#GlassFire

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11615
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: #GlassFire

#401 Post by Merrill Lindquist » October 2nd, 2020, 9:57 am

I have a neighbor who I have found out has stayed. He has assured me as of last night my property was untouched. Made it through another day! Trying to stay occupied but that can be tough when you are not home and feeling so anxious. I feel so bad for those who have already lost their vineyards, homes, and wineries, and almost feel guilty that mine is still ok. Weird times.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

JBrochu
Posts: 73
Joined: September 17th, 2020, 7:34 am

Re: #GlassFire

#402 Post by JBrochu » October 2nd, 2020, 10:05 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 9:57 am
I have a neighbor who I have found out has stayed. He has assured me as of last night my property was untouched. Made it through another day! Trying to stay occupied but that can be tough when you are not home and feeling so anxious. I feel so bad for those who have already lost their vineyards, homes, and wineries, and almost feel guilty that mine is still ok. Weird times.
That's great news, and it's certainly understandable to have mixed emotions in such a stressful and difficult time for you and your community.
J@hn

User avatar
Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3499
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am

Re: #GlassFire

#403 Post by Josh Grossman » October 2nd, 2020, 10:58 am

Think today is going to be rough. Dana, Black Sears, Cimarossa, Lamborn, and Outpost are all right on the edge of the woods with fires heading towards them.

User avatar
lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1684
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Re: #GlassFire

#404 Post by lleichtman » October 2nd, 2020, 11:00 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 9:57 am
I have a neighbor who I have found out has stayed. He has assured me as of last night my property was untouched. Made it through another day! Trying to stay occupied but that can be tough when you are not home and feeling so anxious. I feel so bad for those who have already lost their vineyards, homes, and wineries, and almost feel guilty that mine is still ok. Weird times.
At least some good news Merrill.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11615
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: #GlassFire

#405 Post by Merrill Lindquist » October 2nd, 2020, 11:04 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 10:58 am
Think today is going to be rough. Dana, Black Sears, Cimarossa, Lamborn, and Outpost are all right on the edge of the woods with fires heading towards them.
I thought Dana was over behind Whitehall Lane?
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8442
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: #GlassFire

#406 Post by larry schaffer » October 2nd, 2020, 11:11 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 10:58 am
Think today is going to be rough. Dana, Black Sears, Cimarossa, Lamborn, and Outpost are all right on the edge of the woods with fires heading towards them.
Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you up there . . .

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Pete James
Posts: 1
Joined: May 5th, 2019, 10:08 am

Re: #GlassFire

#407 Post by Pete James » October 2nd, 2020, 12:49 pm

T. Williams wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 5:47 am
Stay safe everyone who is near the areas of these fires. This is unbelievable.

I was having a case of the Monday's and jumped on here to surf while having some coffee and avoiding work. This REALLY puts my "bad day" in perspective.

Words can't describe how devastating this is. My avatar photo was taken at Duckhorn, I'd imagine the same shot looks like the apocalypse right now.
Duckhorn is okay- smoky and the surrounding areas are burnt, but no damage to the site

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 755
Joined: November 16th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#408 Post by Jim F » October 2nd, 2020, 2:50 pm

I have had a couple emails with Elton Stone at Robert Craig.As of this morning, he indicated that heroic efforts by the firefighters save their HM facilities. Appears to be some vineyard damage, do not know how much. And time has passed, so hope that nothing more bad occurs up there.
Jim Freeman

User avatar
Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2018
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 4:35 am
Location: Napa, 74-41

Re: #GlassFire

#409 Post by Karen Troisi » October 2nd, 2020, 2:57 pm

Pete James wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 12:49 pm
T. Williams wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 5:47 am
Stay safe everyone who is near the areas of these fires. This is unbelievable.

I was having a case of the Monday's and jumped on here to surf while having some coffee and avoiding work. This REALLY puts my "bad day" in perspective.

