On CT, I'm S1

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: #GlassFire

#302 Post by Steve Gautier » September 30th, 2020, 11:54 am

Karen Troisi wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 11:42 am
We just got word that both the winery and the offsite barrel storage facility are now in the evacuation warning zone. Both are in St. Helena on the valley floor - winery is on the western side while barrel storage (housing our 2019 vintage) is on the Silverado Trail. Ugh - it's going to be a stressful couple of days until this red flag warning ends.
Ugh! Wish I could do more than 🤞🤞.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Taylor Broussard

#303 Post by Taylor Broussard » September 30th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Not sure if this has been added yet to the discussion - but Keenan Winery has survived, and have no structure damage. Pride has reported no structure damage as well, but I did see some reports of a structure fire nearby on Summit Trail late yesterday, so it's possible there was a late push by the fire. Based on their earlier message, it does seem like they have a private fire crew and other resources, so I'm guessing they're well prepared.

David Baum

#304 Post by David Baum » September 30th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 10:35 am
93F4E105-4735-43B6-8CB9-05DE2B67AD97.png759C8743-C9D8-4BDA-A9F8-FCB5E971D288.png
Havent been there in years but it was always a helluva tasting. What ever happened to the airstream they used for tastings at Behrens?
Last edited by David Baum on September 30th, 2020, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#305 Post by T. Altmayer » September 30th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Anybody hear anything about Reverie?
Tom

David Baum

#306 Post by David Baum » September 30th, 2020, 12:11 pm

For those unfamiliar with the geography Napa is unsurprisingly a Valley with large mountain ranges to the east and the west. The Valley narrows greatly up north in St Helena and Calistoga. The Glass Fire was on the east side of the valley mostly on the lower portions of the mountains. When you look at a map and see Spring Mountain that looks like its 2-3 miles west that is very decieving. Spring Mountain road is a steep windy drive up the mountain. The drive from Downtown St Helena up to Pride can easily take 20 minutes. While the distance between east and west looks small as the crow flies the terrain and distance traveled on the ground is far longer. With that said embers fly particularly when winds blow so the Glass Fire has no problem spreading up to the top of Spring Mountain when there are high winds.

Hope that helps for some of you less familiar with the area

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#307 Post by Brian Tuite » September 30th, 2020, 12:13 pm

David Baum wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:04 pm
Brian Tuite wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 10:35 am
93F4E105-4735-43B6-8CB9-05DE2B67AD97.png759C8743-C9D8-4BDA-A9F8-FCB5E971D288.png
Havent been there in years but it was always a helluva tasting. What ever happened to the airstream they used for tastings?
They built a tasting room which survived the fire along with the crushpad.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#308 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 30th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 11:46 am
Jason T wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 11:34 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 9:59 am
Huge and terrible news. I've learned Emily Richer (Virage) has lost her home to the fire. This is so devastating, I can't imagine.

I'd like us to put something together like we did for the Stonekings, and I'll reach out to Emily and see how things are for her, what she suggests.

Here are the before and after photos:
Am I right that Emily is a Berserker?
Yes, and her winery, Virage, has been a long time Berserker Day participant.
Ugh, what terrible news. I hope everyone got out safely
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#309 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » September 30th, 2020, 12:20 pm

She is ok but what’s left of her foundation is still smoldering.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#310 Post by JDavisRoby » September 30th, 2020, 12:20 pm

David Baum wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:11 pm
For those unfamiliar with the geography Napa is unsurprisingly a Valley with large mountain ranges to the east and the west. The Valley narrows greatly up north in St Helena and Calistoga. The Glass Fire was on the east side of the valley mostly on the lower portions of the mountains. When you look at a map and see Spring Mountain that looks like its 2-3 miles west that is very decieving. Spring Mountain road is a steep windy drive up the mountain. The drive from Downtown St Helena up to Pride can easily take 20 minutes. While the distance between east and west looks small as the crow flies the terrain and distance traveled on the ground is far longer. With that said embers fly particularly when winds blow so the Glass Fire has no problem spreading up to the top of Spring Mountain when there are high winds.

