What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
juless

Re: What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

#151 Post by juless » October 11th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 8:27 pm
Max S. wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 8:17 pm
juless wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 7:24 pm
newhere
I decanted a bottle of #21 this afternoon. The oak really stood out, as did berry and cherry. I like the tannic character - not too much.

Most of the high price (over $100) wine we purchase is at restaurants. I don’t cellar wine, except vintage port and a few champagnes, so I’m hoping this adventure will upgrade out typical at home dinner wines. (I usually spend about $20.). So far, I’ve only only received #1 and #21. Both wines were so much tastier than our usual. I’m looking forward to getting more of the 14 that I’ve ordered, which includes Chardonnay, rose, merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot noir and Viognier.
As long as it wasn't just the oak standing out, I should be happy. Is it better than the $100 bottles you get at restaurants (probably retails around $50), the $20 bottle at home, or both?
If you are getting a $50 bottle of wine at a restaurant for $100, keep going there. Most others offer $30 bottles at $100.
#21 was much better than what I normally drink at home and better than most Cabernets I have at restaurants. At restaurants, most Cabernets we order are closer to $200, but we often order other varietals close to $100.
S a b a l

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#152 Post by Brent S » October 11th, 2020, 10:02 pm

Drank the #12 Chardonnay the other day. Wife and I both liked it. This is not an oak bomb. It was quite well balanced. Fir the $ what a great wine.
Br@nt $prenkle

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#153 Post by JonathanG » October 12th, 2020, 10:49 am

Been MIA for awhile, will read through this thread this evening. But a friend of mine opened up an OG1 and thought it was stunning. Can't wait to get my hands on mine in a few weeks.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by MatthewT » October 12th, 2020, 7:57 pm

lol, posted this in wrong thread about 30 min ago. But in the last 30 min it's gotten better and better...another winner.

"Opened famed #11 today. I got my dad got a case so it was shipped to him despite the holds for my wine. It's good. Not as good as #2 but good. Mind you this was $16 a bottle. It drinks well above that price point. I'm very satisfied with it."
I'm a Turk

Eric White

#155 Post by Eric White » October 13th, 2020, 7:07 am

Eric White wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 6:12 pm
Drinking the No. 15 Merlot tonight, after only a short decant. Once again, I'm not in the formal note-taking mood tonight, but my take is slightly different from others I've read, I think this has the stuffing to age a few years (at least) - good fruit, a lotta oak at this stage, and grippy tannins that could use a little time to settle down. Awesome value (less than $15 delivered), once again. I would not be surprised to see a $40++ price tag on this wine (and I'd probably be happy paying it).
whoops, the numbers tripped me up! I was drinking the No.04 Merlot, not the 15 - 15 is due to be delivered tomorrow :)

williamwhelan

#156 Post by williamwhelan » October 13th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Opened a No. 1 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon tonight, tasted at the time of opening and then again after decanting 1 hour over the next three hours.

*Very* ripe black fruit set, a bit flamboyant with the fruit right off the bat but it's not like that was totally unexpected. The palate is where things fell apart tonight. Finish was pretty abrupt and the mid-palate was a bit shallow. Split a case of this with a buddy of mine and this is bottle #1, so I'm interested to taste through the other five as time goes on. However, based on this and the No. 2, it's pretty clear that my personal tastes are unlikely to align with these wines so I'm probably done buying anything else going forward.
ITB, DTC sales

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#157 Post by Nate Simon » October 13th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Berserkers:
“Travel shock!”
“Bottle shock!”
“Improperly decanted!”
“Too cold!”
“Too warm!”
“Too young!”

Also Berserkers:
“I opened this Napa Cabernet 3 months after bottling and 1 hour after it was delivered, and it wasn’t a completely mind-blowing experience! This producer is a charlatan!”

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#158 Post by Michael Martin » October 14th, 2020, 6:41 am

williamwhelan wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 9:40 pm
Opened a No. 1 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon tonight, tasted at the time of opening and then again after decanting 1 hour over the next three hours.