Words can't describe how devastating this is. My avatar photo was taken at Duckhorn, I'd imagine the same shot looks like the apocalypse right now.
Duckhorn is okay- smoky and the surrounding areas are burnt, but no damage to the site
Heard Duckhorn had hired private fire fighters - many of the larger wineries (or their insurance companies) do. If we all had those resources we would do the same.
Jean Edwards Cellars
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 4698
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

Re: #GlassFire

#410 Post by Nola Palomar » October 2nd, 2020, 4:13 pm

Karen Troisi wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 2:57 pm
Pete James wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 12:49 pm
T. Williams wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 5:47 am
Stay safe everyone who is near the areas of these fires. This is unbelievable.

I was having a case of the Monday's and jumped on here to surf while having some coffee and avoiding work. This REALLY puts my "bad day" in perspective.

Words can't describe how devastating this is. My avatar photo was taken at Duckhorn, I'd imagine the same shot looks like the apocalypse right now.
Duckhorn is okay- smoky and the surrounding areas are burnt, but no damage to the site
Heard Duckhorn had hired private fire fighters - many of the larger wineries (or their insurance companies) do. If we all had those resources we would do the same.
Karen this is such a stressful and heart wrenching time. I’m hoping for great news!!
Last edited by Nola Palomar on October 2nd, 2020, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37904
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: #GlassFire

#411 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 2nd, 2020, 4:33 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 9:57 am
I have a neighbor who I have found out has stayed. He has assured me as of last night my property was untouched. Made it through another day! Trying to stay occupied but that can be tough when you are not home and feeling so anxious. I feel so bad for those who have already lost their vineyards, homes, and wineries, and almost feel guilty that mine is still ok. Weird times.
Keeping all my fingers crossed for you Merrill, as well as everyone affected (directly and indirectly) by these crazy fires.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Albert_H
Posts: 151
Joined: October 19th, 2016, 8:51 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#412 Post by Albert_H » October 2nd, 2020, 4:51 pm

I've been following springmountaincaseco on Instagram because I though he made some amazing looking wooden cases. He just posted on his IG today that he lost his house and shop in the fire which insurance won't cover any of. Here is a link to a gofundme one of their friends set up incase anybody wants to donate: https://gf.me/u/y3ghsu
Han

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 6692
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Re: #GlassFire

#413 Post by Jim Anderson » October 2nd, 2020, 8:12 pm

Karen Troisi wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 2:57 pm
Pete James wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 12:49 pm
T. Williams wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 5:47 am
Stay safe everyone who is near the areas of these fires. This is unbelievable.

I was having a case of the Monday's and jumped on here to surf while having some coffee and avoiding work. This REALLY puts my "bad day" in perspective.

Words can't describe how devastating this is. My avatar photo was taken at Duckhorn, I'd imagine the same shot looks like the apocalypse right now.
Duckhorn is okay- smoky and the surrounding areas are burnt, but no damage to the site
Heard Duckhorn had hired private fire fighters - many of the larger wineries (or their insurance companies) do. If we all had those resources we would do the same.
Certainly with Oregon now being in the same, if less terrifying from a total population stand point (not minimizing the people who lost their lives, homes, businesses and stuff up here at all), boat my priority for the “off season” is retaining more water than we currently do on the property and installing some sort of “last line of defense” shit at the winery. The thing that really gets me is the seemingly endless amount of fire fighters CA seems to have. That is not the case up here. I’ve had my butt bailed out by the local fire department so I have nothing but respect but if fires are racing toward multiple winery structures up here there simply is not the personnel power that there seems to be down there. For obvious reasons. Times have changed. Along with the climate. Time to get ready as we possibly can to protect ourselves when there is no one else. Wake up call, big time.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

User avatar
JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1216
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: #GlassFire

#414 Post by JDavisRoby » October 2nd, 2020, 8:14 pm

Jim’s post reminds me of a question I’ve had. How is Cal Fire funded and managed? Not a political question. Just curious how what appears to be a state wide fire organization is organized.
Joshu@

