2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10325
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#1 Post by Scott Brunson » September 12th, 2020, 5:38 am

I’ve always been a big fan of 01s. I still have some bottles but wouldn’t mind backfilling others to toast them at age 20.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2364
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: Beaune, France & San Antonio, Texas

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#2 Post by William Kelley » September 12th, 2020, 5:39 am

Dujac and Chevillon are two that spring to mind immediately, without too much reflection....
The Wine Advocate

I Liu
Posts: 4
Joined: May 12th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#3 Post by I Liu » September 12th, 2020, 5:44 am

Just had a Mugnier Musigny 01 that was incredible.
Icy Liu

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19594
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#4 Post by Howard Cooper » September 12th, 2020, 6:36 am

Certainly Truchot. His 2001s are incredible.

Also, Clos des Lambrays, Bachelet and Rossignol-Trapet.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 6:58 pm
Location: Santa Monica

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#5 Post by Matthew King » September 12th, 2020, 8:24 am

I’ve always enjoyed the 01 Mugneret Gibourg wines. The CV is sublime right now.

But that’s like saying you like vintage Porsches or Hermès! No surprise.
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

David Kingsbury
Posts: 16
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#6 Post by David Kingsbury » September 12th, 2020, 8:27 am

Interesting topic as I have had and still a number of 01’s. Good to hear about Dujac doing well in 2001 as we have 1 bottle of Bonnes Mares. Any idea of drinking window for this typically masculine vineyard?
newhere ITB

User avatar
William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2364
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: Beaune, France & San Antonio, Texas

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#7 Post by William Kelley » September 12th, 2020, 8:47 am

David Kingsbury wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:27 am
Interesting topic as I have had and still a number of 01’s. Good to hear about Dujac doing well in 2001 as we have 1 bottle of Bonnes Mares. Any idea of drinking window for this typically masculine vineyard?
If it were mine, I would say wait another five or six years. If I were dining with you and you gave me free choice in your cellar, I might drink it tonight.
The Wine Advocate

David Kingsbury
Posts: 16
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#8 Post by David Kingsbury » September 12th, 2020, 9:54 am

Lol William. If ever we do have the opportunity to host you would gladly open for you. champagne.gif
newhere ITB

User avatar
Chris V.
Posts: 573
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 6:40 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#9 Post by Chris V. » September 12th, 2020, 10:30 am

Hubert Lignier
V a n d e r m a r e l

Mark Thompson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 173
Joined: April 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#10 Post by Mark Thompson » September 12th, 2020, 10:43 am

The 2001 Meo Clos Vougeot out of magnum was my Burgundy epiphany wine a couple of years ago. That has indirectly proven to be a REALLY expensive bottle for me—even though it was “free” (brought by someone else) at the time. Adrian was kind enough to bring another example to a dinner last year that was equally stunning - he put forth an interesting theory in his note about the interaction of the house style with a cooler vintage. I’ve also heard experienced tasters comments on how Meo really outperformed in 2001, though I haven’t personally tried any of the other wines. I had mentally filed it as something similar to the Jadot 1997 reputation, though I can’t say for sure how warranted that might be.

On a related and kind of coincidental note, I finally broke down last night and opened one of the most special (given my above history) bottles I own - a 1988 Meo Clos Vougeot. The nose was absolutely stunning, with tons of spice and mature dark fruit, as well as a hint of what I thought might be brett —though whatever this was seemed to blow off with air so perhaps not. Either way, the nose was super complex, though I felt the palate came off a tad rustic—not necessarily in a bad way—it was still nicely balanced and had decent length.

These old Meos are really difficult to track down. I picked up a 1988 Meo Boudots recently thinking that it (might?) have been the last year Jayer made that wine for the Meos. I think his contract ran through 1987, but I had read some comment from Jean-Nicolas Meo that his father had “worked something out” with Jayer in 1988 on those wines because J-N was still at UPenn until 1989. I’m not really sure though.

