What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Peter Valiquette

Re: What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

#351 Post by Peter Valiquette » November 3rd, 2020, 5:40 pm

I pobega’d a 61 zin straight from the truck this afternoon.

Red berries, spice, and a light herbaceous accent on a medium body that trends toward acidity and freshness through the clean finish.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#352 Post by Max S. » November 3rd, 2020, 5:58 pm

Final thoughts on OG 21: Days 1-3 were solid, day 4 it started tanking. A little hot throughout, but not overwhelmingly so. Happy with it for $20, but would not rebuy.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

James Mc

#353 Post by James Mc » November 3rd, 2020, 6:10 pm

Michael Feldman wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 4:48 pm
Received OG 27 last week. Had in a wine cooler for the last week. Decided to pop one tonight with a truly eclectic dinner (cocktail franks, Costco egg rolls and dumplings).
Wine was DELICIOUS! Bright fruit and tannins that were well balanced with the rest of the wine.
Better than an $85 Napa Cab (board favorite from 2014) that I had the other night.
Best De Negoce Cab out of four that I have tasted so far ( 1,2,17 being the others). Will rest the others for 6 months and try another then.
Thats great to hear. I was thinking 27, 28, 29 could be some of the best offers, so am excited to try these in ‘21.
McCormick Seasonings

Aleks V

#354 Post by Aleks V » November 3rd, 2020, 6:59 pm

OG 40 came off the truck today. It’s the Diamond Mountain cab that’s available mailing list only at the winery. Popped open, ran through an aerator and let sit in a glass for ~1 hour.

First impression was a bit of yeasty/ doughiness on the nose, this blew off pretty quickly and wasn’t noticeable on the palate. Definitely red fruit dominated, some green pepper, some minerality. This was reported at around 50% new oak, but i didn’t notice the oak at all (granted I am not that sensitive to it). More acidic and less tannic than I would have expected, gives the wine a bit less structure and a more medium bodied ness than I’d expect from a typical Napa cab. Finish isn’t overly long.

It’s good right now, but definitely tightly wound and nowhere near its $120/ bottle branded price point. I think this could be more interesting in a couple years but not sure how long this will go the distance - it doesn’t strike me as a super long ager (qualifying that this is my guess).
Oy-V3y

ChrisWolff

#355 Post by ChrisWolff » November 3rd, 2020, 8:58 pm

Mike R wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 5:09 pm
Received the much anticipated No 40 today. Smells awesome - super floral with a really classic cab nose of dark fruit and, to a lesser extent, vanilla / oak. Wine is a bit reserved on the palate, with a bit of heat, but really nice overall. Happy with this one.
Mine arrived today and I didn't wait for the UPS man to leave the block before I opened one. I got a little more oak than you but overall very similar. In hour 7 of it being open right now and its definitely getting better and I'm very happy with it as well

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#356 Post by Mike R » November 3rd, 2020, 9:41 pm

Also popped the #36 Sonoma "Altitude" Chard tonight. Really like this one, my second favorite DN so far (No. 16 Sauv Blanc is #1). Don't have any notes since I'm writing this a few hours after drinking it, but way less oak than the #12 Chard, which I didn't really care for.
... 0 p 3 r

DaveStandridge

#357 Post by DaveStandridge » November 4th, 2020, 7:22 am

Last night I finally opened #7 Sta Rita Hills Pinot, the only offer I've received except for #2 Cab. It's exactly what I was looking for, an easy drinking cellar defender that's drinkable right now. It drinks bigger than it looks but has soft mouthfeel and nice finish. I'm happy with it!

DavidR

#358 Post by DavidR » November 4th, 2020, 9:58 am

Posted this in the offers thread but I guess this is the more appropriate place.

Received both the 22 and 40 cases yesterday and setup a blind tasting. Not a whole lot to choose between them. Both pretty awkward and disjointed at the moment. Will revisit them tonight. Still haven't unmasked the bottles!
R e i d

Aleks V

#359 Post by Aleks V » November 4th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Aleks V wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 6:59 pm
OG 40 came off the truck today. It’s the Diamond Mountain cab that’s available mailing list only at the winery. Popped open, ran through an aerator and let sit in a glass for ~1 hour.

