrote: March 17th, 2021, 9:18 pm
AAgrawal wrote: March 17th, 2021, 8:55 pm I was 10 minutes in. Asked for one of each except 2005. I'm not buying any bordeaux right now, but I've read so much about BAMA that I had to try a few vintages.
I responded 7 minutes after the email and have not heard back, damn I was slow :(
I get my best ideas in a thunderstorm. I have the power and majesty of nature on my side.
Ralph Steadmam

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by AAgrawal »

YLee wrote: March 17th, 2021, 9:18 pm
No, but I wasn’t expecting anything yet.
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by MattG »

Quoted $72 from Chambers St to ship 6 bottle to the West Coast :(
G@|’$1n

Mariano Chiaramonte

#62 Post by Mariano Chiaramonte »

I've arrived a bit late to the party, but I was able to get a '95 and a 98' from Chambers.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#63 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Scott said that he’s hoping to fill all the bama orders and will let us know.

Michael_H
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#64 Post by Michael_H »

MattG wrote: March 18th, 2021, 5:36 am Quoted $72 from Chambers St to ship 6 bottle to the West Coast :(
Just be thankful you can get it shipped. Illinois is on the no ship list from Chambers - even though it is expensive they carry stuff I just can't get here at home. Back when travel was allowed I'd always stuff a few bottles from Chambers in my suitcase after visiting Manhattan - hopefully I'll be able to do that again at some point...
M!ch@el H3nd0n

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Otto Forsberg wrote: October 4th, 2020, 7:37 am In the summer a friend of mine noticed that one of the European internet shops had received a new shipment of different vintages of Bel Air-Marquis d'Aligre, so he decided to grab the opportunity, ordered one bottle of each and arranged an ad-hoc vertical of BAMA.

As Bel Air-Marquis d'Aligre (BAMA) is both a former Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel and one of the pet producers of the AFWE folk here, I should assume everybody knows the château. However, one shouldn't be doing assumptions, so here's a short introduction to the house.

BAMA is a Château in Margaux, run by nearly 90-year old Jean-Pierre Boyer (born in 1933) who has been working in the winery since 1947 when he started helping his father run the château. Since 1950 he has been producing the wines himself, so this year saw his 70th vintage. Boyer owns a total of 50 hectares (125 acres) around the appellation of Margaux, yet only 13 hectares (32,5 acres) are under cultivation. Of the farmed vineyards, Boyer rents out a considerable portion and his wines are produced only from vineyards totaling only five hectares (12,5 acres). Most of his vines are old, craggy, centenarian beings, some of them pre-phylloxeric, i.e. planted to their own roots. For the most part the vines are not really cultivated - just allowed to grow on their own - and the resulting yields are very small.

As a wine, BAMA is old-school Bordeaux by every standard imaginable. Despite producing wine in the 21st century, Boyer has never produced wines according to any modern methods. Instead, all the wines are made more or less according to the same recipe his wines produced in the early 1950's. The exact grape proportions of the blends is not known, since Boyer really doesn't seem to care what he farms. At one point his vineyards were planted to Merlot (35%), Cabernet Sauvignon (30%), Cabernet Franc (20%) Petit Verdot (15%) and, at least at some point, some Malbec as well. However, those numbers are most likely outdated, seeing how unsystematically Boyer replants his vineyards - for example, he has a fallow vineyard next to the winery because he had the vines ripped off in mid-1950's and never replanted them.

The wines are both fermented (spontaneously with indigenous yeasts) and macerated in huge concrete tanks and most wines never see a smidgen of oak, since Boyer has only a small handful of barriques, which is not nearly enough to hold his annual production of approximately 30,000 bottles. Boyer's traditional way of making wines doesn't include punch-downs and the tanks have no built-in mechanism for pump-overs, so the only pump-overs the wines see is when Boyer manually tops up the tanks from a handful of large-format bottles he keeps next to the tanks. A portion of wine is aged for some months in the old, neutral barriques while the remaining wines age in these same concrete tanks, in which they are kept for 2-3 years - until Boyer deems the wine ready for bottling. Even then the wines are not released for the market, since Boyer sells the wines only when he thinks they are ready to be drunk. Normally he releases his wines only small numbers at a time, keeping a large library of back vintages at the winery. Thus, it isn't that rare to see multiple vintages of BAMA on the market at the same time, but never any recent vintages (since they are still aging at the winery!).

