wine.com delivery fail

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: wine.com delivery fail

#301 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

I love how eager Jeff is to help me make my selection, but if I ask him a question I am stuck in the support queue for an hour.

JonathanG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#302 Post by JonathanG »

I just checked my orders, I have several 2017 Bordeaux EP's coming in a few weeks and they are all showing up in my order history correctly, no need to click/back/click or anything like that. I also just clicked on one of my recent "completed" orders (which didn't have any of the shipping issues you guys were experiencing) and it also popped up without issue. Jeff seems to be popping up a bit more frequently though!
J0|\|@+h@|\| Gr@h/\/\/-\|\||\|

JBrochu

#303 Post by JBrochu »

Michae1 P0wers wrote: October 21st, 2020, 9:07 am A few days ago it would give me an error message when I clicked on "my orders" or a particular order. Each time simply backing out and clicking again resolved it. Chat feature is still there for me; still annoyingly pops up for "Jeff" to ask me if he can help me find a great wine. I'm good Jeff. I'm good.
Jeff is one hell of a worker. Hasn't had a day, an hour, or even a minute off all year.
J@hn

Dennis Atick
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#304 Post by Dennis Atick »

JBrochu wrote: October 21st, 2020, 10:29 am
Michae1 P0wers wrote: October 21st, 2020, 9:07 am A few days ago it would give me an error message when I clicked on "my orders" or a particular order. Each time simply backing out and clicking again resolved it. Chat feature is still there for me; still annoyingly pops up for "Jeff" to ask me if he can help me find a great wine. I'm good Jeff. I'm good.
Jeff is one hell of a worker. Hasn't had a day, an hour, or even a minute off all year.
I have told Jeff to stfu so many times in the past month. Always popping up offering to help me find great wine.
@decaturwinedude

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#305 Post by mmarcellus »

Yes, it appears that Clippy had a son and named him Jeff.
M @ r k

JBrochu

#306 Post by JBrochu »

Dennis Atick wrote: October 21st, 2020, 10:53 am
I have told Jeff to stfu so many times in the past month. Always popping up offering to help me find great wine.
Maybe they should send Jeff out back into the warehouse to help find the wine?
J@hn

Dennis Atick
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#307 Post by Dennis Atick »

JBrochu wrote: October 21st, 2020, 11:14 am
Dennis Atick wrote: October 21st, 2020, 10:53 am

Maybe they should send Jeff out back into the warehouse to help find the wine?
Least he could do is find some Krug that will ship to GA. [cheers.gif]
@decaturwinedude

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#308 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

mmarcellus wrote: October 21st, 2020, 11:08 am Yes, it appears that Clippy had a son and named him Jeff.
[rofl.gif]

The other good news is that for the first time ever I had a wine.com order automatically get credited on RMN. So I'm assuming the delayed shipping was the issue on my June and July orders, as the 45 days ran long before I had the orders set to ship, so I submitted them manually for credit before they had shipped. In the never-ending saga of how RMN calculates the cash back, this one gave me the cash back on the amount left after deducting the promo code amount from the subtotal. In the past, submitting it manually for credit, I've seen them come back on the full subtotal, the subtotal less the promo code, and the subtotal less the stewardship shipping "credit."

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#309 Post by mmarcellus »

mmarcellus wrote: October 17th, 2020, 9:19 am According to the rep, my (long delayed) order is scheduled to be shipped on Monday and I should see tracking information when it ships. When asked about why I was getting the error, the rep said it could be a "system glitch integration", and to try again in a couple hours. The most optimistic scenario is that once they pulled my order that has been in limbo, it no longer was accessible from the open order screen due to their system issues, and once Fed Ex gets it, all will be well. We'll see.
So nothing happened on Monday, and today I received a very apologetic e-mail from wine.com saying that "due to an error in our system we are unable to secure the inventory needed to complete your order." I am disappointed, since the order included this year's Clos de la Roilette Tardive at a good price even before the discount, but I'm not surprised. The blow was considerably softened by the $100 discount they are giving me on my next purchase, good through the end of the year.

