Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: wine.com delivery fail

#201 Post by DanielP » September 29th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Tyler F. wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 4:26 pm
What bottles is everyone actually ordering off wine.com to have these issues? Every time I checking pricing, so many other sites are at least 5-10% cheaper than wine.com, so struggling with what to buy, even with discounts.
It's state dependent, but in NY, Krug GC halves for 90 were a great deal when the 100 off 300 was going on (plus whatever Rakuten cashback)
P@ik

JBrochu

#202 Post by JBrochu » September 29th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Brian Pinci wrote:
I was so worried after reading all these posts because I placed about nine orders over the summer for some expensive bottles that I really wanted. When the weather got nicer, I got on the chat and got a hold of someone in 5 minutes. They took the hold off and set a ship date for me. All The wines arrived only a day late (today) and looked to be in great condition. And a bunch of cash backs showed up in my Rakuten account. The charges are all correct on my credit card, too. I guess I lucked out.
I wonder if they have a tighter control on expensive bottles? Most of the bottles on my 15 orders were gone, but for the most part they were all $25 to $45 bottles with a few slightly higher.
J@hn

JBrochu

#203 Post by JBrochu » September 29th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Tyler F. wrote:
What bottles is everyone actually ordering off wine.com to have these issues? Every time I checking pricing, so many other sites are at least 5-10% cheaper than wine.com, so struggling with what to buy, even with discounts.
If they charge 10% more but you have a 33% off coupon plus free shipping you can get some pretty good deals. Especially if you also targeted wines that were on sale.
J@hn

Chris Crutchfield

#204 Post by Chris Crutchfield » September 29th, 2020, 4:57 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 3:44 pm
I predict a liquidity crunch.
I did think this as well, given their recent announcement of trying to raise money (coffers running dry after the massive user acquisition campaign?). It's a rather suspicious time to have a lot of fulfillment issues that have lasted for, what, almost a month now? Surely no IT-related issues could possibly last that long.

However, I haven't seen a lot of other evidence that would suggest this is the case... I am starting to get nervous about my 2019 Bordeaux futures though... didn't think I'd have to factor counterparty risk into my futures decisions.

Victor Hong

#205 Post by Victor Hong » September 29th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 4:57 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 3:44 pm
I predict a liquidity crunch.
I did think this as well, given their recent announcement of trying to raise money (coffers running dry after the massive user acquisition campaign?). It's a rather suspicious time to have a lot of fulfillment issues that have lasted for, what, almost a month now? Surely no IT-related issues could possibly last that long.

However, I haven't seen a lot of other evidence that would suggest this is the case... I am starting to get nervous about my 2019 Bordeaux futures though... didn't think I'd have to factor counterparty risk into my futures decisions.
Because of all these discount coupons to new customers and credit balances to existing customers, the net cashflow from delivered inventory sales may be not only unprofitable, but surprisingly small.

If I were you, I would demand that the merchant IMMEDIATELY either deliver the outstanding goods or refund their purchase amounts (not credits for future purchases). Sooner is better than later, especially if the concept of Preference Payment means anything.
WineHunter.

J_Weber

#206 Post by J_Weber » September 29th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Tyler F. wrote:
Not many other sites will ship to my state (Indiana), and I'm a StewardShip member, so with my limited options Wine.com usually comes out at as the best one. I will order off First Bottle or WA if they have something good, but I haven't found WA to be that much better than Wine.com's prices. Eventually Indiana will get a Total Wine so that will open things up considerably. I live in the NW part of the state (basically Chicagoland) and Binny's will not ship here, so if I want to shop there I typically have to drive a long way in traffic or take the train into the Chicago Loop because there are no Binny's locations near the state line. There is a Costco here, but I haven't been super impressed with their selection other than for the most daily of daily drinkers.

Wine.com will allow me to ship to a Walgreens on the Illinois side too, so I can have access to the vastly greater selection of wines shipping from the CA warehouse. The only independent wine shops worth patronizing in Indiana are almost entirely in greater Indianapolis, which is 150+ miles away, and the new Total Wine will be going there too.
- Jan Weber

Victor Hong

#207 Post by Victor Hong » September 29th, 2020, 6:31 pm

J_Weber wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 5:41 pm
Delete your details, unless you wish hassles.
WineHunter.