First impression was a bit of yeasty/ doughiness on the nose, this blew off pretty quickly and wasn’t noticeable on the palate. Definitely red fruit dominated, some green pepper, some minerality. This was reported at around 50% new oak, but i didn’t notice the oak at all (granted I am not that sensitive to it). More acidic and less tannic than I would have expected, gives the wine a bit less structure and a more medium bodied ness than I’d expect from a typical Napa cab. Finish isn’t overly long.

It’s good right now, but definitely tightly wound and nowhere near its $120/ bottle branded price point. I think this could be more interesting in a couple years but not sure how long this will go the distance - it doesn’t strike me as a super long ager (qualifying that this is my guess).
Day 2:

Getting just a bit of oak on the nose, still not much on the palate. Nose is minimal unless you swirl it pretty aggressively. Black cherry flavor mixed a bit with some black fruits. Tannins slightly more prevalent, but still pretty acidic for a 15% abv Napa cab. Overall opinion unchanged from yesterday and am wondering if not quite out of bottle shock. Either way, next bottle won’t be opened for several months.
Oy-V3y

R Scott Hughes

#360 Post by R Scott Hughes » November 4th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Opened a bottle of #36 Sonoma "Altitude" Chardonnay tonight.. PnP. Overall I am very pleased - oak is very present but not overwhelming. Early on I felt there was something slightly off - bitter/sour - with the finish but that was pretty much gone an hour after first pour. I am very happy with this purchase - high QPR.
Last edited by R Scott Hughes on November 5th, 2020, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
R 0 L A N D

Neil Pith

#361 Post by Neil Pith » November 4th, 2020, 6:14 pm

Opened up #55, The Paso Rose.

Nose-stone fruit, peach, apricot a bit of a perfumed nose
Body- Light body and light mouthfeel
Crisp, refreshing acidity
Taste: honeysuckle, strawberry
Finish: Legs legs legs with a beautiful crescendo

Still felt a bit reserved likely had bottle shock.

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member

#362 Post by DanielP » November 5th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Opened up the rest of N.28 after pobega coravining a glass. Of 21, 25, and 28, this is my favorite. Somewhat red-fruited Napa cab. Really remarkably fresh but still packs good power as well. Great structure as well. This is really quite excellent.
P@ik

Dave R.

#363 Post by Dave R. » November 6th, 2020, 5:54 am

Tough CT note on N.42, which was Cam's "favorite Cabernet release to date (certainly top 3)". Anyone else tried it?
... @ c k v 3 ll

Chris Crutchfield

#364 Post by Chris Crutchfield » November 6th, 2020, 6:15 am

I mean TBH it sounds like somebody who doesn't like big Napa cabs being surprised that they don't like the big Napa cab that they ordered a case of.

David Buck

#365 Post by David Buck » November 6th, 2020, 6:23 am

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 6:15 am
I mean TBH it sounds like somebody who doesn't like big Napa cabs being surprised that they don't like the big Napa cab that they ordered a case of.
Yeah overall the DN reviews have been really good overall. There will bound to be a few offers that are clunkers.

25 got a 94 on CT last night - sweet...

And the hillside collection looks like the homerun so far 27-28-29.

42 arrives Monday...59 I am interested in as that is highest price of all time $300. That is Mt. Veeder and they say that is an area where you have to cellar long long time.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#366 Post by MatthewT » November 6th, 2020, 6:41 am

I'm very pleased by the overall reviews on CT.
I'm a Turk

Corey N.

#367 Post by Corey N. » November 6th, 2020, 8:27 am

Dave R. wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 5:54 am
Tough CT note on N.42, which was Cam's "favorite Cabernet release to date (certainly top 3)". Anyone else tried it?
That was my review. I was debating about whether to post it here and decided against it because the other DN thread is a bit over the top for my liking. Without pointing fingers, there have been a number of snide comments when people don't drink the Kool-Aid, rather than an appreciation that not everyone likes the same wine (and that's ok). I read about "Cam's track record" but I never had any sense that these people actually tried his CH wines.
Chris Crutchfield wrote:
Big Napa Cabs are not my favorite, but I like a well-made Cab on occasion (as a point of reference two recent wines that I had are the 2004 Colgin "IX Estate" and the 2014 William & Mary Cabernet Sauvignon Shifflett Ranch; I enjoyed both, but greatly preferred the latter). The N.42 did not come off as a particularly well made Cab. When I started purchasing Cameron Hughes wines a decade+ ago, I was much more into Cabs, but I quickly grew tired of the house style. A bigger wine can still be balanced and interesting; the N.42 was neither. The vanilla note was, for my palate, artificial and far too prominent. It tasted like American oak (per the offer, the wine was matured French oak -- I am not suggesting that this is incorrect), which tends to come off as sweeter, with more vanilla and dill. French oak typically strikes me as more elegant. I reserved a half bottle for tonight; perhaps my opinion will change.

