Official High Holy Days 2020 (5781) Wine Thread

L’shana tova to all who celebrate, and good riddance 5780! As we approach Erev Rosh Hashanah, thought I’d see what people are drinking with family and friends, whether in-person or remotely, as we start the new year.

I’ll be opening some 2018 Barkan Pinot Noir tomorrow at a friend’s (strict kosher), but plan to have my last bottle of 2015 Bedrock Old Vine Zinfandel this weekend at home.

L’Shana tova! We are having a 2011 Saxum James Berry tonight.

1 Like

For the combination of Rosh Hoshanah and International Grenache Day, we are having a 2010 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée de mon Aïeul

L’Shana tova to all who celebrate.

So far, 2017 selbach oster zeltinger schlossberg kabinett. Very tasty.

We are opening 2008 Castel Grand Vin and 2013 Tzora Misty Hill (both Israeli and kosher). Tomorrow night we are trying for the first time 2017 J-P Marchand Gevrey Chambertin and 2017 J-P Marchand Nuits St. Georges (also kosher). I wish everyone a Shana Tovah. May 5782 bring us all peace, prosperity, good health and, most of all, a kosher grand (or at least premier) cru Burgundy.

I wanted a Burgundy but it had to go decently with brisket. So, we opened a NSG - a 2006 Hospices de Nuits Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Didiers Cuvée Jacques Duret Faiveley (Hospices Auction Group). It did pretty well in that it was richer with nice plum flavors but not that much complexity that would get lost with the rich flavors of the brisket. I know I probably should have opened a Ridge Zin or something like that but this was a pretty good pairing.

Have a happy and healthy new year.

Made pasta chi vruocculi arriminati (cauliflower, pine nuts, anchovies, raisins and onions) so chose a Rhône blend: 2009 Donkey & Goat Coupe d’Or Roussanne/Marsanne. It had good acidity to go with a slightly oily honey and lemon taste. Great combination.

2002 St. Innocent Anden PN with seared morels and mushroom gravy on chicken. At peak now.

We had a really nice 2005 Aldo Coterno Barolo. L’shana tova to all who celebrate.

L’Shana Tova, between celebrating the New Year and our daughters extraordinary new job we went all out, 1997 Joseph Phelps Insignia (worth all 100 pts) and 2010 Cayuse Widowmaker.

We’re going to open a 2011 Quivet Kenefick Ranch Syrah to go with pot roast. In a nod to my wife, daughter in law, and daughter, the 2016 Bedrock Sauv Blanc Staves of Waidhofen.

And now, to hear the Rabbi’s sermon on a Stream.

Night two - 2011 Clark-Claudon Eternity which paired well with Pomegranate Molasses Lamb Shoulder using the Zavah recipe.