What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Toby P

Re: What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

#301 Post by Toby P » October 30th, 2020, 7:38 am

Incredible how strongly the #16 SB has been reviewed, looking forward to trying my first soon. Seems like the bigger / more expensive cabs are going to be difficult to get a good handle on in the near term, which makes sense. I'm not equipped to determine when a wine will age well / how much time it needs etc so going to be relying on folks' thoughts posted here.

For the people tasting these cabs, curious to know if you have experience tasting similar pedigree* cabs at such a young age + so recently post bottling (*assuming for the sake of this discussion that we are correct about the sources and the DN bottling is close to the same wine).
P r a t t

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#302 Post by Rodrigo B » October 30th, 2020, 7:52 am

Dave R. wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 7:26 am
Rodrigo B wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 9:00 pm
john mccarty wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 8:42 pm
I took 3 cases of n.16, 2 for myself (tasted 1 bottle this summer, ordered 2 more cases, and grudgingly surrendered 12 bottles to my buying group). I won't go into details except to say that I haven't had a better sauv blanc (ne California ne New Zealand ne Bordeaux) in my long life (though perhaps some equals...). A sauv blanc this good is rare, a sauv blanc with aging potential rarer still... and at this price point, unheard of. But what do I know?
That’s incredibly high praise. Quite a few age worthy Sauvignon blancs coming out of CA, the Loire, BDX and NZ (albeit much more expensive than #16). As I said, really excited to try this one.
Tried the N.16. I agree with John. It's fantastic. Wish I could buy a lot more. I generally think of sauvignon blancs as crisp, acidic, refreshing but ultimately pretty simple/one-dimensional. N.16 is crisp and refreshing, but also complex, balanced and interesting with a substantive finish. Certainly doesn't need to be, shouldn't be, consumed ice-cold (as some S.B.'s do). Punchline: best sauvignon blanc I've had in ages, including numerous mid-priced Sancerre and Pouilly Fume. IF this is any indication of how the other dN wines perform, it's all a massive windfall for us customers -- though, I must admit, some of the early commentary on the reds still has me wondering. I have a variety of other dN's arriving soon, will try to be patient about opening them.
Thanks for the additional vote of confidence. I’m really curious to see how this compares to some of my favourite SB from producers like the Cotats, Boulay, Shared Notes, and Domaine de Chevalier.
B r a g a

David Buck

#303 Post by David Buck » October 30th, 2020, 7:55 am

Toby P wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 7:38 am
Incredible how strongly the #16 SB has been reviewed, looking forward to trying my first soon. Seems like the bigger / more expensive cabs are going to be difficult to get a good handle on in the near term, which makes sense. I'm not equipped to determine when a wine will age well / how much time it needs etc so going to be relying on folks' thoughts posted here.

For the people tasting these cabs, curious to know if you have experience tasting similar pedigree* cabs at such a young age + so recently post bottling (*assuming for the sake of this discussion that we are correct about the sources and the DN bottling is close to the same wine).
On that subject thought it was interesting when Zeitgeist sent out there email in September for their two 2017 cabs...their data sheet says bottle aged 9 months for one and 12 months for the other. 150 bucks retail.

Eric White

#304 Post by Eric White » October 30th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Just popped No. 31, Dry Creek Zinfandel - I haven't had a Pedroncelli in years, so I cannot speak to how accurate our guess is, but this is exactly what I was looking for/expecting. Dark in color and very clear, with aromas of spice, pepper, bramble. Bright, spicy, and "dusty" (not sure how else to describe this, but it's meant as a positive) on the palate, rich, no heat, just a classic Zin. It actually reminds me of some of the Cline/Jacuzzi Zins I've had in the past. Pretty happy with this one.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#305 Post by MatthewT » October 30th, 2020, 7:13 pm

#7 Sta Rita Pinot continues to drink amazing (sipping it right now). I still haven't gotten the 40+ other cases I've ordered but could not be more pleased with this one, #2, #3, and #11. These are the only 4 I have tried.
I'm a Turk

