What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
David Buck

Re: What de Négoce wine are you drinking tonight?

#1101 Post by David Buck »

Rodrigo B wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:14 pm
N.25
Initially some Deep dark red fruits and black fruits alongside some baking spices. Really in your face sinewy tannins at the start. Some peppery and green notes, likely from the Cab Franc.

I originally noted it needed A LOT of time, at least 8 years, but after more time, it opened up more and became overall less aggressive. The tannins softened a bitand became better integrated. The fruit became brighter and clearer (all still very concentrated though. Some cherries, pomegranate, blackberries and boysenberries followed by a structured mineral and herbal finish. You can probably drink this now with food, a solid 6h+ decant and if you don’t mind the tannins. Well made wine, solid purchase. I’d say revisit in 5 years with a long decant, ideally 8+

N.40
Brooding is a word that constantly kept coming up when I was tasting this, but at the begining the nose wasn’t giving me much. More red fruited than #25, with redcurrant and cassis and some floral tones. Originally the tannins felt a bit jagged and angular on the palate, but with time they rounded out more and became plusher.

With some time oak started to emerge a bit more. It helped round out the wine a bit, but it’s still a bit dominant right now. Clearly a very well made wine, but needs a lot of time. Revisit in 5-6 years.
5-8 years...you are killing me Rodrigo...lol...Should I leave them in my will ? [swoon.gif] [swoon.gif] :-D :-D

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1102 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Honestly, I haven't had a 2018 deNegoce Cabernet Sauvignon that I felt was ready to drink, even the ones bottled in the early half of 2020. It's a bit ironic because I bought them to be cellar defenders but I guess I need some defenders for my defenders.

The whites on the other hand, particularly those OR chardonnays, have been brilliant.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1103 Post by Rodrigo B »

David- What’d you expect from high end Cabs in the $75-$150 price range? [snort.gif] neener I’m not a huge face of super in your face tannins, so if you enjoy, or tolerate that, then you can probably crack these open sooner with a long decant. I’d say that if I had to pick between N.25 and N.40 to crack another one open to drink I’d opt for N.25 w/ a long decant, but I'd say N.46 and N.47 are in better drinking spots now if you're looking to drink some.

Chris- that’s one of the things that made me start to reconsider my purchases of de Negoce. I have this huge hoard of de Negoce wines that were originally purchased with the goal of consuming them within the next 3 years or so, but realistically they need another 5 before I can crack them open and enjoy them more.

So I don’t have all the cellar defenders I thought I had. Yet that is. The way I see it, I have a short term gap in cellar defenders and down the road I’ll have a stash of mature, but not overly expensive bottles. I’ll have to start digging through the other whites purchased. Haven’t tried the OR Chard yet.

It does change the math on the cost of many of these bottles since I now plan to hold them hold most of them for much longer than anticipated. Nonetheless, no regrets on purchasing any of the wines I recently tasted.
B r @ g @

David Buck

#1104 Post by David Buck »

Rodrigo B wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:38 am David- What’d you expect from high end Cabs in the $75-$150 price range?
Yup....The Wine Enthusisast 2021 vintage chart ad popped up on my Facebook...speaking of devil...CA Cabs ready to drink now year begins at 2014....2015 and up - HOLD....

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1105 Post by Rodrigo B »

David Buck wrote: April 30th, 2021, 8:13 am
Rodrigo B wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:38 am David- What’d you expect from high end Cabs in the $75-$150 price range?
Yup....The Wine Enthusisast 2021 vintage chart ad popped up on my Facebook...speaking of devil...CA Cabs ready to drink now year begins at 2014....2015 and up - HOLD....
I’m equally frustrated to not have access to these wines earlier, but try them out and see how you like them [cheers.gif] . Hopefully you have some whites and OR pinots. Those seem to be drinking well now
B r @ g @

G. D y e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1106 Post by G. D y e r »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:24 am Honestly, I haven't had a 2018 deNegoce Cabernet Sauvignon that I felt was ready to drink, even the ones bottled in the early half of 2020. It's a bit ironic because I bought them to be cellar defenders but I guess I need some defenders for my defenders.