I purchased several DN wines thinking that if I liked the wines, it would be a nice "score". My Plan B was to serve at family gatherings (where many of the guests like bigger/bolder wines) and gifting for the holidays. I will keep an open mind about my remaining wines, but at least as far as N.42 goes, it looks like I'll be going with Plan B.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

Chris Crutchfield

#368 Post by Chris Crutchfield » November 6th, 2020, 8:44 am

Nothing wrong with your review, and I apologize if it came across like a diss or anything. I'm in the same camp as you in terms of preferences. I've tried to avoid most of the DN offers that gave me vibes like they would be overripe or unbalanced, but I'm sure I'll still get some clunkers. Like you, I'm hoping to pawn them off on others since they will probably be made in a fairly crowd-pleasing style.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#369 Post by MatthewT » November 6th, 2020, 10:35 am

Corey N. wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 8:27 am
Dave R. wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 5:54 am
That was my review. I was debating about whether to post it here and decided against it because the other DN thread is a bit over the top for my liking. Without pointing fingers, there have been a number of snide comments when people don't drink the Kool-Aid, rather than an appreciation that not everyone likes the same wine (and that's ok). I read about "Cam's track record" but I never had any sense that these people actually tried his CH wines.
Chris Crutchfield wrote:
Big Napa Cabs are not my favorite, but I like a well-made Cab on occasion (as a point of reference two recent wines that I had are the 2004 Colgin "IX Estate" and the 2014 William & Mary Cabernet Sauvignon Shifflett Ranch; I enjoyed both, but greatly preferred the latter). The N.42 did not come off as a particularly well made Cab. When I started purchasing Cameron Hughes wines a decade+ ago, I was much more into Cabs, but I quickly grew tired of the house style. A bigger wine can still be balanced and interesting; the N.42 was neither. The vanilla note was, for my palate, artificial and far too prominent. It tasted like American oak (per the offer, the wine was matured French oak -- I am not suggesting that this is incorrect), which tends to come off as sweeter, with more vanilla and dill. French oak typically strikes me as more elegant. I reserved a half bottle for tonight; perhaps my opinion will change.

I purchased several DN wines thinking that if I liked the wines, it would be a nice "score". My Plan B was to serve at family gatherings (where many of the guests like bigger/bolder wines) and gifting for the holidays. I will keep an open mind about my remaining wines, but at least as far as N.42 goes, it looks like I'll be going with Plan B.
The shade is not necessary. Post all your reviews all day long. Nobody is stopping anyone from saying bad things about dN wine!
I'm a Turk

Jim Marmion
GCC Member
GCC Member

#370 Post by Jim Marmion » November 6th, 2020, 11:10 am

No. 7, the Pinot Noir. I had popped my first in August when it was still somewhat discombobulated. Opened a second last night and it had come together quite nicely. It's not overly sophisticated, but it leads in with some controlled acid, moving into a finish of creamy vanilla. A good, light midweek drinker. Pretty much exactly what I had been hoping for.

Corey N.

#371 Post by Corey N. » November 6th, 2020, 11:14 am

MatthewT wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 10:35 am
The shade is not necessary. Post all your reviews all day long. Nobody is stopping anyone from saying bad things about dN wine!
Whether intentionally or not, you act as a gatekeeper of sorts. That you would feel the need to comment only serves to reinforce my perceptions. YMMV.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#372 Post by MatthewT » November 6th, 2020, 11:19 am

Corey N. wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 11:14 am
MatthewT wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 10:35 am
Whether intentionally or not, you act as a gatekeeper of sorts. That you would feel the need to comment only serves to reinforce my perceptions. YMMV.
You were directing at me like a child w/o saying my name. Like a 12 year old.

You can't point to one post of mine in WEEKS let alone months where I criticized someones tasting notes. I have only offered other opinions via CellarTracker reviews. Nothing more.

