TN: 2009 Cayuse Syrah En Chamberlin Vineyard

• 2009 Cayuse Syrah En Chamberlin Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (9/13/2020)
    Decanted 3 hrs. I have been drinking Cayuse since the 03 vintage, and with friends, family on the list or buying off my allocation, its always around my peeps. But as far as I can recollect, this was the first time I have ever just opened one by myself, and I’m glad I did as I think I would have had a much different opinion had I just drank a glass or so. The EC has always been the most wild and even feral of the Syrah line up and certainly the case here. Little fruit to be found on the first glass, all smoke, ash embers and animal fur and a saline quality - reminded me A LOT of the 13 Levet Chavaroche. By the 2nd glass, my palate had acclimated and blackberries had emerged, put the wine more in balance and at the end of the day, this was damn good. I had this watching Street Car last night, and I chuckled to myself that this was perhaps a domestic red Stanley Kowalski could get behind. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

A man with a very refined palate.

I had an '09 Armada a week ago that was amazing.

2009 Cayuse Syrah Armada Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (9/9/2020)
My first of these. WOW this wine was delicious. Concentrated fruit flavors enhanced by the elegance of age. Could not ask for more. thrilled to have a few more. Drink or hold. (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Surprises me not all Don, I think we both agree the Armada is the real gem (over the frog) of the Cayuse lineup. The 07 was the best domestic Syrah I have ever had.

I opened an 09 Cailloux a couple of weeks ago. Gave it about 3 hours of air. It was muted and never filled out over the course of
3 more hours. Thanks for that animal fur descriptor. I never would thought of that, but I agree it is there. It wasn’t bad. I just expected more.

Before I got on the list, I bought En Chamberlains when I could find them and always liked them, but after wishing for 10 years, I’ve never been offered any.

I know a 2005 Bionic Frog that will beg to differ!

Surprises me not all Don, I think we both agree the Armada is the real gem (over the frog) of the Cayuse lineup. The 07 was the best domestic Syrah I have ever had.

I should have saved the 2 2001 Frog’s and could have sold them for a mint today!