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20831
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: #GlassFire

#415 Post by Brian Tuite » October 2nd, 2020, 8:26 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 8:14 pm
Jim’s post reminds me of a question I’ve had. How is Cal Fire funded and managed? Not a political question. Just curious how what appears to be a state wide fire organization is organized.
It’s a State agency funded mainly by the California Forest Resource Improvement Fund which is legislated money from State Treasury. Some of the money comes from the revenue created from the sale of timber and other forest resources in the State. Any excess goes to the general fund and must be budgeted back each year. The Federal Government gives grants and also disaster money.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15953
Joined: April 7th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

Re: #GlassFire

#416 Post by brigcampbell » October 2nd, 2020, 8:56 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 8:26 pm
JDavisRoby wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 8:14 pm
Jim’s post reminds me of a question I’ve had. How is Cal Fire funded and managed? Not a political question. Just curious how what appears to be a state wide fire organization is organized.
It’s a State agency funded mainly by the California Forest Resource Improvement Fund which is legislated money from State Treasury. Some of the money comes from the revenue created from the sale of timber and other forest resources in the State. Any excess goes to the general fund and must be budgeted back each year. The Federal Government gives grants and also disaster money.
It was the forestry and a couple of other orgs combined awhile back.

There have enormous resources under the direct control of calfire and they pull from local city and county departments. My neighbor's son is a San Clemente fire captain but "disappears" for 2 months at a crack during the year to fight fires throughout the state.

There's also a sharing agreement between western states so you'll get hotshots from Oregon parachuting behind fire lines all over and other state, county, and city resources deployed where needed.

For the east coasters it's similar to the shared response to restoring power after a hurricane. Teams from the northern state,s will deploy down the eastern seaboard to restore power.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2771
Joined: September 17th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#417 Post by Nate Simon » October 2nd, 2020, 10:41 pm


User avatar
Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1881
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 6:30 pm
Location: Ventura, CA

Re: #GlassFire

#418 Post by Mike Stoneking » October 2nd, 2020, 11:15 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 3:23 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 11:29 am
Here's the link to help out Emily Richer and Virage vineyards - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=173649
Order in! Happy to contribute.
SHIT!! I'm beyond sad to come back to this thread and see this. My heart hurts for Emily and everyone affected. [cry.gif]
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20831
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: #GlassFire

#419 Post by Brian Tuite » October 3rd, 2020, 6:29 am

There have to be safer ways to keep wildlife away from your fruit than electric fences.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3439
Joined: April 12th, 2010, 9:46 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#420 Post by T Welch » October 3rd, 2020, 2:24 pm

Maybe I missed it upthread - any current news regarding Black Sears, Robert Craig and Outpost? Today's Calfire map paints a bleak picture for Black Sears especially.
T*R*U*E*T*T

J. Rock
Posts: 912
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: #GlassFire

#421 Post by J. Rock » October 3rd, 2020, 3:14 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 6:29 am
There have to be safer ways to keep wildlife away from your fruit than electric fences.
Dogs. Cuddlier than electric fences too.
J o r d a n

User avatar
Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2018
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 4:35 am
Location: Napa, 74-41

Re: #GlassFire

#422 Post by Karen Troisi » October 3rd, 2020, 3:30 pm

Nola Palomar wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 4:13 pm
Karen Troisi wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 2:57 pm
Pete James wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 12:49 pm


Duckhorn is okay- smoky and the surrounding areas are burnt, but no damage to the site
Heard Duckhorn had hired private fire fighters - many of the larger wineries (or their insurance companies) do. If we all had those resources we would do the same.
Karen this is such a stressful and heart wrenching time. I’m hoping for great news!!
Thank you Nola - it’s been a really stressful week. i do not want to jinx anything but the winery and offsite barrel storage seem to be safe as the fires have stayed north of St. Helena for the most part. On top of the fire situation we had to make some painful (but right) decisions this week on 2020 fruit. More on that another day.
Jean Edwards Cellars
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20831
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: #GlassFire