The whites on the other hand, particularly those OR chardonnays, have been brilliant.
I bought n.25 and n.82 precisely because they looked to have high upside. While I've tried a bottle of each--they are young, structured, oaked, and high quality--my plan is to have relatively inexpensive, modern-styled Cabs to age around a decade. Could be less or more time depending on the evolution and how I like the result, but that's the idea.

Others have clearly gone much deeper, and probably the bold, bomber style Cabs will be closer to the cellar defender goal sooner.
Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1107 Post by Mike R »

David Buck wrote: April 30th, 2021, 6:57 am
Rodrigo B wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:14 pm
N.25
Initially some Deep dark red fruits and black fruits alongside some baking spices. Really in your face sinewy tannins at the start. Some peppery and green notes, likely from the Cab Franc.

I originally noted it needed A LOT of time, at least 8 years, but after more time, it opened up more and became overall less aggressive. The tannins softened a bitand became better integrated. The fruit became brighter and clearer (all still very concentrated though. Some cherries, pomegranate, blackberries and boysenberries followed by a structured mineral and herbal finish. You can probably drink this now with food, a solid 6h+ decant and if you don’t mind the tannins. Well made wine, solid purchase. I’d say revisit in 5 years with a long decant, ideally 8+

N.40
Brooding is a word that constantly kept coming up when I was tasting this, but at the begining the nose wasn’t giving me much. More red fruited than #25, with redcurrant and cassis and some floral tones. Originally the tannins felt a bit jagged and angular on the palate, but with time they rounded out more and became plusher.

With some time oak started to emerge a bit more. It helped round out the wine a bit, but it’s still a bit dominant right now. Clearly a very well made wine, but needs a lot of time. Revisit in 5-6 years.
5-8 years...you are killing me Rodrigo...lol...Should I leave them in my will ? [swoon.gif] [swoon.gif] :-D :-D
For what its worth, I think 25 needs some time, but 40 is perfect right now. Really love 40.
... 0 p 3 r

Mitch P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1108 Post by Mitch P »

OG 151. 3 hr decant. Really impressed. As noted by others, nose is a bit subdued. Super silky. Tannins and acid compliment each other well. Wife called it “elegant.” Merlot and Malbec flavors definitely coming through. Drinking great now, but this could be a real knock out in a few years.
Mitch P @ m e r @ n t z

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1109 Post by Rodrigo B »

Finally got around to opening a bottle of N.77 OR Chard. Really good stuff from the get-go. Will post notes later on

EDIT: Full TN:
  • 2018 de Négoce Chardonnay OG N.77 - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (4/30/2021)
    Preface: I haven’t had much luck with the whites I purchased from de Negoce so far (granted, it’s a small sample size of 4 wines not including N.77).

Took it out of the fridge—it was almost certainly too cold—and poured myself a glass. Couldn’t smell much obviously, but once I took a sip I remarked, “damn, this is good.” Deep, flinty, mineral backbone yet light on its feet. This is a combination I quite like. My second thought was, “I should have probably grabbed another case." I then remembered Cam offered 2019 Chard from the same producer, which as I write this, is still available on their website, as is N.77, although at a higher price than originally released. Very tempted.

After the wine warmed up a bit it started showing its colours. Notes of green apple, asian pear, grapefruit zest, white flowers. A mild richness, I’m guessing most of it from battonage rather than the small amount of new oak.

Drink now through ?? (can I keep my hands off these bottles for long? I don’t imagine my remaining bottles will make it long term.)

ABV: dN website noted 13.1%, bottle notes 13.4%
    Closure: Vinc+
    Decant: N/A
    Stem: Grassl Liberte
    Assemblage: 100% barrel-fermented, 18% new French oak
    Producer believed to be Grand Moraine
B r @ g @

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1110 Post by Luca Giupponi »

Rodrigo B wrote: April 30th, 2021, 4:11 pm Finally got around to opening a bottle of N.77 OR Chard. Really good stuff from the get-go. Will post notes later on

EDIT: Full TN:
  • 2018 de Négoce Chardonnay OG N.77 - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (4/30/2021)
    Preface: I haven’t had much luck with the whites I purchased from de Negoce so far (granted, it’s a small sample size of 4 wines not including N.77).