When I originally heard the location of the fire being where the “the pinch” in the valley is I immediately knew Hourglass was in trouble as that is how they came up with the name. The shape of the valley and their being right in the middle.
Joshu@

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#311 Post by T Welch » September 30th, 2020, 12:29 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:20 pm
David Baum wrote:

When I originally heard the location of the fire being where the “the pinch” in the valley is I immediately knew Hourglass was in trouble as that is how they came up with the name. The shape of the valley and their being right in the middle.
The original Hourglass vineyard is just North of Lodi Lane in St. Helena but the Blueline Vineyard, where the winery is located, is the property just North of Calistoga Ranch. Calistoga Ranch and the Blueline property were severely damaged.
T*R*U*E*T*T

Keith_B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#312 Post by Keith_B » September 30th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Text of email from Cain - very sad...

When the three families living at Cain left our homes on Sunday evening, none of us could begin to imagine that we would never return. Nor could we think that the winery, the beautiful vintage of 2019, and some promising new wines of 2020 would be gone. But on Sunday night, all of this vanished.

For the families, the owners, the Meadlocks, and all of those who have worked at Cain, the loss is devastating, but still too soon to be fully understood. Nevertheless, all is not lost.

What remains are the amazing people of Cain, a large number of friends, supporters and customers of Cain, most of the magnificent Valley Oaks, much of the 90 acre Cain Vineyard, and the wines, all safely stored in south Napa. Our 2016 vintage is just coming to market, and we have two more vintages yet to be released, and an extensive library of back vintages to be enjoyed for many years to come. And of course, there is always La Piedra, that dramatic rock outcropping that focuses the energy of Cain.

The Cain project was begun in 1980 with the purchase of the heart of McCormick Ranch, more than a century old at that time. Since then, nearly fifty more years have past and Cain has just celebrated the release of its thirtieth vintage of Cain Five. However significant this might be in the rapidly developing context of the Napa Valley, in the larger context of wine, it is just a beginning. In wine, we live vintage by vintage, vines take many years to mature—things happen slowly. The recent wildfires serve as powerful reminders that wine—the wines that we love—only exist within the larger context of Nature.

On Sunday morning, we awoke to a fire at the foot of Glass Mountain in St. Helena, on the east side of the Napa Valley. Through the course of the day, we watched as the fire burned up the rugged slopes below Howell Mountain. But on Sunday evening we were alerted by friends and neighbors of a new fire, on our side of the valley, at the foot of Spring Mountain. By 8pm we could see flames at the top of the Newton Vineyard, just one ridge and about a mile away from Cain. Even more worrisome, a third fire ignited to the west of Cain, at the foot of Hood Mountain in Sonoma. We certainly didn’t want to go, but we knew that it was time to leave.

The community of Spring Mountain quickly got the word out. And within an hour, Sheriffs of Napa County came to each resident’s door. Under dramatic and quickly changing conditions, the Napa County Sheriff's Department did an outstanding job.

Over the next two hours high winds drove the fire down into the canyon between Newton and Cain, developing intense heat and moving with alarming rapidity. Within two hours flames had consumed the beautiful redwood barn, built in 1871, and were climbing the hill below the Cain winery. For Katie and me, these were our last visions that night.

As far as we know, not all of Spring Mountain was touched by fire; some wineries remain intact; many vineyards appear to be okay; and no one was hurt. A few winery buildings, like those of Cain were destroyed, but Spring Mountain District, its vines, its wines and its people remain.

Chris Howell and Katie Lazar

Napa Valley, Wednesday, September 30, 2020
Instagram: @keithbentley

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#313 Post by Merrill Lindquist » September 30th, 2020, 12:36 pm

lleichtman wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 11:25 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 7:35 am
Pretty sure tourists visit Castillo Di amarosa.

Isn’t there a culinary institute right by there too?
CIA is in St. Helena. Isn't Castillo di Amarosa in Calistoga?
Both are on rte 29. It takes maybe 15 minutes to drive from downtown St. Helena to Calistoga.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#314 Post by brigcampbell » September 30th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
Jason T wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Huge and terrible news. I've learned Emily Richer (Virage) has lost her home to the fire. This is so devastating, I can't imagine.

I'd like us to put something together like we did for the Stonekings, and I'll reach out to Emily and see how things are for her, what she suggests.

