wine.com delivery fail

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Chris Crutchfield

Re: wine.com delivery fail

#101 Post by Chris Crutchfield » September 16th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Heads should roll for sure, what a colossal f up this has been. Totally inconceivable that this has been going on for like a week now.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 16th, 2020, 12:50 pm

And what of us who received shipments in the heat? Should we cross our fingers and hope that when we open these bottles in 10 years, they’re okay? Or send them back and hope they don’t restock the bottle and then send to me (or others) again? Where’s their CEO on that issue?

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Peter C. » September 16th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Peter C. wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 7:09 am
Arv R wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 9:33 pm
I was person #39 in the chat queue when I started....57 minutes later....I added the boldface and redacted names/times. bottom line: I don't think the arrival dates selected or on the order status have much basis in reality. I guess people will get stuff, when they get stuff.

====

CSR: I'm very sorry your order has not shipped. Our warehouse recently upgraded its system which has caused systemwide shipping delays. Our warehouse team is working around the clock to get the delayed orders out as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, they have not posted a ship date for your order as yet.
me: do you think that means this week? this month?
me: ?
me: are they providing any email updates?
CSR: While I can't provide an exact ship date, I would say a couple more days to about a week. You will receive tracking as soon as the order ships.
me: thanks for being honest.
Good to hear, even though it's not good news. I chatted several times with various customer service folks and received the same runaround.
Update: one of my four outstanding orders that I requested delivery of last Saturday shipped moments ago. Small progress, but it's progress.
( z y ® y ( @

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Jim Stewart » September 16th, 2020, 12:59 pm

I just received a personal email from the CEO of wine.com explaining the issue, telling me they were aware of the problems, and apologizing to me personally. Not sure if all of you have received this level of personal attention:

P.S. He addressed me as "James" which seemed a little less friendly than I expected from "Rich".
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

J. Rock

#105 Post by J. Rock » September 16th, 2020, 1:02 pm

mmarcellus wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm
We recently began a systems upgrade with the aim to better serve you through faster shipments....
They upgraded too much! The shipments are too fast! Hoping for a downgrade so I can get my wine in a couple of months like originally scheduled.
J o r d a n

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by mmarcellus » September 16th, 2020, 1:22 pm

J. Rock wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 1:02 pm
mmarcellus wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm
We recently began a systems upgrade with the aim to better serve you through faster shipments....
They upgraded too much! The shipments are too fast! Hoping for a downgrade so I can get my wine in a couple of months like originally scheduled.
Good point. Maybe we'll get a follow-up e-mail stating that after further analysis they found that, on average, delivery times are faster.
M @ r k

AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by AndyK » September 16th, 2020, 2:00 pm

wine.com certainly messed up badly, but reading some of the comments here makes a lot of people look like over-sensitive jerks.

"Heads should roll". "Addressed me by my first name, instead of mr. dr. so-and-so". Everybody chill!

I'm also curious how many orders Victor placed. Or is he just commenting from the sidelines?
k0berl

2020 WOTY Candidates
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
NV Krug Champagne Brut Rosé 18éme
2007 Marcel Juge Cornas

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by mmarcellus » September 16th, 2020, 7:38 pm

AndyK wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 2:00 pm
wine.com certainly messed up badly, but reading some of the comments here makes a lot of people look like over-sensitive jerks.

"Heads should roll". "Addressed me by my first name, instead of mr. dr. so-and-so". Everybody chill!

I'm also curious how many orders Victor placed. Or is he just commenting from the sidelines?
As the one who said that "heads should roll", I will say that response is informed by long and painful experience. I have been through some pretty bad failed implementations, though I can't recall any quite as bad as this one. In each of those failures, every sentient working stiff on the project knew it was going to fail, and fail badly, but all warnings were ignored due to pressure from the top. I'm sure this clusterf*** is no exception. The people who hold the ultimate responsibility for this should be fired. Certainly the CTO, and possibly the CEO (although he is apparently the founder, and has been there since 2006, so I'm not so sure that will happen). That's just Management 101. And I say this as one who, as far as I know, wasn't badly impacted by this. I'm whole on all my orders except for one two bottle order that's in limbo, and if that one doesn't come through it's not the end of the world. However, given wine.com's obvious lack of basic IT hygiene, I am concerned about how safe my credit card information is. And while I use different passwords for each site, I would strongly encourage anyone who does use the same password across sites to consider changing their passwords, and make the one at wine.com unique.

Re the first name comment, I took that as being tongue in cheek. But the company's response to customers so far has definitely fallen short of the basic principles for managing this type of crisis. We all understand that bad stuff happens, even stuff as bad as this. We don't except the company to solve it on day one (I'm not even optimistic about day 30) but we do expect them to communicate with us from the start. If they don't have an answer yet, that's fine, but say so, and keep us updated periodically.

