What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

#551 Post by Eric White »

yeah, the barnyard I got was definitely reductive, it did finally blow off. I have a half bottle remaining to taste later today, looking forward to it. In the end, I found it a bit disjointed, but definitely high quality. Still undecided if I'll go back for more

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#552 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Considering a case of No. 43 too.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Michael Feldman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#553 Post by Michael Feldman »

Rich Brown wrote: November 27th, 2020, 4:10 pm
Toby P wrote: November 27th, 2020, 3:44 pm
Michael Feldman wrote: November 27th, 2020, 2:58 pm

As I indicated in my previous comments, I will be more than happy to send you my remaining bottles at cost ( plus price of shipping) if you think this wine is wonderful. I find your comments insulting and I am not sure why you feel that you need to defend Cameron Hughes OG 1.
I have liked the OG 2 the OG 17, and the OG 27. The OG 1 sucked (and I know what a good Cabernet and a good Pinot tastes like).
The OG 1 did not look like a Cabernet, did not taste like a Cabernet. It was not drinkable! I find it amusing that because unnamed people liked the wines ( generally people who have no idea what they are drinking will LOVE wines that someone tells them are “good wines”.)
Again, since you seem to be in love with the OG 1, I am offering you a great deal. PM me and I will send you my remaining OG 1s.
You sound like someone who knows a great deal about wine and I look forward to providing further enjoyment for you in the future.
Lol is this a joke? This is one of the more ridiculous, obnoxious posts I think I’ve seen here. I said the vast majority of people liked this one and though it tasted like cab, thus it was more likely that the one very negative review was more of an outlier. Your post is basically saying that you are some master of wine tasting whose lone opinion should trump all others? And I also went out of my way to say it in a respectful way and point out there is nothing wrong with your opinion, as wine is subjective and everyone may experience things differently.

I have not tried the wine myself, and while sure I’d be interested in a few at cost, there are now plenty others available with free shipping and frankly I don’t even want to go near dealing with you on a transaction
I'm not Michael, but I assumed he was responding to Chris Crutchfields comment. If that is correct, I actually thought his response was pretty spot on/reasonable given Chris's post was, IMHO, totally uncalled for and (as Michael mentioned) insulting
I was responding to Chris Crutchfields condescending comments. My apologies to Toby P. For the misunderstanding.

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#554 Post by Toby P »

happy to move on and back to tasting notes / wine

has anyone tried both the 43 and 49...or otherwise have an opinion between them? Debating picking one up as a good daily drinker cab, all my other DN cabs have been the higher tier ones that should probably be mostly left to sit for at least a year (if not much longer)
P r a t t

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#555 Post by Eric White »

I revisited the half bottle of 43 this morning, just for a quick taste. I am certain that, in time, I will fully enjoy my remaining 11 bottles, but I was not compelled to pull the trigger on a 2nd case.

Chris S p i k e s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#556 Post by Chris S p i k e s »

Opened 41 off the truck today. Really disagree with those calling it a blueberry milkshake and comparing it to Caymus. I think Cam's note is pretty accurate for my palate. It's definitely full throttle and intense and if that isn't your thing, you shouldn't buy this. But, it doesn't have the vanilla-y sweet taste that Caymus has. The wood is prominent, but not overwhelming. More like your routine high end Napa cab. I'm good with this purchase.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#557 Post by Jay $$ Winton »

Opened a 50 for a couple of hours in the decanter. Nice initial nose.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

EAScrog
GCC Member
GCC Member

#558 Post by EAScrog »

PeterH wrote: November 14th, 2020, 8:34 pm Opened my first OG tonight, the #37 Viognier. Not an auspicious start. Now I've no right to complain about a wine costing $8 plus tax and shipping ~$11 delivered.

I remember hearing about fifty years ago a line from John Cage's Silences, "Anything is a pleasure unless you would rather be doing something else". I didn't wholly understand that at the time. My father is now 96 yo., and in spite of his limited abilities, considers any moment alive to be a pleasure.
Getting to the point, drinking #37 is a pleasure, except that I'd rather be drinking something else with more character. There is a limited number of wines I will ever drink, and I'm going to make the rest of the Viogniers in that selection other than #37. I'll pay more for Dominio IV, for example, or if I want a top end experience, Condrieu.