And Emily has donated the cabin on her property to the Berserkday Auction. She has also participated in Falltacullar. Good human.

GregP

#315 Post by GregP » September 30th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Troy Stark wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 5:50 am
GregP wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 2:04 am
Chris Crutchfield wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:57 pm

Any evidence of such? If not, I fail to see how speculation like this is helpful.
Certainly, a few caught up in OR very recently. Videos available, in one 2 women (CCW holders) driving an SUV noticed a miscreant trying to start a fire then held him until cops arrived. Another incident, in OR as well, cops caught one in the process of trying to start a fire, made an arrest, AG ordered release almost immediately, and cops caught the guy again just an hour or two after release trying to start another fire. Both events just in the past week or so, that I know of, I KNOW I can find more if I look, here in CA as well. As a matter of fact and now that I am thinking about it, I do recall some reports in the past few weeks here in CA of cops making arrests for arson (way too late an hour and I may do a search of news come morning).

Napa wise, though no official word yet, but it was my first reaction as well. Highly suspicious that a fire starts at 4AM on a perfect weather cool temp night. And then one across the (wide) valley floor soon after. No fire storms, very few tourists/visitors, etc. Unless a bear fart can start a fire, of course.
I thought this had all been debunked. Link please?
Debunked by whom, and when? A couple of links already posted above by someone else, there are plenty more. Took me what, 2 seconds, to type the search params?

https://abc7.com/wildfire-oregon-fire-in-arson/6420067/

https://filmdaily.co/news/california-fi ... n-attacks/

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/loca ... 89880.html

https://patch.com/california/novato/man ... res-novato

Up and down the coast.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

David Baum

#316 Post by David Baum » September 30th, 2020, 12:39 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
David Baum wrote:

Never thought of that or knew that. Now the name makes complete sense

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#317 Post by brigcampbell » September 30th, 2020, 12:40 pm

T Welch wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:29 pm
JDavisRoby wrote:
David Baum wrote:

The original Hourglass vineyard is just North of Lodi Lane in St. Helena but the Blueline Vineyard, where the winery is located, is the property just North of Calistoga Ranch. Calistoga Ranch and the Blueline property were severely damaged.
Any news on Switchback? The old vine petite vineyard sits right there and Kelly's father's home. There are a lot of big trees around the house... Some actually planted by her father way back when. The wine is made elsewhere.

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#318 Post by T Welch » September 30th, 2020, 12:43 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:40 pm
T Welch wrote:
JDavisRoby wrote:

Any news on Switchback? The old vine petite vineyard sits right there and Kelly's father's home. The wine is made elsewhere.
Per Kelly yesterday, so far, so good, with no structures damaged. She didn't mention any vineyard damage. For those who don't know, Peterson Ranch (Switchback Ridge) is just North and adjacent to Hourglass' Blueline Vineyard and winery.
T*R*U*E*T*T

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#319 Post by Jason T » September 30th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
Jason T wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Mike, thanks for confirming. Todd, when you know more please let us know how we can help.
J@son Tr@ughber

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#320 Post by brigcampbell » September 30th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Steve Gautier wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 10:17 am
Corey N. wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 9:31 am
I'm half a country away and the fires seem overwhelming; I can only imagine how it must be for the people who are living through this. As a midwesterner, understanding that fires are a regular concern is difficult to wrap my head around, but even more so is the scale. I did some quick math and the acreage that has burned in California is roughly equivalent to 25 Chicagos...that's just mind-boggling. My thoughts are with all of those who are impacted by this tragedy.
I just saw that the August Complex fire which is in Mendocino and Humboldt counties started on August 17th and is only 40% contained is now up to 862,000 acres.
Size of the entire state of Rhode Island. Mind boggling.

I haven't read but speculate that it's not getting the proportionate resources because it's so isolated, been burning for 1-1/2 months and "only" took out 100 structures and there's very few people/cities around it. Lives and property come first.

