TN: 2018 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Clos du Bourg (France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Dale McClaran
Contributor
Contributor

TN: 2018 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Clos du Bourg (France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray)

#1 Post by Dale McClaran » September 15th, 2020, 8:45 am

• 2018 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Clos du Bourg - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (9/15/2020)
    Starts off with some very pronounced ginger and quince, quite exotic and perhaps a bit much in the early going. I served this too cold, as it warmed, more ‘Huety” stuff came out: mineral tension, saline misted acidity and an over all good focus. That being said, I don’t see this as a long term ager, one to enjoy in its first decade not two or three. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
GO HAWKS!

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2018 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Clos du Bourg (France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray)

#2 Post by Jayson Cohen » September 15th, 2020, 10:49 am

I am coincidentally drinking this wine this week too. I’ve had it open for a couple days and am down to my last glass for tonight.

I’ve found it quite stony and tense and like it but it is lacking a little bit of extract / structure and excitement in the midpalate. While I’m loathe to write off any Huet in terms of long term potential, I tend to agree with you that this is not the vintage to go deep on this sec.

I decided not to buy 2018 Le Mont DS for the cellar either. On trying a couple bottles over the last couple months, I decided instead to backfill more 2016 and wait for 2019, here now. (At some point I should just stop buying the young vintages. Maybe 2019 will be it given the old guard there is now gone entirely.)

Return to “Wine Talk”