What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

#951 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Timothy B a l l a r d wrote: March 17th, 2021, 4:02 pm Not going to touch a 138 for months. Bottled end of january. I would wait until past the 4th of July, maybe until this fall. However, you own it. Just seen many purchasers have "taster's regret" after plowing through 5-6 bottles in 3 months only to find out wines were bottle shocked and not yielding what they saw in Cameron's notes. Cheers. Tim
ha! Yes, good advice Tim...waaay too much infanticide going on deadhorse . I do get the excitement, though, and wanting to see if its actually good wine in there; nevertheless, best to wait!

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#952 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Kevin Patrick wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:51 am First genuinely poor showing for a de Negoce wine for me last night.

OG 70C:

Popped cork 30 minutes before sampling. Medium weight in the glass, nice plum hues in appearance. Bright floral aromas display a pleasant nose. Thin and airy on the palate with quite primary notes of under-ripe fruits. Not enjoyable -- one person poured out their glass. That said, there was enough going on in the glass to warrant a return sampling after letting the wine air out a bit. One hour later the wine remained light and airy but settled into a more palatable offering -- smooth texture, still primary but pleasant red cherries and blueberries on the palate with a thin finish. This would rank as a low-end daily drinker given some time but not a wine I've overly optimistic about in the future. Thus far I rank this clearly last of the OG70 bottles. 70A and 70B were at least comparable in quality while 70C was a decided step down. 70D yet to be sampled. Would not want to pay $20 for this wine.
Hey Kevin - yeah, my last tasting was pretty disappointing on these as well. These wines have huge acidity which has to mellow a bit before they become expressive. Right now, they're just babies under a low O2 transmission closure...best to hide these somewhere until *maybe* later this year but even better this time next year. They will come around though.

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#953 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Kevin Patrick wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:51 am First genuinely poor showing for a de Negoce wine for me last night.

OG 70C:

Popped cork 30 minutes before sampling. Medium weight in the glass, nice plum hues in appearance. Bright floral aromas display a pleasant nose. Thin and airy on the palate with quite primary notes of under-ripe fruits. Not enjoyable -- one person poured out their glass. That said, there was enough going on in the glass to warrant a return sampling after letting the wine air out a bit. One hour later the wine remained light and airy but settled into a more palatable offering -- smooth texture, still primary but pleasant red cherries and blueberries on the palate with a thin finish. This would rank as a low-end daily drinker given some time but not a wine I've overly optimistic about in the future. Thus far I rank this clearly last of the OG70 bottles. 70A and 70B were at least comparable in quality while 70C was a decided step down. 70D yet to be sampled. Would not want to pay $20 for this wine.
It's been a little while since I tasted it, but my preferences were A > C > D > B. Then again, I lean more towards the austere camp for pinot noir. I can see if you are more used to CA pinot you might not like these.

<hr!s.L

#954 Post by <hr!s.L »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: March 18th, 2021, 12:24 pm
It's been a little while since I tasted it, but my preferences were A > C > D > B.
I have yet to sample D, but otherwise this is my order of preference as well. B took a long time to come around for me - the first day I couldn’t shake an unpleasant reductive note on the back end, the second day it had blown off and was decidedly better. I found A and C enjoyable after ~2-3 hours of decanting.

Though I ultimately liked all three, for the time being I’ll try my best to take Cameron’s advice and sit on these for as long as my patience allows - I’m willing to wait for further improvements.
L @ n g l 0 i s

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#955 Post by James Lyon »

If I remember correctly OG70 was a series of 4 different 2019 Oregon Pinot Noir Single Vineyard blends. I wouldn't touch any of the wines until 2024 at the earliest.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#956 Post by Rodrigo B »

Opened OG N.69 Merlot and OG N.71 Cab last night. Both were super tight and a bit disjointed when I poured them. I let both open up in the glass for a few hours, but wasn’t much help. Popped the bottles uncovered in the cellar overnight. They’re both showing much better now, but still tight.

OG N.69 Merlot
Really dense and rich red fruit. The oak comes across as much better integrated. Smooth, supple tannins, medium acidity. This will need some time to come together. Going to revisit next year at the earliest, 2023 would likely be even better to start digging through these bottles. Alternatively, a very long decant overnight does it in a pinch for now.