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#306 Post by Michael Martin » October 30th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Last Bottle is now doing Mystery Wine multi packs.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#307 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » October 30th, 2020, 8:14 pm

Popped and poured N.23 Chard tonight. Its early and needs time to settle. That said, I think the fruit will develop nicely. Pears, Banana, tropical notes, mineral notes, pie crust. The thing that catches me the most, definitely hot on the back end. It will need to balance out quite a bit to bring it in check. 14.4, and you can feel it all.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#308 Post by JonathanG » October 30th, 2020, 8:46 pm

I have a sh!tton of wine arriving at my offsite. They are none too pleased. But next week i can start sampling my dN purchases!
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#309 Post by Rich Brown » October 30th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Eric White wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 5:32 pm
Just popped No. 31, Dry Creek Zinfandel - I haven't had a Pedroncelli in years, so I cannot speak to how accurate our guess is, but this is exactly what I was looking for/expecting. Dark in color and very clear, with aromas of spice, pepper, bramble. Bright, spicy, and "dusty" (not sure how else to describe this, but it's meant as a positive) on the palate, rich, no heat, just a classic Zin. It actually reminds me of some of the Cline/Jacuzzi Zins I've had in the past. Pretty happy with this one.
Excellent note! I totally feel you with the 'dusty' comment. One of my favorite aspects of old vine zin from some of my favorite producers - Bedrock in particular.

K Kl@dder

#310 Post by K Kl@dder » October 31st, 2020, 8:36 am

Opened an OG18 Malbec on Tuesday night, been following it through last night. This is a mouthful of tannins and acid at this point. Nothing else. Needs some time in bottle to hopefully evolve. Given that the consensus was it’s Stags Leap, they are only selling 2016s on their site right now, gonna bury these for at least a year to see what starts to happen
K e i t h

Eric White

#311 Post by Eric White » October 31st, 2020, 5:49 pm

just cracked a No. 55 Paso Robles Rose. Very pale pink, the nose immediately evokes aromas of strawberries, along with white flowers and a little spice (it's a bit too cold at the moment, I expect the nose will pick up a little more as it warms up a bit. Bone dry, fresh, and bright on the palate, great acidity, excellent balance. A very nice Rose, I'm again quite pleased.

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#312 Post by Bryan Cottriel » October 31st, 2020, 9:35 pm

2F1A0005-58DA-4EDA-AFAD-C00DA693E5F0.jpeg
I went through these with some friends. Pretty much all of the whites showed well. The sauv blanc was an overwhelming favorite of the group. The only white that didn’t show well was the Viognier. It was the least favorite and had a ton of sulfur on the nose.

The Pinot showed the best for the reds....01 & 02 are so you and quite shut down even after 8 hours in a decanter. The 2 zins were fresh off the truck and not bad.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#313 Post by Max S. » October 31st, 2020, 9:41 pm

Popped a 21 tonight. Had a half glass with lady and friend, then recorked to try tomorrow. First impression was juice and heat. Will reevaluate.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

R Scott Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#314 Post by R Scott Hughes » November 1st, 2020, 3:37 am

Max S. wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 9:41 pm
Popped a 21 tonight. Had a half glass with lady and friend, then recorked to try tomorrow. First impression was juice and heat. Will reevaluate.
Thanks for the note. Can you remind me again what 21 is? I haven't yet committed the #/varietals to memory yet. [cheers.gif]
R 0 L A N D

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#315 Post by MatthewT » November 1st, 2020, 6:14 am

R Scott Hughes wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 3:37 am
Max S. wrote:
Thanks for the note. Can you remind me again what 21 is? I haven't yet committed the #/varietals to memory yet. [cheers.gif]
First post of the thread has a link to a spreadsheet with every description. #21 was atlas peak i think
I'm a Turk

Richard Jen

#316 Post by Richard Jen » November 1st, 2020, 7:48 am

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 9:35 pm
The only white that didn’t show well was the Viognier. It was the least favorite and had a ton of sulfur on the nose.
N.37 was the first and only one not meeting expectation so far. Got white flower, tangerine peel, and white pomelo on both nose and palate. Will give another month before revisit.
[cheers.gif]

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#317 Post by Mark Morrissette » November 1st, 2020, 9:33 am

Did a family tasting with the #16 Sauvignon Blanc last night against the Becheur Sauvignon Blanc. Interesting experiment, and they are certainly different, but both are very good.

