What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

#101 Post by Mike R » October 9th, 2020, 10:35 am

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 10:31 am
Mike R wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 10:00 am
Rodrigo B wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 7:06 am

I agree. Most dN wine buyers aren’t the type to purchase a significant amount of $100+ wines. Which is why I’m curious to hear from everyone. If you were in the market for a $100-$150 would you feel that that particular dN wine delivered on that stated price? How much will that affect people’s future purchase decisions or are they just going to see these as affordable daily drinker that while not being worth the ~$100 Cam noted may still better than a $15 supermarket wine?
While I wouldn't call myself a "regular" $100+ drinker, a significant portion of the bottles I own cost around $100, and have drank many $100+ dollar bottles in my life. For me, a $100 dollar wine and a good $30 dollar wine is more often than not impossible to differentiate. I have had lots of $200+ dollar bottles that were just okay, or in some cases bad, and many $30 dollar bottles that I thought were awesome. I can almost guarantee that if I was asked to blind 6 wines with half costing $30 and half costing $300, there would be little correlation to price in my results.

I look forward to drinking these wines for what they hopefully are: high quality < $20 dollar bottles. I can't imagine paying $100 for any dN, simply because a big part of what makes a $100 dollar wine $100 is knowing the story of the wine, etc... People don't like to admit it, but a big portion of wine tasting and buying is emotional.
I thought this thread was about what De Negoce wine you are drinking tonight? There is another thread that is 100 something pages long to argue all you want about this stuff. It would be nice to have one thread where this stays out of. I bought quite a few of the De Negoce wines and would love to read what people think about those wines. [soap.gif] Carry on...
Which took more time, making this post, or just scrolling past the one you don't want to see?
... 0 p 3 r

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Rodrigo B » October 9th, 2020, 10:38 am

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
I thought this thread was about what De Negoce wine you are drinking tonight? There is another thread that is 100 something pages long to argue all you want about this stuff. It would be nice to have one thread where this stays out of. I bought quite a few of the De Negoce wines and would love to read what people think about those wines. [soap.gif] Carry on...
The thing I was interested in hearing from people who are finally drinking these wines is how they are perceiving the quality of the wine relative to both the price they paid for it and to the retail price Cam listed, but I do concede that we may have gotten a bit sidetracked in some of the back and forth.
B r a g a

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Bryan Cottriel » October 9th, 2020, 10:43 am

Mike R wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 10:35 am
Bryan Cottriel wrote:
Mike R wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 10:00 am

While I wouldn't call myself a "regular" $100+ drinker, a significant portion of the bottles I own cost around $100, and have drank many $100+ dollar bottles in my life. For me, a $100 dollar wine and a good $30 dollar wine is more often than not impossible to differentiate. I have had lots of $200+ dollar bottles that were just okay, or in some cases bad, and many $30 dollar bottles that I thought were awesome. I can almost guarantee that if I was asked to blind 6 wines with half costing $30 and half costing $300, there would be little correlation to price in my results.

I look forward to drinking these wines for what they hopefully are: high quality < $20 dollar bottles. I can't imagine paying $100 for any dN, simply because a big part of what makes a $100 dollar wine $100 is knowing the story of the wine, etc... People don't like to admit it, but a big portion of wine tasting and buying is emotional.
Which took more time, making this post, or just scrolling past the one you don't want to see?
Not sure..I type really fast

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Bryan Cottriel » October 9th, 2020, 10:46 am

Rodrigo B wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 10:38 am
Bryan Cottriel wrote:
The thing I was interested in hearing from people who are finally drinking these wines is how they are perceiving the quality of the wine relative to both the price they paid for it and to the retail price Cam listed, but I do concede that we may have gotten a bit sidetracked in some of the back and forth.
I totally get it and I am in the same boat. It appears that most are putting that in their notes. I will continue to put it in my notes as well. I am opening 1 & 16 tonight.

ChrisWolff

#105 Post by ChrisWolff » October 9th, 2020, 11:15 am

Agreed Brian. Let’s not turn this one into a dumpster fire as well

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » October 9th, 2020, 2:45 pm

N.01, coravined straight off the truck again today.

Strong oak influence on the nose: Tobacco, espresso, dark jammy fruit. My type of wine.