J_Weber

#208 Post by J_Weber » September 29th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 6:31 pm
J_Weber wrote:
What details exactly? My situation is pretty much the same as the other 800K people living in this part of Indiana.
- Jan Weber

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by AD Northup » September 29th, 2020, 8:02 pm

J_Weber wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 7:40 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
J_Weber wrote:
What details exactly? My situation is pretty much the same as the other 800K people living in this part of Indiana.
Probably the crossing of state borders part (hypothetically circumventing your home states rightfully earned sales tax collections?)
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Victor Hong

#210 Post by Victor Hong » September 29th, 2020, 8:10 pm

J_Weber wrote:
Victor Hong wrote:
J_Weber wrote:
Send this thread to IN tax collectors and alcohol regulators. They will send you a Wine.com discount coupon.
WineHunter.

Chris Crutchfield

#211 Post by Chris Crutchfield » September 29th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 5:09 pm
Because of all these discount coupons to new customers and credit balances to existing customers, the net cashflow from delivered inventory sales may be not only unprofitable, but surprisingly small.

If I were you, I would demand that the merchant IMMEDIATELY either deliver the outstanding goods or refund their purchase amounts (not credits for future purchases). Sooner is better than later, especially if the concept of Preference Payment means anything.
Not sure what I can do other than ask them to cancel my futures orders. Any other pending orders haven't been charged to my card yet, I believe.

If we start to see more signs of something bad impending, I may start to agitate to cancel the orders.

Victor Hong

#212 Post by Victor Hong » September 29th, 2020, 8:40 pm

Contact your CC company about non-delivery of paid goods and CS non-responses.

Document everything and create a timeline, as I did with the RBS bank fraud and collapse.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#213 Post by Victor Hong » September 30th, 2020, 4:28 am

The TrustPilot reviews have become more intense and detailed. In my opinion, based on posts there and here, the merchant seems increasingly and knowingly to ship partial orders as full ones, in order to charge customers fully.

In general, if some merchant is posting full revenues on partially delivered sales, that may boost its reported cashflow or income, but only until the music of incoming online orders halts. Many companies, such as Enron, Tyco, and Phar-Mor, have failed this way.

If you have no paid-for yet un-delivered goods, ask your credit-card company to block such a merchant in question. Otherwise, if the merchant later charges your account without warrant, goes bankrupt, and then refunds the charge, a bankruptcy court can claw back that amount as a Preference Payment, leaving you with no goods yet less money. Many people lost out this way, in the Premier Cru and Carolina Wine Company bankruptcies.
WineHunter.

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#214 Post by Philip G » September 30th, 2020, 5:55 am

JBrochu wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 4:42 pm
Tyler F. wrote:
If they charge 10% more but you have a 33% off coupon plus free shipping you can get some pretty good deals. Especially if you also targeted wines that were on sale.
Yes, some great deals. I only order when I want it shipped immediately and they don't seem to have a problem. Shipping immediately also triggers the RMN cash back and you don't have to go in later and request it.
Chip G@@d

JBrochu

#215 Post by JBrochu » September 30th, 2020, 6:55 am

Philip G wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 5:55 am
JBrochu wrote:
Tyler F. wrote:
Yes, some great deals. I only order when I want it shipped immediately and they don't seem to have a problem. Shipping immediately also triggers the RMN cash back and you don't have to go in later and request it.
I would be careful with that strategy right now. Read the reviews on TrustPilot that Victor mentioned a couple of posts up. They are clearly failing with everything right now, including run-of-the-mill immediate shipments of supposedly in stock items.
J@hn

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Philip G » September 30th, 2020, 7:00 am

JBrochu wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 6:55 am
Philip G wrote:
JBrochu wrote:

I would be careful with that strategy right now. Read the reviews on TrustPilot that Victor mentioned a couple of posts up. They are clearly failing with everything right now, including run-of-the-mill immediate shipments of supposedly in stock items.
I've had hundreds of shipments with no problems, including over the last month, so not failing with everything. Not worried about it with the protection from my CC. Ordering futures from them would not be a good idea.
Chip G@@d

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#217 Post by Dave McIsaac » September 30th, 2020, 7:12 am

Victor Hong wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 4:28 am
The TrustPilot reviews have become more intense and detailed. In my opinion, based on posts there and here, the merchant seems increasingly and knowingly to ship partial orders as full ones, in order to charge customers fully.