#423 Post by Brian Tuite » October 3rd, 2020, 3:37 pm

T Welch wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 2:24 pm
Maybe I missed it upthread - any current news regarding Black Sears, Robert Craig and Outpost? Today's Calfire map paints a bleak picture for Black Sears especially.
I got this text from Anne Fogerty:

Black Sears pretty torched, saved the buildings. Hit the Robert Craig side of Outpost, but everything and most of the woods ok. Lots of CalFire running around/stationed 24/7. With John G currently, he’s feeling good.
Last edited by Brian Tuite on October 3rd, 2020, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20831
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: #GlassFire

#424 Post by Brian Tuite » October 3rd, 2020, 3:44 pm

I thought they lifted the Red Flag Warning.

It’s 102° out here and a steady wind blowing. Trees are dropping leaves like raindrops and the Wife is going into stress mode again. Will this fu¢king stop already? See rain in the forecast for next Saturday. Fingers heavily crossed.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21485
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: #GlassFire

#425 Post by Alan Rath » October 3rd, 2020, 3:54 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 3:44 pm
I thought they lifted the Red Flag Warning.

It’s 102° out here and a steady wind blowing. Trees are dropping leaves like raindrops and the Wife is going into stress mode again. Will this fu¢king stop already? See rain in the forecast for next Saturday. Fingers heavily crossed.
Overnight, buddy. It’s getting better, hang in there.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
JohnP
Posts: 480
Joined: August 14th, 2017, 10:35 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#426 Post by JohnP » October 3rd, 2020, 4:27 pm

Manager saves Spring Mountain Vineyard while his own home burned https://www.newsnationnow.com/video/man ... ed6L9B-GXw
John Pollard

M. Taylor
Posts: 127
Joined: September 6th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#427 Post by M. Taylor » October 3rd, 2020, 5:00 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 6:29 am
There have to be safer ways to keep wildlife away from your fruit than electric fences.
Agree, though another report I read said they are focusing on a couple of buildings on the property as the potential place where it started, so who knows
M a r k

User avatar
G. D y e r
Posts: 2278
Joined: December 26th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#428 Post by G. D y e r » October 3rd, 2020, 5:04 pm

Just a general observation, also living in fire country in Santa Barbara County. There has been wildfire after wildfire over the last decade, culminating in the Thomas Fire in 2017.

Do you know what ultimately stopped the growth of that behemoth to the north and west? It ran into the burn scars of other recent fires (Tea, Jesusita, Zaca). If you look at a burn scar map stretching from Gaviota to Ventura, basically the whole front country has burned in the last decade or so.

The unfortunate reality it seems with the hotter, dryer, blustery climate is that lack of dense fuel is ultimately what limits these wildfires, though targeted fire fights make the difference in saving properties one-by-one.

Looking at the fire maps of Sonoma and Napa, the last several years of blazes have created interlinking scars between Glass, LNU, Tubbs, Nuns, Patrick and Atlas Fires. I can't find a good image to embed here, so the link below will have to do. The upshot is the fuel bed surrounding Napa seems to have been greatly depleted, with the Glass Fire filling in one of the biggest contiguous runs of unburned mountain terrain remaining.

The devastation is staggering, but it will be a ray of positivity moving into the next decade or two that the looming threat of the next mega-fire is substantially mitigated by this latest hellish burst of fuel consumption.

https://www.kron4.com/wildfires/glass-f ... years-ago/
Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16283
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: #GlassFire

#429 Post by Craig G » October 3rd, 2020, 6:25 pm

The purple air map for Napa and Sonoma looks really good right now. Is that real?
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 22231
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Location: Alta California

Re: #GlassFire

#430 Post by M. Dildine » October 3rd, 2020, 7:04 pm

G. D y e r wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 5:04 pm
Just a general observation, also living in fire country in Santa Barbara County. There has been wildfire after wildfire over the last decade, culminating in the Thomas Fire in 2017.