Smooth and velvety on the palate, you can tell there is high alcohol with the glycerin mouthfeel, but just a touch of heat. Taste is consistent with the nose, but add in a bit of dark chocolate and red fruit. There is tannin, but IMO this is the most drinkable of the 4 DNs I’ve had: 1, 5, 8, 15. The only strong criticism I have is the taste dies fast on the finish, which just makes me come back for the next sip more quickly. At $10, you really cant beat it. Perfect cellar defender or Tuesday night wine. I’d be happy to have it on Friday, but would reach for something a step or two above with a nice meal.

Overall, my order of preference would be 5, 1 (by a nose), 15, 8. 15 is likely the best made wine, but I prefer the bigger style of the 1 and 5 cabs. People are going to really be pleased with 15 if you like the style.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Rich Brown » October 9th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Strong oak influence on the nose: Tobacco, espresso, dark jammy fruit. My type of wine.

Smooth and velvety on the palate, you can tell there is high alcohol with the glycerin mouthfeel, but just a touch of heat. Taste is consistent with the nose, but add in a bit of dark chocolate and red fruit. There is tannin, but IMO this is the most drinkable of the 4 DNs I’ve had: 1, 5, 8, 15. The only strong criticism I have is the taste dies fast on the finish, which just makes me come back for the next sip more quickly. At $10, you really cant beat it. Perfect cellar defender or Tuesday night wine. I’d be happy to have it on Friday, but would reach for something a step or two above with a nice meal.

Overall, my order of preference would be 5, 1 (by a nose), 15, 8. 15 is likely the best made wine, but I prefer the bigger style of the 1 and 5 cabs. People are going to really be pleased with 15 if you like the style.
Thanks Chris! #1 is one of the cases I split. When you say strong oak influence.....how strong are we talking, ha! As I mentioned in the other thread, heavy handed oak is by far my #1 concern with these wines. I know they're super young so I'd expect the oak to stick out a bit....but if you were a betting man, do you think it will integrate with time? Any feedback there would be appreciated :)

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » October 9th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 2:59 pm
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:

Thanks Chris! #1 is one of the cases I split. When you say strong oak influence.....how strong are we talking, ha! As I mentioned in the other thread, heavy handed oak is by far my #1 concern with these wines. I know they're super young so I'd expect the oak to stick out a bit....but if you were a betting man, do you think it will integrate with time? Any feedback there would be appreciated :)
I think it will integrate to an extent, but I’m not sure how long this one is going to age given the short finish and moderate tannins. I’m going to drink these over the next year or two given my experience today. One note of optimism is that the palate was more balanced between fruit and oak, but the oak definitely dominated the nose. However, this was straight out of the bottle with no air, and straight off the UPS truck so things could certainly evolve, and I expect them to.

K Kl@dder

#109 Post by K Kl@dder » October 9th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Popped an OG13 last night. Decent wine with a single vineyard profile (don’t recall if it is or not). I feel this needs a couple years in bottle to come together. I prefer OG6, but they are definitely different wines. This is what I like about DN, different flavor profiles that give a taste across the Napa Valley at very reasonable price points.
K e i t h

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Rich Brown » October 9th, 2020, 4:37 pm

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 3:17 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 2:59 pm
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:

I think it will integrate to an extent, but I’m not sure how long this one is going to age given the short finish and moderate tannins. I’m going to drink these over the next year or two given my experience today. One note of optimism is that the palate was more balanced between fruit and oak, but the oak definitely dominated the nose. However, this was straight out of the bottle with no air, and straight off the UPS truck so things could certainly evolve, and I expect them to.
Yep, makes perfect sense. Appreciate the note and feedback Chris - Super helpful for sure [cheers.gif]

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Nick F. » October 9th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Drinking 08 tonight. Pretty good, not a $75 cab but exactly what I want it to be. Weeknight drinker, cellar defender and given time maybe more
i a s c o n e

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by MatthewT » October 9th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Nick F. wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 4:39 pm
Drinking 08 tonight. Pretty good, not a $75 cab but exactly what I want it to be. Weeknight drinker, cellar defender and given time maybe more
Well to be fair, it would be better if it was all of that AND a $75 cab! So it can't be "exactly" what you want it to be unless you mean a $75 cab might take years to develop while this one drinks good now?
I'm a Turk

matt d

#113 Post by matt d » October 9th, 2020, 6:22 pm

OG 17 (napa cab 14.4%) brought to my Friday hangout with friends this is a group that normal drink $10-20 bottles. The group thought were good but drink like a 15-20 dollar bottle. It was short on finish and missing something hope it comes together with some age. This is a hard one as it say napa cab on the label but does not drink like a normal napa cab. so I think it mess with some people in the group. I brought home the rest of the bottle for dinner and with some air it drink like a $20-30 bottle. If this bottle was being tasted at my wine shop for $16. I think I would get a bottle or two but not a case. Hope this comes together with time.
M@tthew D@h@r