The group ended up feeling the best comparison was to apples. The dN #16 was a Granny Smith, tart at first, with ongoing complexity. The Becheur was more of a Macintosh; not nearly as tart, smooth, and easy drinking, but maybe less complexity than the dN. Everyone liked both, with each person having a mild favorite they drank for the rest of the evening.

Very happy with both. The Becheur is still available if you have not tried it yet.

Tyler F.

#318 Post by Tyler F. » November 1st, 2020, 9:46 am

Richard Jen wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 7:48 am
Bryan Cottriel wrote:
The only white that didn’t show well was the Viognier. It was the least favorite and had a ton of sulfur on the nose.
N.37 was the first and only one not meeting expectation so far. Got white flower, tangerine peel, and white pomelo on both nose and palate. Will give another month before revisit.
Bummer, was super excited for this Viognier (assuming it was Pride). Wonder if it just needs a bit more time to come together...
Tyler Fabian

R Scott Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#319 Post by R Scott Hughes » November 1st, 2020, 12:22 pm

MatthewT wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 6:14 am
First post of the thread has a link to a spreadsheet with every description. #21 was atlas peak i think
Thank you, I had forgotten that it was there. I would also like to second (or third) an idea proposed earlier that might be helpful and could prevent having to run back to the spreadsheet so often - in the words of those much wiser than I:
MatthewT wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 4:14 pm
Nate Simon wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 4:08 pm
Point of order...
When somebody posts “I drank a #[x],” can we also post the variety (and preferably appellation)?
I personally can’t remember what each of the dozens of numbered wines is.
That's a good idea actually. I second. Say the # and if possible post as little or much about the # as you feel obliged so people know wtf it is. Can be price, appellation, even a short description. I edited top post suggesting.
R 0 L A N D

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#320 Post by MatthewT » November 1st, 2020, 12:36 pm

R Scott Hughes wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 12:22 pm
MatthewT wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 6:14 am
Thank you, I had forgotten that it was there. I would also like to second (or third) an idea proposed earlier that might be helpful and could prevent having to run back to the spreadsheet so often - in the words of those much wiser than I:
MatthewT wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 4:14 pm
Nate Simon wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 4:08 pm
Point of order...
When somebody posts “I drank a #[x],” can we also post the variety (and preferably appellation)?
I personally can’t remember what each of the dozens of numbered wines is.
That's a good idea actually. I second. Say the # and if possible post as little or much about the # as you feel obliged so people know wtf it is. Can be price, appellation, even a short description. I edited top post suggesting.
I changed the order of my 1st post and bolded it so hopefully people start doing this.
I'm a Turk

David Buck

#321 Post by David Buck » November 1st, 2020, 1:36 pm

R Scott Hughes wrote:
Max S. wrote:
Couple great CT reviews on 21 last few days...Encouraging [welldone.gif]

10/30/2020 - QUARKED WROTE:91 Points
Beautiful aromas on opening, medium body, cassis. Unlike previous reviews, this bottle was high-acid, low tannins, and very much open for business. Quite elegant, actually. It smelled and tasted of $40++ cabernet, and may get better with age, so I'm happy with the purchase. (Note: drinking even better on 2nd night.)

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

Options
10/26/2020 - TIMOTHYNBOND LIKES THIS WINE:90 Points
Double decanted about 4 hours after it arrived from the truck, and then drank over the next 6 hours. Deep purple color. This was a bit of a wild ride. Initially offered sweet cherry and raspberry aromas to pair with a medium-plus body, strong grippy tannins, medium-low acidity, bold sweet fruit flavors (esp. blueberry) and a hint of cola. With time it the glass the fruit became less intense and darker, interspersed with a good deal of clay and some mid-palate char, and the texture became a bit (unpleasantly) syrupy. Around the four hour mark the unpleasant aspects had mostly dissipated with the sweet blue fruit again becoming prominent. Rating ranged from 86-92 depending on when I was taking a sip, but 90 seems to be where it settled.