OG N.71
Still somewhat tight and shy on the nose. Mostly oak and a bit of black fruit poking through here and there. On the palate, significantly less harsh the last night. Big and bold ripe black fruits; firm, chewy tannins; and medium plus acidity. This needs even more time in bottle than the N.69 Merlot. I'd say drink from 2025 onwards.
B r @ g @

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#957 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Rodrigo B wrote: March 19th, 2021, 1:01 pm Opened OG N.69 Merlot and OG N.71 Cab last night. Both were super tight and a bit disjointed when I poured them. I let both open up in the glass for a few hours, but wasn’t much help. Popped the bottles uncovered in the cellar overnight. They’re both showing much better now, but still tight.

OG N.69 Merlot
Really dense and rich red fruit. The oak comes across as much better integrated. Smooth, supple tannins, medium acidity. This will need some time to come together. Going to revisit next year at the earliest, 2023 would likely be even better to start digging through these bottles. Alternatively, a very long decant overnight does it in a pinch for now.

OG N.71
Still somewhat tight and shy on the nose. Mostly oak and a bit of black fruit poking through here and there. On the palate, significantly less harsh the last night. Big and bold ripe black fruits; firm, chewy tannins; and medium plus acidity. This needs even more time in bottle than the N.69 Merlot. I'd say drink from 2025 onwards.
Thanks for the tasting notes! I was quite impressed with N.69 when I tried it a few months back, but agree that it will need some time in bottle to better integrate.

How was the ABV on N.71? I recall passing on that one due to it being listed at 15.7%. I take it that it was not too hot?

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#958 Post by Rodrigo B »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: March 19th, 2021, 1:08 pm
Rodrigo B wrote: March 19th, 2021, 1:01 pm Opened OG N.69 Merlot and OG N.71 Cab last night. Both were super tight and a bit disjointed when I poured them. I let both open up in the glass for a few hours, but wasn’t much help. Popped the bottles uncovered in the cellar overnight. They’re both showing much better now, but still tight.

OG N.69 Merlot

OG N.71
Thanks for the tasting notes! I was quite impressed with N.69 when I tried it a few months back, but agree that it will need some time in bottle to better integrate.

How was the ABV on N.71? I recall passing on that one due to it being listed at 15.7%. I take it that it was not too hot?
It surprisingly doesn’t come across as hot at all. Only indication there is of the high ABV is how vicious it is in the glass as you swirl it. If I was served it blind, I don’t think I’d guess it has 15.7% ABV, maybe ~14.8% because of the viscosity. Right now it feels super tight. Every now and then though, when I put my nose to the glass, I can see some traces of good source material poking through the veil. Really dense, concentrated black fruits, albeit a bit tough to pick them out specifically at the moment. I think N.71 is still a bit bottle shocked. I’m planning on leaving it in the cellar uncovered overnight again and checking it out tomorrow.

The N.69 Merlot is already coming together nicely so I’m guessing that will be drunk by tonight. Didn’t do it for me last night, but I’m impressed with it now. It’s going to be a great crowd pleaser in a year or two. Only downside is that right now, it requires a lot of air and some planning before drinking it so it shows well. It’s not one of the offerings I can keep laying around the house over the summer to crack open for guests whenever the a whim strikes.
B r @ g @

Craig Pichette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#959 Post by Craig Pichette »

Popped OG 76 Napa Cab. Decanted for two hours. Very young and tight. Hard to tell. Not expressive at all. Let it sit.

David Kim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#960 Post by David Kim »

I've been uber disciplined with my DN purchases (only bought 69, 82, and 100) so far as I don't drink a ton and finally got around to opening my first bottle with the N.69 Merlot last night. Popped and poured then followed its evolution over the course of about 90 mins in the glass (yes, I'm able to nurse a glass of wine for that long). Started out pretty primary with dark fruits and dusty tannins. After 90 minutes though, it had really opened up and mellowed out with lots more going on. Was showing lots of juicy red fruits, with floral, graphite, and chocolate notes. Alcohol (14.8%) is also pretty well integrated. Excited to see how this wine evolves over the next several years. Gotta say I'm really happy with this purchase. What a steal at an all-in price of $19 a bottle!

