What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
loren.grossman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

#1001 Post by loren.grossman »

Decided to open an OG 82. Expected a kinda crowd pleaser meritage and instead very pleasantly surprised. Painfully young but still showing bright cherry/black cherry, mineral laden, cassis, cedar and malabar pepper. Orange oil. Really good energy and depth. Palate shows good integration and balance. Firm, coating tannins. This will do well with time and will develop further. Could be given a long decant and a rib eye as well. Hard to believe this was less than $20 a bottle? I will serve this blind to Bordeaux loving friends. Crazy value.

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1002 Post by Luca Giupponi »

loren.grossman wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:37 pm Decided to open an OG 82. Expected a kinda crowd pleaser meritage and instead very pleasantly surprised. Painfully young but still showing bright cherry/black cherry, mineral laden, cassis, cedar and malabar pepper. Orange oil. Really good energy and depth. Palate shows good integration and balance. Firm, coating tannins. This will do well with time and will develop further. Could be given a long decant and a rib eye as well. Hard to believe this was less than $20 a bottle? I will serve this blind to Bordeaux loving friends. Crazy value.
This is really good to hear, especially after all the bad reviews N.50 is getting, as 50 and 82 were my first two purchases. Also, I’m glad I gave away a bunch of the 50s but none of the 82s! Planning on not touching these for a few years.

Thanks for sharing!

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1003 Post by Eric White »

@Luca - re: No. 50, I've had it a couple time now, I'm not at all worried. Let 'em sleep a bit.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1004 Post by MatthewT »

Luca Giupponi wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:27 pm
loren.grossman wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:37 pm Decided to open an OG 82. Expected a kinda crowd pleaser meritage and instead very pleasantly surprised. Painfully young but still showing bright cherry/black cherry, mineral laden, cassis, cedar and malabar pepper. Orange oil. Really good energy and depth. Palate shows good integration and balance. Firm, coating tannins. This will do well with time and will develop further. Could be given a long decant and a rib eye as well. Hard to believe this was less than $20 a bottle? I will serve this blind to Bordeaux loving friends. Crazy value.
This is really good to hear, especially after all the bad reviews N.50 is getting, as 50 and 82 were my first two purchases. Also, I’m glad I gave away a bunch of the 50s but none of the 82s! Planning on not touching these for a few years.

Thanks for sharing!
I've had prob 4 or 5 #50's and have liked them all. Will let the others sit but don't let the negative reviews effect you. I got 2 cases of each 50 and 82 and had one of the 50's sent to my house cause of the black friday sale and that's why I've had so many. Both 82's are at storage.
I'm a Turk

Chadly S
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1005 Post by Chadly S »

MatthewT wrote: April 6th, 2021, 8:16 pm
Luca Giupponi wrote: April 6th, 2021, 6:27 pm

Thanks for sharing!
I've had prob 4 or 5 #50's and have liked them all. Will let the others sit but don't let the negative reviews effect you. I got 2 cases of each 50 and 82 and had one of the 50's sent to my house cause of the black friday sale and that's why I've had so many. Both 82's are at storage.
I've had a couple of #50s and thought they were quite good. They were a step up from #2, #5, and #13. I felt #50 was much more ready to drink and was more complex and balanced. Caveat is that my tastes align well with Washington cabs.
Chad Szczepanski

cpratt

#1006 Post by cpratt »

For the record, I assuredly did not drink all of these wines at a single go. I didn't take notes at the time, but here's some unreliable impressions on a few of the dNs currently cluttering up my garage:

2018 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon OG N.91, $12: I first heard about dN on Black Friday and was immediately smitten. I'm a graduate of the Central Washington University wine trade professional program, but I live in San Diego these days - and I really miss Washington wine, so I was very excited at the prospect of stocking up on some of my old favorites without having to, you know, pony up serious cash. I've since opened two bottles of this; it is delicious and very Washington. Wonderfully elegant texture, bright acidity, oak isn't in your face about it, just really good stuff. I'm trying hard to keep my mitts off the rest of the case but that's going to be a struggle.