There is nothing wrong with #37. It is not overripe, over-oaked, over sulfured (as per a previous note), or underdone. It is just not exciting. At all.
Anyone want some?
I finally got around to this thread. Agree with Peter H; it's a great description and this is the only Dud so far. But I'll wait until February to let it settle down some more and hopefully it'll be better.
e l i z a B e t h

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#559 Post by Peter C. »

N50 right off the truck like Mssr Pobega taught us. Delicious - serious and brooding w savory/game and dark berry notes. Not as tannic as N25 is now, but nor is it as complex. Needs time but it’s not shocked at all. Dump one into a decanter.
( z y ® y ( @

tpetty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#560 Post by tpetty »

Opened my first OG last night - #15 Merlot - after an hour decant. I don't drink a lot of merlot, but this was really good. Tasted like the $40-50 Merlots I would get in the various Napa wine clubs I used to belong to.
T *** P e t t y

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#561 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o »

mikepf1 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 8:53 am Cracked an N.50 last night in the name of science. Walla Walla cabernet. Opened in the a.m. after taking delivery and let it sit for the day. This is a serious wine. Dark in the glass with lots of black fruits. Great structure. Obviously way too early to drink but glad have 11 more of these to enjoy after some time in the bottle.
Mike - check your PM's (from Todd) re real name policy.

loren.grossman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#562 Post by loren.grossman »

Fwiw, I opened a bottle of the Chehalem Pinot Noir, D blend (OG 70D?) and enjoyed it. It is ridiculously young and has not put on the weight or flesh that I am sure it will in a year or maybe two. At the moment, it is a ruby tinged, mid weight, nicely balanced Pinot showing red fruit, good acids, some minerality and some clove driven spice. I’d give it a solid B/B+ and would say that at $20 it is fairly priced. As the wine gets sorted it may well offer even more enjoyment.
Last edited by loren.grossman on November 29th, 2020, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loren.grossman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#563 Post by loren.grossman »

PeterH wrote: November 14th, 2020, 8:34 pm Opened my first OG tonight, the #37 Viognier. Not an auspicious start. Now I've no right to complain about a wine costing $8 plus tax and shipping ~$11 delivered.

I remember hearing about fifty years ago a line from John Cage's Silences, "Anything is a pleasure unless you would rather be doing something else". I didn't wholly understand that at the time. My father is now 96 yo., and in spite of his limited abilities, considers any moment alive to be a pleasure.
Getting to the point, drinking #37 is a pleasure, except that I'd rather be drinking something else with more character. There is a limited number of wines I will ever drink, and I'm going to make the rest of the Viogniers in that selection other than #37. I'll pay more for Dominio IV, for example, or if I want a top end experience, Condrieu.

There is nothing wrong with #37. It is not overripe, over-oaked, over sulfured (as per a previous note), or underdone. It is just not exciting. At all.
Anyone want some?
Peter - Great note. I happen to love Dominio IV Viognier as well. Best domestic Viognier available? [cheers.gif]

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#564 Post by Eric White »

I'm drinking No. 50, Walla Walla Cab right now, decanted about 4 hours ago. Glad to have made a last minute decision yesterday to double down and get another case, this wine is going to be terrific. Really nice, clean nose of bing cherries, plums, spice, and just a touch of heat. Fine tannins offer a full, rich feel in the mouth, and while the heat shows a tad here too, the wine is nicely balanced and polished. I likely won't touch another for a year or more, as this has a lot of room to improve. I don't get how anyone could mistake this for anything other than a cabernet.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#565 Post by Nate Simon »

#9, Carmel Pinot. This is really nice. Showing some stylish strawberry and rhubarb fruit. I think this is on the very early side of drinkability, and should be good for a few years.