I do like wine.com. Their sourcing is excellent, with a lot of good stuff that's not easy to find. The prices do tend to be high, though you can find some attractive prices even without the coupons. And with the coupons, plus Stewardship, it's a great bargain. I very much want them to succeed. That why I hope that when the dust settles and the autopsy is done on the stinking corpse, measures are taken to make sure that nothing like this ever happens again.
M @ r k

jleedionne

#109 Post by jleedionne » September 16th, 2020, 8:56 pm

They are just not set up to be selling high end wine.
Shame how many bottles are cooked on a daily basis.
Justin Dionne

HenryB

#110 Post by HenryB » September 17th, 2020, 12:42 am

I'm not involved in the wine.com stuff at all, but it feels like there's a little bit of overreaction.

As long as everyone is 'made good' at the end, does it matter? Cooked wines replaced, early shipped orders re-shipped in due course, double charges repaid (including any interest incurred).

'Failed roll out' and 'ERP replacement' go hand in hand, I'm not aware of any that ever work well or go to plan. I assume wine.com is a relatively small business too without a massive IT function. Seems like some of the management might be out of their depth for trying to do this. Classic mistake, really.

Specifically regarding the credit card information - they will be held to PCI DSS. That means, depending on volume, up to quarterly audits if I recall correctly. Any PCI DSS non compliance can result in having your ability to do payments via cards revoked, so if they arent PCI DSS compliant, their business could shortly go bust.

We're "only" dealing with wine here, not medical supplies. As long as wine.com shoulder the cost of rectifying everyone, it should be fine. (This might put an interesting spin on their recent fund raising - we need the money to un-f*ck our ERP roll out and compensate people doesnt really get investors going)
|3 r 0 w |\|

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 17th, 2020, 4:27 am

HenryB wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 12:42 am
Cooked wines replaced, early shipped orders re-shipped in due course
Henry, they haven’t replaced any cooked wine. I’m still waiting for FedEx to come pick up the $1K bottles of Vietti they shipped in 90+ degree heat. And I didn’t receive an apology letter from anyone at wine.com.

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Br1an Th0rne » September 17th, 2020, 5:48 am

HenryB wrote:
I'm not involved in the wine.com stuff at all, but it feels like there's a little bit of overreaction.

As long as everyone is 'made good' at the end, does it matter? Cooked wines replaced, early shipped orders re-shipped in due course, double charges repaid (including any interest incurred).
In the grand scheme of things, wine is pretty far down on the list of “essential to life” goods and services, but this is a wine board. We are all passionate about wine here! I’m glad folks are sharing their stories, as I won’t go near wine.com until all of this is sorted out. Even if you are made whole (I was triple charged for Bordeaux futures, almost $5k all told) the amount of time wasted, and frustration and aggravation endured is not a little thing...although I suppose it may appear as such from the sidelines.

HenryB

#113 Post by HenryB » September 17th, 2020, 5:57 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 4:27 am
HenryB wrote:
Cooked wines replaced, early shipped orders re-shipped in due course
Henry, they haven’t replaced any cooked wine. I’m still waiting for FedEx to come pick up the $1K bottles of Vietti they shipped in 90+ degree heat. And I didn’t receive an apology letter from anyone at wine.com.
Not yet, but I assume they will in due course. It sounds like they're practically in sheer panic mode in the warehouse right now, so its understandable it might take some time to resolve.

And dont get me wrong, I'm not belittling the circumstance, it's a major problem, but its a major problem 'for them' as such. They're going to lose millions over this, people can put down the pitchforks unless wine.com dont look like they're going to make people whole, in which case pitchfork away.
|3 r 0 w |\|

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Jeff_M. » September 17th, 2020, 7:30 am

HenryB wrote:

Charging my card 3 separate times, and then having the 3rd charge actually stick to my card and my CC statement closes places me in a bind. I have a 2-3 week period where I have to see if they reverse the charges or if I contest them so I don't short pay my CC bill and cause myself even more grief there. This also takes away credit limit on that card that I may be spending on other things in life. No one wants to spend time on these types of issues.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

Chris Crutchfield

#115 Post by Chris Crutchfield » September 17th, 2020, 8:21 am

They are for sure losing millions in terms of cooked product and loss of customer goodwill. They are also trying to raise capital, not the best time to showcase your IT and operational ineptitude. I don't think it's farfetched to suggest that some incompetents should be fired over this.

cjsadler

#116 Post by cjsadler » September 17th, 2020, 9:14 am

I got that email from the CEO too. Have been a customer for a few years and never really had an issues. Wow, though, this has been quite a cluster! I wouldn't want to be working in the IT department there. The latest is that I've noticed some credits to my account, but I'm not sure why. I assume it's bottles that they won't have as part of the orders I have scheduled for Oct and Nov?
Chris Sadler