It does look like they're starting to get a handle on their issues, in the NY warehouse anyway. I'm sure they've still got a long slog ahead of them, but hopefully they're past the worst.
M @ r k

cjsadler

#310 Post by cjsadler »

God help me, I was thinking about placing another order. However, this morning the 8 or 9 different wines I had in my cart as of last night are now all suddenly out of stock (NY warehouse). Some of these wines had several cases of inventory showing, so they still seem to be having some issues.

The good news is that my orders placed this summer keep showing up with the correct wines (NY warehouse). The shipments continue to go out on random dates, so not sure what's going on there (I had spread them out over late Oct - early Dec), but fortunately I've been home.
Chris Sadler

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#311 Post by JeremyMullman »

JeremyMullman wrote: October 20th, 2020, 8:55 pm Smooth Wine.com order —placed in August, shipped as scheduled- ruined by FedEx, which delivered my wine to ... someplace not my house. Sigh
Just fyi that Wine.com did the right thing here. While one of the two Carlisles -2018 Sierra Mar Syrah- is out of stock, they let me replace it with a 2016 Rosella’s (which was $2 more).

Nice service given the FedEx screw up.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#312 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Update - all in all a pretty good day!

You may recall that on Monday I got shipping notices for all of my orders that were scheduled to ship on Monday, but looking at the "details" on FedEx tracking showed many of them at way too low of a listed weight to be complete. A chat with customer service gave me more tracking numbers which weren't visible on the "order status" page of the wine.com website, but they still seem to be underweight. Well, they all arrived today and I guess the issue was with the weights reported to or by FedEx, as there were no bottles missing! So that is great for this first, and largest, tranche of my summer orders. I have some more set to ship each of the next two weeks, so we'll see how those go.

Everything is not perfect, however, and I'll list the issues here as an FYI but all in all I'm very relieved given the deals these were and the problems some others had.

My summary -

1) No orders shipped early during the heat. All (so far) shipped on exactly the correct day to arrive on the delivery date I had originally requested at the time I placed the orders. Great!

2) When I placed these orders, I assumed it would be plenty cool by now and also that I'd be back to working in the office by now. When I contacted them 2-3 weeks ago to request an address change to my home address and to postpone shipping by two more weeks just to be safe, I was told no dice - no changes to orders once the order has been "sent to the warehouse", and moreover their new system is setting up to prevent all changes to orders, period, once the order has been placed. So take that into account when ordering. But I was also told that I could wait until after they shipped and then contact wine.com to have them contact FedEx to re-route the shipment.

3) I contacted wine.com on Tuesday morning, once the tracking numbers were in the FedEx system, to have them rerouted. The process was quick and easy (one key being to get in the chat queue right at 7am CDT) and the agent said it was taken care of. BUT all of the orders in question arrived today at my office. Orders I'd placed more recently using my home address in the first place arrived here, of course. So I had to make an extra trip to pick up half my wines. I don't know if the issue here was on wine.com or on FedEx.

4) One wine which arrived today - of which I ordered two bottles - was the wrong vintage (newer instead of the vintage I ordered). It was one of the nicer wines I ordered, so one on which vintage is more important (not that it's ever unimportant). Moreover, the vintage I received is one I already have in the cellar, and the vintage I ordered is one I don't have, and now still don't have, in the cellar (though the "scores" for the vintage I received are a couple of points higher than for the vintage I ordered, so the error favored me in that respect). I'd rather have the vintage I ordered, but that vintage is no longer showing in stock on their website, and I'd rather have the bottles I got than my money back or store credit (assuming the refund would be at the post-coupon discounted price). So I'll just keep them. Everything else was complete and correct and all bottles appear to be in good shape - spinning capsules, no raised corks, no signs of seepage, or the like.