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#322 Post by Mike R » November 1st, 2020, 1:48 pm

David Buck wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 1:36 pm
R Scott Hughes wrote:
Max S. wrote:

Beautiful aromas on opening, medium body, cassis. Unlike previous reviews, this bottle was high-acid, low tannins, and very much open for business. Quite elegant, actually. It smelled and tasted of $40++ cabernet, and may get better with age, so I'm happy with the purchase. (Note: drinking even better on 2nd night.)

Options
Double decanted about 4 hours after it arrived from the truck, and then drank over the next 6 hours. Deep purple color. This was a bit of a wild ride. Initially offered sweet cherry and raspberry aromas to pair with a medium-plus body, strong grippy tannins, medium-low acidity, bold sweet fruit flavors (esp. blueberry) and a hint of cola. With time it the glass the fruit became less intense and darker, interspersed with a good deal of clay and some mid-palate char, and the texture became a bit (unpleasantly) syrupy. Around the four hour mark the unpleasant aspects had mostly dissipated with the sweet blue fruit again becoming prominent. Rating ranged from 86-92 depending on when I was taking a sip, but 90 seems to be where it settled.
These guys definitely weren’t drinking the same wine I was. Maybe this has lots of bottle variation, but no way those notes would come from the bottle I drank.
... 0 p 3 r

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#323 Post by Mark Morrissette » November 1st, 2020, 2:25 pm

Sipping on #33 Alexander Valley Cab right now (guess is Jordan). Really enjoying it. Cam's description seems quite apt to me. Light color (lighter than a normal Cali Cab), lilac on the noise, and lots of tart cherry. Relatively low in alcohol (13.5% in the description, 14.0% on the label), this is easy to drink, and is great for sipping without food. I would not be unhappy if I paid $30++ for this; if I did, I would probably cellar for several years, but these I will be quite pleased drinking now.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#324 Post by Nate Simon » November 1st, 2020, 2:39 pm

Mark Morrissette wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 9:33 am
Did a family tasting with the #16 Sauvignon Blanc last night against the Becheur Sauvignon Blanc. Interesting experiment, and they are certainly different, but both are very good.

The group ended up feeling the best comparison was to apples. The dN #16 was a Granny Smith, tart at first, with ongoing complexity. The Becheur was more of a Macintosh; not nearly as tart, smooth, and easy drinking, but maybe less complexity than the dN. Everyone liked both, with each person having a mild favorite they drank for the rest of the evening.

Very happy with both. The Becheur is still available if you have not tried it yet.
Agree that the Becheur is very good, and great QPR. Looking forward to the DN.

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#325 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » November 1st, 2020, 4:55 pm

Last night I had #1 with some BBQ'd Costco ribeyes and it was quite pleasing. Young, but not painfully so, it was a good example of Napa style fruit and oak cab. Oak is very present but with no char or splinters between the teeth! It adds more of a vanilla creamy texture to the fruit. My guess is this is more of a mid-term wine to be enjoyed between 5 and 10 years of age.
Tonight we had #55 (Patelin de Tablas) Rosé with takeout BBQ. This is another winner. It's pretty much what Cam's blurb promises - lean crisp Rosé with good mineral and fruit.
Cheers,
Paul

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#326 Post by Max S. » November 1st, 2020, 4:57 pm

Mike R wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 1:48 pm
David Buck wrote:
R Scott Hughes wrote:

Options
These guys definitely weren’t drinking the same wine I was. Maybe this has lots of bottle variation, but no way those notes would come from the bottle I drank.
Day 2 was exponentially better. Seriously, I'd pay $40 for this wine.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#327 Post by Mike R » November 1st, 2020, 6:21 pm