Kevin B

#961 Post by Kevin B »

I haven't been too disciplined with purchases, but I have been holding off opening any DN wines for the last few weeks or so. Decided to breakdown tonight. (Spending 4 hours with a grandson in the middle of the terrible twos' will do that to you.) I decided to try the OG N. 125, Anderson Valley Pinot Noir. The color is a a light ruby, lighter than I expected. The nose was incredible. This is the most aromatic wine I can recall. My first impression was a burst of very strong cherry. After awhile in the glass it seemed more like strawberry, still very pronounced. Slowly faded to maybe what Cam says is watermelon in his description. Quite fruity flavor, cherry/strawberry and something else, but not at all sweet. A bit astringent, with a slightly bitter finish on the back of the tongue. Not really unpleasant, and not really lingering, and hard for me to really nail down further. The taste lessoned with time in the glass. All in all a very enjoyable wine. Four months and a day since bottling and I think it's close, but not quite there yet. Very happy with this one, especially for the times I want to get away from the +15% Zins I bought.
Beswick

Michael Singsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#962 Post by Michael Singsen »

We opened a #58 PS from McDowell Valley in Mendocino last night and finished it tonight. Yesterday, it was soft and voluptuous, sweet dark fruit but not at all cloying. We liked it a lot. Today, it had grown into a monster, led by mouth puckering tannins or oaky dry goodness, rewarding a lingering swig with expanding, even explosive, spicy intensity. Glad I bought a case and didn't share it with anyone.

Donald G

#963 Post by Donald G »

I opened two bottles in succession. First was a OG 104 Petit Verdot. It was undrinkable on day one. It had been in the bottle three months. Overnight in the fridge it mellowed out a bit, but the tannins were so very strong. I had it a third night and it mellowed enough to be drinkable, but not anything I want again. It needs a lot of time for the tannins to integrate. Nose was great, fruit was there and very nice. The rasp file tannins were unacceptable.

The next bottle was OG 119 a Walla Walla cab. It definitely needs more time. It is great in every dimension, but it needs more time to mellow. I will not open anything else till it has been in my rack for at least another month...4 months in the bottle.
G o l d s o b e l

<hr!s.L

#964 Post by <hr!s.L »

Donald G wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 7:11 am OG 119 a Walla Walla cab
Thank you for sharing your notes!
Just curious which Walla Walla Cab you had, as OG 119 was Chalk Hill Syrah.
L @ n g l 0 i s

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#965 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Maybe the OG N.139 Horse Heaven Hills Cab Donald? That just arrived for me. Again, read up at top of Page 20 here to see my suggestions and Cam "beating a dead horse". Big reds need many months after bottling to coalesce. Enjoy the wine Donald. Cheers. Tim

Donald G

#966 Post by Donald G »

It was the Chalk Hills Syrah. I have the Horse Heaven Hills too. sorry for the confusion. The next one to open is the Walla Walla Cab. Will report when I do. Right now I am enjoying an Argentinian red blend by Catena. Excellent.
G o l d s o b e l

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#967 Post by Michael Martin »

N.93 Zin. More open than the first bottle. Enjoyable.
Most of my other purchases, one case was more than enough. This one maybe I should of bought two.

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#968 Post by John O' »

Cameron Hughes wrote: March 18th, 2021, 12:23 pm

OG 70C:

Hey Kevin - yeah, my last tasting was pretty disappointing on these as well. These wines have huge acidity which has to mellow a bit before they become expressive. Right now, they're just babies under a low O2 transmission closure...best to hide these somewhere until *maybe* later this year but even better this time next year. They will come around though.
Hey Cam. Small favor. Could you have your team make sure the wines are set up on Cellar Tracker (e.g. 168 Zin)?
O Sullivan

Jeff O
GCC Member
GCC Member

#969 Post by Jeff O »

John O' wrote: March 24th, 2021, 2:26 am
Cameron Hughes wrote: March 18th, 2021, 12:23 pm

OG 70C:

Hey Cam. Small favor. Could you have your team make sure the wines are set up on Cellar Tracker (e.g. 168 Zin)?
168 Zin is there but was more difficult to find because a space was included between the N. and the 168 (unlike prior entries):
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp? ... d=B300F739
0 w 3 n $

rsmithjr

#970 Post by rsmithjr »

I had a 41 the other night. I had decanted it for 2 hours refunneled it and had it 3 days later.

