TN: 2018 Paul Pillot Saint-Aubin 1er Les Charmois

My first taste of 2018 burgundy. Heading in with a bit of trepidation.

The nose opens up as flinty, smoky, mineral, fresh. Pleasantly reductive. Though the palate is relatively expansive, and somewhat viscous, the flavor profile is predominantly green and savory. Lemon peel, minerality, plenty of acidity. Far better than I expected for the vintage. A really nice wine.

I have been thoroughly impressed with these wines since I first started tasting them in 2014. Thierry is doing some amazing things. Even his 2015s have held up well.

Disclaimer: I do sell these, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know this guy is going to be a huge start one day :slight_smile:

Why the phrase “even his 2015s”? Are 2015 white burgs really so poor in your view?

Yes, frankly, I love 2015 white burgundy. The well-made examples have plenty of acidity to balance the fruit, and the wines are accessible and complete in youth.

Not in my view, but my experience was a lot of push back on the vintage since I think most viewed it as a red wine vintage.

I made fresh trout yesterday and decided to pair a Saint Aubin with them. (I was drinking a red Graves at first though, in the first image) The fish are about a pound each, before being prepped, which takes 8-10 min per.

The 2017 Oliver Leflaive ‘Charmois’ 1er [St Aubin] is reallly delicious. better than the 2016 I felt. It looks like the 2017 is about a half degree higher (than prior vintage) in abv, clocking in at 13% if the labels are accurate. Juicy, zippy, lively and with seashore character. I’d give it an A- I don’t know anything about the vineyard but it seems to have done well this harvest.

The pecan panko crusted fish are time consuming to prepare butterflied, but are delicious enough that the whole tribe (and pets) will eat them. Still there can be a few pin bones in them, so one has to be mindful when gobbling them.

3 Likes