Clerc Milon ? ...

…has the winemaking improved over the years? Also, since when (what yr.)? Would you consider it a decent value play in Bordeaux?

I’ve had the 1995 and 2000 and both were excellent wines with the slight edge to the 2000. Both were good value plays, and good wines in general. So I don’t think it’s a recent phenomenon…

By virtue of its elder sibling it’s always going to be somewhat in a shadow, but there were years, such as (the especially good) 1990, where it has gone head to head with Mouton. And Mouton’s new winemaker was previously in charge of Clerc Milon, it’s worth noting.

There have been some good ones! Heck, it’s stablemate d’armhailac is an impressive drink with a few years of age.

I am a big fan of Clerc Milon. It is a beautiful, elegant, refined Pauillac. You can find out everything you wanted to know and more about Clerc here if you like Learn about Chateau Clerc Milon Pauillac, Complete Guide

1999 d’Armailhac is so much better than it has any right to be!

I don’t know Clerc Milon well but agree on 1995. I bought it on release and it has aged well. The 1983 is also excellent.

+1. Personally I’ve always preferred D’Armailhac. Excellent value.

I don’t know about the value part, but the 2000, which I bought at release, is one good Clerc Milon.

I LOVED that 90; haven’t tasted one in a while though.

Yup, 100% agree. Big fan of d’Armailhac as well. I should buy more Clerc Milon, but have lots of d’Armailhac across a fair number of vintages. Somehow I ended up with a case of 2012 at clearance of $20 per. A crazy price.

Back in the day, James Suckling was yuge on the 1995 CM, with 95pts @ $25 in the 1998 Top 100.

“Like smelling a delicious raspberry sauce with hints of coffee and smoke, and the wine that follows is wonderfully structured, muscular and well toned. Full-bodied, with sleek and racy tannins and a long, characterful aftertaste. One of the top buys of the vintage. Best after 2001. 15,000 cases made. —JS”

All Lists of Top 100 Wines | Wine Spectator's Top 100

That note has no resemblance to the wine I tasted. I liked my bottle better.

Not that I’ve blind tasted them side by side, but generally I’ve liked d’Armailhac over Clerc Milon too.

Maybe it’s just the labels.

I remember a generation ago these were considered oakier Pauillacs but it all seems to be the style now. With time it gets soaked up though.

(Sigh) How quickly they forget. That was me old buddy. I hooked you up with that one.

Both wines are very good and in your wheelhouse. Though by 2009/2010, Clerc Milon became better than d’Armailhac . Clerc added new gravity cellars a few years ago. Today they offer more finesse and purity, plus they added a second wine.

Knowing you read my site on a daily basis [wink.gif] you were already aware of that.

[wow.gif] [swoon.gif]

I sincerely hope you ended up with a case because there was only one case available. That’s insane.

Weird thing … I clicked on Jeff’s link and was brought to wine.com. I hit “back” on my browser, and tried again, this time holding down the CTL button while I clicked so the link opened in a new tab, and was brought to the correct page. Weird.

That happened to me yesterday on my iPhone-a few times actually. I refreshed the page and the links worked correctly after.

Clerc Milon-I had picked up a 2015 at Total Wine many months ago and finally got around to trying it about a week ago-I was very impressed. Of course the 2015 is long sold out now, but I’ll keep an eye out for it in the future.

Thank you all for the response…I recently purchased a case each of the 2005 and 2010 vintage Clerc Milon, I suspect I shouldn’t be touching these for another five or so years in the case of the 2005?