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#566 Post by C. Heinsen »

Has anyone tried the Petite Syrah yet? I just tried it and it’s a little backward right now. Seems like bottle shock for sure, but was curious if anyone else had a different experience?
C h r i s

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#567 Post by John O' »

had the 21 Atlas Peak cab with dinner last night. Decanted 4 hours. Either not ready or not that good. I believe the former.
O Sullivan

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#568 Post by Mark Morrissette »

John O' wrote: November 30th, 2020, 3:11 am had the 21 Atlas Peak cab with dinner last night. Decanted 4 hours. Either not ready or not that good. I believe the former.
I have had a couple bottles of the 21, and agree. The frustrating part for me is, I specifically chose dN selections it seemed would drink well now, without having to wait 2-5 years.

I chose #21 because Cam's note said, "...its already showing well and should be drinking nicely by mid-August. Of course, the best of this wine is still to come and I think its will be wonderfully approachable by this Fall." It does not seem approachable yet to me.

I am going to try to hold off at least a few months to drink more of these, but (unlike other dN purchases) I am not terribly thrilled with this one.

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#569 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

Mark Morrissette wrote: November 30th, 2020, 5:37 am
I have had a couple bottles of the 21, and agree. The frustrating part for me is, I specifically chose dN selections it seemed would drink well now, without having to wait 2-5 years.

I chose #21 because Cam's note said, "...its already showing well and should be drinking nicely by mid-August. Of course, the best of this wine is still to come and I think its will be wonderfully approachable by this Fall." It does not seem approachable yet to me.

I am going to try to hold off at least a few months to drink more of these, but (unlike other dN purchases) I am not terribly thrilled with this one.
I had a similar experience with Cab 25. I opened knowing it was young, but wanted to check to see if I should add more during the sale given it probably has the highest number of good reviews and Cam's description that it drinks well now with a good decant. Decanted two hours and served blind to three fellow wineauxs to get their opinion. All identified it as a very young cab/bordeaux blend with a moderate floral nose. On the palate it is light bodied with some crisp red fruit, a little thin and tart, and more cherry than raspberry (the latter from Cam's note). All agreed it was a well-made wine, no flaws, but nothing in the glass even whispered this is a "well north of $75/btl" wine. Before I revealed the wine, I said I paid $75 and they said I was robbed; however, to be fair, $75 is an expensive wine for us. No real change in the glass the first night, but I saved half in a 375 and revisited the next night. This made a nice transformation that is comforting given 11 more bottles in the cellar. This now has more red/cassis/cherry on the nose with secondary floral notes. Much better integrated with deeper red/cassis/cherry fruit along with some green/bell pepper notes and tart young tannin. I don't have a lot of experience with mountain cabs, but don't get big/brawny structure, much more elegant. Also not sure the fruit will last 20 yrs, but easily 10.

While confirming my decision not to buy more, I think this will develop into a very good cab with time in the cellar. At this stage, it fits the narrative of a great buy at the purchase price, but I would be sorely disappointed if I paid $75+. I will hold off on drinking any more for at least a year.

Scott K

#570 Post by Scott K »

Just received the long-awaited N.44. Anyone tried this yet?
K @ m p E l

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#571 Post by Chris H. »

Just opened #41 fresh off of the UPS truck! My plan is to slow ox it for the day and consume during/after dinner. I poured a few ounces out just to see how it is. It's very modern styled, large scaled, oak/vanilla/ripe fruit. I'll wait to add more notes until this evening, but in short--this is exactly what I expected, and I am happy. I purchased this to serve at parties, to my Caymus loving friends--and also for myself when the mood strikes (my tastes run the gamut). Please note, the label says 16.1% ABV, wowzers.

So far so good!
H a r r i s

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#572 Post by Chris H. »

Scott K wrote: November 30th, 2020, 10:19 am Just received the long-awaited N.44. Anyone tried this yet?
I should be getting this tomorrow! Of all of the releases, I am excited for this one the most.
H a r r i s

rsmithjr

#573 Post by rsmithjr »

John O' wrote: November 30th, 2020, 3:11 am had the 21 Atlas Peak cab with dinner last night. Decanted 4 hours. Either not ready or not that good. I believe the former.
I opened abottle 2 weeks ago and it shows real promise IMHO. Still young though...
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#574 Post by Toby P »

rsmithjr wrote: November 30th, 2020, 12:04 pm
I opened abottle 2 weeks ago and it shows real promise IMHO. Still young though...
CT notes seem quite positive but overwhelming consensus that it is super young and really needs 1-2 yrs minimum to develop. I'll probably try one near term for the heck of it and let the rest sit at least another year before revisiting.
P r a t t

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#575 Post by larry schaffer »

Can you please clarify what you mean by 'not good'? Specifics?