There have been prob a dozen negative reviews in this thread the last two weeks and I haven't responded to a single post.
I'm a Turk

Won H. L e e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#373 Post by Won H. L e e » November 6th, 2020, 12:01 pm

17 is drinking ok. i think this drinks like 20-30$ wine but not what de Negoce argues for original winery release price. this purchase really made me realize the importance of winemaker, like Kirk Venge.

Toby P

#374 Post by Toby P » November 6th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Won H. L e e wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 12:01 pm
17 is drinking ok. i think this drinks like 20-30$ wine but not what de Negoce argues for original winery release price. this purchase really made me realize the importance of winemaker, like Kirk Venge.
Remember, 17 offer didn't give any release price, partly why it has been considered one of the less attractive ones (on paper; doesn't necessarily mean anything). And when the likely source was uncovered, it was a $30-40 retail wine, so pretty much in line with what you're saying
P r a t t

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#375 Post by Nate Simon » November 6th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Peter Valiquette wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 5:40 pm

Red berries, spice, and a light herbaceous accent on a medium body that trends toward acidity and freshness through the clean finish.
I did the same. Even with a 2 hour decant, it is disjointed and shut down, but it feels like there’s a good wine in there.
Sauv Blanc #16 drinking pretty well. It likely will benefit from a few months to open up. It drinks much better at a cool room temp rather than colder.

L Harris

#376 Post by L Harris » November 6th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Given it was bottled 10/5/20 is it possible it’s still in bottle shock? Asking because I just got a case today and am trying to resist temptation to try one at least until 2–3 months after the bottle date... thanks in advance for your thoughts!
L u k e

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#377 Post by Nate Simon » November 6th, 2020, 3:19 pm

L Harris wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 3:07 pm
Given it was bottled 10/5/20 is it possible it’s still in bottle shock? Asking because I just got a case today and am trying to resist temptation to try one at least until 2–3 months after the bottle date... thanks in advance for your thoughts!
No question. To me, it is exactly what I would have expected/should have expected. Gonna give it another month or two, although I do not expect it to be terribly open by then, but then again I have a whole case to play with. After that, I’m guessing a few months at minimum.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#378 Post by Josh Grossman » November 6th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Opened a 40 tonight. It's a bit of an oak monster--but that's what I wanted. It's not the typical baking spices, vanilla, and/or dill--it's more like smelling a wood shop filled with freshly cut saw dust, cedar, chocolate, and graphite. It's hedonistic. It's something Parker would have given a high score to. It's exactly what you would expect from a high end Napa cab. If being critical, it's a bit light on acid and fruit but ends with velvety tannins and a long finish. There is some baked plum--almost sugar plum dumplings but the fruit isn't the top note. It's elegant. It's what you want to open for non AFWE friends. Out of what I've tried, (2, 4, 15, and 17) this is, by far, the best right now. 2 an 4 might have more stuffing for the long run, but this is a pleasure now. Give it two years for the tannins and oak to better integrate and it will be at peak. Not built for long term cellaring. I'd give it a 91 now with a potential of 93 but think Parker would have given it a 95.

Michael Singsen

#379 Post by Michael Singsen » November 6th, 2020, 10:26 pm

We opened a 42 and let it sit for a few hours, no decanting. It arrived one week ago. The blurb said it was good to drink now, so we gave it a try. Lots of swirling in the glass. It had a pleasant aroma but not much of it. I loved it from the first sip, and more so as it warmed up. Nice round plummy peppery flavors, tannins are apparent but not dominant, mouth watering. It would have been easy to guzzle it all down, but left half in the bottle for tomorrow to see how it evolves. Somebody snottily called it supermarket wine. If so, I must like supermarket wine.

Chris Crutchfield

#380 Post by Chris Crutchfield » November 6th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Popped N.56 (Anderson Valley Pinot Noir) tonight. This one definitely needs some more time before opening another bottle. Still in a very primary stage (it's a 2019 after all). If this is actually Copain then it is lacking some of the elegance and finesse of what I would expect from Copain. Is it worth the "retail" price that was listed in the offer ($60+)? No, not yet at least. But I'd say this is not bad for a CA pinot, maybe around the $30 range.

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#381 Post by Robert M yers » November 6th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Put a bottle of #40 into the decanter At 1pm today and started drinking 6 hours later.
First thought of course is value because of course we are looking for 180/18 right...well this isn’t it, but...After I settled into it a bit some charms do emerge though.