This is a HUGE wine, 16.1 alc and still primary. The complexity is there but wow, wait another 3-4 years.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#971 Post by MatthewT »

#78 is a winner.

"The fruit is sourced from a legendary vineyard just 1000-feet outside the Howell Mountain AVA and is the producer's bottling blend which retails for $140/bottle. This is supple, elegant, meticulous wine/jewelry-making at its finest."

Been in bottle 4.5 months. Popped first one today. Decanted 4-5 hours. It's simply a rich fantastic wine.
I'm a Turk

Kevin N

#972 Post by Kevin N »

MatthewT wrote: March 24th, 2021, 3:43 pm #78 is a winner.

"The fruit is sourced from a legendary vineyard just 1000-feet outside the Howell Mountain AVA and is the producer's bottling blend which retails for $140/bottle. This is supple, elegant, meticulous wine/jewelry-making at its finest."

Been in bottle 4.5 months. Popped first one today. Decanted 4-5 hours. It's simply a rich fantastic wine.
We opened #78 a couple of weeks ago and felt the same thing. Big wine and great in every way. The balance of fruit and earth in this one is perfect. Excited to see how it is as it gets a few more months/years in the bottle.

Does anyone remember the best guesses for the source?
Nieminen

Nick Ellis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#973 Post by Nick Ellis »

Opened a bottle of N.101 (Walla Walla Cab Franc) off the truck tonight. 14.9% alcohol and very extracted, this will never be mistaken for something out of Chinon or Saumur Champigny. There are some green cab franc flavors despite the ripeness, and overall a pretty good bottle for $12 all in.
Nick €llis

Marjie K

#974 Post by Marjie K »

Had Petit Sirah #58 tonight and it was just delicious ! perfect with apps and nicely paired with with dinner. Very pleased with this purchase at $9, how on earth could you go wrong!. It was pretty much as described - fruity, fresh but not too heavy. Ideal for a warmer day here in Phila. If I knew the source, I'd get more !
K r u p n i c k

R Roberts

#975 Post by R Roberts »

N.69: tasty with a decant. Lots of potential, though seems too early so will be sitting on the remaining.
N.135: delicious as a PnP. It will be hard (nor do I see the need) to keep my hands off these.
R.ama

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#976 Post by Michael Martin »

N.93 Zin. Favorite so far, outpacing some of the earlier Napa cabs.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#977 Post by Rich Brown »

Michael Martin wrote: March 26th, 2021, 7:08 pm N.93 Zin. Favorite so far, outpacing some of the earlier Napa cabs.
Nice buddy - high praise coming from a man who knows his zins [cheers.gif]

Donald G

#978 Post by Donald G »

I also popped a 101 cab franc and it went through a series of changes. At first the tannins were very harsh and concealed anything else subtle in the glass. By day two, it had mellowed and the fruit was noticeable. This is not a fruit forward wine. I think it needs time to mellow out. I am waiting at least a year before I go to a second bottle. Do not pair this with anything even mildly sweet. It wen just fine with some feta on toasted sour dough.
G o l d s o b e l

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#979 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Completed the mixed-case line-up of OG 70 last night with 70D.

An interesting wine of contrasts. Pop-n-pour. Nice color of garnet and plums. Muted nose, seemingly shutdown (checked back later and the nose never opened up). Lightweight in the glass I get tasty red cherries, some earthiness and a pleasing note of appropriate sweetness. Though thin on the mouthfeel this is a nice wine. The wine received universal praise in our group with the provision that stylistically thin and lightweight may not appeal to some. At $20 this is a good purchase. For this mixed case my rank order is 70D > 70B > 70A > 70C with only 70C a decided step down in quality from the other three enjoyable wines.

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#980 Post by Eric White »

Kevin N wrote: March 25th, 2021, 2:13 pm We opened #78 a couple of weeks ago and felt the same thing. Big wine and great in every way. The balance of fruit and earth in this one is perfect. Excited to see how it is as it gets a few more months/years in the bottle.

Does anyone remember the best guesses for the source?
According to my notes (as well as denegociants.com), we never came up with a close guess on this one.