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

rsmithjr

#576 Post by rsmithjr »

Going to try 42 tonite, see how it is.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#577 Post by Peter C. »

Just Pobega’d N.44. Another winner. Bit oakier than others I’ve tried but pure fruit beneath and refined tannin I’m the finish. Medium bodied, no reason not to pop one now.
( z y ® y ( @

JimmyP

#578 Post by JimmyP »

It's good to hear the enthusiastic reviews for #43.
I"ve had 14 different OG Napa Cabs, the #43 was my least favorite. after a 2 1/2 hour decant, very little on the nose ... only a little grape must. On the palate, it was quite sour, with faint fruit, and strong tannins.
I'll come back to this next Xmas !
P r 0 \/\/ @ k

Chris Crutchfield

#579 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Not that it needs to be repeated yet again, but N.17 is a very nice wine and a QPR winner. Drinks like a wine that is 3x the price of the original offer.

Rohit B

#580 Post by Rohit B »

Said to hell with it and opened an N66 tonight, which supposedly is the Clos Du Val SVS cab sauv. I started drinking wine "seriously" in July, so please take my thoughts for what they're worth.

Decanted and occasionally shaken for 2 hours.

Nose is pretty tight, hard to pick out much of anything. Medium-full body palate, some good dark red berries and black fruit. Definitely tannic at this stage, but they felt very "fine-grained" if that makes sense. Picked up some sweet dark chocolate, cinnamon, and baking spice on the finish, presumably from the oak. Felt pretty well balanced overall, no pointy edges. I think this will develop very well over the next 5-10 years, possibly longer. Very happy to have 11 more.

In summary, the quality is there, but wait a few months (if not a year) or give this a couple more hours in the decanter.
13 h @ n

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#581 Post by Bdklein »

Chris H. wrote: November 30th, 2020, 11:47 am Just opened #41 fresh off of the UPS truck! My plan is to slow ox it for the day and consume during/after dinner. I poured a few ounces out just to see how it is. It's very modern styled, large scaled, oak/vanilla/ripe fruit. I'll wait to add more notes until this evening, but in short--this is exactly what I expected, and I am happy. I purchased this to serve at parties, to my Caymus loving friends--and also for myself when the mood strikes (my tastes run the gamut). Please note, the label says 16.1% ABV, wowzers.

So far so good!
Any tannins? Or fruit only ?
Bruce Klein

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#582 Post by Mike R »

I had a similar experience with No 21, but I tend to think that it is just not that great of a wine. Unfortunately, there is simply no way that every single offering from DN is good, so we are bound to have a few offerings that are stinkers. It can't just be that every wine that is unenjoyable goes from "it will be wonderfully approachable by this Fall" to "yeah it isn't good now, but it'll be amazing in 3 years!" Some wines just aren't good.
... 0 p 3 r

rsmithjr

#583 Post by rsmithjr »

# 42 notes from CT for me last night.

Options11/30/2020 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 91 points (Edit)
Immediately upon opening it has an incredibly complex nose. Iodine, iron, varnish, some black fruits. Palette id closed mostly. Not super sweet as some suggested. Tannins, present.Not opaque as I was thinking. Iot has structure, and will develop. 91 pts is my high offer...Lol

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#584 Post by Chris H. »

Bdklein wrote: November 30th, 2020, 8:44 pm
Chris H. wrote: November 30th, 2020, 11:47 am Just opened #41 fresh off of the UPS truck! My plan is to slow ox it for the day and consume during/after dinner. I poured a few ounces out just to see how it is. It's very modern styled, large scaled, oak/vanilla/ripe fruit. I'll wait to add more notes until this evening, but in short--this is exactly what I expected, and I am happy. I purchased this to serve at parties, to my Caymus loving friends--and also for myself when the mood strikes (my tastes run the gamut). Please note, the label says 16.1% ABV, wowzers.