Took it out of the fridge—it was almost certainly too cold—and poured myself a glass. Couldn’t smell much obviously, but once I took a sip I remarked, “damn, this is good.” Deep, flinty, mineral backbone yet light on its feet. This is a combination I quite like. My second thought was, “I should have probably grabbed another case." I then remembered Cam offered 2019 Chard from the same producer, which as I write this, is still available on their website, as is N.77, although at a higher price than originally released. Very tempted.
100% confirm your impressions. Everyone I poured this for had the same exact first reaction as you. I jumped on the 2019 vintage of this but haven’t tried it yet.

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1111 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

When I tried the N.77 I took one sip and then insta-bought the 2019 vintage. It was that good.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1112 Post by Rodrigo B »

Just bought N.128 now. N.77 is a very impressive Chard, couldn't resist not grabbing the 2019.
B r @ g @

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1113 Post by Luca Giupponi »

I’m surprised N.128 is still available. It never sold out? If I weren’t up to my neck in dN I’d think about getting a second case....

Paul Flynn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1114 Post by Paul Flynn »

#82 with a 2 hour decant. Wow! Great stuff!
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1115 Post by Rodrigo B »

I remember originally N.77 lingered on the website for a long time once released. I think it’s probably a combination of Cam buying a fair bit of it (on both N.77 and N.128); a preference by de Negoce buyers for CA Chards; and the OR wines being released after a lot of people were already up to their necks in de Negoce wines. Not complaining though since I was able to grab it at release price. I thought I was done buying de Negoce wines, but this one was too tempting. N.77 isn’t going to last long in my house, especially given the summer weather is coming up.
B r @ g @

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1116 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

I don’t care what anybody else does, but if there is any dN offer that is from OR and lower than 14% abv I’m going to buy it.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1117 Post by Rodrigo B »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: April 30th, 2021, 6:59 pm I don’t care what anybody else does, but if there is any dN offer that is from OR and lower than 14% abv I’m going to buy it.
That’s pretty much the only thing that can tempt me to buy more dN wine at this point.

Curious thing though: I see no dN OR wines on the TTB COLA registry, not even the released ones
B r @ g @

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1118 Post by Luca Giupponi »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: April 30th, 2021, 6:59 pm I don’t care what anybody else does, but if there is any dN offer that is from OR and lower than 14% abv I’m going to buy it.
I said that too last week and then I bought the CA pinots pileon

L Harris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1119 Post by L Harris »

Rodrigo B wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:07 pm
That’s pretty much the only thing that can tempt me to buy more dN wine at this point.

Curious thing though: I see no dN OR wines on the TTB COLA registry, not even the released ones
Took me a long while to figure it out but the OR wines are under de Négoce (with the accented é)
L u k e

L Harris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1120 Post by L Harris »

Took me a long while to figure it out but the OR wines are under de Négoce (with the accented é)
L u k e

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1121 Post by Rodrigo B »

L Harris wrote: May 1st, 2021, 11:14 am

Didn't know TTB took accents into account. Thanks for sharing. Very helpful. Will have a look at those later
B r @ g @

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1122 Post by Rodrigo B »

Just looked on COLA, even with the accented é, I couldn’t find the labels for any of the existing/delivered OR wines. Could only find two OR wines that way, N. 105 and N.140. The quest continues. If anyone has any other insights that’d be appreciated.
B r @ g @

Rohit B

#1123 Post by Rohit B »

• 2018 de Négoce Cabernet Sauvignon OG N.66 - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/26/2021)
    Based on day 2 experience, I would comfortably open this for family around Thanksgiving 2022. For personal consumption, now with a very long decant will suffice.

Very improved since my last bottle. Wait longer, but coming together nicely. Poured a few ounces and recorked. Following over a few days.

Day 1
    Cherry and a hint of licorice on the nose. Palate is medium body and feels light, but lots of red fruit with some good acid. Finish is predominantly fruit that are slightly medicinal/herbal, fine-grain but not drying tannins, and a faint hint of oak contribution. Feels slightly shocky/zingy.