B Bauer

#981 Post by B Bauer »

Nine cases ordered and all stacked away for the years to come, ~ but my curiosity just could not be contained and I broke down and opened a 2017 OG N.135 Carignane. This originally priced $8 bottle ($11 with shipping to the east coast plus tax) far exceeded my expectations. In years past, California Carignane 'thin' examples always disappointed us, but I'm glad I made one more stab at this varietal. A fairly deep purple presentation with a darker berried expression than that I have been associated with in the past. I have already noted on my December 2021 holiday calendar 'DN Carignane' as my go to family wine. Regardless of price, ~ a winner.
B o r i s

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#982 Post by Bdklein »

rsmithjr wrote: March 24th, 2021, 12:25 pm I had a 41 the other night. I had decanted it for 2 hours refunneled it and had it 3 days later.

This is a HUGE wine, 16.1 alc and still primary. The complexity is there but wow, wait another 3-4 years.
I tried 1 bottle with a couple of hour decant , and drank it over a few days . It seemed disjointed -hope it comes together .
B r u c e K l e i n

Donald G

#983 Post by Donald G »

NG 102. Cellar Defender. I opened it, drank it. No airing, no decanter. A "nice" wine. There are soft tannins, lots of mild fruit.. It is in no way similar to either a Central Coast Paso or Napa type wine. I like it. I do not think aging will make it better.. Price wise ($10 ++) it is a real bargain.
G o l d s o b e l

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#984 Post by Mike R »

Man, #23 is an awesome awesome chardonnay. If I ever see that one on again I'm gonna grab few cases.
... 0 p 3 r

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#985 Post by Pat P »

Mike R wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 8:10 am Man, #23 is an awesome awesome chardonnay. If I ever see that one on again I'm gonna grab few cases.
They have it in their bottle shop $15.
P 1 5 @ N 0

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#986 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

OG N.20:
Double decanted back into bottle 7 hours before first sampling. Target was to gauge wine on 2nd day. Nose from decanter provided a big clue to potential- big cassis bomb. 1st day- wine poured dark, nose again of cassis and kirsch. Tasted primary and "rustic", tannins substantial not overwhelming. Placed on cellar floor overnight.

2nd evening: This wine completely shined. The pedigree in this wine is clearly there. Not a polished "drink me now" style Cab. This is serious Cabernet meant for aging in a style like Dunn. Start to open these wines a year from now and enjoy for next 10+ years.

The legs on this wine in glass and mouthfeel from glycerin are captivating as well. Source for this wine is same as #17 producer. No price comparison nor scores were provided by Cameron- likely to protect producer. #20 drinks like it is well north of $100 a bottle Napa Cabernet.

Excellent job Cameron. Well worth the $216/case (and it cost more to YOU than other lots like #11 - with a "$175 price tag").

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#987 Post by Eric White »

Just cracked in to the No. 77 Willamette Valley Chardonnay - very nice indeed. Is it Gran Moraine? I still don't know, but I feel it could be. Very pure, focused, a little reductive on the nose (not really a bad thing in this case), melon, tropical fruit, minerals. Well balanced, rich and broad, everything in place. Another winner.

Kevin N

#988 Post by Kevin N »

Opened an N.80 Napa Cabernet tonight (supposedly Bennett Lane reserve). Initially it was pretty tight out of the bottle, but with an hour or so, it started to open up. Cam's notes were pretty spot on. It's in the realm of the more fruit and vanilla forward Cabernets that are most popular right now. It had firm tannins and good balance. Not my favorite style, but still a very good wine. It's a well put together and likely crowd pleasing Napa Cab. I very much like it at the dN price and would be disappointed at the tasting room price. No regrets and this wine will be very well used/shared over the next few years.
Nieminen

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#989 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Eric,
Look back at Rodrigo's comments when the first (and then redacted "Moraine") was removed from a Jackson Family website wording (which is just about the complete verbage used in email release). Decide for yourself. Had a N. 77 over two days a weekend ago. Was better on 2nd day. Glad to bought the 2019 vintage.

https://www.jacksonfamilywines.com/wine ... ly%20Wines

Cheers, Tim

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#990 Post by MatthewT »

Decanted a #1 for 5 hours and drinking it now. For $10 a bottle, the value is ridiculous. CT notes are mixed but positive however many say this is a meh wine. I really disagree. It's delicious and I'd be happy if this a WineAccess $25 bottle.
I'm a Turk

