TN: new notes September

Gilbert & Christine Felettig, Chambolle Musigny, ‘Clos le Village’, 2011
Yeah it’s a twenty-eleven but, so what? It tastes good, and is a nice light to mid-weight Burgundy that mines the heavy savory flavors of the year but does so with grace. Red fruited, aspirin, and a bit of pan bacon grease on the end. B+

Chateau Saint Anne, Bandol, 2013
Some stinky sweatsocks on the nose along with darkish fruits. This really needs a lamb stew instead of drinking alone without food. Has a nice rusticity of the mourvedre grape along with a dash of syrah-like riper fruit and some quinine. I can see this developing leather with age. Good stuff, too bad it’s so hard to find. A-

Marcel Lapierre, Morgon, ‘Cuvee MMIX’, 2009
A hint to all the newbies: if you see a “cuvee” on a Bojo, Run like hell! This is big, rich, and ripe, and at 14.5% alcohol, you feel the heat. Overly extracted with a bitter sacharine note. Feels awkward and overwrought. Unrated, but could still be a B. Ended up cooking with most of it.

Ganevat, Cotes du Jura, Chardonnay, ‘Les Chalasses Vieilles Vignes’, 2009
Onto a (much) better 2009. A sweet caramel butter note with walnuts and citrus blossoms on the end. This is taking on aged chardonnay flavors, and - while still good - was perhaps better 2-4 years ago? 13.5% A-/B+

Clos Cibonne, Côtes de Provence, Tibouren, ‘cuvèe Speciale des Vignettes’, 2014
Ahhh…aged rosé…what’s not to like? Intriguing color, a cross between citrine and rose quartz, but definitely on the yellower side of that spectrum. Whatever. Has the typical herbal aromas and a slightly oxidized strawberry, tarragon. Such a unique and special rosé. 13% A-/B+

Brovia, Barolo, 2008
Black cherry, blackberry, and orange rind make their appearance on the nose and palate, it’s youthful tasting but oh-so-good right now. I’d wager these will still be going strong in 10-15 years, but nothing wrong with opening this classy juice now. Even better with a little air and at a slightly cooler temperature (think this was opened on a 90-degree day). 14% A-

Edmunds St. John, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley, ‘Rocks and Gravel’, 2013
13.1% A rose petal nose. Pretty, like drinking candied watermelon juice with cucumber slices tossed in. Although thinnish in feel, this is really medium-bodied in the glass. Tastes somewhat sweet and confected with a slight bit of bubblegum. Still a little grip from the tannins on the end. [50% grenache/25% mourvedre/25% syrah] A-/B+

J.J. Prum, Graacher Himmelreich, Riesling, Auslese, 1990
Medium burnished gold color. Dried apricot and only the slightest hint of petrol on the nose. Tastes drier than what we now think of as auslese, this is Very fresh for a 30-year old wine. Not over the hill at all. The dried apricot is there in the mouth along with amchur powder. Although not the most complex in dimension, texturally, this is brilliant. There is enough acidity to carry through, despite this being a warm year at the time. 7.5% A-/A

Ismael Gozalo [MicroBio] Vino de la Tierra de Castillia y León, ‘Sietejuntos’, 2014
Bright plum aromas out of the glass. Bright red/black plums, mashed raspberries (think of making jam before the sugar is added), nice little saline bite. Medium weight, medium acidity, perhaps similar in style to a Texier syrah (which this is 100%). A wine of good balance and restraint and fun to drink. The tannin seems to have evaporated. 13.5% A-

I have that Lapierre…in magnum!

Oh dear…

(I have another bottle myself that I am not looking forward to.)

I have a little more tolerance for richer wines than you, so perhaps I can get through it with friends whenever we can again see friends.

Just looked and I have 2 bottles of this. Not a newbie…and should’ve run like hell. Didn’t like any of the 3 bottles of the 2009 regular cuvee (avec soufre)…that many found so appealing. I’ll try one…with refrigeration…and possibly gift the other. “Traditional” and less ripe Cru Beaujolais. Yes please.

RT

Just popped a MMIX. The fruit is quite sweet. It strikes me as a toned down very red fruited Aussie Cab with some RS. Planning to pair it with steak tonight. The ripeness is noticeable and there’s some heat…but manageable with temp control. Not my style, although I don’t see it as awkward or overwrought…unless you compare it to a “traditional” Bojo, in which case it’s completely over the top. If there was any discernible oak it’d be screaming new world.

RT

Richard, I was comparing it to the 2009 regular Morgon which I found to be of the vintage but not bad (although earlier bottles were better than later ones). Simply didn’t find Beaujolais character in the MMIX. I was being a little facetious with the cuvee thing.