TN: 2010 Il Poggione Brunello

2010 Il Poggione Brunello

A very fine wine. Elegant, silky texture and with classic Brunello flavors. But the best is the high acidity of the cool-climate vintage 2010, which gives grip, freshness and character to the wine. If you have a case or more, you could open a bottle now, best in 5-10 years. And certainly also good in 10-15 years. Have a look to the cork, like fresh bottled.

8D22526A-CD38-4FD6-926D-F207E0B676A0.jpeg
81A1B2BC-256C-4F37-9860-B5482682DDF8.jpeg
Salute,
Martin

Brunello di Montalcino Il Poggione Vigna Paganelli Riserva 2010 : 16/20 (good wine - september 2018)
Elégant, ténu, acidulé, avec de la cerise, du tannin (mais sans trop). Le sangiovese colle bien, avec peu de puissance toutefois.

Wait until you try the riserva, in 5-10 years.

I had a bottle of the 2012 a few months ago, and it was really in a good spot. It doesn’t have as much acidity as you are describing, but it did have a complex and surprisingly floral nose, good body, plenty of darker red fruit, tobacco, a little mushroom/forest floor, and enough tannins to provide balance and med/long finish.

Would be a good candidate to drink now while you wait on those cooler vintages.

Sounds much nicer than the relatively fat tasting 2009.

I had an excellent Brunello Il Poggione 2012 in september 2019 (it was also excellent in october 2017 in a huge Montalcino horizonale).

Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino 2012 : 17/20 - september 2019 (tasted blind)
Piège récurrent quand il s’agit de différencier nebbiolo et sangiovese. Je vois Barolo pour une robe aux reflets orangés, dotée de tannins poudreux (et je suis plus fraise que guigne, sans de plus trouver l’acidité souvent tranchante du sangiovese). Reste un excellent vin de garde.

P.S. even on Day 3 a great joy to drink. No decline!

Last saturday, yet another very good Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino Riserva 1988 (6th tasting if I remember well).

Thanks for sharing, Martin. Your note excites me for the 6 pack I have waiting. Probably going to wait at least 5 more years to open my first.