Stylistically the wines are not big, ripe or flashy, but instead quite stripped, bare and restrained. To my understanding, Boyer harvests relatively early, so the wines can be even quite lean, are often high in acidity and always modest in alcohol. Due to the lack of maceration, the wines never feel particularly extracted and can be quite light in tannins, even in very powerful and tannic vintages. One can easily describe the wines as "Burgundian", even though the more appropriate way of describing them would be "old-school Bordeaux" - since this is the style of wine made in the late 19th century, before the modernization of vinification and viticulture. While the rest of the Bordeaux has changed with the times, BAMA has not, and the wines offer a glimpse into the style of wine drunk more than a century ago.

Just to contrast the style of BAMA, we had one contemporary Bordeaux in the tasting as well - Château Tronquoy-Lalande 2010 - which felt quite enjoyable and balanced on the first sip, with bright, youthful fruit and somewhat noticeable, yet judicious use of oak. However, when returning to the wine after tasting a couple of BAMAs, the wine suddenly came across as very modern and polished in style with very noticeable alcohol and quite heavy-handed oak influence. It's remarkable how much one's view can change after successively tasting a few wines from the extreme stylistic ends of the spectrum. To BAMA's credit, I must point out that it didn't feel one bit thin, diluted or weak after returning to them after Tronquoy-Lalande!

bama.jpg
2009 Château Bel Air-Marquis d'Aligre

Reviving this most excellent thread from my Finnish friend.

Sorry that the 2009 you popped was flawed. I’m drinking it right now. The youngest BAMA that I have had, but I had an itch that needed to be scratched tonight. I figured with several in the wine fridge, and this vintage being a bit solar, was worth the flyer. It’s delicious.

The nose is a bit muted with only about an hour of air. We all know BAMA needs both time and air. Some dry earth and florals, brambly red fruits on the nose. The palate is not evocative of 2009, it’s more lithe, more red-fruit, more cool climate in sensation. Like soil-to-glass transfer, crushed in an old barn. Some saddle leather, old planks, hay and a melange of dry to ripe red fruits (cranberries, raspberries and both wild and ripe strawberries). Some hints of darker fruits with more air, as the wine starts to open and evolve. Structure is more acid-driven than tannic. Finish - not Finnish - is a bit dry and clipped. There is a rustic elegance about this wine that I find appealing. It’s no blockbuster, it’s just a no-nonsense “I am what I am” existential kind of wine. I love this stuff. A very good but but great vintage showing for BAMA, perhaps better over time, but for now, like 90 points.

E678F9A9-3B8D-4CF5-A722-F464CD857223.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

@lfert

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Once again, thanks to Otto for a truly OUTSTANDING thread and series of tasting notes. This thread should be bookmarked for this classic Chateau.

While I have deep experience with vintages like 1995, 96 and 2000, it was helpful as a guide to pick up just now, a vintage that I had not considered, 1998.

So here is the cool thing, jump on Commerce Corner and check out Patrick’s BAMA offering. These are seriously low prices. I just bought a mixed case of 2000, 1998, 1996 and 1995.

And I decided to pop a 2000 just now. This continues to be the finest vintage of BAMA that I have had. It is exquisite and getting better with maturity, tonight is the best showing that I have had. The classic expression of red Margaux-berries unadorned by any oaken trappings is just flat out stunning. This is one of the very finest Bordeaux that I have had this year. In my mixed case, 6 are from this vintage, and I already have some already. If you like classic Bordeaux, you need to check this out. If you like wines that perhaps resemble what Bordeaux tasted like a 100 years ago, then run. (96 pts.)

8EA1E775-1560-4C43-BF20-1210EA506ADD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@lfert

Otto Forsberg

#67 Post by Otto Forsberg »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 4:53 pm Once again, thanks to Otto for a truly OUTSTANDING thread and series of tasting notes. This thread should be bookmarked for this classic Chateau.

While I have deep experience with vintages like 1995, 96 and 2000, it was helpful as a guide to pick up just now, a vintage that I had not considered, 1998.

So here is the cool thing, jump on Commerce Corner and check out Patrick’s BAMA offering. These are seriously low prices. I just bought a mixed case of 2000, 1998, 1996 and 1995.

And I decided to pop a 2000 just now. This continues to be the finest vintage of BAMA that I have had. It is exquisite and getting better with maturity, tonight is the best showing that I have had. The classic expression of red Margaux-berries unadorned by any oaken trappings is just flat out stunning. This is one of the very finest Bordeaux that I have had this year. In my mixed case, 6 are from this vintage, and I already have some already. If you like classic Bordeaux, you need to check this out. If you like wines that perhaps resemble what Bordeaux tasted like a 100 years ago, then run. (96 pts.)