Max S. wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 4:57 pm
Mike R wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 1:48 pm
David Buck wrote:

Options
Day 2 was exponentially better. Seriously, I'd pay $40 for this wine.
I have 11 bottles I'll sell you for $40 a piece champagne.gif
... 0 p 3 r

Eric White

#328 Post by Eric White » November 1st, 2020, 6:41 pm

Another bottle of No.31, Dry Creek Zin - this shit is NOT going to last around here.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#329 Post by Max S. » November 1st, 2020, 6:48 pm

Mike R wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 6:21 pm
Ha, I'm off the hidden label train. I also never got any of those blue fruits from those CT reviews...
5 w 0 m l 3 y

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#330 Post by timmy roos » November 1st, 2020, 7:26 pm

Eric White wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 6:41 pm
Another bottle of No.31, Dry Creek Zin - this shit is NOT going to last around here.
I’m with you on the 31
Things are getting funny these day

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#331 Post by Mike R » November 1st, 2020, 7:30 pm

Max S. wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 6:48 pm
Mike R wrote:
Ha, I'm off the hidden label train. I also never got any of those blue fruits from those CT reviews...
You’re sure you’re drinking 21 right? I don’t recall any of the 21 reviewers mentioning blue fruit.
... 0 p 3 r

SZZimmermann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#332 Post by SZZimmermann » November 1st, 2020, 7:32 pm

Have people received 8 and/or 28? I think I should have received by now.
Scott Zimmermann

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#333 Post by Max S. » November 1st, 2020, 8:02 pm

Mike R wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 7:30 pm
Max S. wrote:
Mike R wrote:
You’re sure you’re drinking 21 right? I don’t recall any of the 21 reviewers mentioning blue fruit.
The second review David Buck included from CT called out sweet fruit, specifically blueberry. I didn't get anything even close to blueberry.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#334 Post by Mike R » November 1st, 2020, 8:09 pm

Max S. wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 8:02 pm
Mike R wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 7:30 pm
Max S. wrote:

The second review David Buck included from CT called out sweet fruit, specifically blueberry. I didn't get anything even close to blueberry.
Ahh yep I see that now. I agree there is no blue fruit on this at all.
... 0 p 3 r

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#335 Post by Troy Stark » November 2nd, 2020, 5:45 am

Tasting wine is incredibly subjective and a very individual experience. Also, most people have terrible palates and just parrot in their TNs what they think they're supposed to taste.
Last edited by Troy Stark on November 2nd, 2020, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

YLee

#336 Post by YLee » November 2nd, 2020, 6:49 am

Troy Stark wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 5:45 am
Also, most people have terrible palates and just parrot in their TNs what they think they're supposed to taste.
So true. I can name few people that just copies what they read on CT in their TN here.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Toby P

#337 Post by Toby P » November 2nd, 2020, 7:04 am

Troy Stark wrote:
Tasting wine is incredibly subjective and a very individual experience. Also, most people have terrible palates and just parrot in their TNs what they think they're supposed to taste.
Spot on and def worth keeping in mind here. Even the professional tasters / critics often have very different experiences (and scores) with the same wines...
P r a t t

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#338 Post by HoosJustinG » November 2nd, 2020, 7:50 am

Troy Stark wrote:
Tasting wine is incredibly subject and a very individual experience. Also, most people have terrible palates and just parrot in their TNs what they think they're supposed to taste.
I think some people for sure try and call out more flavors and aromas than they’re actually getting to match the length/complexity of other tasting notes, but I tend to believe it’s at least grounded in fact. IOW: If somebody calls out coffee/espresso and chocolate, they might get a hint of something cocoa-y and have just read enough tasting notes to know that those two often show up in the same notes ... but I also get what I need to out of reading it.

Can most people tell the difference between a “coffee” aroma and “espresso” aroma, though? No. Frankly, as somebody who drinks a lot of coffee (and mildly nerds out with it), I’d be pleased if I could correctly call the difference at a statistically significant rate ... I’d like to think I could, but I’m really not sure. For me, in terms of aroma, espresso is more “bitter chocolate-y” and coffee has more of a round/roasted flavor, but those are personal markers, and of course the actual coffee beans have a lot to do with it.