*Very* ripe black fruit set, a bit flamboyant with the fruit right off the bat but it's not like that was totally unexpected. The palate is where things fell apart tonight. Finish was pretty abrupt and the mid-palate was a bit shallow. Split a case of this with a buddy of mine and this is bottle #1, so I'm interested to taste through the other five as time goes on. However, based on this and the No. 2, it's pretty clear that my personal tastes are unlikely to align with these wines so I'm probably done buying anything else going forward.
1 is a bit of a tough one. I had the best results on day 3 and even then it was a pretty dark, oak laden wine. Some will love it, some won’t.

williamwhelan

#159 Post by williamwhelan » October 14th, 2020, 7:43 am

Nate Simon wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 11:02 pm
Berserkers:
“Travel shock!”
“Bottle shock!”
“Improperly decanted!”
“Too cold!”
“Too warm!”
“Too young!”

Also Berserkers:
“I opened this Napa Cabernet 3 months after bottling and 1 hour after it was delivered, and it wasn’t a completely mind-blowing experience! This producer is a charlatan!”
Not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I don't think there was anything unfair about my post and I had no unrealistic expectations. I wanted to get a sense of the wine's stylistic choices and stuffing early on, which I did.
ITB, DTC sales

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by Nate Simon » October 14th, 2020, 8:33 am

williamwhelan wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 7:43 am
Nate Simon wrote:
Berserkers:
“Travel shock!”
“Bottle shock!”
“Improperly decanted!”
“Too cold!”
“Too warm!”
“Too young!”

Also Berserkers:
Not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I don't think there was anything unfair about my post and I had no unrealistic expectations. I wanted to get a sense of the wine's stylistic choices and stuffing early on, which I did.
No, not directed at you at all. Just the general zeitgeist of this (and the other) thread. Someone reporting on a "name-brand" Napa Cabernet this way (opened soon after bottling, posting underwhelming impression) would be ridiculed on the Board.

williamwhelan

#161 Post by williamwhelan » October 14th, 2020, 8:46 am

Nate Simon wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 8:33 am
williamwhelan wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 7:43 am
Nate Simon wrote:
Berserkers:
“Travel shock!”
“Bottle shock!”
“Improperly decanted!”
“Too cold!”
“Too warm!”
“Too young!”

Also Berserkers:
No, not directed at you at all. Just the general zeitgeist of this (and the other) thread. Someone reporting on a "name-brand" Napa Cabernet this way (opened soon after bottling, posting underwhelming impression) would be ridiculed on the Board.
Ah, yeah agreed. No worries at all.
ITB, DTC sales

Scott G r u n e r

#162 Post by Scott G r u n e r » October 14th, 2020, 1:24 pm

FWIW- I appreciate this thread and all the notes posted in it. Has completely affirmed my purchasing decision.
//Cynic

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#163 Post by MatthewT » October 14th, 2020, 6:50 pm

I drank #11 over 3 nights. It's fantastic. I can't believe these wines are sub $20. They are all too young and need years in the bottle but I have now had #2, #3, #7, #11. I'm not only impressed with all 4, I'd have paid 2x and been just as happy with the value I received. At 2x, it would be like the WineAccess stuff I buy.

I think I've bought about 50 cases (some as gifts) so this was a big risk and while it has not gone smoothly it appears to be well worth it. I didn't have a lot of doubt given Cameron's reputation and the unique situation we are in right now.

Very satisfied.
I'm a Turk

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#164 Post by Mike R » October 14th, 2020, 6:56 pm

MatthewT wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:50 pm
I drank #11 over 3 nights. It's fantastic. I can't believe these wines are sub $20. They are all too young and need years in the bottle but I have now had #2, #3, #7, #11. I'm not only impressed with all 4, I'd have paid 2x and been just as happy with the value I received. At 2x, it would be like the WineAccess stuff I buy.

I think I've bought about 50 cases (some as gifts) so this was a big risk and while it has not gone smoothly it appears to be well worth it. I didn't have a lot of doubt given Cameron's reputation and the unique situation we are in right now.

Very satisfied.
I'm extremely happy to hear this! Not only for the many cases I have bought and not yet received, but also for the folks like you who inspired me to buy and have purchased multiples of what I did.
... 0 p 3 r

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#165 Post by MatthewT » October 14th, 2020, 7:02 pm

Mike R wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:56 pm
MatthewT wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Very satisfied.
I'm extremely happy to hear this! Not only for the many cases I have bought and not yet received, but also for the folks like you who inspired me to buy and have purchased multiples of what I did.
My only caveat is a big one:

1) These are the first few offerings he offered. Who knows if the later ones will be as good. We'll know shortly.
2) I know nothing about wine. But I have been drinking it basically daily for 20 years.