So far so good!
Hi, there are tannins (medium grained), to match the fruit, and it didn't detract from the drinking experience. I think the thing that stuck out to me, is the ABV, especially as the wine warmed up from cellar temperature, so the next time I serve it, I'll keep it at the 55-60 degree temp. Overall worth the price, for me, but I like big cabs--I could see this being a bit much for some that are used to drinking moderate/classic Cali cabs (Monte Bello, Mt. Eden, Frog's Leap, Chateau Montelena, etc.). This wine is in the vein of Caymus, Austin Hope, but they have a bit more polish--hopefully the wine will come more together in time. I'll revisit in a few weeks.
H a r r i s

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#585 Post by John O' »

larry schaffer wrote: November 30th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Can you please clarify what you mean by 'not good'? Specifics?

Cheers!
Larry - I didn't say "not good", I said "not that good", which is my way of saying it was OK, but not the hyped wine I was hoping for. Still, there was something about it that made me think with age it might get there.
Sorry, I can't be more helpful that that. I'm the world's worst when it comes to descriptors.
O Sullivan

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#586 Post by John Webber »

N.16 Sav Blanc came off the truck and into our glasses yesterday and it was delicious. In my mind, a cross between Arkenstone and a more dominant Merry Edwards. Happy to have 23 more and would add to if offered again.

Paul Flynn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#587 Post by Paul Flynn »

#38 just arrived. I noticed the cork difference. These do not have OG stamped on the end and they appear to be real as opposed to Diam or agglomerated.
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#588 Post by Peter C. »

Just cracked N.73 RRV Chard (Garbro/Dehlinger) off the truck and it's awesome. Definitely elegant and delineated, with just enough tropical fruit that you know it's from Cali.
( z y ® y ( @

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#589 Post by Bdklein »

Chris H. wrote: December 1st, 2020, 8:55 am

So far so good!
Hi, there are tannins (medium grained), to match the fruit, and it didn't detract from the drinking experience. I think the thing that stuck out to me, is the ABV, especially as the wine warmed up from cellar temperature, so the next time I serve it, I'll keep it at the 55-60 degree temp. Overall worth the price, for me, but I like big cabs--I could see this being a bit much for some that are used to drinking moderate/classic Cali cabs (Monte Bello, Mt. Eden, Frog's Leap, Chateau Montelena, etc.). This wine is in the vein of Caymus, Austin Hope, but they have a bit more polish--hopefully the wine will come more together in time. I'll revisit in a few weeks.
Thanks . I bought this wine with friends of ours who like big Cali Cabs. Seems like it will be right up their alley. Keep in mind this wine is 1/3 the price of a bottle of Caymus .
Bruce Klein

Nick Ellis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#590 Post by Nick Ellis »

Opened a #16 tonight right off the truck. Very nice for Cali SB, and a dead ringer for Eric Kent Cuvée Renee.

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#591 Post by Chris H. »

Bdklein wrote: December 1st, 2020, 5:37 pm
Chris H. wrote: December 1st, 2020, 8:55 am

Thanks . I bought this wine with friends of ours who like big Cali Cabs. Seems like it will be right up their alley. Keep in mind this wine is 1/3 the price of a bottle of Caymus .
I did a 6 hour slow ox, and 2 hours of consumptions with a few friends. The wine did not fall apart, so next time, I may do morning slow ox for dinner consumption, or a full blown decant for all day--which I hardly ever do. Yes, it's a value compared to Caymus, since they are similar! I'll probably have to do a blind tasting with friends that like Caymus. Probably thinking a Myriad Napa Valley, DeNegoce, and Caymus, just for fun.
H a r r i s

rsmithjr

#592 Post by rsmithjr »

Will do a # 68 -"Pride" Cabernet tonite with prime steaks from Costco-

rsmithjr

#593 Post by rsmithjr »

Should I decant ??? Maybe 2 hours? Comments, jokes, Jeers?