In any case, I just want to agree that tasting notes are fairly subjective. I think organizations like CMS - not to drag that thread into it - basically train people to call certain aromas what THEY say it is as opposed to how it may present to the actual taster. I don’t think they’re way off base or anything, but I also think trying to differentiate between the aroma of “wet gravel” and “slate” or “guava” and “lychee” is largely a matter of personal markers and not necessarily an objective reality.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#339 Post by Troy Stark » November 2nd, 2020, 8:04 am

I don't think even a small fraction of the folks who post wine tasting notes (either here or on CT) have ever gone through any formal training, be it CMS, WSET, or any other organization. That said, everything people say about grape variety X is of course influenced by everything that people have said about it in the past.

My point is simply I don't honestly believe most people can ACTUALLY identify all the things they say in their tasting notes. I am happy if I can call out 2-3 unique and accurate aromas in a wine. More often than not I get a "sense" of the fruit profile (red vs blue, cooked vs fresh) but can't actually identify "blueberry" versus "blackberry." I just don't find enough unique characteristics to identify 8+ separate call-outs on the nose/palate of any given wine. More often than not, there's 1 very primary characteristic I can easily find and then 2-3 others that dance around and fade/in out as I continue to evaluate.

Based on blind tastings I've done over the years, I don't think I'm a particularly bad or good taster. Probably "average," but if you read my tasting notes versus other people's it seems like I have the palate of a yak.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#340 Post by Abbie S. » November 2nd, 2020, 8:07 am

Opened #2 yesterday for the hell of it. I was going to store the case for a couple of years before trying a bottle, but I wanted to see what we were working with after reading the reviews on CT. Personally, I did not enjoy, even after 6 hours in the decanter. Overly tannic & chewy. We will see what day 2 brings...
salovon

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#341 Post by Max S. » November 2nd, 2020, 8:37 am

Troy Stark wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 8:04 am
I don't think even a small fraction of the folks who post wine tasting notes (either here or on CT) have ever gone through any formal training, be it CMS, WSET, or any other organization. That said, everything people say about grape variety X is of course influenced by everything that people have said about it in the past.

My point is simply I don't honestly believe most people can ACTUALLY identify all the things they say in their tasting notes. I am happy if I can call out 2-3 unique and accurate aromas in a wine. More often than not I get a "sense" of the fruit profile (red vs blue, cooked vs fresh) but can't actually identify "blueberry" versus "blackberry." I just don't find enough unique characteristics to identify 8+ separate call-outs on the nose/palate of any given wine. More often than not, there's 1 very primary characteristic I can easily find and then 2-3 others that dance around and fade/in out as I continue to evaluate.

Based on blind tastings I've done over the years, I don't think I'm a particularly bad or good taster. Probably "average," but if you read my tasting notes versus other people's it seems like I have the palate of a yak.
I'm mostly with you on this. I also think a part of it is recall. I have a friend who is really into beer but has no problem calling out flavors in wine that I taste, but can't identify until he says something. But it's usually 3-4 things like you said.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

CliffM
GCC Member
GCC Member

#342 Post by CliffM » November 2nd, 2020, 8:54 am

Which numbers, if back up for grabs on the website today, would you people be most motivated to buy again and or more of? Have there been any consensus homeruns? Or wines who’s identity and prestige was such a lock that they warrant another buy?
Last edited by CliffM on November 2nd, 2020, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
M a t h i e s o n

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#343 Post by Bryan Cottriel » November 2nd, 2020, 9:29 am

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
2F1A0005-58DA-4EDA-AFAD-C00DA693E5F0.jpeg

I went through these with some friends. Pretty much all of the whites showed well. The sauv blanc was an overwhelming favorite of the group. The only white that didn’t show well was the Viognier. It was the least favorite and had a ton of sulfur on the nose.