I found lots of the blackest cherry and Some light black fruits. Going in I was worried about oak and lack of acid but for me this wine was neither heavy nor over Oaked. There is some oak but not to say Mondavi or such levels here. Oak seems proper for me and I’m a bit oak sensitive. There is some good fruit here but it just doesn’t all fit together (yet?) and it’s very clumsy. The polish of a Napa $100+ wine is just not here.

I was trying to think of what it might remind me of and 1-2 years ago I had a very decent Clos du Val cab for $35 and it’s seems in similar profile and quality to something like that for me.

This is a perfect example of my concerns early on in in this venture. I’m fine with having a few of these (say Even 4-6) at the ~$20 price point but I’m not sure I need a case.

Interesting that Josh’s notes from tonight seem quite a bit different than what I perceived tonight.

I’ll revisit tomorrow to see what happens.

b. c@stner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#382 Post by b. c@stner » November 7th, 2020, 4:49 am

Peter Valiquette wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 5:40 pm

61 zin last night. Similar notes but a little different slant. Picked up the herbaceous thing in the nose along with a little funk. Red fruit was there but hiding. Finish was tight and tannic for me that only increased over the course of a few hours. Potential here but I think it needs some time to come together. Heck only bottled a month ago
b 0 b

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#383 Post by Mike R » November 7th, 2020, 6:03 am

Robert M yers wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 11:06 pm
Put a bottle of #40 into the decanter At 1pm today and started drinking 6 hours later.
First thought of course is value because of course we are looking for 180/18 right...well this isn’t it, but...After I settled into it a bit some charms do emerge though.

I found lots of the blackest cherry and Some light black fruits. Going in I was worried about oak and lack of acid but for me this wine was neither heavy nor over Oaked. There is some oak but not to say Mondavi or such levels here. Oak seems proper for me and I’m a bit oak sensitive. There is some good fruit here but it just doesn’t all fit together (yet?) and it’s very clumsy. The polish of a Napa $100+ wine is just not here.

I was trying to think of what it might remind me of and 1-2 years ago I had a very decent Clos du Val cab for $35 and it’s seems in similar profile and quality to something like that for me.

This is a perfect example of my concerns early on in in this venture. I’m fine with having a few of these (say Even 4-6) at the ~$20 price point but I’m not sure I need a case.

Interesting that Josh’s notes from tonight seem quite a bit different than what I perceived tonight.

I’ll revisit tomorrow to see what happens.
For what its worth, I would try it without decanting. I found this wine completely dead on day two when I went back to it. With that said, I agree with your impressions overall. This is definitely not a $100+ wine.
... 0 p 3 r

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#384 Post by timmy roos » November 7th, 2020, 6:45 am

We opened the 40 last night and my impressions were more along the lines of Robert. There is oak but I thought although unsettled there was plenty of fruit and blue fruit energy to match. Overall I am pleased and it’s interesting enough that I would be pleased at a much higher price. Can’t speak of ageability as that is not my expertise. Will report back on day 2
Things are getting funny these day

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#385 Post by Robert M yers » November 7th, 2020, 8:08 am

#40 seems about the same 22 hours later, a bit smoothed out but has that feel where it might fall off from here. Again, nice wine but not great imo.

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#386 Post by C. Heinsen » November 7th, 2020, 9:05 am

Has anyone dared to open the Petite Syrah yet?
C h r i s

G. D y e r

#387 Post by G. D y e r » November 7th, 2020, 9:26 am

Opened a third bottle from a case of the n.19 Santa Cruz Pinot Noir. I have to say, I'm very pleased with this purchase, there are no rough edges and this is tasty with no 'unexpected' flavors. My guess is the case will probably not last a year, though there is enough structure and balance that it should comfortably hold for several years or more.

2018 de Négoce Pinot Noir OG N.19 - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/6/2020)
Consistent with prior notes. Tasted after a Melville estate Pinot, this is clearly a notch or two below, but the balance at this price point is brilliant. This does feel a better integrated than earlier, the oak is melding a bit, ripe but not over the top red fruit.

2018 de Négoce Pinot Noir OG N.19 - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (10/3/2020)
Consistent with prior note. High delicious factor, varietal/terroir character is not the primary impression, ripe but not over the top, performs comfortably above its price point.

