TNs: Mixed / meh Italians

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
melvinyeo

TNs: Mixed / meh Italians

#1 Post by melvinyeo » September 27th, 2020, 5:00 am

Slightly grumpy notes, probably due to a bout of food poisoning a few days back, and bad food at the restaurant.
  • 2000 Fontanafredda Barolo Vigna La Rosa - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (27/9/2020)
    Wonderful Barolo with some age, viusally it appeared a little more mature that its actually was with the amount of bricking in the colour. Generous fruits on the redder spectrum, riper style that showed a little glimpse of the telltale signs violets, petals and tar. The tannins and structure have almost completely dissipated, drink now.
  • 2010 Pietradolce Etna Vigna Barbagalli - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (27/9/2020)
    Nerellos can be a dead-ringer for Pinots but not here. Very high acid and drying tannins, finished a little short. Was reading some CT notes on this and most of were hating on Suckling’s review on this: ‘went in with an expectation of a mind-blowing nose of prephylloxera fruit, tasted like a boring Brunello’. Difficult to disagree with.
  • 2011 Albino Rocca Barbaresco Ronchi - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (27/9/2020)
    Lovely when first popped - great aromatics of fresh raspberries and a soft creamy texture that hinted at some oak use. Shutdown with a little air into a wall of tannins, darker fruits, and balsamic notes. Definitely more modern in style.
  • 2011 Tenuta Il Canovino Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Quarto Vecchio - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico (27/9/2020)
    Didn’t mind this but wouldn’t have thought that this was an Amarone. Ripe red fruits but not overly sweet or raisiny.
  • 2015 Fontodi Syrah Case Via Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (27/9/2020)
    I normally love Fontodi but this was a miss for me. Rich blackberry, violet profile that was way over ripe. Wouldn’t have guessed Syrah blind.
  • 2015 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Costasera - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico (27/9/2020)
    Similar to the 2013 I had before, this is a full on Amarone with sweet plummy fruit. Technically correct but lacking in character or complexity.
  • NV Cantine Pellegrino Passito di Pantelleria Liquoroso - Italy, Sicily, Passito di Pantelleria (27/9/2020)
    Italian muscat. Not overly sweet, some orange marmalade, fig and a tea-like aftertaste. A bit thin on texture but I didn’t mind this.
  • NV Farnese Edizione Cinque Autoctoni - Italy (27/9/2020)
    Chocolate milkshake texture, full on oak bomb. Dark and overripe, sweet and sappy. A perfect caricature of a Rollandised wine, take a bow. 99 points though amirite.
Image Image Image

Return to “Wine Talk”