2017 Mendocino Carignane OG N.135, $8: This is every bit as good as Ridge carignane or the good stuff from Chile. Stupid value here. I think you'd want to finish this by the end of the year because I can't imagine this getting any better with age. Tempted to describe this as non-crap Gamay but that'd do this wine a disservice; it's beautiful, spicy, elegant, and it smells really (bad swear deleted) good.

2018 Chalk Hill Malbec OG N.118, $15: Gotta admit that part of me is embarrassed to enjoy this wine as much as I do. After all, Serious Wine People are all about drinking, I don't know, piquette made in Austin, TX, or something you can't pronounce made somewhere you don't recognize, right? But here we are in California, it's Malbec, it's ripe, it's plush, it's so oaky you could practically bury something in it, and it's stupid delicious. Dessert in a bottle, port without the headache, surprised it wasn't actually made by Ghirardelli or Godiva. I don't know if this would be good with food, but it is awesome just to drink after dinner by itself. Liquid Oreo cookie sludge, basically. Don't let the cool wine kids see you doing it, though.

2019 Columbia Valley White Blend OG N.83 (70/30 sémillon/chenin), $8: I could've sworn this was straight chenin blanc while I was drinking it, but looking at the dN website, welp, I was wrong. I was hoping this might be somewhere near as good as l'Ecole No. 41 sémillon, and it's definitely playing in that league. I love Washington chenin blanc, the sémillon is aight as well, and this stuff drank like a reasonable quality South African chenin, very pleasant, white flowers, smooth, talc-y, very good without quite going all the way to amazing. Eight bucks, though? That's a steal.

2019 Columbia Valley Sémillon OG N.84, $8: I opened this the same night as the N.83 and dear reader, I lost my shit. This is my favorite of all the dN wines I've drunk so far. Stupendously lovely, ethereal, textural wine with the smell but not the heaviness of butter, jasmine, vibrant acidity, and an overwhelming frisson of seriousness. I have no idea who though it would be a good idea to bulk this stuff out - someone must have been hurting. I wish I'd bought at least a full case of this one.

2019 Carneros Pinot Noir OG N.115 Rosé, $9: "This sucks more than anything has ever sucked before." - me after opening the first bottle. I've since given as much of this away as I could, but the neighbors are now giving my the stink-eye and my friends aren't responding to Signal messages, so this might not be just me. Ironically, I opened one more bottle last night and I don't know why, but it was tolerable and I actually finished a bottle for the first time. Even so, this wine is a bummer, man. I should have just gone with another case of Kirkland Signature Côtes de Provence rosé.

2019 Anderson Valley Pinot Noir OG N.125, $10: Biodynamic, low alcohol Pinot? SGTM. Opened one bottle of this; smells correct, looks good, tastes okay, seems like a good deal, but this one needs go have a nice lie-down for another six months at least before trying again. (/me pats wine on head)

2019 Anderson Valley "Reserve" Pinot Noir OG N.126, $12: Wait, this is the reserve? Kind of a strange, yeasty thing going on here interrupting the wine, like someone dropped a Pillsbury biscuit in there. I can't remember wine school enough to put my finger on what's going on here, but I'm thinking that this really, really needs to go back to bed until 2022. Not disappointing, just surprising; as with its sibling, it all smelled and looked good and I'm hopeful for the future on this one. Right now, though, it just ain't there yet. This'll probably be fine, but I wouldn't touch it until next year.