The other good news is even offerings I passed on that I thought were subpar like #13 and #17 have rather good reviews. I think $17 was a $10 or $11 bottle of red. What exactly do people expect there? Also I know a lot of people who have had #5, #6, and #8 and for every meh review there is 4 positive. Same goes for the whites. #12 was controversial yet most people love it.
I'm a Turk

Mitch P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#166 Post by Mitch P » October 14th, 2020, 7:26 pm

MatthewT wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 6:45 pm
matt d wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 6:22 pm
OG 17 (napa cab 14.4%) brought to my Friday hangout with friends this is a group that normal drink $10-20 bottles. The group thought were good but drink like a 15-20 dollar bottle. It was short on finish and missing something hope it comes together with some age. This is a hard one as it say napa cab on the label but does not drink like a normal napa cab. so I think it mess with some people in the group. I brought home the rest of the bottle for dinner and with some air it drink like a $20-30 bottle. If this bottle was being tasted at my wine shop for $16. I think I would get a bottle or two but not a case. Hope this comes together with time.
#17 is prob a $30 retail bottle of wine. He never disclosed the price and we are pretty sure it's $30. This is the cheapest retail cab he has sold to date. Pretty high confidence in the source here for #17 and #20 and it's $30.
Drank #17 over two nights. Drank well on first night, but really came together for me on second night. Much more integrated and expressive. As Matt D stated - not your typical Napa cab. Surprised how much of the merlot (only 5%) came through. Very pleased at the price point ($14).
Mitch P @ m e r @ n t z

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#167 Post by Michael Martin » October 14th, 2020, 8:40 pm

15 Merlot is due in tomorrow. I will probably pop a bottle this weekend.
My summary so far:
N.01 needs long term cellaring. 5++ years.
N.02 I like it, but notice big bottle variation.
N.11 not so sure yet.

All the cabs I have had show little resemblance to the better Napa cabs I have had in the past. One in particular actually tastes like a completely different grape than a Cabernet Sauvignon.

I don’t regret these purchases, but they really are no better or worse than similar priced wines I can pick up a bottle at a time at Costco.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#168 Post by larry schaffer » October 14th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Not sure why there would be so much bottle variation in any of these bottlings - period.

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Richard Jen

#169 Post by Richard Jen » October 14th, 2020, 10:17 pm

N.23 2019 Carneros Chardonnay. Nose was banana extract, vanilla, and white blossom. Attack was creamy vanilla and yellow peach, followed by minerality and saline, with m+ acidic yellow peach finish. Very satisfied with this $12 all-in purchase.
[cheers.gif]

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#170 Post by Robert M yers » October 15th, 2020, 4:06 am

larry schaffer wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 8:51 pm
Not sure why there would be so much bottle variation in any of these bottlings - period.

Cheers
#1 was 6k+ cases, what do the biggest tanks hold?

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#171 Post by Michael Martin » October 15th, 2020, 3:50 pm

N.15 Merlot hit today. Early on had sweet/ripe Luden’s cough drop cherry flavor, but with air it settled into what might be my favorite DN wine. Tart black cherry, clove - all in balance and with Merlot typicality. Gonna say this is my favorite DN wine and finally what I was hoping for after weeding through some uneven cabs.

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#172 Post by Bryan Cottriel » October 15th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 5:29 pm
#12 Napa Chardonnay...fresh off the UPS truck and in the fridge. My first impression is how fantastic the nose is. The palate is what I would expect from a normal mid level napa Chardonnay. I guess I expect less, but this is now the 2nd De Négoce wine that has over delivered for the price. I would easily pay $30-40 for this wine.
I opened another one of these tonight. Man is it drinking well. It's very crisp, clean, and super enjoyable. My wife said you should have bought 2 cases. [cheers.gif]

Eric White

#173 Post by Eric White » October 16th, 2020, 7:36 am

cracked a No. 12 Chardonnay last night - not blown away, but a nice chard for the price. I did not find this to be an oak bomb, but I would say it is appropriately priced. Not a screaming deal, but a fair value.

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#174 Post by Mark Morrissette » October 16th, 2020, 8:18 am

Opened a #9 pinot noir last night. Seems like a fruity and peppery representation of pinot noir, with a ton of salinity. It was Ok, but I did not love it. The immortal Drunken Cyclist gave it an 88, which seems about right to me. Certainly a very fair price, but at the same time I would be just as happy if I did not have 11 more bottles.