5) Of the orders still outstanding, I've had issues with two of them. On one, placed over the summer, they contacted me within just a couple of days to say that one of the wines I ordered wasn't actually available. I found a substitute and that was that. I received an e-mail confirming the revised order, and it showed all the wines, correct prices, correct coupon applied, etc. But later, when it was close to shipping time and I was worried about some of the issues from this thread, I checked the "order status" section of the website and it only showed the later-added wines, and didn't show any of the original wines (even the ones that weren't out of stock when they first contacted me). I got in the chat, and she figured out that someone on their end had messed the order up and deleted 3 bottles of one wine and one bottle of another even though they should have remained part of the order. She added the one back, but the other wine was NOW out of stock, so I didn't my 3 bottles of that one either - thus I ended up with two of the wines (five bottles total) from my original order being unavailable, one right away and one months later when I figured out they messed something up on my order page. So I substituted again, and this time she sent me a gift card because it was their error. So that was a nice resolution, as much as I'd like to have the wines I ended up missing out on. This order hasn't shipped yet, so we'll see what actually arrives - fingers crossed!

6) On the other, I just got an email this week about one wine being unavailable even though the order was placed 2-3 weeks ago. I did a substitution and the "order status" entry is now correct, so we'll see how that one is when it ships. It's a bit more frustrating to get an OOS e-mail so long after placing the original confirmed order compared with the other one when at least it was within a couple of days.

So, all in all, far from perfect but far from as bad as many of the horror stories others have experienced, and with Stewardship plus the coupon codes, raise, and RMN, I sill got 4+ cases of some great bottles at phenomenal prices. [cheers.gif]

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#313 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Another question - has anyone ever set up on of the "alert me when the new vintage is available" notifications on wine.com AND actually received a timely notification? I have a few set up for wines that haven't arrived, but I also had one set up for the 2018 Ridge Lytton Springs, which did arrive, and I never received a notification. So I'm curious about others' experiences.

Robert M yers

#314 Post by Robert M yers »

I received 3 cases of 2018 PYCM yesterday. One 6 pack was not sent but after inquiry they confirmed it would be sent next week.

Dennis_L

#315 Post by Dennis_L »

Seems liek slowly recovering, the handful of orders I've placed caught up. I was able to push back one order becuase it shipped during hot spell (wine.com updating FedEx) and one order (oldest) needed nudging twice before they shipped it out.
D3nn!s L ! u

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#316 Post by Philip G »

I've had no trouble with 4 of 5 orders over the last couple of months. The 5th order said it shipped, along with a tracking number, and said I had picked it up, which I had not. Called wine.com and they said they hadn't shipped it because one of the wines wasn't available, but now it was available and they would ship it out. Strange.
Chip G@@d

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#317 Post by mmarcellus »

The bad news is that my latest order was supposed to arrive today and hasn't shipped (NY warehouse). The good news is I did not have to wait to get on chat. The rep said the warehouse is behind schedule, but my order should ship. That's what I was told last time and the order was ultimately cancelled, so we'll see. However, I do get the sense that things are getting better. No doubt there are still systems issues, but it looks like they are learning how to deal with them.
M @ r k

frank n

#318 Post by frank n »

Wondering if wine.com is shipping those orders which the delivery dates were changed before.

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#319 Post by Arv R »

I'd placed this vendor in the penalty box for a few months while issues were occurring but can now report that an order placed on October 29, for scheduled delivery on November 2, arrived on time, with all items as it should be. I did make an effort to only select items that could ship the very next day. This was fulfilled out of their Westbury NY warehouse, via FedEx Ground.
R_@_0

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#320 Post by mmarcellus »

mmarcellus wrote: October 29th, 2020, 6:27 am The bad news is that my latest order was supposed to arrive today and hasn't shipped (NY warehouse). The good news is I did not have to wait to get on chat. The rep said the warehouse is behind schedule, but my order should ship. That's what I was told last time and the order was ultimately cancelled, so we'll see. However, I do get the sense that things are getting better. No doubt there are still systems issues, but it looks like they are learning how to deal with them.
Well, my wine did ship on Friday, scheduled to arrive on Saturday. It was a bit of an adventure, but it's unclear whether the problem originated with FedEx or wine.com. After FedEx's reported status showed that the wine was on the truck, there was a delivery exception due to a damaged package and the status was changed to return to warehouse. I assumed that was that, but then the FedEx truck showed up a couple hours later with the wine. However, it was in a FedEx carton, with the bottles wrapped in bubble wrap and thrown in the box, with one bottle from the order missing. The bottles that did arrive were in okay shape, there was tape residue on some of the bottles but I'll live with that. I got on chat to report the missing bottle - number 13 in the queue and had to wait about 40 minutes, but once I got the CS rep he immediately ordered a replacement, which arrived today.