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#594 Post by Toby P »

Was very tempted by 68 on Black Friday, looking forward to your thoughts. I think there were a couple of positive reactions earlier on this thread, although worth keeping in mind the description says "best of this wine is a couple years out" (which is prob true for all the higher end DN cabs, but maybe notable that Cam went out of his way to say that).
P r a t t

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#595 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Toby P wrote: November 27th, 2020, 8:42 pm
Eric White wrote: November 27th, 2020, 5:27 pm based on today's re-offer, I decided to pop a No.43, 2018 Napa (Oakville/St. Helena) Cabernet Sauvignon (thought to be Boeschen). Decanted for 2 1/2 hours, this is quite a serious wine, of that there can be no doubt. Powerful nose black current, graphite, violets. Quite tannic and tight on the palate. The one thing that gives me pause on ordering another case is the slight barnyard notes I'm getting. I suspect since this was only recently bottled that this is reduction, rather than brett, but it does make me go hmm... Will be interesting to see if it blows off.
Fwiw I don’t think 43 is Boeschen - that was just #42 (it’s a mailing list only $100+ wine, supposedly). 43 I think was supposed to be Mondavi or something?
I've said this before about OG 43- Schrader Double Diamond? Schrader uses Beckstoffer as an Estate (in Oakville) AND uses Beckstoffer Las Piedras in St. Helena for other wines- The DD label is a 2nd tier wine to Schrader's top releases. Thomas River Brown is winemaker there- has a magical touch with most wines he makes. This fits with Cam's "Well over $600/case" comment for OG 43.

Boeschen has an 11 estate vineyard in St Helena that I can see. No Oakville estate.

Ordered a 2nd case of 43 last weekend during free shipping- arriving today. Cheers.

T0ny Dr13r

#596 Post by T0ny Dr13r »

Long time lurker on this board. Opened a #8 today and let it decant for 5 hours. Drinking extremely well. It will not survive the rest of the night which is pretty rare in this house.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#597 Post by Max S. »

Stephen Faulkner wrote: November 30th, 2020, 7:45 am

I had a similar experience with Cab 25. I opened knowing it was young, but wanted to check to see if I should add more during the sale given it probably has the highest number of good reviews and Cam's description that it drinks well now with a good decant. Decanted two hours and served blind to three fellow wineauxs to get their opinion. All identified it as a very young cab/bordeaux blend with a moderate floral nose. On the palate it is light bodied with some crisp red fruit, a little thin and tart, and more cherry than raspberry (the latter from Cam's note). All agreed it was a well-made wine, no flaws, but nothing in the glass even whispered this is a "well north of $75/btl" wine. Before I revealed the wine, I said I paid $75 and they said I was robbed; however, to be fair, $75 is an expensive wine for us. No real change in the glass the first night, but I saved half in a 375 and revisited the next night. This made a nice transformation that is comforting given 11 more bottles in the cellar. This now has more red/cassis/cherry on the nose with secondary floral notes. Much better integrated with deeper red/cassis/cherry fruit along with some green/bell pepper notes and tart young tannin. I don't have a lot of experience with mountain cabs, but don't get big/brawny structure, much more elegant. Also not sure the fruit will last 20 yrs, but easily 10.

While confirming my decision not to buy more, I think this will develop into a very good cab with time in the cellar. At this stage, it fits the narrative of a great buy at the purchase price, but I would be sorely disappointed if I paid $75+. I will hold off on drinking any more for at least a year.
My thoughts on N.25 are:
Night 1: Well, not bad
Night 2: I'd buy another case

vs

My thoughts on N.21
Nights 1-4: I hope this shit gets better.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#598 Post by Jay $$ Winton »

Another 16 last night. Even better than previous bottles.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

rsmithjr

#599 Post by rsmithjr »

# 68 was very nice. Great bouquet and still young. Medium light bodied, flavors were muted but it is going to be nice.

rsmithjr

#600 Post by rsmithjr »

I drank 21 with a friend who likes good red wine and she was impressed by it.

Return to “Wine Talk”