User avatar
William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2364
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: Beaune, France & San Antonio, Texas

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#11 Post by William Kelley » September 12th, 2020, 10:49 am

Mark Thompson wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 10:43 am
how Meo really outperformed in 2001
And they outperformed in 2003, too!

I have been buying more Méo for my own cellar recently. The wines just age so well...
The Wine Advocate

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13130
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#12 Post by alan weinberg » September 12th, 2020, 10:51 am

William Kelley wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:47 am
David Kingsbury wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:27 am
Interesting topic as I have had and still a number of 01’s. Good to hear about Dujac doing well in 2001 as we have 1 bottle of Bonnes Mares. Any idea of drinking window for this typically masculine vineyard?
If it were mine, I would say wait another five or six years. If I were dining with you and you gave me free choice in your cellar, I might drink it tonight.
let me know when you are in Orange County, CA. Love to have you over for dinner and open killer wines. With social distancing!

User avatar
Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1452
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 6:58 pm
Location: Santa Monica

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#13 Post by Matthew King » September 12th, 2020, 10:52 am

Chris V. wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 10:30 am
Hubert Lignier
Yes! A Lignier 01 MSD VV (baby CdlR) more than held its own with an 01 Dujac CdlR drunk side by side last year...
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

User avatar
William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2364
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: Beaune, France & San Antonio, Texas

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#14 Post by William Kelley » September 12th, 2020, 10:53 am

alan weinberg wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 10:51 am
William Kelley wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:47 am
David Kingsbury wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:27 am
Interesting topic as I have had and still a number of 01’s. Good to hear about Dujac doing well in 2001 as we have 1 bottle of Bonnes Mares. Any idea of drinking window for this typically masculine vineyard?
If it were mine, I would say wait another five or six years. If I were dining with you and you gave me free choice in your cellar, I might drink it tonight.
let me know when you are in Orange County, CA. Love to have you over for dinner and open killer wines. With social distancing!
That would be lots of fun - a project for 2021, I guess, the way 2020 is going... Happy to reciprocate in Beaune some time, needless to say.
The Wine Advocate

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4339
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#15 Post by Paul Jaouen » September 12th, 2020, 11:43 am

Dujac, Vogue, chevillon, Lignier
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1422
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 7:33 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#16 Post by Lee Short » September 12th, 2020, 12:11 pm

+1 on Chevillon and Mugneret-Gibourg. Based on few tastings, I think Gouges did well, too -- hard to say for sure at this point, since the wines need more time. About a year ago, a friend opened the 01 Gouges Clos des Porrets, and I felt it needed another 3+ years at that point but showed a lot of potential. All my 01 Gouges is LSG/Vaucrains, so I don't plan on opening one for a while.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19594
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#17 Post by Howard Cooper » September 12th, 2020, 2:34 pm

See a whole bunch of MSD wines on this list - Dujac, Lignier, Truchot, Lambrays. Now I am a huge fan of wines from MSD, so this does not really shock me in any vintage, but it is interesting here.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7589
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#18 Post by Nick Gangas » September 12th, 2020, 8:23 pm

William Kelley wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 5:39 am
Dujac and Chevillon are two that spring to mind immediately, without too much reflection....
What he said. Also Comte Armand Clos de Epeneaux.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5460
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#19 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » September 12th, 2020, 9:59 pm

Lambrays, Drc

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2612
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 5:12 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#20 Post by maureen nelson » September 13th, 2020, 6:32 am

Surprised no one has mentioned Rousseau.