In general, if some merchant is posting full revenues on partially delivered sales, that may boost its reported cashflow or income, but only until the music of incoming online orders halts. Many companies, such as Enron, Tyco, and Phar-Mor, have failed this way.
Boost income yes, cashflow no
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

JBrochu

#218 Post by JBrochu » September 30th, 2020, 7:14 am

Philip G wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 7:00 am
JBrochu wrote:
Philip G wrote:

I've had hundreds of shipments with no problems, including over the last month, so not failing with everything. Not worried about it with the protection from my CC. Ordering futures from them would not be a good idea.
I didn't mean that they were failing with every single order, although I see how it could be read that way. I meant that they are not just failing with futures and with orders placed with delivery holds. They are clearly also failing with standard orders at the moment. Mostly with delays and shipping a lot of partial orders as complete but charging for the entire order.

If you don't mind the risk of having to deal with a big mess, go for it.
J@hn

Victor Hong

#219 Post by Victor Hong » September 30th, 2020, 7:22 am

champagne.gif [popcorn.gif]
WineHunter.

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by Philip G » September 30th, 2020, 9:02 am

JBrochu wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 7:14 am
Philip G wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 7:00 am
JBrochu wrote:

I didn't mean that they were failing with every single order, although I see how it could be read that way. I meant that they are not just failing with futures and with orders placed with delivery holds. They are clearly also failing with standard orders at the moment. Mostly with delays and shipping a lot of partial orders as complete but charging for the entire order.

If you don't mind the risk of having to deal with a big mess, go for it.
I understand people are freaking out who ordered with a requested fall delivery date and they shipped in the summer, that would be a big mess and would suck to have to deal with that. I only order from them after checking the weather on my route and request immediate shipment and only a couple of bottles at a time so not a lot of money or emotional investment.
Chip G@@d

Victor Hong

#221 Post by Victor Hong » October 4th, 2020, 7:08 am

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.wine.com

Reviewers are now describing a “zombie” site. The CC charges pile up but the actual home deliveries do not.

Time to look up Ponzi......Wine, that is.
WineHunter.

Chris Crutchfield

#222 Post by Chris Crutchfield » October 4th, 2020, 9:35 am

I mentioned this in the other thread, but additional warning signs are:

* No big end-of-quarter coupon code push for Q3. The previous 3 quarters have all had massive coupon code campaigns to drive additional user acquisitions and sales. This one was relatively tame by comparison
* Inventory on the site is really lacking in the past month. It's a struggle to even find something worth buying.

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#223 Post by Dave H. » October 4th, 2020, 10:36 am

Not so much a fail as an irritation, but I had a cold pack leak and deface a couple of labels in a recent shipment. No big deal--the wines are for personal consumption and about $35 each, but still. I sent the a note alerting them--saying I wasn't looking for a refund or discount, because I'm really not, but just an fyi that this was unfortunate. No response.
Hendrik

Victor Hong

#224 Post by Victor Hong » October 4th, 2020, 10:45 am

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 9:35 am

* No big end-of-quarter coupon code push for Q3. The previous 3 quarters have all had massive coupon code campaigns to drive additional user acquisitions and sales. This one was relatively tame by comparison
* Inventory on the site is really lacking in the past month. It's a struggle to even find something worth buying.
In my opinion, sparse retailer inventory can indicate that unpaid wholesalers are refusing to ship replenishments, in general. That helped bring down Phar-Mor, a textbook case of business fraud.
WineHunter.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#225 Post by Michae1 P0wers » October 4th, 2020, 11:22 am

Chris Crutchfield wrote:

I suspect they've prioritized addressing their recent issues over restocking inventory. I've taken delivery of two cases in the past two weeks; everything in perfect order. Placed an order too, despite the concerns raised here. All daily drinkers, so no big exposure. With 50 off 200, +RMN, + raise, it all comes down to about 65% of full ask and some very good deals. These were things I've purchased before and thought to be well worth reordering.