(Edited with correct number.)
Last edited by Mark Morrissette on October 16th, 2020, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#175 Post by MatthewT » October 16th, 2020, 8:22 am

Mark Morrissette wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 8:18 am
Opened a #12 pinot noir last night. Seems like a fruity and peppery representation of pinot noir, with a ton of salinity. It was Ok, but I did not love it. The immortal Drunken Cyclist gave it an 88, which seems about right to me. Certainly a very fair price, but at the same time I would be just as happy if I did not have 11 more bottles.
#12 is chard. Which Pinot did you open? Prob #7 or #9.
I'm a Turk

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#176 Post by Mark Morrissette » October 16th, 2020, 8:26 am

MatthewT wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 8:22 am
Mark Morrissette wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 8:18 am
Opened a #12 pinot noir last night. Seems like a fruity and peppery representation of pinot noir, with a ton of salinity. It was Ok, but I did not love it. The immortal Drunken Cyclist gave it an 88, which seems about right to me. Certainly a very fair price, but at the same time I would be just as happy if I did not have 11 more bottles.
#12 is chard. Which Pinot did you open? Prob #7 or #9.
Sorry yes, #9. I will edit my post. Thank you!

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#177 Post by Nick F. » October 16th, 2020, 4:12 pm

17 tonight. Very very good wine. More Bordeaux like, long finish.

If 20 is the reserve version of this, it will be a fantastic buy.

17 would be a $50 bottle retail and worth the price
i a s c o n e

BenW

#178 Post by BenW » October 16th, 2020, 4:43 pm

#5 tonight, Coombsville Cab Sav. Nose is lovely, if a little lean, with aniseed, mineral and menthol drowning out plum. The palate reflects the nose: minerally, blackberry and menthol. I expected a little more ripe fruit but found it a little lean(? Austere?) with the mineral and acid but minimal fruit (mostly the aforementioned blackberry). Definitely nice quality and well worth the price but not what I was expecting given the tasting notes.
B.Williams

Eric White

#179 Post by Eric White » October 16th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Drinking the No. 15 Merlot tonight - I am liking this much better than the No. 4 Merlot, at least at this point. 15 is much more accessible right now, packed with dark fruit, show a touch of heat, but not bothersome for me. A really nice Merlot, I'm very happy with this wine.

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#180 Post by Bryan Cottriel » October 16th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Drinking 24 tonight. I received it a few days ago and cellared a few bottles. $9 dollars is a ridiculous value for this wine. It’s drinking really well right now and Cam’s tasting note is pretty spot on.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#181 Post by MatthewT » October 17th, 2020, 6:24 am

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 11:06 pm
Drinking 24 tonight. I received it a few days ago and cellared a few bottles. $9 dollars is a ridiculous value for this wine. It’s drinking really well right now and Cam’s tasting note is pretty spot on.
That's one of the only Pinots I passed on and kind of bummed but that will be offered again in the future at a higher price.
I'm a Turk

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#182 Post by Michael Martin » October 17th, 2020, 6:42 am

I had another N.11 cab (or meritage as it was originally marketed) and I found it pretty balanced and full of fruit at this point. $175 good? No, but enjoyable.

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#183 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » October 17th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Popped the n.15 merlot that I had previously coravined right off the truck. I still think this is the best made wine I’ve had from DN. It is well balanced between oak/fruit, acidity/sweetness. More elegant and restrained than expected, but very smooth. No bite in this from acid or alcohol. I purchased this thinking it would be bigger bodied and I’d drink it a cab alternative, but I’m now planning to drink it more as a pinot or zin alternative. Bright red cherry and cranberry, light oak. I have high expectations for this after some more time in the bottle, but very pleasant right now.

Eric White

#184 Post by Eric White » October 17th, 2020, 5:39 pm

sippin' the OG 16 Sauv Blanc again - really delightful.

C Wagner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#185 Post by C Wagner » October 19th, 2020, 2:15 am

Had a 17 tonight. While it got slighty better as the night went on, not impressed.