I do love Truchot’s and MG’s 01s. Dujac too.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15025
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#21 Post by Jay Miller » September 13th, 2020, 7:33 am

Might be easier to ask if any usually good producers didn't make great wine in 2001.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19594
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#22 Post by Howard Cooper » September 13th, 2020, 10:54 am

Jay Miller wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 7:33 am
Might be easier to ask if any usually good producers didn't make great wine in 2001.
If so, they would probably be in Volnay. 2001 Volnays did not have a good reputation but the only ones I bought (d'Angerville Clos du Ducs) have turned out better than I thought they would and are excellent.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Joe D
Posts: 298
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#23 Post by Joe D » September 13th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 10:54 am
Jay Miller wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 7:33 am
Might be easier to ask if any usually good producers didn't make great wine in 2001.
If so, they would probably be in Volnay. 2001 Volnays did not have a good reputation but the only ones I bought (d'Angerville Clos du Ducs) have turned out better than I thought they would and are excellent.
Yes, wasn't there hail in 2001 in Volnay?
Cheers,
J o eD u r n e l l

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10325
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#24 Post by Scott Brunson » September 13th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Joe D wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 12:13 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 10:54 am
Jay Miller wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 7:33 am
Might be easier to ask if any usually good producers didn't make great wine in 2001.
If so, they would probably be in Volnay. 2001 Volnays did not have a good reputation but the only ones I bought (d'Angerville Clos du Ducs) have turned out better than I thought they would and are excellent.
Yes, wasn't there hail in 2001 in Volnay?
It’s why I’m looking at Nuits rather than CdB.
Thanks for great replies so far; I figured we would probably be rounding up the usual suspects.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Tom Blach
Posts: 2535
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#25 Post by Tom Blach » September 13th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Lafarge made fantastic 01s which should be fully mature by now.

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1567
Joined: October 30th, 2011, 6:31 am

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#26 Post by Joshua Kates » September 13th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Nick Gangas wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:23 pm
William Kelley wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 5:39 am
Dujac and Chevillon are two that spring to mind immediately, without too much reflection....
What he said. Also Comte Armand Clos de Epeneaux.
I have a couple of these, Nick,
Have you opened one recently? Is it showing well? I've been thinking that they may need more time.
Neils Bohr had a horseshoe over the door to his country house. A visiting student said to him: "you don't believe in that, do you?" Bohr replied, "of course not," and added, "but you don't have to believe in it for it to work."

User avatar
Jerry Hey
Posts: 1414
Joined: January 26th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#27 Post by Jerry Hey » September 13th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Alan - I'm available for that dinner with William Kelly....

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3820
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#28 Post by RyanC » September 13th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Many good ones obviously but the first two that sprang to mind were:

2001 Mugnier Musigny was one of my epiphany wines.

2001 Lambrays has always been delicious.
C@ughey

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15025
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#29 Post by Jay Miller » September 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 10:54 am
Jay Miller wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 7:33 am
Might be easier to ask if any usually good producers didn't make great wine in 2001.
If so, they would probably be in Volnay. 2001 Volnays did not have a good reputation but the only ones I bought (d'Angerville Clos du Ducs) have turned out better than I thought they would and are excellent.
Yes, but the OP specified CdN
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19594
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#30 Post by Howard Cooper » September 13th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 10:54 am
Jay Miller wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 7:33 am
Might be easier to ask if any usually good producers didn't make great wine in 2001.
If so, they would probably be in Volnay. 2001 Volnays did not have a good reputation but the only ones I bought (d'Angerville Clos du Ducs) have turned out better than I thought they would and are excellent.
Yes, but the OP specified CdN
But, your post didn't, at least as I understood it.
Last edited by Howard Cooper on September 14th, 2020, 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1539
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#31 Post by Tom Reddick » September 13th, 2020, 10:55 pm

I think the greatness of 2001 rests not only in its overall quality, but in the fact the wines showed at release a lot of nuance normally reserved for maturity- and in many cases have continued to do so. It is a perfect type of vintage for many of us- harmonious and complex wines with very generous drinking windows.

But as for "really killed it"- I take that to mean who made wines that would really stand out as incredible in a lineup with wines from other top vintages as well as 2001s- true standouts that you remember for the rest of your life.