Do you know what ultimately stopped the growth of that behemoth to the north and west? It ran into the burn scars of other recent fires (Tea, Jesusita, Zaca). If you look at a burn scar map stretching from Gaviota to Ventura, basically the whole front country has burned in the last decade or so.

The unfortunate reality it seems with the hotter, dryer, blustery climate is that lack of dense fuel is ultimately what limits these wildfires, though targeted fire fights make the difference in saving properties one-by-one.

Looking at the fire maps of Sonoma and Napa, the last several years of blazes have created interlinking scars between Glass, LNU, Tubbs, Nuns, Patrick and Atlas Fires. I can't find a good image to embed here, so the link below will have to do. The upshot is the fuel bed surrounding Napa seems to have been greatly depleted, with the Glass Fire filling in one of the biggest contiguous runs of unburned mountain terrain remaining.

The devastation is staggering, but it will be a ray of positivity moving into the next decade or two that the looming threat of the next mega-fire is substantially mitigated by this latest hellish burst of fuel consumption.

https://www.kron4.com/wildfires/glass-f ... years-ago/
Very true. The 2016 Big Sur Soberanes fire burned north within a few miles of our house. As horrific as that fire was (130,000+ acres burned), it eliminated dense coastal wilderness fuel and, as a result, our area is (at least temporarily) safer. Fires are mostly a periodic natural phenomenon - which is a situation that can no longer be tolerated with human habitation of these rugged coastal areas.
Cheers,

Mike

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13823
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: #GlassFire

#431 Post by J a y H a c k » October 3rd, 2020, 7:55 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 3:37 pm
. . .

I got this text from Anne Fogerty:

Black Sears pretty torched, saved the buildings. Hit the Robert Craig side of Outpost, but everything and most of the woods ok. Lots of CalFire running around/stationed 24/7. With John G currently, he’s feeling good.
Ugh. Black Sears is my wife's favorite. We were there about 9 years ago. Their caves store a lot of high end TRB stuff, but that is probably OK. I have some nice photos of the vineyards that I will find and post. I sent Chris Jambois an email yesterday but I am sure he has better things to do that respond.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
Marc Hauser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 649
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Location: Napa

Re: #GlassFire

#432 Post by Marc Hauser » October 3rd, 2020, 9:06 pm

Craig G wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 6:25 pm
The purple air map for Napa and Sonoma looks really good right now. Is that real?
Yes. I’m in the city of Napa and this evening it was much clearer, with AQI in the 80s. Still not good, but much better.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman cannabis lawyer and erstwhile wine lawyer)

User avatar
Paul Gordon
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 662
Joined: July 23rd, 2009, 10:50 pm
Location: Yorkville Highlands

Re: #GlassFire

#433 Post by Paul Gordon » October 3rd, 2020, 11:18 pm

Craig G wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 6:25 pm
The purple air map for Napa and Sonoma looks really good right now. Is that real?
Sonoma clear this afternoon. Some smoke in Oakland/East Bay hills.

Paul
Paul Gordon
Halcon Vineyards

User avatar
cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5646
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Location: Cranford NJ

Re: #GlassFire

#434 Post by cjsavino » October 4th, 2020, 6:19 am

Chris
Image

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 38877
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#435 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 4th, 2020, 6:45 am

cjsavino wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 6:19 am
Flying one of those giants low and slow in a congested, smoky airspace takes some balls. Respect to those crews
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1932
Joined: January 24th, 2014, 11:07 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#436 Post by R. Frankel » October 4th, 2020, 7:57 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 6:45 am

Flying one of those giants low and slow in a congested, smoky airspace takes some balls. Respect to those crews
Funny, watching that video I had exactly the same thought. Based on reading the CA Fire reports this morning it looks like this is going in a good direction but not nearly over yet.
Rich Frankel