Day 2

Recorked and left out. Notes are generally consistent, though the oak can be more appreciated on the finish. Overall, this is smoothed out and much less shocky, but still quite tannic. Poured into Zalto Burgundy glass and it opened up entirely. This will be as good as advertised, just needs more time.
Posted from CellarTracker
13 h @ n

Donald G

#1124 Post by Donald G »

NG 101 CABERNET FRANC this is the second bottle that I opened-one month apart. That one additional month in the bottle made a significant difference. It smoothed out. On day one it was still very much like a young wine...on day two it blossomed. It had developed luscious fruit and smoother tannins. With additional time the tannins will continue towards silkiness. Very surprised at how just a month can make that much difference.
G o l d s o b e l

Donald G

#1125 Post by Donald G »

Follow up on 101. I had never had a Walla Walla wine prior to DN OG. This turned out to be a noteworthy bottle. By day 3, it was smooth, silky tannins. The fruit and tannins were integrated. I am going to really enjoy this case. I have a number of cases of Napa Cabs that will stay in their resting place for quite a while, but while I wait,, this is one of the wines to sustain us.
G o l d s o b e l

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1126 Post by Michael Martin »

N.135 Carignane - better on day 2.

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1127 Post by Kevin Patrick »

OG 50 on Saturday night.

2.5 - 3 hour slo-ox.
Wine was in a great place. Very tasty, drawing rave reviews from the crowd. Bright jammy fruits, medium body with a nice finish.
No formal notes but well worth what I paid, and then some.

Rohit B

#1128 Post by Rohit B »

Kevin Patrick wrote: May 4th, 2021, 10:31 am OG 50 on Saturday night.

2.5 - 3 hour slo-ox.
Wine was in a great place. Very tasty, drawing rave reviews from the crowd. Bright jammy fruits, medium body with a nice finish.
No formal notes but well worth what I paid, and then some.
Regret not picking up a case during the original offer or during the sale this weekend. Hopefully it's around for the next one!
13 h @ n

Rohit B

#1129 Post by Rohit B »

• 2018 de Négoce Malbec OG N.142 - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Horse Heaven Hills (5/7/2021)
    To hell with waiting--for $13 I'll take my chances. Glad I did because this is drinking reasonably well now.

Decanted for an hour and followed for awhile.

Hard to tease out much of a nose, but the palate is very nice. Purple and blue fruits transition to lively earthiness supporting the structure. Tannins are slightly present, medium to low acid. Finish is short.

No rating for now, but I predict this being a ~CT90 wine. Marketed as a single vineyard $65 wine. At this stage in the wine's development, I'd be very disappointed if I paid $65 for this.

Be that as it may, this should do well with bottle time. Will try again around the holidays this year.
Posted from CellarTracker
13 h @ n

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1130 Post by Rodrigo B »

Checking in on some more of the dN Cabs:
  • 2018 de Négoce Cabernet Sauvignon OG N.42 - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (5/8/2021)
    One of the more approachable de Negoce Cabs I’ve tasted so far. Ripe dark red and black fruits and sweet oak notes were prominent straight away. Black cherries, blackberries, plums, cassis alongside warming spices of vanilla, cinnamon and clove. Well integrated with no real harsh edges. Big, plush, mouth coating tannins. A big, easy drinking Cab that seems approachable now, but with not much complexity. Will probably develop some with a few years, but this isn’t one I see myself cellaring long term. Going to drink these within the next 3-5 years and see how it develops.

ABV: 15.1%
    Decant: 6h
    Assemblage: 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Petite Verdot, 10% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Franc. Cameron Hughes says he guesses 65% to 75% new French oak
    Producer believed to be Boeschen
  • 2018 de Négoce Cabernet Sauvignon OG N.67 - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (5/8/2021)
    A bit green on the nose with not much fruit on the nose at first. Bell peppers and tomato leaf. On the palate again not much fruit, but instead dominated by the savoury elements. A bit harsh and green on entry. Then some herbal and floral notes of sage and roses. After 3h some red fruits started to emerge on the palate, took another hour for those to start to emerge on the nose. Raspberry, cherries, and underbrush. Overall, it seems a bit disjointed at the moment and needs time. I’d give this at least 3 years, preferably closer to 5 before checking in on it again.

