Cali Cab producers who make fine Sauvignon Blanc

I know they’re out there. I’ve had a few (and probably posted on some) over the past few years. But let’s hear it from those who know.

Please offer the names of California producers of Cabernet Sauvignon who also produce fine Sauvignon Blanc, not difficult to source and moderately priced (let’s say $30 tops).

Ten years ago I started drinking Sauvignon Blanc, previously not a wine I enjoyed. I do not like most of the offerings from New Zealand, I hate grapefruit juice and anything that has any of those flavors and aromas does not do it for me. Aromas of grass, hay, lemon, lime, even cat pee (all in balance and moderation please) and especially wet stones and minerals are a pleasure.

Please name names.

Thank you.

Dan Kravitz

Riverain and Fleming both make SBs I enjoy.

Fan of Spottswoode, Heitz, Mondavi, Altamura. Was going to say Screaming Eagle, but they are just a tad north of $30! [wink.gif]

B. Buzzini wrote:
Fan of Spottswoode, Heitz, Mondavi, Altamura.

+1 on Spottswoode, but they are also north of $30, at least in the Bay Area. I would also recommend Frog’s Leap, Cliff Lede and Dry Creek.

Ed

I don’t drink much SB either but one I do like is Jean Edwards.

Massican is currently available at wine.com CA warehouse. This is the most mineral I have had so far and I enjoyed it.

Edit: also available at massican.com.

La Pelle…it’s a bit higher than your price point mentioned at $45 but I always really enjoy it.

Maybe not easily accessible but I really enjoy Becklyn’s SB.

Others that are easier to obtain that I enjoy are Cliff Lede, Groth, and Darioush.

Curious why only cab producers? Merry Edwards tops my list and can be found for low $30’s listed, and can be had under $30 with discounts.

I recently had a frogs leap and liked it, but didn’t compare to Merry Edwards for me.

Maze Clew SB is really good.

North of your price point, Realm Fidelio is really really good.

Second for Maze SB, no grapefruit, more on the tropical side

Second Jean Edwards!

Second on the Massican recommendation, best SB I’ve tasted in a long time. While the winery does not make cab, the owner/winemaker is also the winemaker at Larkmead if that is somehow relevant.

Kerr is best I’ve had.

Eisele

Third
I used to buy Rudd but the price became unbearable.
Becklyn is pretty good but I’m just buying the reds now.

Well…if $100<=$30? [wink.gif]

We had a lot of Cliff Lede SB this summer. I also enjoyed the Hall Knights Valley SB. Bevan was pretty good as well.

'fine" I am not sure, but I think Duckhorn does a pretty good S.B. at about $20

Cade and Quintessa are two fine cab producers who also make fine SB