So it's unclear whether it was bad packaging by wine.com or a screw up by FedEx, or both. In any event, I don't think it's smooth sailing yet at wine.com, but it looks like they are slowly righting the ship.
M @ r k

YLee

#321 Post by YLee »

I will never order from Wine.com again unless it can be shipped promptly.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#322 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Update on my orders - as previously mentioned, I placed several orders here and there from late may to early October and just to space deliveries out I had requested Oct. 23, Oct. 30, and Nov. 6 as the delivery date for various of them. I reported on the first tranche upthread. I'm pleased to report that the second tranche orders all arrived on Friday or today, and all are complete and appear to be in good condition, and the correct amounts were charged to my credit card when they shipped.

My attempt to redirect the ones that were placed for delivery to my office was once again a complete failure. Again, I don't know if this is on wine.com or FedEx (other than wine.com having their order system set up so that they can't change the shipping address after the order is placed but before it is shipped, which is clearly on wine.com).

In other news, one of the orders in the third tranche was placed on Oct. 9. On Oct. 16, they contacted me about one of the wines being out of stock and I substituted a different wine with the same price. I think I reported on that in my last update. Well, on Oct. 30, they contacted me again about another of the wines in the same order being out of stock and because that one was multiple bottles, and over half the order (in terms of bottle quantity) they just went ahead and canceled the order. So it would seem that perhaps that was a day when their systems "upgrade" was allowing the site to offer wines they'd already sold out of? In any event the e-mail also said I could contact them to set up a replacement order and they would "make it right." My main concern here was getting the benefit of the 50/150 deal I had on that order, since I could no longer use that code if I just started my own new order. I e-mailed back a proposed new order, asking that they apply the same promo code credit and heard - nothing. Which is odd, because whenever their CS has reached out to me by e-mail with a particular problem and I've responded by e-mail, I've always received prompt responses back and forth until the issue was finalized. Not this time. I let it go from noon Friday to 3:00 pm Monday, at which point I called the CS phone number instead. It took more time on my end than it would have by e-mail, but we got it worked out and they placed a new order on which they gave me the same deal I had on the prior order.

So, I'm still awaiting the third tranche, and while they aren't batting 1.000 on prompt responsiveness or in terms of fulfilling all of my orders as placed, with at least one "out of stock" notification only coming three weeks after placing the order, and a week before it was to ship, I also still have not had any large-scale problems with them not having the wines I ordered when it came time to ship, and again no issues with any of my orders suddenly shipping early during the heat. Also, on the fulfillment issues I've had, they've stepped up and provided an acceptable resolution.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#323 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

One other comment I meant to include above - there's been chatter here or in the other thread about whether StewardShip is a boon to them (like Prime is with Amazon) or whether they are taking a bath on it. Of course, I have no idea but I do note that I'm quite surprised that their model not only does not include combining small orders into a single larger shipment but it also seems to often include splitting 6-8-10 bottle orders into multiple smaller shipments. Whatever costs they are expending and whatever extra business they are generating, they could certainly save a bunch by shipping me one 12-bottle case rather than a 2, a 3, and a 7 in three different boxes, but I have to assume that their model says that going to the trouble to figure all that out would cost more than the FedEx savings. And from that I have to assume that the vast majority of their StewardShip members are asking for immediate delivery on all orders rather than piling them up during the summer and winter and shipping a whole bunch at the same time in the spring and fall, and folks like us are major outliers within their system.

bruced
GCC Member
GCC Member

#324 Post by bruced »