Really sounds like a damn stunner!
IG: force.berry / CT: forceberry

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

It’s fire, Otto. I’ve had about six bottles of this vintage over the last five years or so, and am usually around your 94-point range, but tonight the wine is more open, more plush - and I am loathe to use that term of BAMA, as I tend to love its rustic elegance - so in its prime drinking window. Perhaps it’s this bottle, or just a little more time in the bottle, but this wine stunned me tonight.

@lfert

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by MikeHill »

D*mn this thread. Still waiting on the mixed case order from Chambers, for my first taste of BAMA. See Robert's post, decide, what the hell, I don't want to wait, why not order another mixed case! Tell myself it's ok because the pricing is better!

[head-bang.gif] pileon [berserker.gif]

Marc Frontario

#70 Post by Marc Frontario »

Just another wine that Robert is going to drive up the price on 😜
Find something you love....and let it kill u....Charles Bukowski
I cannot escape the ravages of this man....R.Alfert
Like dancing Satyrs in a woodland Bacchanalian revelry (Lol..WTF Alfert?) neener

Jonathan Loesberg

#71 Post by Jonathan Loesberg »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 4:53 pm Once again, thanks to Otto for a truly OUTSTANDING thread and series of tasting notes. This thread should be bookmarked for this classic Chateau.

Thanks for alerting me to this. Despite the number of buyers before me, he still had some left a little while ago.

HMechbal

#72 Post by HMechbal »

Hey Robert,
Thanks for the note ! How did you prepare the wine ? I'm planning to open a 2000 next week. Hope to get the same fireworks as you :)
Hamza

Claus Jeppesen

#73 Post by Claus Jeppesen »

Thanks Robert for keeping Ottos thread alive and kicking. Awesome wines. Had the 1964 recently
A stunner with plenty of more years
Need to purchase the 2009. Thanks again
Claus

Riesling and Slate

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Claus Jeppesen wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 8:11 am Thanks Robert for keeping Ottos thread alive and kicking. Awesome wines. Had the 1964 recently
A stunner with plenty of more years
Need to purchase the 2009. Thanks again
wow, the 64 would be super cool to try. I seem to recall a post from Sir William, commenting on how this Chateau performs well in so-called "off-years". Not calling 64 an off-year, but I think his comment was in reference to the 69.

@lfert

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

HMechbal wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 7:35 am Hey Robert,
Thanks for the note ! How did you prepare the wine ? I'm planning to open a 2000 next week. Hope to get the same fireworks as you :)
Yea I can often be rather Neanderthal or spontaneous, which frankly for this Chateau, can be a mistake. These wines do need time and air. The 2000, however, is probably the best vintage for an unplanned pop and pour. I've never had a dud in this vintage. I'd still give it a full hour in a decanter. Hopefully Otto can chime in with better insight.

@lfert

Pat Martin

#76 Post by Pat Martin »

Ridiculous amounts of enablement (for me at least) going on in this thread….

I hope Alfert is getting some sort of commission or honorarium from this chateau, he’s certainly earned it. Robert, are you registered as a foreign agent???
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Pat Martin wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 3:48 pm Ridiculous amounts of enablement (for me at least) going on in this thread….

I hope Alfert is getting some sort of commission or honorarium from this chateau, he’s certainly earned it. Robert, are you registered as a foreign agent???
Well, the last name is French! Allegedly. [cheers.gif]

Finishing off the 2000 right now, it’s glorious.

@lfert

D Zurcher
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#78 Post by D Zurcher »

Thankfully I was paying attention this morning and have a few’00’s (and a few other vintages) headed my way when the weather cools. Looking forward to these.
DanZ

Otto Forsberg

#79 Post by Otto Forsberg »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 8:18 am
HMechbal wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 7:35 am Hey Robert,
Yea I can often be rather Neanderthal or spontaneous, which frankly for this Chateau, can be a mistake. These wines do need time and air. The 2000, however, is probably the best vintage for an unplanned pop and pour. I've never had a dud in this vintage. I'd still give it a full hour in a decanter. Hopefully Otto can chime in with better insight.
I, too, rarely bother to use my decanter and prefer to drink wines spontaneously, giving them time to open up in glasses rather than in decanter. However, BAMA is definitely a producer that almost invariably needs time to open up. It's hard to comment on this vintage, since I've had it only once (this tasting) and all wines were given proper aeration. Can't say yes or no about the pop'n'pour part, but I agree fully with giving it at least an hour in a decanter, perhaps even more. However, I think something like six hours plus is overkill. An hour or two seems to be enough to get these going and the rest of the magic usually happens in the glass.
IG: force.berry / CT: forceberry

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Best BAMA?
9BB83E10-B2A8-41A1-900A-366E042E96B8.jpeg

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Jayson Cohen wrote: July 24th, 2021, 7:48 am Best BAMA?