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11615
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: #GlassFire

#437 Post by Merrill Lindquist » October 4th, 2020, 9:36 am

Official word is "improving" and "17% containment."
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

User avatar
Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 960
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Re: #GlassFire

#438 Post by Albert R » October 4th, 2020, 10:05 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 9:36 am
Official word is "improving" and "17% containment."
May it continue!!!! grouphug
@. Re-go

User avatar
Al Osterheld
Posts: 6923
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay

Re: #GlassFire

#439 Post by Al Osterheld » October 4th, 2020, 10:48 am

Things have been looking pretty good for Calistoga for the past few days, looking good at present for Angwin as well. The fire has been burning more north and east of Calistoga (towards Middletown and Pope Valley). It's also been burning in Bothe State Park northwest of St Helena).

-Al

Leon Katraix
Posts: 21
Joined: January 7th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#440 Post by Leon Katraix » October 4th, 2020, 11:03 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 5:24 pm
AD Northup wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 5:06 pm
Will Bucklin just posted on Instagram that they lost their family compound in Kenwood. Such horrible destruction...
[cry.gif]
Will's Fall Release just went live, the Release Notes are heartbreaking and very informative (die Constellation die!). This release includes the
2018 Ancient Field Blend and Bambino, which I fully expect to be stunning, the 2019 Mixed Whites (if you've never had Will's Mixed Whites,
it is delicious), and a Cabernet. I went in for 2 cases - a great year to order heavy, you not only get to help keep Old Hill alive but you get the
reds from the stunning 2018 vintage (see MTP's release notes on his 2018 Old Hill)

User avatar
blarmston
Posts: 657
Joined: February 24th, 2016, 10:18 am
Location: San Diego

Re: #GlassFire

#441 Post by blarmston » October 4th, 2020, 11:40 am

Jeez, that’s a lot of fire retardant being dumped. That’ll probably end up in the water table and will be the gift that keeps on giving in future vintages. I had heard concerns about that for the fires in 2017, so possibly affecting the 2018 vintage. I’m not an expert in the potential dangers of the retardants being used to combat these fires, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that’s not something that we want even trace evidence of in our wines...
-Brian Armston

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20831
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: #GlassFire

#442 Post by Brian Tuite » October 4th, 2020, 11:56 am

blarmston wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 11:40 am
Jeez, that’s a lot of fire retardant being dumped. That’ll probably end up in the water table and will be the gift that keeps on giving in future vintages. I had heard concerns about that for the fires in 2017, so possibly affecting the 2018 vintage. I’m not an expert in the potential dangers of the retardants being used to combat these fires, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that’s not something that we want even trace evidence of in our wines...

A little extra nitrogen for the next growing season...

The retardant, called Phos-Chek, contains ammonium phosphate, a fertilizer. It also includes chemicals to regulate how the slurry drops, emulsifiers that render it gooey so it sticks to targets, and a coloring agent so air crews can track what they’ve dropped. For the most part, the ingredients are disclosed to Cal Fire by the Phos-Chekmanufacturer, ICL-Performance Products, LP.

But the entire formula is not made public. George Matousek, an ICL chemist who helped formulate the retardant, said the precise recipe is a trade secret but “all products in Phos-Chek are food-grade or better.”