I had a couple of orders placed before the system upgrade. No major problems, but some hassles/delays/extra work like others have reported here. I placed an order recently to use 1 of the expiring on 10/30 coupons and had no issues. My shipments come from NY. It seems like the ERP problems are getting ironed out.
Slightly off topic, I do now schedule all my deliveries to a Fedex Onsite location. Earlier this year I had a couple of "alleged" attempts from them stating a signature could not be obtained, which is ridiculous since I'm WFH now. Plus my home office overlooks the street in front of my house so I can see any delivery trucks pull up. It appears to me that Fedex prioritizes the Onsite stops over residential. YMMV.
D r 3 n n i n 8

Larry Chmel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#325 Post by Larry Chmel »

3 FedX orders shipped shipped on 10/26 to my local Walgreens. I picked up one but the other 2 were returned to wine.com for some reason. FedX said the shipping address was the same as the shipper address on the paperwork (?). Contacted wine.com - we'll see what happens.

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#326 Post by Arv R »

bruced wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 6:55 pm
Slightly off topic, I do now schedule all my deliveries to a Fedex Onsite location. Earlier this year I had a couple of "alleged" attempts from them stating a signature could not be obtained, which is ridiculous since I'm WFH now. Plus my home office overlooks the street in front of my house so I can see any delivery trucks pull up. It appears to me that Fedex prioritizes the Onsite stops over residential. YMMV.
Both are pretty consistent in our area (onsite / resi) but I find that Resi is usually faster for getting deliveries. I wonder if there is some kind of daily max intake that Walgreens can support. When I have wine.com parcels sent there I notice a lot of other ones too, usually small onesy, twosey style packages.

I don't think they thought out the StewardShip thing super carefully. I suspect their strategy was: lets try it and check back in a year. If it doesn't work, or if they need to constrain it, they can make that decision with real data from their StewardShip customer base, rather than general guesstimates on their overall customer pool.

Still think Stewardship will end up like Moviepass. But will enjoy it while it lasts.
R_@_0

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#327 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

I mean Wine Library has a similar program, except it's $99/year instead of $49, so it's not exactly without precedent. It makes buying wine much more convenient and ultimately drives volume and repeat business. I admit sometimes I even buy wine at their inflated prices without a coupon just because it's easier than driving to the store.

I think the question is how much repeat business they will retain across their customer base once the coupons start drying up.

YLee

#328 Post by YLee »

Majority of wine drinkers or shoppers in general dont know the cheapest prices of merchandises. We are assuming that everyone shops for wines at lowest prices available and is knowledgeable about prices. ,
-¥ 0 ñ 9

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#329 Post by mmarcellus »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 1:23 pm I mean Wine Library has a similar program, except it's $99/year instead of $49, so it's not exactly without precedent. It makes buying wine much more convenient and ultimately drives volume and repeat business. I admit sometimes I even buy wine at their inflated prices without a coupon just because it's easier than driving to the store.

I think the question is how much repeat business they will retain across their customer base once the coupons start drying up.
Assuming they resolve their logistical issues they will probably keep me in Stewardship, though my purchase volume would go down. There are good deals to be found there, just not as many as when you're getting up to 40% off. And for some harder to find wines, the ability to get free shipping without having to order by the caseload often makes them worth it even at their regular prices. It helps that for me their NY warehouse is local, which means I always get overnight shipping.
M @ r k

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#330 Post by Arv R »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 1:23 pm I mean Wine Library has a similar program, except it's $99/year instead of $49, so it's not exactly without precedent. It makes buying wine much more convenient and ultimately drives volume and repeat business. I admit sometimes I even buy wine at their inflated prices without a coupon just because it's easier than driving to the store.

When I had LibraryPass it was $25/yr, and they blocked off a lot of wines from eligibility.

But Gary V runs a real business.
R_@_0

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#331 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Arv R wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 4:06 pm When I had LibraryPass it was $25/yr, and they blocked off a lot of wines from eligibility.

To be fair, the prices at wine.com are like 25% higher than Wine Library for most of the inventory. They've got fatty margins to spare.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#332 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

Arv R wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 4:06 pm

When I had LibraryPass it was $25/yr, and they blocked off a lot of wines from eligibility.