Despite the more apocalyptic predictions of some in this thread, they'll likely right the ship. If the better coupons go away I won't buy much from them, or reorder the stewardship, but I rather doubt they're going out of business. It's almost as if some posters here having nothing better to do than hope for businesses to fail. It seems in very poor taste, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#226 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 4th, 2020, 11:31 am

The inventory on stuff that I like has dwindled to almost nothing. Not even work looking anymore. Not a comment on whether they succeed or fail, just commenting on the value to me as a buyer.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

patrick c albright
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#227 Post by patrick c albright » October 4th, 2020, 11:50 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 11:22 am
Chris Crutchfield wrote:

I suspect they've prioritized addressing their recent issues over restocking inventory. I've taken delivery of two cases in the past two weeks; everything in perfect order. Placed an order too, despite the concerns raised here. All daily drinkers, so no big exposure. With 50 off 200, +RMN, + raise, it all comes down to about 65% of full ask and some very good deals. These were things I've purchased before and thought to be well worth reordering.

Despite the more apocalyptic predictions of some in this thread, they'll likely right the ship. If the better coupons go away I won't buy much from them, or reorder the stewardship, but I rather doubt they're going out of business. It's almost as if some posters here having nothing better to do than hope for businesses to fail. It seems in very poor taste, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Do you think that you paying 65% “of full ask” is really realistic for long term viability?

And, are you still a customer at 85% “of full ask”?
ITB

JBrochu

#228 Post by JBrochu » October 4th, 2020, 12:25 pm

patrick c albright wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 11:50 am
I'm not. IMO 85% of their list pricing for much of their catalogue is higher than other retailers. (There are probably some exceptions, but in general I think they are significantly overpriced for most of their offerings.)

I do hope they turn things around though. I don't do all my purchasing through them, but I did order a couple of hundred bottles over the past 2 years. If they fix things, I will start ordering again, assuming I can get fair pricing. (And that can be through sales, discount codes, or a change to their list pricing - doesn't matter to me.)
J@hn

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#229 Post by Michae1 P0wers » October 4th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Do you think that you paying 65% “of full ask” is really realistic for long term viability?

As to question #1, I have no idea. Surely not if that discount was offered across the board, but I really doubt most of their buyers are going to that much trouble. I have no idea whether the extent of discounts offered this year is something they ever intended to continue long term or merely something they are doing to generate new business.

As to question #2, the answer is, "it depends." For some wines I'd be likely be a buyer at 85%, especially considering basically free shipping. There are wines that I've bought from them, and really enjoy, where their price was comparable to or better than anyone else. There are also many where they were not competitive without a deep discount. So with stewardship and a lesser discount I'd still consider buying some wines, but not others.

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#230 Post by mmarcellus » October 6th, 2020, 7:51 am

As I detailed in the other thread, I placed an order from the NY warehouse with wine.com last Friday. The order went through with a scheduled ship date of Monday. Based on past experience, this was unusual. In the past, orders for anything other than pre-arrival wines would ship the next day, even on the weekend. When I checked again on Monday, my ship date had been changed to Wednesday. I checked other inventory on their site, and everything now had an available date of Wednesday. I have checked again today, and the available date for everything on the site is now Friday.

As I said before, the obvious inference on Monday was that they had originally frozen all shipping through the weekend to fix their systems issues, things did not go well, and they were forced to push availability out to Wednesday. I think we can infer today that things have gotten no better, and have probably gotten worse. IMO, the other issues regarding the lack of discount codes, stagnant inventory, etc. can all be traced back to the fact that they have had a major systems failure, with no indication as to when, or if, it will be repaired. That's not a minor issue. It could be a company killer, but I think it's that simple. They either fix this, and survive (if it's not already too late) or they don't and they go under.
M @ r k

Mike C.

