TN: 2016 Arnot-Roberts Syrah Clary Ranch (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: 2016 Arnot-Roberts Syrah Clary Ranch (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

#1 Post by M. Dildine » September 15th, 2020, 4:02 pm

• 2016 Arnot-Roberts Syrah Clary Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (9/15/2020)
    12% abv. Dark ruby, expressive aromatics. On the palate, ripe plum, blueberry, black pepper, coffee grounds and licorice. Very intense, excellent depth, length and mouthfeel. This wine is just a baby and on a steep ascent. Even so, it is very enjoyable. Serious cool-climate Syrah. (95 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

MikeL238

Re: TN: 2016 Arnot-Roberts Syrah Clary Ranch (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

#2 Post by MikeL238 » September 15th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Not too young? Eyeing '17 at a local shop. Wonder how it compares to '16.
Mike Leigh

emile bond

Re: TN: 2016 Arnot-Roberts Syrah Clary Ranch (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

#3 Post by emile bond » September 15th, 2020, 10:26 pm

Amazing to see how iconic this vineyard/bottling has become. In 2004 vintage 2 friends and I purchased a half ton of Clary Ranch Syrah for $800. The Davies family made the connection for my friend as Schramsberg was buying Pinot Noir from the Clary Ranch for sparkling wine. If you use the Beckstoffer formula postulating retail bottle price being 1% of the cost of fruit by the ton, then Clary Ranch Syrah at that time was equivalent to a $16/bottle of wine at retail. I recall rains occurring during late September 2004, so grapes were picked in a rush and at like 22.5 brix at best. Because we were inexperienced and questioned the phenolic ripeness of the Clary fruit, we blended in up to 20% Saint Helena Cabernet(at like 28 brix) from Dr. Gold’s vineyard directly across from what was then restaurant Pinot Blanc and farmed by Jim Regusci. Ambient yeast fermentation, about 20% wholecluster for Syrah, 3 year used French oak, & bottles and cork from Napa Fermentation. Per Cellartracker it looks like Arnot Roberts first vintage with Clary Ranch was 2005. Amazing. Drank final Mag(from my 1/3) during early 2014 in celebration of moving into new home. Archived on Delectable under Dirt Floor Cellars. Great memories.

Return to “Wine Talk”