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Bryan Cottriel » October 9th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Drinking N.16 while making some pizzas. The nose once again is extremely nice. The palate is really “smooth” with pretty much zero structure or with just a little acid. It was definitely made to drink now. That being said, it is very good for $9 and super enjoyable. Value wise I would probably pay $25-$30

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by MatthewT » October 9th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Just popped a #7, the Sta Rita Hills Pinot. It accidentally got shipped but I told them to let it come. This is great for $10. I prefer Loring Sta Rita Hills for $25 but that's 150% more expensive. I will gladly drink this and I'm sure my wife and the two cases I bought as gifts will be well received.

EDIT: Posted this in wrong thread an hour ago. As it's opened up, it's even better. Very good Pinot. Absolutely drinks like the $25-$35 ones we drink around here.
I'm a Turk

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by MatthewT » October 9th, 2020, 6:45 pm

matt d wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 6:22 pm
OG 17 (napa cab 14.4%) brought to my Friday hangout with friends this is a group that normal drink $10-20 bottles. The group thought were good but drink like a 15-20 dollar bottle. It was short on finish and missing something hope it comes together with some age. This is a hard one as it say napa cab on the label but does not drink like a normal napa cab. so I think it mess with some people in the group. I brought home the rest of the bottle for dinner and with some air it drink like a $20-30 bottle. If this bottle was being tasted at my wine shop for $16. I think I would get a bottle or two but not a case. Hope this comes together with time.
#17 is prob a $30 retail bottle of wine. He never disclosed the price and we are pretty sure it's $30. This is the cheapest retail cab he has sold to date. Pretty high confidence in the source here for #17 and #20 and it's $30.
I'm a Turk

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Bryan Cottriel » October 9th, 2020, 7:28 pm

What’s the % blends on 1?

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by Rodrigo B » October 9th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 7:28 pm
What’s the % blends on 1?
100% Cab from various AVAs: 74% Napa Valley (vineyard sandwiched between Coombsville and Atlas Peak AVA's), 21% Coombsville, and 5% Rutherford."
B r a g a

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by MatthewT » October 9th, 2020, 8:08 pm

I know everyone thinks I'm a Cam shill but my wife thinks #7 is as good as all the Pinot we drink in the house which is predominately Loring Sta Rita Hills @ 25 a bottle if bought as a future. I also think Loring is an incredible value at $25 and drinks like something 2x it's price. I think they do too! Anyway, if I could, I'd buy this regularly for $10 and make it our house Pinot. Could not be more satisfied.
I'm a Turk

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by Rodrigo B » October 9th, 2020, 8:12 pm

MatthewT wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 8:08 pm
I know everyone thinks I'm a Cam shill but my wife thinks #7 is as good as all the Pinot we drink in the house which is predominately Loring Sta Rita Hills @ 25 a bottle if bought as a future. I also think Loring is an incredible value at $25 and drinks like something 2x it's price. I think they do too! Anyway, if I could, I'd buy this regularly for $10 and make it our house Pinot. Could not be more satisfied.
Well... from the horse's mouth in the main dN thread:
MatthewT wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 12:44 pm
I am Cam
B r a g a

Chris Crutchfield

#121 Post by Chris Crutchfield » October 9th, 2020, 8:19 pm

I mean technically you can't be a Cam shill if you are Cam himself.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by MatthewT » October 9th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 8:19 pm
I like to keep everyone guessing. One of the highlights was when I shipped the wine to myself I asked myself to hold. Thankfully myself made it right and recalled the wine.
I'm a Turk

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by Rodrigo B » October 9th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
Misread Matt’s post tbh… [oops.gif] [bye.gif]
B r a g a

Chris Crutchfield

#124 Post by Chris Crutchfield » October 9th, 2020, 8:24 pm

MatthewT wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 8:21 pm
I like to keep everyone guessing. One of the highlights was when I shipped the wine to myself I asked myself to hold. Thankfully myself made it right and recalled the wine.
That was some deft sleight of hand. I almost fell for it.

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by C. Heinsen » October 10th, 2020, 6:24 am

I am curious if anyone here has revised their guess of the source of the wine after tasting it. Newer to dN but have seen the guesses on the recent releases. Sure same thing happened on earlier OGs that have been shipped and opened.