Well, duh. Of course.

;)

never had it, but I’ll give it a 97

@lfert

Laurent Gibet

#82 Post by Laurent Gibet »

BAMA first verticale :
1959 : 17,5/18
1961 : 18/20
1947 : 19/20

Second verticale :
1959 : 17/20
1962 : 18/20
1961 : 18,5/20
1947 : 18/20

After 8 tastings, the 1947 appears to be the best BAMA ever, still alive.
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by William Kelley »

I think the 1955 is better than the 1947 and 1959, guys, you need to try it!
The Wine Advocate

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Laurent Gibet wrote: July 24th, 2021, 9:27 am

BAMA first verticale :

Second verticale :

Was your 59 in magnum?

Laurent Gibet

#85 Post by Laurent Gibet »

Jayson Cohen wrote: July 24th, 2021, 9:28 am
Laurent Gibet wrote: July 24th, 2021, 9:27 am

BAMA first verticale :

Second verticale :

Was your 59 in magnum?
No, it was not, in both cases ...
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Warren Taranow »

Otto Forsberg wrote: October 4th, 2020, 7:37 am
[*]1996 Château Bel Air-Marquis d'Aligre - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (2.9.2020)
12,5% alcohol. Tasted after 5-6 hours of decanting.

Quite translucent and moderately evolved red with a somewhat rusty maroon hue and a clear, colorless rim. The nose feels surprisingly restrained and slightly dusty with very understated aromas of developed blackcurrant-driven fruit, some campfire smoke, a little bit of sappy leafy character and a hint of earth. The wine is silky, medium-to-moderately full-bodied and somewhat dull on the palate with quite reticent flavors of ripe blackcurrants, some red-toned plummy fruit, a little bit of dusty earth, light gamey notes of meat, a hint of tobacco and an autumnal touch of old leaves. The wine is rather high in acidity with rather grippy and somewhat angular medium tannins. The finish is quite long, dry and dusty with some tannic grip and rather light flavors of blackcurrants, some dusty earth, a little bit of leafy greenness and a hint of tobacco.

A surprisingly reticent, dull and underwhelming vintage of BA-Marquis. People were wondering if the wine was suffering from a very mild case of TCA - not enough to make the wine feel corked, but enough to mute the fruit - but reading the CT tasting notes it seems quite obvious that we had a textbook 1996 BAMA. In this vintage when almost everybody else made thoroughly impressive powerhouses of wine, BAMA seems to have made a very reticent, dull and underwhelming wine that was rather a dud upon opening and never really got any better over the evening. Almost a polar opposite to 1998 - a vintage which was rather poor on the Left Bank yet in which BAMA excelled. I can imagine this wine will keep just fine for many more years - perhaps even decades - since it doesn't show much evolution, but I doubt it is going to be a memorable vintage, no matter how old it gets. If you get to choose, pick any other 1990's vintage of BAMA over this one. Rather poor value at 39,90€.
(83 pts.)
We must have been lucky tonight. Our bottle of ‘96 BAMA was brilliant. P&P. Dark ruby with an amber rim. Restrained and elegant, with smoky crisp red berries, cassis, pipe tobacco. Very fine tannins are only apparent when I draw air through my teeth. Marybeth, who hasn’t liked many Bordeaux I’ve opened recently, loved this one, as did I. I’m happy to have a few more of these, and several other vintages.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#87 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Thanks to the fantastic packing of Patrick Albright, my BAMAs arrived cool to the touch today, and I plan to go full-Berserker for tomorrow's dinner, having a Berserker-sold BAMA (probably '95) with Morgan Ranch Tenderloin Tips.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Aleks V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Aleks V »

This stuff is obviously popular. I got an email from chambers st wines yesterday, loaded up a cart and prepared to check out with a couple today, and everything was gone! There must have been 60 bottles per vintage of 7-8 vintages, so a pretty large volume moved quickly. Guess I need to be faster next time!
Oy-V3y

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Brent S »

Picked up my 4 bottles from lopa man Scott. 95,98,2000, 2005. I’ll open 98 first.
Br en t. Sp ren kle
Manhattan Beach, Ca

Adam Frisch

#90 Post by Adam Frisch »

Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Aleks V wrote: September 14th, 2021, 9:03 pm This stuff is obviously popular. I got an email from chambers st wines yesterday, loaded up a cart and prepared to check out with a couple today, and everything was gone! There must have been 60 bottles per vintage of 7-8 vintages, so a pretty large volume moved quickly. Guess I need to be faster next time!
I did the same thing, I shoulda know better. Just had the 2000 on Saturday with a 5 hour decant, very special.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#92 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: September 14th, 2021, 8:28 pm Thanks to the fantastic packing of Patrick Albright, my BAMAs arrived cool to the touch today, and I plan to go full-Berserker for tomorrow's dinner, having a Berserker-sold BAMA (probably '95) with Morgan Ranch Tenderloin Tips.
From Coravin, I found this shy at first, fleshing out with some air. Early on I had a sort of chocolate covered ginger on the palate that was interesting, and now I'm getting a bit of pepper, but specifically jalapeño (yet not spicy) on the nose which I love - I do enjoy these unique qualities in a Bordeaux, some aspects I've never before experienced. Sweet cherry, graphite, saddle leather (classic Bordeaux profile), jerky, rich soil and iodine abound as well. I find this wonderfully rustic, not terribly elegant. Very enjoyable, glad I have some 2000 and more '95. I think this is in the perfect drinking window for my preferences.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: September 15th, 2021, 6:46 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote: September 14th, 2021, 8:28 pm Thanks to the fantastic packing of Patrick Albright, my BAMAs arrived cool to the touch today, and I plan to go full-Berserker for tomorrow's dinner, having a Berserker-sold BAMA (probably '95) with Morgan Ranch Tenderloin Tips.
From Coravin, I found this shy at first, fleshing out with some air. Early on I had a sort of chocolate covered ginger on the palate that was interesting, and now I'm getting a bit of pepper, but specifically jalapeño (yet not spicy) on the nose which I love - I do enjoy these unique qualities in a Bordeaux, some aspects I've never before experienced. Sweet cherry, graphite, saddle leather (classic Bordeaux profile), jerky, rich soil and iodine abound as well. I find this wonderfully rustic, not terribly elegant. Very enjoyable, glad I have some 2000 and more '95. I think this is in the perfect drinking window for my preferences.
I think decanting is necessary to show best, but I don’t coravin. This was the ‘95?

Scott Watkins
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#94 Post by Scott Watkins »

I had a nice 95 that was interesting like Todd's note and a really good 96 but the 98 was everything I had hoped for with these wines. Looking forward to trying the 2000.
I get my best ideas in a thunderstorm. I have the power and majesty of nature on my side.
Ralph Steadmam

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#95 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: September 15th, 2021, 7:21 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote: September 15th, 2021, 6:46 pm
I think decanting is necessary to show best, but I don’t coravin. This was the ‘95?
Yes, '95 - sorry didn't clarify the 'probably' above. I'm sure I'll love the 2000, if this is showing as interesting as it does.

The rest of the bottle will have the effect of decanting, and I look forward to it tomorrow or Friday [cheers.gif]

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by MikeHill »

I recently had both the 95 and the 2000, both lovely in the style described above. The 2000 was definitely a notch above, and it needed some air for sure to show its best.

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#97 Post by brigcampbell »

MikeHill wrote: September 15th, 2021, 8:40 pm I recently had both the 95 and the 2000, both lovely in the style described above. The 2000 was definitely a notch above, and it needed some air for sure to show its best.

• 1995 Château Bel Air-Marquis d'Aligre - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (9/22/2021)
    blind: Guess old Napa, mid 80's. Martha's?

Dark and dusty nose. Old coffee grounds and lots of tobacco leaf. Eucalyptus/cigar finish. A bit light mid-palate. Super entertaining wine.
Posted from CellarTracker
Don't hate me just because I'm rich and drive a Ferrari. I could buy this wine board. - Cash Steele

D Zurcher
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#98 Post by D Zurcher »

Thanks to Patrick Albright this nice little case arrived on my doorstep today-looking forward to opening one of these in the next few weeks-
BAMA.jpeg
DanZ

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

D Zurcher wrote: October 15th, 2021, 1:16 pm Thanks to Patrick Albright this nice little case arrived on my doorstep today-looking forward to opening one of these in the next few weeks-

BAMA.jpeg
Try the 2000 first. It shows really well right now. Give these wines considerable airtime.

@lfert

D Zurcher
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#100 Post by D Zurcher »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: October 15th, 2021, 1:55 pm
D Zurcher wrote: October 15th, 2021, 1:16 pm Thanks to Patrick Albright this nice little case arrived on my doorstep today-looking forward to opening one of these in the next few weeks-

BAMA.jpeg
Try the 2000 first. It shows really well right now. Give these wines considerable airtime.
Thanks-appreciate the advice. Looks like you're having quite a good weekend!
DanZ

Return to “Wine Talk”