Ran. It’s a shadow of what it once was. Was definitely a good deal for the LP once upon a time. Some wines were blocked off but there were plenty of good deals to be had. I think the $25 was perhaps a Berserker day deal, down from $50.

adam caldwell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#333 Post by adam caldwell »

FWIW my Wine.com scheduled deliveries (8-10) were all sent out at the right time and correct bottles included. No issues.

AndrewH

#334 Post by AndrewH »

bruced wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 6:55 pm Slightly off topic, I do now schedule all my deliveries to a Fedex Onsite location. Earlier this year I had a couple of "alleged" attempts from them stating a signature could not be obtained, which is ridiculous since I'm WFH now. Plus my home office overlooks the street in front of my house so I can see any delivery trucks pull up. It appears to me that Fedex prioritizes the Onsite stops over residential. YMMV.
Are bogus FedEx non-deliveries a thing now? I had a delivery set for today, FedEx claims "customer not available", which wasn't true given my wife was home at the time. Plus, our security camera doesn't show anyone coming to the door around the time claimed (USPS did come later). Haven't had that happen before, but apparently it does?

(Not a wine.com order).
Andrew H e i m e r t

Robert M yers

#335 Post by Robert M yers »

It’s been a problem for me for several years in reality, must just be the driver and how far behind they are. It’s seems like those employees are basically running the whole time anymore. I imagine they get behind, drive the truck to the location so the gps registers and bolt?

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#336 Post by AAgrawal »

AndrewH wrote: November 10th, 2020, 8:08 pm
bruced wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 6:55 pm Slightly off topic, I do now schedule all my deliveries to a Fedex Onsite location. Earlier this year I had a couple of "alleged" attempts from them stating a signature could not be obtained, which is ridiculous since I'm WFH now. Plus my home office overlooks the street in front of my house so I can see any delivery trucks pull up. It appears to me that Fedex prioritizes the Onsite stops over residential. YMMV.
Are bogus FedEx non-deliveries a thing now? I had a delivery set for today, FedEx claims "customer not available", which wasn't true given my wife was home at the time. Plus, our security camera doesn't show anyone coming to the door around the time claimed (USPS did come later). Haven't had that happen before, but apparently it does?

(Not a wine.com order).
Yes, happening all the time now. Usually right at around 7 or 8pm. I also have a nest camera and no one tried to deliver, and no door tags. Particularly annoying since they no longer redeliver the next day... they automatically re-route to a nearby fedex store for pickup. There's also no recourse, as no one in customer service cares.
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

Mike Wenzel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#337 Post by Mike Wenzel »

(Not a wine.com order).
Happens to me all the time. I just have wine directly sent to the local FedEx store at this point.

YLee

#338 Post by YLee »

(Not a wine.com order).
I hate FedEx. I always ask if a shop can ship via UPS or other carriers. If not, I always have FedEx deliver to a pickup location. Even then they manage to f*ck something up time to time.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#339 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I prefer Fedex; lately the drivers have just been leaving most packages without sig; I’ve been having most put in Walgreens if high value.

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#340 Post by Philip G »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: November 11th, 2020, 5:23 am I prefer Fedex; lately the drivers have just been leaving most packages without sig; I’ve been having most put in Walgreens if high value.
I prefer Fedex as well. Can ship for free to a Fedex store or a pickup spot and since I'm working from home they will also leave at home without a signature. UPS still requires delivery to someone at the door or $5 per box to pick up from UPS store. Fedex did deliver 3 wine.com boxes to someone several blocks away and while I was on the phone with Fedex trying to find where the wines were the neighbor pulled up and delivered them, which was very nice of them!
Chip G@@d

AndrewH

#341 Post by AndrewH »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: November 11th, 2020, 5:23 am I prefer Fedex; lately the drivers have just been leaving most packages without sig; I’ve been having most put in Walgreens if high value.