I am hard pressed to think of a higher end 2001 that has disappointed, but in terms of "really killed it"- there are just three wines that come immediately to mind as among the finest vintages ever for those respective wines from their respective domaines. While 2001 is a gorgeous and harmonious vintage, I rarely think of it as legendary save for these three gems,

1. 2001 DRC Romanee St. Vivant
2. 2001 Grivot Richebourg
3. 2001 Roumier Charmes-Chambertin

Dujac Clos St. Denis and Clos de la Roche might belong on that list as well, but I have only had them once at release- and so cannot claim so based on personal experience. DRC Echezeaux comes really, really close.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

I Liu
Posts: 4
Joined: May 12th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#32 Post by I Liu » September 14th, 2020, 4:06 am

RyanC wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:17 pm
Many good ones obviously but the first two that sprang to mind were:

2001 Mugnier Musigny was one of my epiphany wines.

2001 Lambrays has always been delicious.
For me too on 01 Mugnier Musigny :)
Icy Liu

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15025
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#33 Post by Jay Miller » September 14th, 2020, 6:25 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 3:18 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 10:54 am


If so, they would probably be in Volnay. 2001 Volnays did not have a good reputation but the only ones I bought (d'Angerville Clos du Ducs) have turned out better than I thought they would and are excellent.
Yes, but the OP specified CdN
But, your post didn't, at least as I understood it.
It was implicit based on the thread title [pillow-fight.gif]
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
billnanson
Posts: 1474
Joined: October 22nd, 2010, 11:08 am
Location: Bern and Beaune

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#34 Post by billnanson » September 14th, 2020, 6:54 am

As no-one mentioned them - Clos du Tart - except for 05, may favourite of their wines from that decade
Burgundy Report - online since 2002...

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7589
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#35 Post by Nick Gangas » September 14th, 2020, 11:36 am

Joshua Kates wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 1:04 pm
Nick Gangas wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:23 pm
William Kelley wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 5:39 am
Dujac and Chevillon are two that spring to mind immediately, without too much reflection....
What he said. Also Comte Armand Clos de Epeneaux.
I have a couple of these, Nick,
Have you opened one recently? Is it showing well? I've been thinking that they may need more time.
Yes had one last year. For my taste they were drinking well.

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10325
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#36 Post by Scott Brunson » September 14th, 2020, 5:37 pm

billnanson wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 6:54 am
As no-one mentioned them - Clos du Tart - except for 05, may favourite of their wines from that decade
Nice
Haven’t had one in a while [cheers.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

emile bond
Posts: 92
Joined: March 20th, 2016, 10:16 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#37 Post by emile bond » September 15th, 2020, 9:49 am

Rousseau Beze is the best wine I have tasted from 2001 with Rousseau CSJ not far behind. The Beze is a sensational wine.

NJBruce
Posts: 348
Joined: October 17th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#38 Post by NJBruce » September 17th, 2020, 4:24 am

Hi Bill,
"[2001]..Clos du Tart - except for 05, may favourite of their wines from that decade"
- what do you make of Clos de Tart's 2008?
Nigel
Nigel Bruce
Hong Kong

User avatar
billnanson
Posts: 1474
Joined: October 22nd, 2010, 11:08 am
Location: Bern and Beaune

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#39 Post by billnanson » September 17th, 2020, 5:18 am

Hi Nigel
Aromatically lovely and generally better than 07 - but that's my experience 7 years ago - I've not tasted it since...
Burgundy Report - online since 2002...

NJBruce
Posts: 348
Joined: October 17th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Re: 2001 Côte de Nuits, which producers really killed it?

#40 Post by NJBruce » September 17th, 2020, 10:04 am

Bill,
Do post your mpressions when you get to re-try it. For me, this wine has a lightnes and elegance that bucked the usual late-picked, rather jammy Clos de Tart profile I found in a vertical with their winemaker at the time (2016]. Interestingly he had a soft spot for the 2008 too...
Nigel Bruce
Hong Kong

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”