2018 de Négoce Pinot Noir OG N.19 - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (8/29/2020)
Opted to pop one of these given favorable community feedback, and 2 months since bottling. Synthetic cork. Decanted and consumed over an hour.

Red fruited, spicy clove aromas on the nose. Balanced, silky and easy drinking, oak impression is a bit heavier than I prefer in Pinot, but also should integrate better in the next 6-12 months. Showing a dusting of tannic structure on the finish.

The winemaking impression is stronger than ideal for Pinot, perhaps towards Grenache-style on the ripeness/density spectrum, but it's well made and not spoofy. Definite upside to improve--scored based on current state, 89-90 potential. Not a > $50 Pinot for my taste, but a good play at ~$15. (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

Eric White

#388 Post by Eric White » November 7th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Startin' early and celebrating today! Starting with another bottle of No. 55 Rose, thought to be Tablas Creek. Better than the 1st bottle (also, a bit less cold, which may be why). Just delightful, strawberries, peach, minerals, bone dry, refreshing, bright acidity.

ChrisR

#389 Post by ChrisR » November 7th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 10:34 pm
Popped N.56 (Anderson Valley Pinot Noir) tonight. This one definitely needs some more time before opening another bottle. Still in a very primary stage (it's a 2019 after all). If this is actually Copain then it is lacking some of the elegance and finesse of what I would expect from Copain. Is it worth the "retail" price that was listed in the offer ($60+)? No, not yet at least. But I'd say this is not bad for a CA pinot, maybe around the $30 range.
This is helpful. I had debated on opening one up but will give it some time
R y a n

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#390 Post by timmy roos » November 7th, 2020, 6:01 pm

28 is the first “wow this is really good” I’ve had
Things are getting funny these day

G. D y e r

#391 Post by G. D y e r » November 7th, 2020, 9:03 pm

I've been selective on de Negoce buys--only 3 so far, with 2 received. The N.25 Spring Mountain Cab is legit to my taste. Not uber-ripe, super tannic, or deeply extracted. High quality juice, Cam's description was spot-on, in my opinion.

2018 de Négoce Cabernet Sauvignon OG N.25 - USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District (11/7/2020)
Decanted 1 hour. Backward, possibly still bottle shocked, tightly wound. But the class is evident. Classic aromas of black currant, capsicum, and tar/petrol. Medium acidity, black fruited attack, integral arc across the mid-palate, long finish of cassis and cedar. Ripe, fine tannins are prominent, gives a mid-weight, classic impression, lean without being thin. Oak needs to integrate further, though not out of balance. Will benefit from several years age, should develop much longer. Scored based on current impression, definite room for improvement.

Easily drinks like a $40-$60 bottle, which with Napa mountain pedigree adds another $20 to $40 premium. Looks like a big de Negoce win on this one! (92 pts.)

Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

Brian_K

#392 Post by Brian_K » November 8th, 2020, 11:47 am

Tried the N.17 the other night. Decanted for about 4 hours, found it to be tightly wound and otherwise plain. Didn’t get much fruit, etc.

Here’s my question - is this simply what the wine is? Or with time, more/less decanting, or perhaps drinking at a warmer temp (served at 55), could it improve?

Edit: The N.17 is a Napa Cab, perhaps the most widely available of the offers out there. https://www.denegoce.com/products/og-n- ... d5cc&_ss=r
K @ y

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#393 Post by MatthewT » November 8th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Brian_K wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 11:47 am
Tried the N.17 the other night. Decanted for about 4 hours, found it to be tightly wound and otherwise plain. Didn’t get much fruit, etc.

Here’s my question - is this simply what the wine is? Or with time, more/less decanting, or perhaps drinking at a warmer temp (served at 55), could it improve?

Edit: The N.17 is a Napa Cab, perhaps the most widely available of the offers out there. https://www.denegoce.com/products/og-n- ... d5cc&_ss=r
Yes and it's the cheapest cab both from dN price and what we think retail is ($30) of all the cabs that have been offered.
I'm a Turk

Chris Crutchfield

#394 Post by Chris Crutchfield » November 8th, 2020, 8:19 pm

Popped N.40 Diamond Mountain Cabernet and drank it over 2 nights. First impressions were great, this is a very nicely made wine with medium+ acidity and medium tannin, very approachable at this point in time. I did not find it to be over-oaked as somebody else mentioned, but due to its youth I think the oak comes across as a little bit unintegrated and disjointed. Has a rather sweet fruit profile which I find typical of most Napa cabernets.