2018 Russian River Pinot Noir OG N.48, $15: For me, drinking this wine is like watching Avengers: Endgame. It's well made, it's popular, it's clear that a lot of money and effort went into it, and I do not particularly care for it. On the other hand, I will note that it does seem to be getting to a place where it all feels much more together, so it's possible that I was just being impatient with this. I should have let it sit around the garage longer before breaking into it. The first bottle I opened, all I could think of was "whoa, who dropped the Mon Chéri bomb in the MT+ barrique?" - it's a bruiser, oaky, fruity, yet still kinda sorta Pinot-y. It's been forever since I've had a Gary Farrell pinot - is that the style? Bet this would sell out at Ruth's Chris in a heartbeat.

2018 Dry Creek Zinfandel OG N.61, $11: Last but not least, this wine is a goddam rock star. This compares favorably to what I'd describe as California Claret - the old school field blend type zinfandels you still see around on occasion that are all about delicacy, finesse, acidity, and perfume (as opposed to density, power, structure, and 16% abv. Don't make me say Turley). Tends to exterminate rational thought when ingested.

So! That's it for now. I've got a lot of Washington syrah/cabernet/merlot lurking, but I'm trying not to touch any of those until much later.
Last edited by cpratt on April 9th, 2021, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
C h r i s

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1007 Post by Kevin Patrick »

OG 70A, 2019 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

A really good effort here. Popped cork and let air for 45 minutes. Dark garnet in color. Lightly floral nose of violets and red fruit. Medium weight in body with a gentle mix of raspberry and cherry coupled with some earthiness. A quite pleasing wine. This was paired against a Meomi Pinot Noir and the de Negoce OG 70A was hands-down the clear winner.

I think the aging post-bottling is finally hitting a good drinking window for these wines. This was my 5th OG 70 and only the 70-C was unpleasant.

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1008 Post by Cameron Hughes »

cpratt wrote: April 8th, 2021, 7:46 am For the record, I assuredly did not drink all of these wines at a single go. I didn't take notes at the time, but here's some unreliable impressions on a few of the dNs currently cluttering up my garage:

2018 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon OG N.91, $12: I first heard about dN on Black Friday and was immediately smitten. I'm a graduate of the Central Washington University wine trade professional program, but I live in San Diego these days - and I really miss Washington wine, so I was very excited at the prospect of stocking up on some of my old favorites without having to, you know, pony up serious cash. I've since opened two bottles of this; it is delicious and very Washington. Wonderfully elegant texture, bright acidity, oak isn't in your face about it, just really good stuff. I'm trying hard to keep my mitts off the rest of the case but that's going to be a struggle.

2017 Mendocino Carignane OG N.135, $8: This is every bit as good as Ridge carignane or the good stuff from Chile. Stupid value here. I think you'd want to finish this by the end of the year because I can't imagine this getting any better with age. Tempted to describe this as non-crap Gamay but that'd do this wine a disservice; it's beautiful, spicy, elegant, and it smells really (bad swear deleted) good.

2018 Chalk Hill Malbec OG N.118, $15: Gotta admit that part of me is embarrassed to enjoy this wine as much as I do. After all, Serious Wine People are all about drinking, I don't know, piquette made in Austin, TX, or something you can't pronounce made somewhere you don't recognize, right? But here we are in California, it's Malbec, it's ripe, it's plush, it's so oaky you could practically bury something in it, and it's stupid delicious. Dessert in a bottle, port without the headache, surprised it wasn't actually made by Ghirardelli or Godiva. I don't know if this would be good with food, but it is awesome just to drink after dinner by itself. Liquid Oreo cookie sludge, basically. Don't let the cool wine kids see you doing it, though.

2019 Columbia Valley White Blend OG N.83 (70/30 sémillon/chenin), $8: I could've sworn this was straight chenin blanc while I was drinking it, but looking at the dN website, welp, I was wrong. I was hoping this might be somewhere near as good as l'Ecole No. 41 sémillon, and it's definitely playing in that league. I love Washington chenin blanc, the sémillon is aight as well, and this stuff drank like a reasonable quality South African chenin, very pleasant, white flowers, smooth, talc-y, very good without quite going all the way to amazing. Eight bucks, though? That's a steal.

