Westgarth - anyone buy prearrivals from them...

…they show up a lot on wine-searcher (basically on everything burgundy with pre arrival). Making sure they’re reliable and not the second coming of Premier Cru. Thanks.

1 Like

Bumping this thread, anyone have experiences to share working with Westgarth?

1 Like

they only sell in 6 packs… so you should get an idea of if you want to do biz with them

1 Like

Thanks Charlie, I’ve seen the 6/12 requirements thought there are a couple things that are still interesting to me etc. I’ve searched for info on here and seen a couple threads, but none seem to have info about actually working with them etc.

1 Like

I would not buy from them. Looks like a distributor book pull and there’s small chance they’ll be able to fill your order for 6 pack/12packs for sought after wines

4 Likes

I was eyeing some stuff from them as well, but was put off my 6/12 requirements and most of them being pre-arrivals.

1 Like

I’m avoiding them by principle. Every wine they list seems to be significantly more expensive than anything else available (if it’s available somewhere else), sometimes by a factor of 2-3 or more. They seem to cater to a “must have it, no matter what” crowd and seem to source the wines from a distributor after the order is placed as Charlie alluded to.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I generally avoid that style of vendor, though these folks are reputedly buying in Europe, then bringing over.

There’s a couple things they have fine prices on, and that I’d like to purchase in 6/12 quantity. Would rather go with someone with the wine in hand, but I’m struggling to find any vendor that has more than 1-3 bottles, which makes shipping expensive etc. I hear your point though, if normal retailers can’t get more than a couple bottles- why should Westgarth have multiple vintages in multiple sizes listed… good call there.

[winner.gif] [winner.gif] [winner.gif]

Laguna Cellars we have the same questions about. Anyone know anything about them???

1 Like

Hello guys

Here to answer any questions you might have. How can I help?

We are a federal importer and as such not licensed to have a physical store although we are licensed to sell to the general public via the internet. To answer your questions we source all our wines in Europe and import directly. I have been in the wine industry in Europe since early 2000’s so yes we access to stock other US merchant might no.

We have now been in business in for 10 years, We try to be as competitive as we can but that’s not always possible. We are best priced for the higher end wines, so on the under $100 bottle range we are often not the most affordable option. 3x above market price is more than a bit of stretch…

Give us a call we would welcome a conversation with you.

Westgarth can you explain why you price gouge the market on Fine & Rare wine? Before wines even enter U.S. Market, you’re the first to list them on Wine-Searcher at a completely unreasonable price. This then gives permission to the other online retailers to charge more as they’re getting away with it because Westgarth is absolutely unreasonable. I am an importer as well, and you sell wines that I import for sometimes 25x the price I sell them for.

It is a shame to watch the world of wine-lovers get screwed because people like you want to dictate the market. Seems unfair, though I am fortunate I don’t have to be the one to buy wine from you.

3 Likes

[popcorn.gif]

Wow! Really ? He’s running a business and he’s entitled to sell at any price he sees fit. He doesn’t dictate anything. If folks do not like the price, do not buy it. If you have the same wine for sale, charge less and earn their business.

He’s a relatively small operation. I think he acts as a broker and does not own stock. Though he can set the record straight if that’s wrong. I doubt any other retailer sets their market on what he charges.

It’s a great resource for some really hard-to-find wines. It is quite obviously the European brokerage lists, and you might be able to do better by buying through a retailer in Europe and bringing it over yourself, but if they’ve got it and you want it, then it is there for the taking and they deliver.
A

He just runs a margin off of a Liv-ex feed.
Liv-ex is expensive for rare wines that people chase.