My guess is probably no, because Cam has probably imparted different winemaking to these wines, but figured worth throwing the question out there in case any of those who have tasted it have a new opinion of the source.
C h r i s

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Rodrigo B » October 10th, 2020, 7:12 am

C. Heinsen wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 6:24 am
I am curious if anyone here has revised their guess of the source of the wine after tasting it. Newer to dN but have seen the guesses on the recent releases. Sure same thing happened on earlier OGs that have been shipped and opened.

My guess is probably no, because Cam has probably imparted different winemaking to these wines, but figured worth throwing the question out there in case any of those who have tasted it have a new opinion of the source.
Its possible, but I don’t think it will happen much. Much of the gueses for each offerings are based on things other than the taste descriptors like winemaking techniques, vineyards, soil types, producer location, abv range. Those "hints" that lead people to their guesses don't really change after you taste the wine. Now if you have a toss up between two producers based on the info Cam gave, then tasting the wine might lead people to pick one vs. the other
B r a g a

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by Bryan Cottriel » October 10th, 2020, 7:24 am

I drank a small glass of #1 last night. I very rarely drink young cab. The nose was very muted with not much going and the same thing with the palate. I let it sit in the glass for a hour and it started to show well. Still it’s extremely young and probably needs a few years in the bottle or very long decant. This is definitely a well made wine that is obvious and will only get better over time.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Rich Brown » October 10th, 2020, 9:25 am

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 7:24 am
I drank a small glass of #1 last night. I very rarely drink young cab. The nose was very muted with not much going and the same thing with the palate. I let it sit in the glass for a hour and it started to show well. Still it’s extremely young and probably needs a few years in the bottle or very long decant. This is definitely a well made wine that is obvious and will only get better over time.
How was the oak treatment Bryan? Sounds like it might be a little heavy but of course the wine is crazy young. Thx!

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by Peter C. » October 10th, 2020, 11:11 am

MatthewT wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 8:21 pm
Chris Crutchfield wrote:
[rofl.gif]
( z y ® y ( @

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by Peter C. » October 10th, 2020, 11:17 am

I posted this in the regular De Negoce thread but since this is TNs, thought I'd just add that I tried the #1 at a buddy's house a couple of weeks ago. It was open 2-3 days at that point I believe. I loved it. Def some oak and maybe it was more present on days 1-2, but I thought it was a really good wine and I wish I bought some.

Palatewise I'm more on the AFWE side of the coin generally, but in the past 3-4 years I've come back to Napa Cabernet. To align palates with mine, I'd take a 2002 Chateau Montelena Estate Cab 10 times out of 10 over any Shafer Hillside Select, Phelps Insignia or Quilceda Creek.

But I do like and appreciate a young Cali Cab as long as it offers some depth of fruit and not just oak. In the past few months I've opened 2015 Mayacamas and Montelena Cabs and enjoyed both.

Anyway, bottom line, I'm on record that #1 is a good to great wine, and def toward great when factoring in price.
( z y ® y ( @

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by Rich Brown » October 10th, 2020, 11:29 am

Peter C. wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 11:17 am
I posted this in the regular De Negoce thread but since this is TNs, thought I'd just add that I tried the #1 at a buddy's house a couple of weeks ago. It was open 2-3 days at that point I believe. I loved it. Def some oak and maybe it was more present on days 1-2, but I thought it was a really good wine and I wish I bought some.

Palatewise I'm more on the AFWE side of the coin generally, but in the past 3-4 years I've come back to Napa Cabernet. To align palates with mine, I'd take a 2002 Chateau Montelena Estate Cab 10 times out of 10 over any Shafer Hillside Select, Phelps Insignia or Quilceda Creek.

But I do like and appreciate a young Cali Cab as long as it offers some depth of fruit and not just oak. In the past few months I've opened 2015 Mayacamas and Montelena Cabs and enjoyed both.

Anyway, bottom line, I'm on record that #1 is a good to great wine, and def toward great when factoring in price.
THIS.....is super helpful! Sounds like we enjoy similar wines so your note is VERY much appreciated and an excellent reference point. Sounds like we'll be happy with #1. B Thank you agsin for the feedback!