I don’t really generally drink grocery store wine, but this struck me as the most bang average wine I’ve drank in years. I’m assuming this is more on me, but still.
Chris

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#186 Post by John O' » October 19th, 2020, 5:53 am

Had the # 06 Cab last night. 3 hour decant. Really good.
O Sullivan

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#187 Post by Troy Stark » October 19th, 2020, 7:37 am

larry schaffer wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Cheers
Moon cycles, duh. ;)
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#188 Post by Peter C. » October 19th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Through the generosity of the same friend who let me try N.1 weeks ago, I got to sample N.17 over 3 days. First day it was very raw and in need of time. By Sunday it was approachable but still shy. Last glass today showed some depth of fruit, seems like a Cab I'd love to have 5-8 years from now. If one were to open one now, I'd suggest decanting it 24 hours in advance and leave it in the decanter. Bet it shows pretty well day 2.
( z y ® y ( @

ValerieA

#189 Post by ValerieA » October 19th, 2020, 4:18 pm

I’ve tasted all cabs, 1,2,3,6,17 and 22. 2 and 17 were the best so far. 6 is lighter with more fruit. 22 needs to stay in the bottle for awhile. Even with a long decant, it doesn’t come together. The 3rd day of an opened bottle shows it has promise though.
[cheers.gif]

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#190 Post by MatthewT » October 19th, 2020, 4:18 pm

I think it's funny #17 is talked about so much on here. Of ALL the de Negoce Cab's, this is the cheapest. Not only the cheapest offering, but also very likely cheapest retail ($30).

This is out of 40+ cabs. I hope when the 20s, 30s, and 40s, are tasted, it will drown out #17 and even #1 (also a $10 offering) so we can truly see if the vast majority of these cabs are the real deal. Because post #17, they were virtually all $15+ tax/shipping and many 18-20.

I'm glad many like it but I don't think it's super relevant as an indication of the overall offerings. I can't wait to hear how the $18-$20 wines are reviewed.

EDIT: Wrote this the exact second Valerie posted her last post. Wasn't at all a response to her. Glad you like #17! I ordered #22 and #21 also so far has been said similar things (needs time) but only 2-3 have reviewed.
I'm a Turk

ValerieA

#191 Post by ValerieA » October 19th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Just goes to show we are Parkerized cab drinkers. So, I’m happy so far and relieved there’s hope for 22. I do have a case of Zinfandel 31 and Pinot coming. My Pinot preferences are on higher priced (Kosta Browne). But as a budget drinker, I can’t do that very often. I’m having a great time here. And more cabs are coming.
[cheers.gif]

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#192 Post by P Intag » October 19th, 2020, 8:19 pm

ValerieA wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 4:48 pm
Just goes to show we are Parkerized cab drinkers. So, I’m happy so far and relieved there’s hope for 22. I do have a case of Zinfandel 31 and Pinot coming. My Pinot preferences are on higher priced (Kosta Browne). But as a budget drinker, I can’t do that very often. I’m having a great time here. And more cabs are coming.
Not sure I understand your reference to "Parkerized" Cabs in relation to #17. 17 is most definitely NOT Parkerized, as it is lower in oak treatment and is on the slightly underripe end of the Cabernet spectrum. I think that is exactly why it IS popular with this mostly Anti-Parker crowd here on WB.
Paul

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#193 Post by larry schaffer » October 19th, 2020, 9:18 pm

MatthewT wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 4:18 pm
I think it's funny #17 is talked about so much on here. Of ALL the de Negoce Cab's, this is the cheapest. Not only the cheapest offering, but also very likely cheapest retail ($30).

This is out of 40+ cabs. I hope when the 20s, 30s, and 40s, are tasted, it will drown out #17 and even #1 (also a $10 offering) so we can truly see if the vast majority of these cabs are the real deal. Because post #17, they were virtually all $15+ tax/shipping and many 18-20.

I'm glad many like it but I don't think it's super relevant as an indication of the overall offerings. I can't wait to hear how the $18-$20 wines are reviewed.

EDIT: Wrote this the exact second Valerie posted her last post. Wasn't at all a response to her. Glad you like #17! I ordered #22 and #21 also so far has been said similar things (needs time) but only 2-3 have reviewed.
I guess time will tell. You DO understand there is no direct correlation between the price of a wine and quality and/or enjoyment, right?

[snort.gif]
larry schaffer
tercero wines

ValerieA

#194 Post by ValerieA » October 19th, 2020, 10:29 pm

P Intag wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 8:19 pm
ValerieA wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 4:48 pm
Not sure I understand your reference to "Parkerized" Cabs in relation to #17. 17 is most definitely NOT Parkerized, as it is lower in oak treatment and is on the slightly underripe end of the Cabernet spectrum. I think that is exactly why it IS popular with this mostly Anti-Parker crowd here on WB.
Hmm, will try 17 again. I’m learning a lot.
[cheers.gif]

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#195 Post by MatthewT » October 20th, 2020, 5:45 am

larry schaffer wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 9:18 pm
MatthewT wrote:

I guess time will tell. You DO understand there is no direct correlation between the price of a wine and quality and/or enjoyment, right?