#231 Post by Mike C. » October 6th, 2020, 12:13 pm

mmarcellus wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 7:51 am
As I detailed in the other thread, I placed an order from the NY warehouse with wine.com last Friday. The order went through with a scheduled ship date of Monday. Based on past experience, this was unusual. In the past, orders for anything other than pre-arrival wines would ship the next day, even on the weekend. When I checked again on Monday, my ship date had been changed to Wednesday. I checked other inventory on their site, and everything now had an available date of Wednesday. I have checked again today, and the available date for everything on the site is now Friday.

As I said before, the obvious inference on Monday was that they had originally frozen all shipping through the weekend to fix their systems issues, things did not go well, and they were forced to push availability out to Wednesday. I think we can infer today that things have gotten no better, and have probably gotten worse. IMO, the other issues regarding the lack of discount codes, stagnant inventory, etc. can all be traced back to the fact that they have had a major systems failure, with no indication as to when, or if, it will be repaired. That's not a minor issue. It could be a company killer, but I think it's that simple. They either fix this, and survive (if it's not already too late) or they don't and they go under.
Also placed an order last week out of the NY warehouse for a few wines (very new inventory that did not even have a label photo when I ordered) to be delivered today. No shipment yet. Not futures so no charge until shipment so it either comes or it doesn’t, no big deal.
h@0

Victor Hong

#232 Post by Victor Hong » October 6th, 2020, 4:53 pm

All this could be a systems problem, a shipping logistics problem, an inventory problem, or a cashflow problem,.........or all of them.
The company has been so silent.
WineHunter.

Chris Crutchfield

#233 Post by Chris Crutchfield » October 6th, 2020, 5:18 pm

mmarcellus wrote:
I have seen this happen in the past (the good old days pre-IT mishaps). They sell inventory out of the NY warehouse that is not yet present there, but on order. I assume that it is being shipped from a distributor or from one of their other warehouses to NY. Most likely they just have some delays in moving around inventory, but it could be a sign of some of the broader dysfunction. Not sure. Were you charged for your order?

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#234 Post by mmarcellus » October 6th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 5:18 pm
mmarcellus wrote:
I have seen this happen in the past (the good old days pre-IT mishaps). They sell inventory out of the NY warehouse that is not yet present there, but on order. I assume that it is being shipped from a distributor or from one of their other warehouses to NY. Most likely they just have some delays in moving around inventory, but it could be a sign of some of the broader dysfunction. Not sure. Were you charged for your order?
I wasn't charged, there's just a pending charge that won't go through until they ship. And this isn't a matter of some inventory not being present, they're putting a shipping hold on all inventory. First until Wednesday, now until Friday.
M @ r k

Victor Hong

#235 Post by Victor Hong » October 6th, 2020, 5:28 pm

mmarcellus wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 5:26 pm
Chris Crutchfield wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 5:18 pm
mmarcellus wrote:

I wasn't charged, there's just a pending charge that won't go through until they ship. And this isn't a matter of some inventory not being present, they're putting a shipping hold on all inventory. First until Wednesday, now until Friday.
If a retailer has customer cash and still has not delivered the purchased wine, you wonder if the same items have been sold more than once, to generate cash.
WineHunter.

Chris Crutchfield

#236 Post by Chris Crutchfield » October 6th, 2020, 5:48 pm

mmarcellus wrote:
Got it. I actually see Monday now for all inventory (my warehouse is NY too). If I switch to CA it's the same, so it's not just the NY warehouse. Could be they are trying the Big Red Button approach to un-f*ck their operational issues. I guess we'll find out soon.