J. Patrick Lynch

#132 Post by J. Patrick Lynch » October 10th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 7:20 pm
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 7:17 pm
Also just to clarify, it looks like these are micro-agglomerated corks.
Weird, I thought he said he was using Nomacorc?
Sorry for this late response and my apologies if it has already been answered: N.19 was the first to use Nomacorc.
J @ c k

J. Patrick Lynch

#133 Post by J. Patrick Lynch » October 10th, 2020, 5:33 pm

I'm not the best at tasting notes, but here goes.

OG N.09 - Carmel Valley Pinot Noir (the pushed corks case):

Decanted one hour.

On the nose: black raspberry pie, dirt, fading to strawberry. You immediately get a whiff of alcohol from the higher than usual ABV, but that faded.

On the palate: medium acidity, a bit heavy but a smooth extended finish. Hints of cocoa powder and mushroom.

Paid $11. Would pay $20.

Verdict: not cooked. Going to wait at least 6 months before opening the next one. I don't rate on CT, but I'd put this at 88?
Attachments
IMG_20201010_183444.jpg
Last edited by J. Patrick Lynch on October 10th, 2020, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J @ c k

Eric White

#134 Post by Eric White » October 10th, 2020, 6:12 pm

Drinking the No. 15 Merlot tonight, after only a short decant. Once again, I'm not in the formal note-taking mood tonight, but my take is slightly different from others I've read, I think this has the stuffing to age a few years (at least) - good fruit, a lotta oak at this stage, and grippy tannins that could use a little time to settle down. Awesome value (less than $15 delivered), once again. I would not be surprised to see a $40++ price tag on this wine (and I'd probably be happy paying it).

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by MatthewT » October 10th, 2020, 7:41 pm

J. Patrick Lynch wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 5:33 pm
[*]I'm not the best at tasting notes, but here goes.

Decanted one hour.

On the nose: black raspberry pie, dirt, fading to strawberry. You immediately get a whiff of alcohol from the higher than usual ABV, but that faded.

On the palate: medium acidity, a bit heavy but a smooth extended finish. Hints of cocoa powder and mushroom.

Paid $11. Would pay $20.

Verdict: not cooked. Going to wait at least 6 months before opening the next one. I don't rate on CT, but I'd put this at 88?
I guess it's very fortunate the case you got w/ the pushed corks is a pinot that you would prob drink in the next 1-2 years anyway. I'm really surprised it wasn't cooked given that photo you showed us (I think was you?).

Nevertheless, that's a great review tbh. I have 2 cases of this one coming. Had 1 and then a pro on cellartracker reviewed it really positively and I got a 2nd when it randomly popped up. This is what I wanted for the Pinots. Wines I'd gladly pay $20-$25 for but paid $10. Never expected more.
I'm a Turk

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by Bryan Cottriel » October 10th, 2020, 8:06 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 9:25 am
Bryan Cottriel wrote:
How was the oak treatment Bryan? Sounds like it might be a little heavy but of course the wine is crazy young. Thx!
It’s heavy...on day 2 of being open it’s pretty much the same. I’m going to come back to these in a few months. It’s not bad, but really hard to judge right now.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by Michael Martin » October 10th, 2020, 8:19 pm

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 8:06 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
Bryan Cottriel wrote:
It’s heavy...on day 2 of being open it’s pretty much the same. I’m going to come back to these in a few months. It’s not bad, but really hard to judge right now.
Oak is big on 1. Not as much on the 2 cab and 11 cab that I have had.

Bryan Cottriel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Bryan Cottriel » October 10th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 8:19 pm
Bryan Cottriel wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:

Good to know...thanks for the note.

R Roberts

#139 Post by R Roberts » October 10th, 2020, 9:12 pm

J. Patrick Lynch wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 5:33 pm
I'm not the best at tasting notes, but here goes.

Decanted one hour.

Paid $11. Would pay $20.

Too early to make that "not cooked" call, with pushed corks. I wouldn't wait 6 months, I'd be drinking up now FWIW.
R.ama

Vince L.

#140 Post by Vince L. » October 10th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Opened the 19 Santa Cruz Mt Pinot yesterday and today. Much better today than yesterday. My first SCM PN.

Very fruity on the nose and the taste. Doesn't drink like a 14.5% abv until I drank it with some food then I could feel the heat otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it.

overall not bad for $12 as I would prefer this to $20 Au Bon Climat but I think I'd like Sandhi Sta Rita or RM SC over this at $30. Definitely not worth the over $50 as stated in offer.
l 3 r t

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#141 Post by Rich Brown » October 10th, 2020, 11:30 pm

Bryan Cottriel wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 8:25 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 8:19 pm
Bryan Cottriel wrote:

Good to know...thanks for the note.
Thanks all!

rsmithjr

#142 Post by rsmithjr » October 11th, 2020, 9:38 am

Has anyone opened a # 21 ? No tasting notes on CT.....
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by Sean_S » October 11th, 2020, 9:41 am

Vince L. wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 10:59 pm
Opened the 19 Santa Cruz Mt Pinot yesterday and today. Much better today than yesterday. My first SCM PN.