2019 Columbia Valley Sémillon OG N.84, $8: I opened this the same night as the N.83 and dear reader, I lost my shit. This is my favorite of all the dN wines I've drunk so far. Stupendously lovely, ethereal, textural wine with the smell but not the heaviness of butter, jasmine, vibrant acidity, and an overwhelming frisson of seriousness. I have no idea who though it would be a good idea to bulk this stuff out - someone must have been hurting. I wish I'd bought at least a full case of this one.

2019 Carneros Pinot Noir OG N.115 Rosé, $9: "This sucks more than anything has ever sucked before." - me after opening the first bottle. I've since given as much of this away as I could, but the neighbors are now giving my the stink-eye and my friends aren't responding to Signal messages, so this might not be just me. Ironically, I opened one more bottle last night and I don't know why, but it was tolerable and I actually finished a bottle for the first time. Even so, this wine is a bummer, man. I should have just gone with another case of Kirkland Signature Côtes de Provence rosé.

2019 Anderson Valley Pinot Noir OG N.125, $10: Biodynamic, low alcohol Pinot? SGTM. Opened one bottle of this; smells correct, looks good, tastes okay, seems like a good deal, but this one needs go have a nice lie-down for another six months at least before trying again. (/me pats wine on head)

2019 Anderson Valley "Reserve" Pinot Noir OG N.126, $12: Wait, this is the reserve? Kind of a strange, yeasty thing going on here interrupting the wine, like someone dropped a Pillsbury biscuit in there. I can't remember wine school enough to put my finger on what's going on here, but I'm thinking that this really, really needs to go back to bed until 2022. Not disappointing, just surprising; as with its sibling, it all smelled and looked good and I'm hopeful for the future on this one. Right now, though, it just ain't there yet. This'll probably be fine, but I wouldn't touch it until next year.

2018 Russian River Pinot Noir OG N.48, $15: For me, drinking this wine is like watching Avengers: Endgame. It's well made, it's popular, it's clear that a lot of money and effort went into it, and I do not particularly care for it. On the other hand, I will note that it does seem to be getting to a place where it all feels much more together, so it's possible that I was just being impatient with this. I should have let it sit around the garage longer before breaking into it. The first bottle I opened, all I could think of was "whoa, who dropped the Mon Chéri bomb in the MT+ barrique?" - it's a bruiser, oaky, fruity, yet still kinda sorta Pinot-y. It's been forever since I've had a Gary Farrell pinot - is that the style? Bet this would sell out at Ruth's Chris in a heartbeat.

2018 Dry Creek Zinfandel OG N.61, $11: Last but not least, this wine is a goddam rock star. This compares favorably to what I'd describe as California Claret - the old school field blend type zinfandels you still see around on occasion that are all about delicacy, finesse, acidity, and perfume (as opposed to density, power, structure, and 16% abv. Don't make me say Turley). Tends to exterminate rational thought when ingested.

So! That's it for now. I've got a lot of Washington syrah/cabernet/merlot lurking, but I'm trying not to touch any of those until much later.
insanely awesome notes Chris. If you ever need a new job...

Quick note note on the 115...I just tasted it with winemaker Mark and we agree its got a huge hole in the middle right now...we blended a like 1% pinot noir in there to flesh out the middle but the two of them are not playing well together just yet...shit. Kind of an earthy funk that's fighting with the prettiness. The good news is it should be resolved shortly...I would give this another month and I think you'll have completely different animal.

And, yes, 125 and 126 are in a weird place right now...low alc and low ph can take a while to go gently into the bottle. When I first tasted these I found them to be very tightly wound and it wasn't until couple days later that I had my eureka moment. Should be singing in the Fall however...