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#237 Post by mmarcellus » October 7th, 2020, 5:02 am

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 5:48 pm
mmarcellus wrote:
Got it. I actually see Monday now for all inventory (my warehouse is NY too). If I switch to CA it's the same, so it's not just the NY warehouse. Could be they are trying the Big Red Button approach to un-f*ck their operational issues. I guess we'll find out soon.
Yup, it's now pushed to Monday. Apparently this affects the NY and CA warehouses according to this e-mail I got from them last night:

We are very sorry your order is late. Orders coming from our New York and California warehouses are currently experiencing delays. We’re working to get these orders out as quickly as possible and will send you a shipping confirmation email when your order is on its way.

Please note that we will not charge your credit card until your order ships. If you have questions about temporary holds on your credit card, or other billing and delivery questions, please see our FAQs.

If you no longer wish to receive this order due to the delay, we will be happy to cancel it for you. Please send an email to cs@wine.com with your order number in the following subject line: “Delayed Order # - Cancel.” Please be aware that given the volume of inbound emails, we may not be able to process your request until after the order has shipped. If that occurs, we will initiate the return when your request is processed.

Our first priority is to ensure we take care of this order for you – either getting it to you quickly, or canceling it for you. Once we have rectified this situation we would like to make this up to you and will follow-up at that time.

Re their 3rd paragraph, and to Victor's comment above, they do not have my money. It's a pending charge, which means it has not gone through and they have not received any cash. In fairness to them, that's been true of all orders that have been held up during this mess. I have never had a charge go through until the wine was handed off to FedEx.
M @ r k

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#238 Post by Philip G » October 7th, 2020, 6:15 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 1:16 pm

As to question #1, I have no idea. Surely not if that discount was offered across the board, but I really doubt most of their buyers are going to that much trouble. I have no idea whether the extent of discounts offered this year is something they ever intended to continue long term or merely something they are doing to generate new business.

As to question #2, the answer is, "it depends." For some wines I'd be likely be a buyer at 85%, especially considering basically free shipping. There are wines that I've bought from them, and really enjoy, where their price was comparable to or better than anyone else. There are also many where they were not competitive without a deep discount. So with stewardship and a lesser discount I'd still consider buying some wines, but not others.
I've got a spreadsheet with a few hundred of their wines compared to WSP over the past year which I've used for choosing wines. On average they are about 19% over WSP low price. About 1/3 of the wines are <115% of WSP low. So 85% with free shipping can get some OK deals but not worth re-upping Stewardship for me given their uninspiring inventory of late. There have been some nice deals on Brunello lately, though, which I've taken advantage of.
Chip G@@d

Dennis Atick

#239 Post by Dennis Atick » October 7th, 2020, 6:33 am

Philip G wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 6:15 am

I've got a spreadsheet with a few hundred of their wines compared to WSP over the past year which I've used for choosing wines. On average they are about 19% over WSP low price. About 1/3 of the wines are <115% of WSP low. So 85% with free shipping can get some OK deals but not worth re-upping Stewardship for me given their uninspiring inventory of late.
Interesting data. Thanks for sharing.
@decaturwinedude

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#240 Post by Philip G » October 7th, 2020, 7:16 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 6:33 am
Philip G wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 6:15 am

I've got a spreadsheet with a few hundred of their wines compared to WSP over the past year which I've used for choosing wines. On average they are about 19% over WSP low price. About 1/3 of the wines are <115% of WSP low. So 85% with free shipping can get some OK deals but not worth re-upping Stewardship for me given their uninspiring inventory of late.
Interesting data. Thanks for sharing.
No prob. These are just wines that I've been interested in, not a random sampling, so YMMV. I'm guessing the numbers would be worse doing a random sampling.
Chip G@@d