[snort.gif]
Oh there is DEFINITELY a correlation. Is it 1.00? Of course not. But I'm sure this debate has ten threads on it already so I won't even bother getting into it here. All I will say is I told you we will go to supermarket and buy a Cab for dinner and you could choose a $10 bottle or a $100 bottle (blind to label) I'm pretty sure which one you'd like better! That doesn't mean you can't find a $10 or $15 bottle of wine that's enjoyable.
I'm a Turk

rsmithjr

#196 Post by rsmithjr » October 20th, 2020, 6:26 am

ValerieA wrote:
I’ve tasted all cabs, 1,2,3,6,17 and 22. 2 and 17 were the best so far. 6 is lighter with more fruit. 22 needs to stay in the bottle for awhile. Even with a long decant, it doesn’t come together. The 3rd day of an opened bottle shows it has promise though.
How was the Cab Franc- #3
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#197 Post by Robert M yers » October 20th, 2020, 6:51 am

MatthewT wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 5:45 am
larry schaffer wrote:
MatthewT wrote:

[snort.gif]
Oh there is DEFINITELY a correlation. Is it 1.00? Of course not. But I'm sure this debate has ten threads on it already so I won't even bother getting into it here. All I will say is I told you we will go to supermarket and buy a Cab for dinner and you could choose a $10 bottle or a $100 bottle (blind to label) I'm pretty sure which one you'd like better! That doesn't mean you can't find a $10 or $15 bottle of wine that's enjoyable.
But you’ve long conditioned yourself that all these $18 for $180 deals to be something we have no actual idea if they are. When you go in expecting something your mind plays tricks on you. If you thought the $10 cab at the market was $180 I bet we would all try to find it’s redeeming qualities.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#198 Post by MatthewT » October 20th, 2020, 6:59 am

Robert M yers wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 6:51 am
MatthewT wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 5:45 am
larry schaffer wrote:

[snort.gif]
But you’ve long conditioned yourself that all these $18 for $180 deals to be something we have no actual idea if they are. When you go in expecting something your mind plays tricks on you. If you thought the $10 cab at the market was $180 I bet we would all try to find it’s redeeming qualities.
OK, what you said has nothing to do with what I said. Literally nothing. So I won't bother answering. champagne.gif
I'm a Turk

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#199 Post by Rodrigo B » October 20th, 2020, 7:18 am

There’s definitely a correlation between price and people’s enjoyment of a good. There have been several studies that have shown people enjoy something more if they “know” it’s more expensive. Doesn’t even have to actually be more expensive, just “knowing” something is more expensive even if it isn’t is enough to increase people’s enjoyment of it. And it’s not just people trying to rationalise a higher price, MRI scans have shown peoples brains’ pleasure centres activate more when they “know” they are consuming something more expensive.

So while price higher prices certainly don’t always mean higher quality, or even a greater enjoyment, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that people’s enjoyment of a wine often does move up as the price does.

That doesn't mean great wines can't be found at any price point and that people can't enjoy a $20 as much as they enjoy a $200 one. But rather that on average, people's enjoyment of a wine tends to be correlated with their perception of its price.
B r a g a

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#200 Post by MatthewT » October 20th, 2020, 7:21 am

Rodrigo B wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 7:18 am
There’s definitely a correlation between price and people’s enjoyment of a good. There have been several studies that have shown people enjoy something more if they “know” it’s more expensive. Doesn’t even have to actually be more expensive, just “knowing” something is more expensive even if it isn’t is enough to increase people’s enjoyment of it. And it’s not just people trying to rationalise a higher price, MRI scans have shown peoples brains’ pleasure centres activate more when they “know” they are consuming something more expensive.

So while price higher prices certainly don’t always mean higher quality, or even a greater enjoyment, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that people’s enjoyment of a wine often does move up as the price does.

That doesn't mean great wines can't be found at any price point and that people can't enjoy a $20 as much as they enjoy a $200 one. But rather that on average, people's enjoyment of a wine tends to be correlated with their perception of its price.
This is great and TRUE but not at ALL what I was saying. I'm saying BLIND tasting, $10 vs $100 supermarket wine, same varietal, there is a much better chance you will like the $100 one. Hard stop.
I'm a Turk

Return to “Wine Talk”