The Pinot showed the best for the reds....01 & 02 are so you and quite shut down even after 8 hours in a decanter. The 2 zins were fresh off the truck and not bad.
I finished #1 after a 10 hour decant on day 1 and being opened for the last 2 days. It’s actually pretty good. Not $100 good, but still enjoyable and a good look at the future.

Nick Ellis

#344 Post by Nick Ellis » November 2nd, 2020, 3:15 pm

Just opened N.55 (Santa Barbara Rose, possibly Tablas Creek). Good bouquet, but kind of thin on the palate. I got this today and I do believe in bottle shock, so I will withhold final judgement for a couple of more weeks. That said, a François Chidaine Touraine Rose straight off the FedEx truck on Saturday was obscenely lubricious and only $5 more.

Brent Butler

#345 Post by Brent Butler » November 2nd, 2020, 5:12 pm

CliffM wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 8:54 am
Which numbers, if back up for grabs on the website today, would you people be most motivated to buy again and or more of? Have there been any consensus homeruns? Or wines who’s identity and prestige was such a lock that they warrant another buy?
#17 is still up and I really like it. I think I drank that 4 nights in a row and it is great now. Others that are no-brainers are #1 at that $10 price point, #6 which I’ve had two of and feel like It is too good to drink more of yet, the Carneros Pinot maybe even though I don’t drink Pinot much, and #31 dry creek zin which I have in my hand now and is perfect for me even though I drink almost all cabs. #2 and #7 too. I have too much now to follow through on more orders but those ones off the top of my head. Really though, grab one of those #17s if you haven’t yet.

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#346 Post by jordan jacobs » November 2nd, 2020, 6:52 pm

Max S. wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 8:37 am
Troy Stark wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 8:04 am

I'm mostly with you on this. I also think a part of it is recall. I have a friend who is really into beer but has no problem calling out flavors in wine that I taste, but can't identify until he says something. But it's usually 3-4 things like you said.
I think I am the original yak palate... going back to ebob early turn of the century. I think it was the first Chicago Pinot smackdown. I am happy to pass it you.

Greg Koll

#347 Post by Greg Koll » November 3rd, 2020, 4:39 pm

Had the #5 Coombsville last night. 3 hour decant, tannins were present but in a very attractive way. Enjoyed it. Not sure if it’s a long term hold but it will certainly be good here and in the midterm.

Michael Feldman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#348 Post by Michael Feldman » November 3rd, 2020, 4:48 pm

Received OG 27 last week. Had in a wine cooler for the last week. Decided to pop one tonight with a truly eclectic dinner (cocktail franks, Costco egg rolls and dumplings).
Wine was DELICIOUS! Bright fruit and tannins that were well balanced with the rest of the wine.
Better than an $85 Napa Cab (board favorite from 2014) that I had the other night.
Best De Negoce Cab out of four that I have tasted so far ( 1,2,17 being the others). Will rest the others for 6 months and try another then.

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#349 Post by Mike R » November 3rd, 2020, 5:09 pm

Received the much anticipated No 40 today. Smells awesome - super floral with a really classic cab nose of dark fruit and, to a lesser extent, vanilla / oak. Wine is a bit reserved on the palate, with a bit of heat, but really nice overall. Happy with this one.
... 0 p 3 r

David Buck

#350 Post by David Buck » November 3rd, 2020, 5:12 pm

Michael Feldman wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 4:48 pm
Received OG 27 last week. Had in a wine cooler for the last week. Decided to pop one tonight with a truly eclectic dinner (cocktail franks, Costco egg rolls and dumplings).
Wine was DELICIOUS! Bright fruit and tannins that were well balanced with the rest of the wine.
Better than an $85 Napa Cab (board favorite from 2014) that I had the other night.
Best De Negoce Cab out of four that I have tasted so far ( 1,2,17 being the others). Will rest the others for 6 months and try another then.
This is great news...that was the 3 pack from the hillside producer 27-28-29. I got number 29 coming. Hope the Coombsville is just as good [cheers.gif]

Return to “Wine Talk”