ABV: 13.8%
    Decant: 6h
    Assemblage: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. 22 months in mix of French and Hungarian oak, 20% new, low-to medium.
    Producer believed to be La Honda Winery
B r @ g @

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

A few tasting notes

#1131 Post by Mike R »

Had some fully vaxxed family in town this weekend and opened a few DN's on Friday and Saturday. Opened 145 (red), 50 (red), 128 (white), 82 (red) and 177 (rose). Going to give some simplified notes on a 1/10 scale.

128 - The 128 was far and away the best wine of the night, wound up ordering another case of that it was so good. It was significantly better than 77, which is supposedly the 2018 vintage of the same wine. (9.5/10)

50 - We have probably had about 10 of these at this point. I've pretty consistently found this wine to be good, but not great. (8/10)

82 - I believe this wine comes from the same vineyard as 50. Meritage blend that showed really really well. Best red of the night. Beautiful blue and dark fruit with a lovely kiss of oak. Would happily buy this again. (9/10)

177 - It's probably still in shock so not really fair to rate this one. Very muted and lacking typical rose flavors. Not offensive by any stretch, just not much here. This was $9 a bottle, and its good for a $9 bottle of rose, probably significantly better than what can be had for $9 at the grocery store. Score here is relative to the price, not overall quality. (8.5/10).

145 - bottled in Jan 21. This wine was a big time miss for me. Aroma was extremely off putting. Reminds me a bit of that off putting chemical aroma of Caymus, combined with a hit of mulled cherries. Hoping this one just needs more time, but easily the worst DN wine I've had. (5/10).
... 0 p 3 r

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: A few tasting notes

#1132 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Mike R wrote: May 10th, 2021, 2:40 pm Had some fully vaxxed family in town this weekend and opened a few DN's on Friday and Saturday. Opened 145 (red), 50 (red), 128 (white), 82 (red) and 177 (rose). Going to give some simplified notes on a 1/10 scale.

128 - The 128 was far and away the best wine of the night, wound up ordering another case of that it was so good. It was significantly better than 77, which is supposedly the 2018 vintage of the same wine. (9.5/10)

50 - We have probably had about 10 of these at this point. I've pretty consistently found this wine to be good, but not great. (8/10)

82 - I believe this wine comes from the same vineyard as 50. Meritage blend that showed really really well. Best red of the night. Beautiful blue and dark fruit with a lovely kiss of oak. Would happily buy this again. (9/10)

177 - It's probably still in shock so not really fair to rate this one. Very muted and lacking typical rose flavors. Not offensive by any stretch, just not much here. This was $9 a bottle, and its good for a $9 bottle of rose, probably significantly better than what can be had for $9 at the grocery store. Score here is relative to the price, not overall quality. (8.5/10).

145 - bottled in Jan 21. This wine was a big time miss for me. Aroma was extremely off putting. Reminds me a bit of that off putting chemical aroma of Caymus, combined with a hit of mulled cherries. Hoping this one just needs more time, but easily the worst DN wine I've had. (5/10).
Mike - you are the current front-runner for the Infanticide Award [wink.gif] ...N.50 needs a lot more time my friend, its likely that wine will age longer than just about any other wine I've sold so far under this label...its an absolute black hole right now and you've killed 10 of them already!

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1133 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Cameron,
Planning on leaving at least case of the N.82 to my heirs. Not tried any yet, sold 4 to a friend who committed infanticide on 1 bottle, at least he drank the bottle one glass at a time over a week. I warned him not to try it for 4 years or so. His comments- thanks, that last glass was killer by the way.

Cheers, Tim

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1134 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Timothy B a l l a r d wrote: May 11th, 2021, 3:02 pm Cameron,
Planning on leaving at least case of the N.82 to my heirs. Not tried any yet, sold 4 to a friend who committed infanticide on 1 bottle, at least he drank the bottle one glass at a time over a week. I warned him not to try it for 4 years or so. His comments- thanks, that last glass was killer by the way.

Cheers, Tim
Hey Tim - glad to hear it! Also glad to have a good chunk of this wine in the warehouse...as soon as we get more racking into the warehouse we can add these other wines to the shop.

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1135 Post by Mike R »

Cameron Hughes wrote: May 11th, 2021, 8:17 am
Mike R wrote: May 10th, 2021, 2:40 pm Had some fully vaxxed family in town this weekend and opened a few DN's on Friday and Saturday. Opened 145 (red), 50 (red), 128 (white), 82 (red) and 177 (rose). Going to give some simplified notes on a 1/10 scale.

