TN: 2017 Frog's Leap Zinfandel (and geeky Zinfandel history)

How did I not know that Larry Turley was a co founder of Frog’s Leap Winery in the early 80’s? I also had no idea that the grapes for the first Frog Leap Zinfandel came from Spottswoode.

Dark crimson in color 14.1% ABV. 82% Zinfandel, 17% Petite Sirah and 1% Carignane. Brooding nose of brambly black fruits, earth and pepper. Medium to full bodied with medium acidity. Mostly modern in style but the Petite Sirah adds an appealing rustic element. Blackberry, black cherry, plums and pepper on the palate. The finish is long and supple. Best over the next 2-4 years.

My rating: 90 points.

Full review on Zinfandel Chronicles - Zinfandel of the Month - 2017 Frog's Leap Zinfandel Napa Valley | Zinfandel Chronicles

Cheers, Tom
IMG_2713-scaled-e1601083916819.jpg

I just found that out a few months ago when Tegan gave me a tour of the estate and introduced me to Larry. For a few short weeks I knew something about California wine history that Tom Hill didn’t. Wow!

Tom Hill or Tom Lee. Close enough. [snort.gif]

Imposter!

[rofl.gif]

Uhhhhhhh, Brian… what makes you think I didn’t know this little factoid?? I have followed Frog’s Leap from the very start.
Their early Zins were what inspired LarryTurley to start his own wnry specializing in Zin.
“Ribbit”
“Time’s fun when you’re having flies”.
Tom

[worship.gif] You da man Tom, not that imposter! [wink.gif]

Normally not a big Zin guy but did like this one:

2017 Frog’s Leap Zinfandel - USA, California, Napa Valley (12/14/2019)
Sunfish Cellars Napa Valley Extravaganza (Sunfish Cellars/I Nonni Minneapolis, MN): This is a very balanced effort with earth, minerals, chocolate, mild oak and floral notes. Not a big fruit bomb and very enjoyable. (91 points)
Posted from CellarTracker

Frog’s Leap Zinfandel year in and year out, one of the best damn wines made in California… and it’s only getting better now that they’re phasing out the oak and replacing with concrete cubes. The wine just keeps getting fresher. Ripeness has ticked up a notch or too the past 3 vintages, let’s hope that is a factor of the climate these past 3 releases and not a stylistic change. I buy about a case of this each year directly form the winery, and a mixed 6-pack of different library Zinfandel wines from the mid 1990’s and early 2000’s. These wines age ridiculously good.

Nice Tom! Did not know the Larry Turley fact, and also don’t think I’ve tried a Frog’s Leap zin before (plenty of the cabs). I’ll have to snag one.

Thanks again for the note!

Yup. John & Larry started it way back in the day, and I think you can see some of the irreverence and humor of both to this day in their approach to the sales side (in the vineyard and production side they’re pretty serious about dry farming and organics). I look at Frog’s Leap as a reference point for CA and am constantly taking cues from them in my day to day work.