Yeah, I've preferred them because they have a store close by that I can redirect to, which I did before COVID/WFH, vs. UPS, which charges and doesn't have a place close for wine. But haven't encountered the ghost delivery before. Haven't had an automatic redirect . . . yet.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#342 Post by Steve Gautier »

(Not a wine.com order).
I have wine delivered to a FedEx store or regional UPS Center but this happens to us regularly with other FedEx deliveries which do not require a signature.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

bruced
GCC Member
GCC Member

#343 Post by bruced »

Steve Gautier wrote: November 11th, 2020, 6:51 am

(Not a wine.com order).
I have wine delivered to a FedEx store or regional UPS Center but this happens to us regularly with other FedEx deliveries which do not require a signature.
This. My wife does quite a bit of online shopping. She routinely gets emails that her package is out for delivery, but it doesn't happen that day. It is not unique to FedEx for us. I think the pandemic has overwhelmed the shipping companies & Amazon a bit. I only care about the wine riding around in a truck an extra day. :)
D r 3 n n i n 8

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#344 Post by Steve Gautier »

I understand how overwhelmed they are. I just wish they would be honest and say hey we just couldn’t get it there today.

AndrewH

#345 Post by AndrewH »

Steve Gautier wrote: November 11th, 2020, 9:00 am I understand how overwhelmed they are. I just wish they would be honest and say hey we just couldn’t get it there today.
Yeah, that's all I"m asking for. Don't give me a bogus "customer not home" answer.

Not for wine, but I think I've gotten a message like "driver delayed; will deliver tomorrow"
Andrew H e i m e r t

Dennis Atick
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#346 Post by Dennis Atick »

+ 10000 for Fedex. Being able to reroute packages in transit to a different locations is A+. No idea why UPS refuses to do this. I have wine coming from UPS tomorrow and cannot do anything to amend the delivery until one attempt at delivery is made.
@decaturwinedude

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#347 Post by Arv R »

Its a fraud issue, and redirects are a way to circumvent one defense some merchants use (ship to and bill address need to be the same).

I actually had to go into the post office last week and fill out some forms to get deliveries (vis USPS) since there has been some issues at the address (previously).

=====

And as long as we're talking about delivery issues, I placed an order on Nov 8 for delivery on Nov 12. Only chose items that were in stock and could ship next day, which meant I had to pass on a couple items I would have liked. Everything was shipped from NY warehouse and arrived a day early today on Nov 11, which was actually not a good thing, but I was home. No drivers have checked anything at all.

At this point, it seems to me that the delivery fails are likely over for people who can keep to simple stuff (avoiding hold to ships, sticking to things that are truly in stock now, no prearrivals etc.) so I won't report on routine 'everything went ok' events. (I don't consider an early delivery anything that the merchant has much control over).
R_@_0

AndrewH

#348 Post by AndrewH »

Arv R wrote: November 11th, 2020, 10:59 am Its a fraud issue, and redirects are a way to circumvent one defense some merchants use (ship to and bill address need to be the same).

I actually had to go into the post office last week and fill out some forms to get deliveries (vis USPS) since there has been some issues at the address (previously).
But FedEx seems to be able to address that fraud pretty effectively given they allow redirects to FedEx stores, where they check ID (though not sure if it's to confirm age/name or also address).

Anyway, my assumption is that FedEx does it because they have a network of company stores as a result of the Kinkos acquisition. UPS doesn't have it's own network, but rather franchisees, and it's harder to deal with them.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Steve Gautier
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#349 Post by Steve Gautier »

When did wine.com start buying private collections? Is this new or did I miss it before? Lots of 2008 Carlisle when I clicked through the email link today.

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#350 Post by mmarcellus »

AndrewH wrote: November 11th, 2020, 1:34 pm
Arv R wrote: November 11th, 2020, 10:59 am Its a fraud issue, and redirects are a way to circumvent one defense some merchants use (ship to and bill address need to be the same).

But FedEx seems to be able to address that fraud pretty effectively given they allow redirects to FedEx stores, where they check ID (though not sure if it's to confirm age/name or also address).

Anyway, my assumption is that FedEx does it because they have a network of company stores as a result of the Kinkos acquisition. UPS doesn't have it's own network, but rather franchisees, and it's harder to deal with them.
Actually, UPS will automatically redirect shipments to UPS stores if you have a UPS My Choice account. But they won't do it for alcohol, that causes an exception.
M @ r k

Return to “Wine Talk”