Mike - you are the current front-runner for the Infanticide Award [wink.gif] ...N.50 needs a lot more time my friend, its likely that wine will age longer than just about any other wine I've sold so far under this label...its an absolute black hole right now and you've killed 10 of them already!
Guilty as charged. To be fair, I bought 3 or 4 cases of #50 so I have plenty more! When it first came I popped one and it was so incredibly good that I bought another immediately, and then 1-2 more in the Black Friday sale. After that first bottle it has shut down quite a bit, but like I said above, it’s still “good” enough to pop 10 of them!

Separately, just to emphasize again how good 128 is, after having another bottle we bought ANOTHER case (in addition to the one we bought this weekend). If anyone on here likes Chard, highly recommend this one.
... 0 p 3 r

Kevin B

#1136 Post by Kevin B »

Getting away from the Cabs, opened another Zin.

OG N.108 2018 Fair Play District (El Dorado) Zinfandel

I think this is the 3rd I've had. Last time was a month ago, and this is getting much better. The alcohol harshness is much lessened, allowing the fruit to come forward. Getting much smoother, and I think it makes for a good daily drinker now.

Medium to dark ruby, with incredible legs. Getting a lot of berry on the palate, with a bit of the chocolate Cam mentions. Picking up some fruit and alcohol on the nose, and something else I can't place. Maybe the "dusty plum" Cam mentions. It's still allergy time in Georgia, and I'm suffering a bit, so I'm probably missing something.

I like the 109 Syrah which I think is from the same producer better, but this is getting very nice. Turning into a great wine for the price.
Beswick

R Roberts

#1137 Post by R Roberts »

• 2019 de Négoce Chardonnay OG N.128 - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (5/11/2021)
    Just a baby now with maybe 1.5 months since bottling? Already very enjoyable. White flowers on the nose. Surprisingly rich for the moderate ABV, in a good way. Melon. Medium acid, medium body. Mineral driven throughout. Delicious, and for the price point its exceptional.
I picked up another case. It will be so easy to go through that this summer alone and its already open for business.

Is the consensus that this is Gran Moraine?
R.ama

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#1138 Post by Rodrigo B »

R Roberts wrote: May 11th, 2021, 8:09 pm
  • 2019 de Négoce Chardonnay OG N.128 - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (5/11/2021)
    Just a baby now with maybe 1.5 months since bottling? Already very enjoyable. White flowers on the nose. Surprisingly rich for the moderate ABV, in a good way. Melon. Medium acid, medium body. Mineral driven throughout. Delicious, and for the price point its exceptional.
I picked up another case. It will be so easy to go through that this summer alone and its already open for business.

Is the consensus that this is Gran Moraine?
I’d say so. The guess for N.77 (same producer as N.128) as Grand Moraine was a pretty strong one. The original offer for N.77 used the phrase "moraine-coated rolling hills" to describe the site where the grapes were grown, before being quickly changed once we caught on. Plus Gran Moraine is owned by Jackson Family Estates, and I think a few of their properties have been sources to other de Negoce offers (Copain, WillaKenzie, maybe some others)
B r @ g @

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1139 Post by Cameron Hughes »

Mike R wrote: May 11th, 2021, 4:40 pm

Guilty as charged. To be fair, I bought 3 or 4 cases of #50 so I have plenty more! When it first came I popped one and it was so incredibly good that I bought another immediately, and then 1-2 more in the Black Friday sale. After that first bottle it has shut down quite a bit, but like I said above, it’s still “good” enough to pop 10 of them!

Separately, just to emphasize again how good 128 is, after having another bottle we bought ANOTHER case (in addition to the one we bought this weekend). If anyone on here likes Chard, highly recommend this one.
LOL - drink away amigo champagne.gif

rsmithjr

#1140 Post by rsmithjr »

Had a # 8 last nite, along with a 2000 CH. Cos-D Estournel. I liked the DN better..... old Bordeaux have to be the right one. St Estephes are just to gritty and tough for me.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

cpratt

#1141 Post by cpratt »