Very fruity on the nose and the taste. Doesn't drink like a 14.5% abv until I drank it with some food then I could feel the heat otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it.

overall not bad for $12 as I would prefer this to $20 Au Bon Climat but I think I'd like Sandhi Sta Rita or RM SC over this at $30. Definitely not worth the over $50 as stated in offer.
Different palates for sure. The new oak and the ripeness on this one is a turn off for me. It's not bad but its not something I would pick if I had a choice. For me I would take ABC basic Pinot Noir at $20 all day long. That's a wine that always delivers for me.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by Mark Morrissette » October 11th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Drank the #12 Chardonnay (Napa Oak Knoll District) last night with family.

For fun, did a blind tasting between the OG #12, and a 2016 Kistler Vine Hill Vineyard. Not really a fair fight, but thought it would be fun to try.

The two less experienced wine drinkers in the group preferred the OG #12. The two more experienced wine drinkers immediately recognized which was the Kistler, and preferred that, but still really enjoyed the #12.

For the #12, we got lots of citrusy and acidic fruits on the palate, perhaps even some watermelon. As it warmed in the glass, you could detect a soft buttery note that was not there when it was colder. We all very much enjoyed this, and it was a steal at $13 all-in. 90+ Pts. (Kistler was a 94.)

juless

#145 Post by juless » October 11th, 2020, 7:24 pm

newhere
I decanted a bottle of #21 this afternoon. The oak really stood out, as did berry and cherry. I like the tannic character - not too much.

Most of the high price (over $100) wine we purchase is at restaurants. I don’t cellar wine, except vintage port and a few champagnes, so I’m hoping this adventure will upgrade out typical at home dinner wines. (I usually spend about $20.). So far, I’ve only only received #1 and #21. Both wines were so much tastier than our usual. I’m looking forward to getting more of the 14 that I’ve ordered, which includes Chardonnay, rose, merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot noir and Viognier.
S a b a l

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#146 Post by alan weinberg » October 11th, 2020, 8:09 pm

I feel like an outlier. I’ve made one purchase, #19, mainly as a cellar protector. Anybody try it?

Max S.

#147 Post by Max S. » October 11th, 2020, 8:17 pm

juless wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 7:24 pm
newhere
I decanted a bottle of #21 this afternoon. The oak really stood out, as did berry and cherry. I like the tannic character - not too much.

Most of the high price (over $100) wine we purchase is at restaurants. I don’t cellar wine, except vintage port and a few champagnes, so I’m hoping this adventure will upgrade out typical at home dinner wines. (I usually spend about $20.). So far, I’ve only only received #1 and #21. Both wines were so much tastier than our usual. I’m looking forward to getting more of the 14 that I’ve ordered, which includes Chardonnay, rose, merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot noir and Viognier.
As long as it wasn't just the oak standing out, I should be happy. Is it better than the $100 bottles you get at restaurants (probably retails around $50), the $20 bottle at home, or both?
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by Michael Martin » October 11th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Max S. wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 8:17 pm
juless wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 7:24 pm
newhere

As long as it wasn't just the oak standing out, I should be happy. Is it better than the $100 bottles you get at restaurants (probably retails around $50), the $20 bottle at home, or both?
If you are getting a $50 bottle of wine at a restaurant for $100, keep going there. Most others offer $30 bottles at $100.

Max S.

#149 Post by Max S. » October 11th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 8:27 pm
If you are getting a $50 bottle of wine at a restaurant for $100, keep going there. Most others offer $30 bottles at $100.
There's really no consistency, realistically most are probably $40/bottle on average.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by Brent S » October 11th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Drank #13 on Friday night. 2018 Napa cab. It was just delivered. Decanted for an hour. Obviously young and suffering from youth, shipping and bottling shock. Didn’t show well. Hot and disjointed but nice fruit and a pretty nose. Needs to be revisited in 2-4 years.

But my friend that I drank it with loved it and bought 5 of the bottles from me. So what do I know.
Br@nt $prenkle

Return to “Wine Talk”