Lambert Estate The Chocolatier

In 2002, I spend about six months in Australia, while before I knew anything whatsoever about wine. I did a day tour of the Barossa and one of the places our tour took us to was Lambert Estate https://www.lambertestate.com/.

They have a port called The Chocolatier. I thought it was really fascinating, bought a bottle, and finished over a few nights.

This just came up in another discussion, and I thought, was that any good, or was that a vestige of young me? Anyone else tried this or anything like it? It tasted just like drinking chocolate, except also it was wine. Probably going to order some just to try it again, but wondering if I need to be talked out of it!

I tasted a port with chocolate notes from Graveyard Vineyards in Paso Robles in 2010 or so. Just checked and it looks like they still sell it or something similar. I found it very interesting, bought a bottle to bring home and then couldn’t stand it when it I tried it a year or so later. I had to invite a lot of friends to sample it so I didn’t have to pour it out! Not sure why I found it so much more compelling at the winery.

Something about the atmosphere I suppose. This is what worries me about buying it again!