The chemicals are mixed with water and are generally harmless to humans and most animals, according to the company. But retardants are known to be toxic to fish, so state and national fire-fighting agencies prohibit drops within 300 feet of water sources
.”
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37904
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: #GlassFire

#443 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 4th, 2020, 11:57 am

blarmston wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 11:40 am
Jeez, that’s a lot of fire retardant being dumped. That’ll probably end up in the water table and will be the gift that keeps on giving in future vintages. I had heard concerns about that for the fires in 2017, so possibly affecting the 2018 vintage. I’m not an expert in the potential dangers of the retardants being used to combat these fires, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that’s not something that we want even trace evidence of in our wines...
Got any actual info on effects, or just rumors?
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1835
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: #GlassFire

#444 Post by Steve Gautier » October 4th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Leon Katraix wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 11:03 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 5:24 pm
AD Northup wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 5:06 pm
Will Bucklin just posted on Instagram that they lost their family compound in Kenwood. Such horrible destruction...
[cry.gif]
Will's Fall Release just went live, the Release Notes are heartbreaking and very informative (die Constellation die!). This release includes the
2018 Ancient Field Blend and Bambino, which I fully expect to be stunning, the 2019 Mixed Whites (if you've never had Will's Mixed Whites,
it is delicious), and a Cabernet. I went in for 2 cases - a great year to order heavy, you not only get to help keep Old Hill alive but you get the
reds from the stunning 2018 vintage (see MTP's release notes on his 2018 Old Hill)
Not on the mailing list but should be since I like their wine. Can you provide some color on the Constellation comment?
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Marc Hauser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 649
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Location: Napa

Re: #GlassFire

#445 Post by Marc Hauser » October 4th, 2020, 1:24 pm

blarmston wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 11:40 am
Jeez, that’s a lot of fire retardant being dumped. That’ll probably end up in the water table and will be the gift that keeps on giving in future vintages. I had heard concerns about that for the fires in 2017, so possibly affecting the 2018 vintage. I’m not an expert in the potential dangers of the retardants being used to combat these fires, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that’s not something that we want even trace evidence of in our wines...
Do you have a better idea?
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman cannabis lawyer and erstwhile wine lawyer)

Leon Katraix
Posts: 21
Joined: January 7th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#446 Post by Leon Katraix » October 4th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 12:15 pm
Leon Katraix wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 11:03 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 5:24 pm


[cry.gif]
Will's Fall Release just went live, the Release Notes are heartbreaking and very informative (die Constellation die!). This release includes the
2018 Ancient Field Blend and Bambino, which I fully expect to be stunning, the 2019 Mixed Whites (if you've never had Will's Mixed Whites,
it is delicious), and a Cabernet. I went in for 2 cases - a great year to order heavy, you not only get to help keep Old Hill alive but you get the
reds from the stunning 2018 vintage (see MTP's release notes on his 2018 Old Hill)
Not on the mailing list but should be since I like their wine. Can you provide some color on the Constellation comment?
Will covers it thoroughly in the release notes, but as has been reported elsewhere Constellation has been turning down grapes from a large percentage of their growers - and thus stiffing them for the expected payment - using the excuse of smoke taint (usually without any testing). The suspicion
is that Constellation is simply using this horrible situation to get out of contracts in a period of an overabundance of grapes (they are reportedly
not alone in doing this) and of great uncertainty for them due to the Gallo situation

Leon Katraix
Posts: 21
Joined: January 7th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Re: #GlassFire

#447 Post by Leon Katraix » October 4th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 12:15 pm
Leon Katraix wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 11:03 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 5:24 pm


[cry.gif]
Will's Fall Release just went live, the Release Notes are heartbreaking and very informative (die Constellation die!). This release includes the
2018 Ancient Field Blend and Bambino, which I fully expect to be stunning, the 2019 Mixed Whites (if you've never had Will's Mixed Whites,
it is delicious), and a Cabernet. I went in for 2 cases - a great year to order heavy, you not only get to help keep Old Hill alive but you get the
reds from the stunning 2018 vintage (see MTP's release notes on his 2018 Old Hill)
Not on the mailing list but should be since I like their wine. Can you provide some color on the Constellation comment?
Also, Bucklin / Old Hill does not have a Mailing List, but rather a store front. Anyone can purchase directly from them, no wait, no allocations,
just stunning wine for the asking (and a very reasonable cost). While every year I lament the fact that only a few Compani Portis from
Bedrock and Carlisle are available, with Bucklin I can grab a full case of the Mixed Whites (as I just did) - and we enjoy the Mixed Whites at least as well as we
do the Company Portis. Similarly, I can buy Will's Ancient Field Blend in quantity while only being allocated a few Old Hill by Bedrock (or, I suspect soon, by Carlisle - but
read the release notes!). Will also rewards previous buyers with a Persona Grata discount of 15% each release, which makes the wines even more reasonable.