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#991 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Matthew- could not agree more after sampling N. 01 a few weeks ago. Thought it was exactly the bargain I was searching for when offered a $55 winery price at $10. Must admit, the only better deal I'm convinced of, was the purchase of N. 123 at $10. That was $62 at winery we think it's sourced from.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#992 Post by MatthewT »

Timothy B a l l a r d wrote: April 4th, 2021, 5:18 pm Matthew- could not agree more after sampling N. 01 a few weeks ago. Thought it was exactly the bargain I was searching for when offered a $55 winery price at $10. Must admit, the only better deal I'm convinced of, was the purchase of N. 123 at $10. That was $62 at winery we think it's sourced from.
Yes, #123 was so good it went from a cellar defender (I hate that phrase btw) to me needing other bottles to defend it from. I think I drank 3 of the 12 already.

The interesting thing is #1 and #123 are the only bottles of Cab/Merlot I bought that were on the low end of $10-$12 (they both were $10). The other 50 cases or whatever were higher priced with the exception of Pinots and a couple whites. Yes, #1 and #123 are thoroughly satisfying. I'm not sure I can taste much of a difference b/w them and the $15-$20 price point wines I bought.
I'm a Turk

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#993 Post by Eric White »

Eric White wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 5:13 pm Just cracked in to the No. 77 Willamette Valley Chardonnay - very nice indeed. Is it Gran Moraine? I still don't know, but I feel it could be. Very pure, focused, a little reductive on the nose (not really a bad thing in this case), melon, tropical fruit, minerals. Well balanced, rich and broad, everything in place. Another winner.
My wife left a glass (loosely covered) overnight. I just tasted again after 24 hours, and it's still delish, still fresh. Definitely bodes well.

Dave Shorter

#994 Post by Dave Shorter »

Opened a #134 lake county SB. I taste tested it before I re-read Cam’s notes. My take was: light straw color, smells of citrus, tastes of Lychee & stone fruit. For $8/bottle, a heck of a deal. After re-reading Cam’s notes, I’d say he was spot on with his description. And this is absolutely something I’d throw in my cooler for poolside. I would not see much of a reason to wait to drink this. If this comes up in a Tranche 2 offer, I’d consider another case.

Also have been drinking the #10 Napa Rose. Another solid one for me and great wine for warm weather drinking.

Donald G

#995 Post by Donald G »

Could not wait till the recommended June opening date. I let it sit uncorked for two hours and poured a glass. Terrific! Great fruity nose, a mouthful of juicy fruit tempered by smooth tannins. I re-read Cam's notes and I do not have his palate, but it is an outstanding Syrah. It is ready now. Deserves a 94 rating.
G o l d s o b e l

Donald G

#996 Post by Donald G »

I forgot to tell you it was OG n 136 Adelaida Syrah
G o l d s o b e l

Chr!s G|@rn3r

#997 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

Donald G wrote: April 5th, 2021, 2:16 pm Could not wait till the recommended June opening date. I let it sit uncorked for two hours and poured a glass. Terrific! Great fruity nose, a mouthful of juicy fruit tempered by smooth tannins. I re-read Cam's notes and I do not have his palate, but it is an outstanding Syrah. It is ready now. Deserves a 94 rating.
I can’t stop opening them. I wish I had another case.

Rohit B

#998 Post by Rohit B »

Throwing caution to the wind--24h decant on N.138 underway.
13 h @ n

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#999 Post by Jay $$ Winton »

145 last night. Oaky now and it started to close a bit after a couple of hours. I think this will be a solid wine in a few years. Another good Walla Walla, IMO.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Rohit B

#1000 Post by Rohit B »

Rohit B wrote: April 5th, 2021, 6:58 pm Throwing caution to the wind--24h decant on N.138 underway.
Should've been cautious. Needs a lot more time. Probably a year if not more.

Almost bright ruby in color. Much lighter than I expected for a Napa Cab and closer to an austere Sangiovese.

Nose is locked up tighter than a bank vault. Palate is very shocky but can pick up some bright red fruits with a lot of acid. Slightly medicinal in quality at this phase.

Definitely in bottle shock, but also shocks your mouth. Wait for a long time.
13 h @ n

Return to “Wine Talk”