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#321 Post by Peter Kleban » September 30th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:

What awful news. I have some Virage downstairs, and have enjoyed emailing back and forth with her. Really nice person, and great fun to interact with. Do keep us in the loop (as I'm sure you will).
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Bêcheur Chard Anderson Vy '18
Felettig Morey St. Denis VV '14
Felletig Chamb-Mus VV '14
Pépière Muscadet Briords '09
Volpaia Chianti Class '18
Lignier Morey St Denis 1er Ormes '14
Collestefano Verdicchio di M '19
Pépière Muscadet Briords '19
Bêcheur PN '14
Virage '07

Jason L Jones
GCC Member
GCC Member

#322 Post by Jason L Jones » September 30th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Peter Kleban wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:53 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

What awful news. I have some Virage downstairs, and have enjoyed emailing back and forth with her. Really nice person, and great fun to interact with. Do keep us in the loop (as I'm sure you will).
I could not agree more. Heartbreaking news and I hope we can help in some small way.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#323 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » September 30th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Peter Kleban wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Yeah, my heart is heavy reading all this too. Her Rose was a yearly pick up for me. I can not even imagine.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#324 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 30th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Jason T wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Mike Evans wrote:
Jason T wrote:

Mike, thanks for confirming. Todd, when you know more please let us know how we can help.
It's coming - I already have communicated with her. Likely she will put an offer up as while insurance covers her buildings, cash flow is the big need right now, thus I'll be pushing her amazing wines to help out, and hope many others do, too
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#325 Post by Albert R » September 30th, 2020, 1:28 pm

Jason L Jones wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 1:05 pm
Peter Kleban wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

I could not agree more. Heartbreaking news and I hope we can help in some small way.
Agree, this is so sad. Count me in for support.
@. Re-go

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#326 Post by Dave McIsaac » September 30th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Jason T wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Mike Evans wrote:
Jason T wrote:

I was just in touch with her. She is understandably frazzled. She will be giving Todd a special sales code, as taking orders and shipping wine would give her some sense of normalcy.

She makes outstanding roses and red blends. I bought 4 cases of her 2016 rose this BD, and it still drinks really well. Her 2007 red blend has become our annual Christmas wine. You won't be disappointed.

I am a big fan of both Emily and Virage.
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#327 Post by Troy Stark » September 30th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Keith_B wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:32 pm
Text of email from Cain - very sad...
Ooof, that is hard to read. Cain is one of our favorites...
Insta: @lofiwineguy

TomC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#328 Post by TomC » September 30th, 2020, 2:37 pm

T Welch wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:43 pm
brigcampbell wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:40 pm
T Welch wrote:

Any news on Switchback? The old vine petite vineyard sits right there and Kelly's father's home. The wine is made elsewhere.
Per Kelly yesterday, so far, so good, with no structures damaged. She didn't mention any vineyard damage. For those who don't know, Peterson Ranch (Switchback Ridge) is just North and adjacent to Hourglass' Blueline Vineyard and winery.
Switchback Ridge update sent out this afternoon:
"We wanted to take a minute to update you on the devastating Glass Fire that broke out in St. Helena early Sunday morning. We are relieved to report that our entire family, our homes, and our vineyard property are all safe. The Glass fire has now burned more than 48,000 acres and is 2% contained. The fire made its way down the ridge and onto our family's property Monday night, but thanks to the tireless and heroic efforts of firefighters, our damage was minimal all things considered. While we feel a sense of relief, our hearts remain heavy as we continue to get updates from friends and neighbors who have lost their homes and wineries. We want to thank each and every one of you who has called, emailed, or texted these past few days. Your love and concern has meant so much during this incredibly stressful time. We're hopeful that things will start to improve in the coming days so that our community can start to assess the damage and start what will certainly be a long rebuilding process."
t o m c h e u n g

Matt Mauldin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#329 Post by Matt Mauldin » September 30th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Some good news. A note on Smith-Madrone's website indicates that their winery survived the fire, but still assessing other impacts.
ITB

TakeshiJ

#330 Post by TakeshiJ » September 30th, 2020, 4:30 pm

T. Altmayer wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 12:04 pm
Anybody hear anything about Reverie?
Hi Altmayer,

Yes Reverie II is safe . I visited them on Sept 12th during the smoke it was still nice. It might be worse now due to all the nearby debris.