JBrochu

#241 Post by JBrochu » October 7th, 2020, 7:31 am

mmarcellus wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 5:02 am
If you no longer wish to receive this order due to the delay, we will be happy to cancel it for you. Please send an email to cs@wine.com with your order number in the following subject line: “Delayed Order # - Cancel.” Please be aware that given the volume of inbound emails, we may not be able to process your request until after the order has shipped. If that occurs, we will initiate the return when your request is processed.
So they have so many people sending complaints and canceling orders that they cannot keep up with it. That can't be good news for the long term viability of the company.
J@hn

cjsadler

#242 Post by cjsadler » October 7th, 2020, 7:42 am

JBrochu wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 7:31 am
mmarcellus wrote:
So they have so many people sending complaints and canceling orders that they cannot keep up with it. That can't be good news for the long term viability of the company.
I finally got through to customer service about an order that was supposed to be delivered a couple of weeks ago, but never shipped. They said they would just cancel the order-- it's not a delay-- the wines will never be delivered and are probably now out of stock. Had another order that was supposed to arrive today, but it hasn't shipped. Assume it's the same deal, and also the same for the other orders I have held for fall too-- they'll never be delivered.
Chris Sadler

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#243 Post by Philip G » October 7th, 2020, 8:25 am

cjsadler wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 7:42 am
JBrochu wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 7:31 am
mmarcellus wrote:
I finally got through to customer service about an order that was supposed to be delivered a couple of weeks ago, but never shipped. They said they would just cancel the order-- it's not a delay-- the wines will never be delivered and are probably now out of stock. Had another order that was supposed to arrive today, but it hasn't shipped. Assume it's the same deal, and also the same for the other orders I have held for fall too-- they'll never be delivered.
I did notice today that a few wines I looked at said shipping next Monday, which is unusual, so maybe they are having inventory issues. Don't think I would trust those (I know, most here don't trust them period). I had two orders from last week arrive on time, both were same or next day shipping.
Chip G@@d

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#244 Post by Michae1 P0wers » October 8th, 2020, 6:41 am

As a positive data point, I just received a correctly-timed shipping notification for an order I'd placed this summer and held. My previous two orders were delayed by approximately two weeks each, and I'd had to email CS prior to those orders shipping. As I said before, inventory has seemed low, but I believe that comes down to prioritizing shipping over adding new product to the website.

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#245 Post by mmarcellus » October 8th, 2020, 9:24 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 6:41 am
As a positive data point, I just received a correctly-timed shipping notification for an order I'd placed this summer and held. My previous two orders were delayed by approximately two weeks each, and I'd had to email CS prior to those orders shipping. As I said before, inventory has seemed low, but I believe that comes down to prioritizing shipping over adding new product to the website.
Which warehouse is the order shipping from? Last night the available shipping date for all wines from the NY warehouse was pushed out an additional day, to Tuesday October 13th.
M @ r k

Dennis Atick

#246 Post by Dennis Atick » October 8th, 2020, 11:33 am

Another screw up with these guys for me has me writing them off for good. This time, they inexplicable split an order into two boxes, without telling me. I shipped the wines to my brother, he got the one box, said thanks, but never asked how many bottles were supposed to be in the box. Come to find out today that he was delivered one bottle, and the other bottles, from the same damn order, have been bouncing around the Fedex system for the last 10 days.
@decaturwinedude

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#247 Post by Dennis Borczon » October 8th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Wonder if they are telling folks that the wine is in a container ship in the Atlantic...or if there are a lot of hookers hanging around the warehouse? [whistle.gif]

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#248 Post by lleichtman » October 8th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Dennis Borczon wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 12:14 pm
Wonder if they are telling folks that the wine is in a container ship in the Atlantic...or if there are a lot of hookers hanging around the warehouse? [whistle.gif]
Kinda like Premier Crus. I have cancelled all of my orders from wine.com as they only delivered one bottle of a mixed case.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Victor Hong

#249 Post by Victor Hong » October 8th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Even if the warehouses have inventory, the inability to deliver to customers means scant receivables as working capital.
WineHunter.

Nick Ellis

#250 Post by Nick Ellis » October 8th, 2020, 4:05 pm

AD Northup wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 8:02 pm
J_Weber wrote:
Victor Hong wrote:
Probably the crossing of state borders part (hypothetically circumventing your home states rightfully earned sales tax collections?)
RIGHTFULLY EARNED?

I just cleared out my nasal passages with a 2018 Baudry Granges when I read that.

Return to “Wine Talk”