Cameron Hughes wrote: April 9th, 2021, 2:58 pmQuick note on the 115...I just tasted it with winemaker Mark and we agree its got a huge hole in the middle right now...we blended a like 1% pinot noir in there to flesh out the middle but the two of them are not playing well together just yet...shit. Kind of an earthy funk that's fighting with the prettiness. The good news is it should be resolved shortly...I would give this another month and I think you'll have completely different animal.
I gave it another month and whaddya know, it's a completely different animal now. Good call! It's totally OK now, nothing amazing, but worth what I paid, no question. (Apologies to my neighbors, who suffered through this wine back in March when it just wasn't ready yet.)
C h r i s

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1142 Post by Cameron Hughes »

cpratt wrote: May 13th, 2021, 10:23 am
Cameron Hughes wrote: April 9th, 2021, 2:58 pmQuick note on the 115...I just tasted it with winemaker Mark and we agree its got a huge hole in the middle right now...we blended a like 1% pinot noir in there to flesh out the middle but the two of them are not playing well together just yet...shit. Kind of an earthy funk that's fighting with the prettiness. The good news is it should be resolved shortly...I would give this another month and I think you'll have completely different animal.
I gave it another month and whaddya know, it's a completely different animal now. Good call! It's totally OK now, nothing amazing, but worth what I paid, no question. (Apologies to my neighbors, who suffered through this wine back in March when it just wasn't ready yet.)
woop woop! Very glad to hear that and thank you for reporting back!

Joseph O

#1143 Post by Joseph O »

Kevin B wrote: May 11th, 2021, 6:21 pm Getting away from the Cabs, opened another Zin.

OG N.108 2018 Fair Play District (El Dorado) Zinfandel

I think this is the 3rd I've had. Last time was a month ago, and this is getting much better. The alcohol harshness is much lessened, allowing the fruit to come forward. Getting much smoother, and I think it makes for a good daily drinker now.

Medium to dark ruby, with incredible legs. Getting a lot of berry on the palate, with a bit of the chocolate Cam mentions. Picking up some fruit and alcohol on the nose, and something else I can't place. Maybe the "dusty plum" Cam mentions. It's still allergy time in Georgia, and I'm suffering a bit, so I'm probably missing something.

I like the 109 Syrah which I think is from the same producer better, but this is getting very nice. Turning into a great wine for the price.
I agree on #108. We’re on our 3rd bottle as well and each has been better than the last.

#109 otoh, has been consistently awful for me (3 bottles down). Funny how two people can have such conflicting experiences. I have a cool, dark, northern corner of my basement and have stuck the remaining 109’s in there, not to be revisited for a long time.
Joseph O

Joseph O

#1144 Post by Joseph O »

I split off a mixed case for my brother-in-law. 3 each of 43, 50, 74, and 82. I put a big sticky note on the 50’s and 82’s saying “DO NOT drink before at least 2025!” And frankly even that might be premature.
Joseph O

Paul Flynn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1145 Post by Paul Flynn »

No.169, Dry Creek Petite Sirah was just delivered. I opened a bottle and we'll have it tonight with takeout kebab salads.
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1146 Post by Mike R »

Had an 80 tonight. Really nice wine which is drinking well now, but likely to get even better with age. Blue and black fruit, with oak notes on the nose. Very good wine and would be happy if I had paid $50+ for this.
... 0 p 3 r

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1147 Post by Mike R »

Joseph O wrote: May 14th, 2021, 1:31 pm

I split off a mixed case for my brother-in-law. 3 each of 43, 50, 74, and 82. I put a big sticky note on the 50’s and 82’s saying “DO NOT drink before at least 2025!” And frankly even that might be premature.
I admire your patience! I don’t have the restraint (or room) to keep these that long. I bought most of these as “cellar defenders” so if I wind up killing a few too early such is life
... 0 p 3 r

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1148 Post by MatthewT »

GOD BLESS DE NEGOCE
I'm a Turk

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1149 Post by Cameron Hughes »

MatthewT wrote: May 14th, 2021, 7:24 pm GOD BLESS DE NEGOCE
...feeling the love [thankyou.gif] [cheers.gif]

Mikko Tuomi

#1150 Post by Mikko Tuomi »

Finished a bottle of 28. Very nice Napa Cab. Drinks beautifully already but will definitely improve over time.

Return to “Wine Talk”