User avatar
Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1835
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 6:29 am
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: #GlassFire

#448 Post by Steve Gautier » October 4th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Leon Katraix wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 2:21 pm
Steve Gautier wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 12:15 pm
Leon Katraix wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 11:03 am


Will's Fall Release just went live, the Release Notes are heartbreaking and very informative (die Constellation die!). This release includes the
2018 Ancient Field Blend and Bambino, which I fully expect to be stunning, the 2019 Mixed Whites (if you've never had Will's Mixed Whites,
it is delicious), and a Cabernet. I went in for 2 cases - a great year to order heavy, you not only get to help keep Old Hill alive but you get the
reds from the stunning 2018 vintage (see MTP's release notes on his 2018 Old Hill)
Not on the mailing list but should be since I like their wine. Can you provide some color on the Constellation comment?
Didn't know that. Thanks.
Also, Bucklin / Old Hill does not have a Mailing List, but rather a store front. Anyone can purchase directly from them, no wait, no allocations,
just stunning wine for the asking (and a very reasonable cost). While every year I lament the fact that only a few Compani Portis from
Bedrock and Carlisle are available, with Bucklin I can grab a full case of the Mixed Whites (as I just did) - and we enjoy the Mixed Whites at least as well as we
do the Company Portis. Similarly, I can buy Will's Ancient Field Blend in quantity while only being allocated a few Old Hill by Bedrock (or, I suspect soon, by Carlisle - but
read the release notes!). Will also rewards previous buyers with a Persona Grata discount of 15% each release, which makes the wines even more reasonable.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15953
Joined: April 7th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

Re: #GlassFire

#449 Post by brigcampbell » October 4th, 2020, 3:28 pm

The reason phos chek is bad for fish is the nitrogen feeds the algae blooms and reduces oxygen, bad things if you're a fish.
Some of the main components of Phos-Chek retardants include ammonium polyphosphate, diammonium phosphate, diammonium sulfate, monoammonium phosphate, attapulgus clay, guar gum (or a derivative of guar gum), and trade secret performance additives.[11][12] Fire retardants are manufactured as several different formulations with varying proportions of the above components.[13]

The phosphate and sulfate salts act as fire retardants and prevent combustion of cellulosic materials. They also act as a fertilizer once the fire danger has passed. Guar gum and clay are thickening agents to prevent dispersal of the retardant after it is dropped from the plane. Other ingredients include corrosion inhibitors and flow conditioners.[14]

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21485
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: #GlassFire

#450 Post by Alan Rath » October 4th, 2020, 3:47 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 3:28 pm
The reason phos chek is bad for fish is the nitrogen feeds the algae blooms and reduces oxygen, bad things if you're a fish.
Some of the main components of Phos-Chek retardants include ammonium polyphosphate, diammonium phosphate, diammonium sulfate, monoammonium phosphate, attapulgus clay, guar gum (or a derivative of guar gum), and trade secret performance additives.[11][12] Fire retardants are manufactured as several different formulations with varying proportions of the above components.[13]

The phosphate and sulfate salts act as fire retardants and prevent combustion of cellulosic materials. They also act as a fertilizer once the fire danger has passed. Guar gum and clay are thickening agents to prevent dispersal of the retardant after it is dropped from the plane. Other ingredients include corrosion inhibitors and flow conditioners.[14]
The more important question is what is worse for the environment, some retardant, or thousands of acres of burned forest? I think the answer to that question is complicated.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”