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#331 Post by T. Altmayer » September 30th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Thanks
Tom

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#332 Post by Mattstolz » September 30th, 2020, 4:48 pm

not sure how many people saw the email from Dirty and Rowdy the other day but it said fires came within 25 feet of the winery but the winery is safe and they are all evacuated. I tried to look through the thread to make sure this wasn't old news for everyone but I was very glad to hear it.

Troy Stark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#333 Post by Troy Stark » September 30th, 2020, 5:31 pm

Matt Mauldin wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Some good news. A note on Smith-Madrone's website indicates that their winery survived the fire, but still assessing other impacts.
That's great news. Those guys are gems and their wines are some of our favorites.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#334 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » September 30th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Returned to work in St Helena this morning for the first time since Sunday (power was out), only to get the evacuation warning (whole town of St Helena) at 11am. Smoke was punishingly thick. 1/4 mile visibility at times. Friends living in town said it was coming through the walls and they had voluntarily evacuated last night just to escape the air inside and out.

Drove all the way around the Mayacamas mountains to get back home to Santa Rosa. The good people at Oxbow Market in Napa were very kind to this weary lab rat desperately seeking cheer in the form of a Reuben.

Edited: St Helena was put under an evacuation warning, not mandatory order.
Last edited by Ben M a n d l e r on September 30th, 2020, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#335 Post by Brian Tuite » September 30th, 2020, 6:04 pm

Ben M a n d l e r wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 6:02 pm
Returned to work in St Helena this morning for the first time since Sunday (power was out), only to get the mandatory evacuation order (whole town of St Helena) at 11am. Smoke was punishingly thick. 1/4 mile visibility at times. Friends living in town said it was coming through the walls and they had voluntarily evacuated last night just to escape the air inside and out.

Drove all the way around the Mayacamas mountains to get back home to Santa Rosa. The good people at Oxbow Market in Napa were very kind to this weary lab rat desperately seeking cheer in the form of a Reuben.
I have to make that trek tomorrow but I’m reconsidering St Helena. May just hit Napa and then Carneros/Sonoma and swing back to Petaluma to get to F’ville. Gonna suck for sure.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2020 WOTY Candidates

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#336 Post by Siun o'Connell » September 30th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
Jason T wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Yep - I’ve been enjoying the wonderful half bottles she sold by the case last BD ... delicious Rose, so nicely made and lovely to drink. Todd, please let us know how we can help for sure. Emily is one very cool Berserker!

Charles Kersten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#337 Post by Charles Kersten » September 30th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Global Supertanker getting ready for a drop and making a drop on the east side of Glass fire tonight. Caught this from St Helena webcam.
Attachments
Glass 5.jpg
Glass 4.jpg

Al Osterheld

#338 Post by Al Osterheld » September 30th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Looks like the current challenging fire activity is north of Calistoga. All depends on the wind, though, both the direction and intensity.

-Al

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#339 Post by Jeremy C » September 30th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Karen Troisi wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 11:42 am
We just got word that both the winery and the offsite barrel storage facility are now in the evacuation warning zone. Both are in St. Helena on the valley floor - winery is on the western side while barrel storage (housing our 2019 vintage) is on the Silverado Trail. Ugh - it's going to be a stressful couple of days until this red flag warning ends.
Good luck!
Cuth.bert.son

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#340 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » September 30th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 6:04 pm
Ben M a n d l e r wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 6:02 pm
Returned to work in St Helena this morning for the first time since Sunday (power was out), only to get the mandatory evacuation order (whole town of St Helena) at 11am. Smoke was punishingly thick. 1/4 mile visibility at times. Friends living in town said it was coming through the walls and they had voluntarily evacuated last night just to escape the air inside and out.

I have to make that trek tomorrow but I’m reconsidering St Helena. May just hit Napa and then Carneros/Sonoma and swing back to Petaluma to get to F’ville. Gonna suck for sure.
Yeah, can’t say I recommend it! I should restate part of my earlier post, it was an evacuation warning, not order, for St Helena, as you probably know already. Still, nasty conditions there.
ITB

Tim McCracken

#341 Post by Tim McCracken » October 1st, 2020, 1:26 am

Troy Stark wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 5:31 pm
Matt Mauldin wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 3:05 pm
That's great news. Those guys are gems and their wines are some of our favorites.
+1. I always try to visit them when I go to Napa.

