TN: A Stunning 2007 CdP

2007 La Bastide Saint-Dominique Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Secrets de Pignan

Primarily old vine Grenache.

Crimson in color. 15% ABV. Sublime nose of red fruits, garrigue and ruby port. Medium body with nice acidity. Exceptional balance. Fresh and charming. Raspberry, kirsch liqueur, herbes de Provence and licorice on the palate. The finish is breathtaking. Brilliant wine that delivers a serious blow to conventional wisdom regarding the 2007 vintage. Just a stunner. Best over the next 3-5 years.

My rating: 96 points.

Full review on Zinfandel Chronicles - 2007 La Bastide Saint-Dominique Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Secrets de Pignan - Bottle Notes | Zinfandel Chronicles

Cheers, Tom
IMG_2687-scaled-e1600298436153.jpg

Cool! I have one somewhere but have never tried it…

Thanks for the note Tom. I need to find a few of these for the upcoming fall weather - haven’t tried one of these since release. CHEERS

I have the '09 which is very good as well.

PXL_20220716_233433783.jpg
I finally pulled the cork on the 2007 La Bastide Saint Dominque ‘Secrets de Pignan’ Vielles Vignes [CNDP] and it was awesome. This was a French tax stamp bottle (with no US import sticker) that I had picked up at auction during the Obama era, so perhaps it was hand carried back from France by whoever consigned it. I would assume even a gray marketeer would have to tag the bottles. The stated abv was 15%, so I expected this would taste like a scorched/syrupy example, but its actually medium bodied, and doesn’t taste hot/thick/pruney. The nose is a fantastic blend of cinnamon, kirsch, sandalwood, Aperol. I actually switched to a gigantic Burgundy stem (not pictured) since this had so much aromatic complexity. The palate is good, but doesn’t keep up with the rainbow in the bouquet - I get red berry fruit, low acid, no tannin and just a light prickle on the tongue in the first glasses of CO2, or maybe VA. I realize this vintage/AOC pair has its detractors, but this might surprise some of them if tasted without preconceptions. It’s a heck of a wine, and I’d give it an A on my scorecard. Mostly grenache, and the closest I’ll get to a Rayas I expect.

Don’t buy a lot of CdP any longer, but the 2004 was also quite tasty.

-Al

Another stunning 2007 CDP I had yesterday evening … served by a friend (bought on my recommendation a few years ago):
2007 Bois de Boursan Cuvee Felix
full saturated ruby, with quite an amount of Mourvedre and Syrah, Garrigue, mushrooms, beef blood, plums, chocolate, tar, very chewy and mouthfilling, long finish, great balance, nothing hot, tannic bite but very enjoyable, now until 2035+, 97p

Also the regular CDP 07 is fine, slightly more developed and traditional … the orange label “Versino” is the identical wine but often cheaper … and btw the 2019 is also great …

1 Like

Was a dinner of white fish involved, per chance?