On night 2, I felt like it was fading a bit but still quite enjoyable. IMO, I think this is not a wine that you're going to want to hold on to for 10 years. I think it will be best if you drink it within the next 5. Regarding price, I think that this tastes like a very well-made $50ish Napa cabernet, and I am looking forward to enjoying the rest of the case over the next few years.

Richard Jen

#395 Post by Richard Jen » November 8th, 2020, 8:33 pm

N.15 Merlot. Licorice and red cherry, immediately followed by savory red fruit, with acidity emerging, leading to a long earthy finish. Medium dusty tannin. Very happy.
[cheers.gif]

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#396 Post by John O' » November 9th, 2020, 3:15 am

Had the SB-16 and Cab-17 last night. Very pleased with both
O Sullivan

Benjg

#397 Post by Benjg » November 9th, 2020, 3:45 am

We have opened a couple of the 55 rosés so far and I’ve got some thoughts...
Believed to be from Tablas Creek possibly the Patelin de Tablas rosé based on the retail price matching Cam’s description. I’m a Tablas Creek member and drank a number of Patelin de Tablas rosés this summer and I can tell you that #55 is not the same wine. On the Tablas Creek website they describe using 3 different grapes in the final blend. My guess is that #55 is excess juice of one of 3 varietals or a blend in much different percentages. DN 55 has the classic notes of rosé, but the flavors are much lighter and more subtle compared to the Tablas Creek version. Call it Tablas Creek “light” to steal a beer term.

At $8-9 a bottle I think the DN rosé is a nice wine at that price point, but at $20 a bottle I think the Tablas Creek is a much better value and a much more enjoyable wine. I would purchase the Tablas Creek over the DN given a choice in the future.
B e n G @ t h

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#398 Post by Troy Stark » November 9th, 2020, 5:17 am

• 2018 de Négoce Cabernet Sauvignon OG N.21 - USA, California, Napa Valley, Atlas Peak (11/9/2020)
    This was held for about 2 weeks after delivery in a 50F Eurocave. Decanted for 4+ hours and consumed with a ribeye dinner.

Upon opening, the wine was very tight and reductive. The nose gave up almost nothing until it had been in the decanter for about 2 hours, at which point it started slowly revealing itself. At 4 hours the nose was starting to show as very typical Napa cabernet; dark fruit, some dark flowers (violets/roses), and vanilla. Maybe a touch of cocoa hidden underneath. The wine did not come across as overly ripe, but did have a sense of sweetness, which carried over to the palate.

Speaking of which, this wine is very mouth-coating and has a lot of body/texture. Wife's comment was "Whoa, that's a lot of wine." There is just a light touch of heat on the palate, but nothing off-putting. Tannins are surprisingly refined; classic cocoa powder. Yes, they have some grip, but nothing a ribeye can't handle. Acid is medium to medium-low; not enough to make you think "oh, this has great acid," but you also don't think "this is flabby." Balanced, I guess. Would we call Atlas Peak as opposed to the bench? Not sure. You can tell the oak treatment is very high-quality. A lot of love went into this wine. The finish is pleasant and long.

Overall, we're happy with this purchase, but this is VERY new world and it needs at least another year to knit together. The wine will likely continue evolving for 10-20 years. We were hoping for something that could act as a bit of a cellar defender, but this needs more time. Hold.

N.B.; our palates are decidedly old world. We rarely drink Napa cab these days, instead usually opting for Bordeaux.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#399 Post by MatthewT » November 9th, 2020, 5:21 am

#42 (one I bought) and was pretty hyped has 2 very blah reviews thus far:

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp? ... 9f354d6d6d

Luckily #40, one I bought 2 cases of, seems universally excellent (4 for 4).

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp? ... 9f354d6d6d
I'm a Turk

Jim Marmion
GCC Member
GCC Member

#400 Post by Jim Marmion » November 9th, 2020, 6:07 am

I popped my first bottle of #17 on Friday but found it so tannic that I couldn't take any pleasure from it until Sunday night. Other reviews here an on CT suggest my experience was unusual. Has anybody else experienced this at a similar level?

Return to “Wine Talk”