Henry Ip

#1009 Post by Henry Ip »

Henry Ip wrote: April 9th, 2021, 11:21 am
Toby P wrote: April 9th, 2021, 6:57 am If anyone wants to PnP a 151 (Napa reserve meritage) and take one for the team I'd be very interested...although I guess it may still be in bottle shock so who knows if it would even tell us much.
I actually PnP 151 last night straight off the UPS truck. 1/2hr decant, not much on the nose and a bit of an alcohol tinge. Silky mouthfeel, medium bodied with red fruits, crushed violets, mineral notes and oak but it was a bit hot and bitter on palate. It did get a little better 2-3hrs after with the addition of cherries, plum and a slight tart/acidity on the finish.

Will give it a go again tonight.
Day 2: Night and day difference. Fruit is still muted upon entry but the black fruits are starting to peek through. Alcohol is subdued and bitterness is gone. Starting to get dark chocolate along with the plum and cherries leading to a mineral and gravel/chalky finish.

Starting to come around after a day and this wine really benefits from 2-3hr decant.

Finishing up the rest of it tonight.

K Kl@dder

#1010 Post by K Kl@dder »

I popped a 151 Thursday night after it spent 24 hours next to the front door. Really good wine, very monolithic, but in a good way. PnP, agree not much aroma, but good flavor profile. What I really enjoyed was the evolution of the flavor profile over 2 glasses Thursday night and 1 Friday night. First was “springy”, then seemed to move to a muted, smooth zone, but by third glass Friday had revv’ed back up on the fruit and was in the zone. No bad profile out of the three. No edges what so ever, really easy drinking. Really glad I bought this one.
K e i t h

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1011 Post by John O' »

#8 on day 2 was light years better than pop n poured #8 on day 1
O Sullivan

Jim Zan0ni

#1012 Post by Jim Zan0ni »

K Kl@dder wrote: April 10th, 2021, 4:40 pm I popped a 151 Thursday night after it spent 24 hours next to the front door. Really good wine, very monolithic, but in a good way. PnP, agree not much aroma, but good flavor profile. What I really enjoyed was the evolution of the flavor profile over 2 glasses Thursday night and 1 Friday night. First was “springy”, then seemed to move to a muted, smooth zone, but by third glass Friday had revv’ed back up on the fruit and was in the zone. No bad profile out of the three. No edges what so ever, really easy drinking. Really glad I bought this one.
Thanks for the notes. I was holding off opening since it bottled in Feb but I guess I will give it a go now sometime during the week.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1013 Post by Michael Martin »

Had another N.93 Zin last night. Still the most enjoyable of all the wines I’ve bought. Nice licorice, black fruits and eucalyptus. Seems like it could improve as well, being on the young/shocked side yet.

All the cabs I have: N.01, N.02, N.11 all need years yet. The N.135 Carignane is good, but it’s a light, monolithic red and is probably at about where it will be long term. The N.15 Merlot was a dud.

So I am enjoying the 93 and letting the others sit.

K Kl@dder

#1014 Post by K Kl@dder »

Jim Zan0ni wrote: April 11th, 2021, 5:49 am
K Kl@dder wrote: April 10th, 2021, 4:40 pm I popped a 151 Thursday night after it spent 24 hours next to the front door. Really good wine, very monolithic, but in a good way. PnP, agree not much aroma, but good flavor profile. What I really enjoyed was the evolution of the flavor profile over 2 glasses Thursday night and 1 Friday night. First was “springy”, then seemed to move to a muted, smooth zone, but by third glass Friday had revv’ed back up on the fruit and was in the zone. No bad profile out of the three. No edges what so ever, really easy drinking. Really glad I bought this one.
Thanks for the notes. I was holding off opening since it bottled in Feb but I guess I will give it a go now sometime during the week.
The way I look at it, I've got a case, diving into one bottle early tells me what I have and encourages/ discourages more purchases. So far, only 1 that was an early regret out of 12 cases bought.
K e i t h

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1015 Post by John O' »

Chardonnay's: Did not think 36 and 62 lived up to the billing. Really like 152.
O Sullivan

Return to “Wine Talk”