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#342 Post by Karen Troisi » October 1st, 2020, 5:15 am

This is an excellent video by CalFire on why we are all concerned about the northern portion of the Napa Valley today and tomorrow.
Jean Edwards Cellars
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#343 Post by Merrill Lindquist » October 1st, 2020, 6:00 am

My property escaped so far, but it is not over yet. Chris Kostow, the chef at Restaurant at Meadowood, lives 3 driveways down - essentially abutting Eisele Vineyard. I read that the fire came on to his property but did not damage his dwelling. Way too close for comfort. Looks like I'll stay in Boston for a few more days - no where else to go without a lot of hassle.
Merrill

Gray G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#344 Post by Gray G » October 1st, 2020, 6:01 am

thank you KT
my friends call me Gary, so much time, so little wine, Albanista, K Vinters rocks! MCK, Cattle King, love Gri3v3 Family wines Double Eagle baby! flavors please, non-religious freedom :) egalitarian, non-socialist, non-ITB, paid subscriber of online chat, Going Beserk everyday! "life's not black and white but black and grey"- Graham Greene

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#345 Post by JDavisRoby » October 1st, 2020, 6:01 am

T Welch wrote:
JDavisRoby wrote:
David Baum wrote:

Yes. Adjacent to Duckhorn correct? Not far from Mending Wall and a few others that were in fear of fire damage, I thought.
Joshu@

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#346 Post by Brian Tuite » October 1st, 2020, 7:02 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 6:00 am
My property escaped so far, but it is not over yet. Chris Kostow, the chef at Restaurant at Meadowood, lives 3 driveways down - essentially abutting Eisele Vineyard. I read that the fire came on to his property but did not damage his dwelling. Way too close for comfort. Looks like I'll stay in Boston for a few more days - no where else to go without a lot of hassle.
Meritage Resort and Spa is giving a 30% discount for evacuees and are waiving the resort fee and pet fee.

My Daughter stayed there for a couple days. Said the hotel supplied a cat bed and food dish as well.

2020 WOTY Candidates

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#347 Post by Merrill Lindquist » October 1st, 2020, 7:08 am

Thanks, Brian. I can't get in my house to get my cat, so I think I will stay put. Flights are easy to book these days, so I think this works best. I have lots of friends around these parts, so I will spend more time with them than I am usually able. A Berserker is coming over for Champagne late this afternoon - it is a stellar, sunny day at the ocean. I am going to make the best of a bad situation.
Merrill

bob poirier

#348 Post by bob poirier » October 1st, 2020, 9:28 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 7:08 am
Thanks, Brian. I can't get in my house to get my cat, so I think I will stay put. Flights are easy to book these days, so I think this works best. I have lots of friends around these parts, so I will spend more time with them than I am usually able. A Berserker is coming over for Champagne late this afternoon - it is a stellar, sunny day at the ocean. I am going to make the best of a bad situation.
Glad to hear your safe so far and back in MA (Top 3 weather day today), you and Lady Sapphire will be in our thoughts until this is over.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#349 Post by Merrill Lindquist » October 1st, 2020, 9:55 am

bob poirier wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 9:28 am
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 7:08 am
Glad to hear your safe so far and back in MA (Top 3 weather day today), you and Lady Sapphire will be in our thoughts until this is over.
Thanks, Bob. Yes, this is one of those weather days which makes me wonder why I don't live here! The moon rise was incredible over the ocean last night, and I woke up to blinding sun over the water. I'll take it, given I can't be in my own home.

For those who don't grasp the entire situation, they have Highway Patrol blocking all entrances into Calistoga. You simply can't get in. The strong winds apparently did not materialize last night, so the fire did not make any additional headway. But I understand the Glass Fire is only 3% contained after 5 days of aggressive burning. Heartbreaking. We are not out of the woods yet.
Merrill

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#350 Post by Karen Troisi » October 1st, 2020, 9:57 am

Eerily quiet overnight and this morning. And now we have a little something going on - 2 to 3 acres at Oakville Grade and Dry Creek Road. Air support on its way, hope they knock that one down quickly.
Jean Edwards Cellars
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

Return to “Wine Talk”