Brad England
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Brad England » September 17th, 2020, 9:35 am

Just curious. What makes you guys so sure that they'll lose millions for the cooked wine? I have no direct knowledge, and no dealings with wine.com. But I'd suspect they will resell the wine to another customer. I wouldn't even think of ordering "replacement wine" without somehow identifying the bottles you send back. Call me cynical, but why wouldn't they behave like auction houses - if the returned bottle looks good, they will resell it.
CT=BradE

Chris Crutchfield

#118 Post by Chris Crutchfield » September 17th, 2020, 9:43 am

Brad England wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 9:35 am
Just curious. What makes you guys so sure that they'll lose millions for the cooked wine? I have no direct knowledge, and no dealings with wine.com. But I'd suspect they will resell the wine to another customer. I wouldn't even think of ordering "replacement wine" without somehow identifying the bottles you send back. Call me cynical, but why wouldn't they behave like auction houses - if the returned bottle looks good, they will resell it.
The bulk of "millions" I mentioned above is in customer goodwill. It's hard to earn, but easy to squander.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by Michae1 P0wers » September 17th, 2020, 9:50 am

Brad England wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 9:35 am
I would not think they would resell the wine once rejected, and depending on state they might not be able to do so.

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by Peter C. » September 17th, 2020, 10:07 am

For those wanting to ship, I received 1/4 shipments today, and just received notice that the remaining 3/4 will arrive tomorrow.

On my last chat with Customer Service I asked if they could elevate the request to ship immediately to a manager which they seemed to do. Said if I didn't have tracking for all shipments by EOD today to circle back but they were true to their word.

Give it a try on your next Chat or call with them.
( z y ® y ( @

JBrochu

#121 Post by JBrochu » September 17th, 2020, 10:20 am

I was in contact with CS last night. They told me that all returned bottles (for any reason) get returned by them to the distributors and never resold. I'm not sure why the distributor would take back bottles that wine.com accidentally shipped in 90-100 degree temps, but that's what the CS rep told me happens with any returned bottle.

I've also learned that many of the bottles on my open orders that were being held for shipment in November are no longer available. So far at least 3 different wines (8 bottles) are gone, and that was with them checking only 2 of my 10 open orders. The CS rep is going to check the status of each wine on all 10 of my open orders and send me an email within a few days with a full accounting of what's actually still available. I would then have to decide, for orders with missing bottles, whether to make substitutions of similar value (if I want to retain the discount code) or just cancel those orders with issues. The CS rep was actually going to honor the discount code on one of the orders they checked last night, until they realized that all bottles on the order were no longer available.
J@hn

Dennis Atick

#122 Post by Dennis Atick » September 17th, 2020, 10:29 am

JBrochu wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 10:20 am
I was in contact with CS last night. They told me that all returned bottles (for any reason) get returned by them to the distributors and never resold. I'm not sure why the distributor would take back bottles that wine.com accidentally shipped in 90-100 degree temps, but that's what the CS rep told me happens with any returned bottle.

I've also learned that many of the bottles on my open orders that were being held for shipment in November are no longer available. So far at least 3 different wines (8 bottles) are gone, and that was with them checking only 2 of my 10 open orders. The CS rep is going to check the status of each wine on all 10 of my open orders and send me an email within a few days with a full accounting of what's actually still available. I would then have to decide, for orders with missing bottles, whether to make substitutions of similar value (if I want to retain the discount code) or just cancel those orders with issues. The CS rep was actually going to honor the discount code on one of the orders they checked last night, until they realized that all bottles on the order were no longer available.
So, they oversold or sold off bottles you bought and were holding for shipping?
What a mess this place is.
I jumped on the coupon craze and bought a few things from them the past few months, but am probably done for good. Amateur hour.
@decaturwinedude

JBrochu

#123 Post by JBrochu » September 17th, 2020, 10:43 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 10:29 am
It appears so. The CS rep couldn't tell me exactly what happened, but only that several wines on the first 2 orders they checked were no longer available to fulfill my orders. I then asked them to do a full accounting of all 10 orders that I have waiting for my November ship date and get back to me by email soon.

I'm probably done with them as well. Except perhaps for orders during the shipping window where I can ask for immediate shipment. I was very suspicious about their policy of not charging until shipment, (except for on futures orders), so before I placed all these orders over the summer I contacted them and asked if they really do reserve the wines I order and hold, and they said yes.
J@hn

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by mmarcellus » September 17th, 2020, 10:50 am

HenryB wrote:

'Failed roll out' and 'ERP replacement' go hand in hand, I'm not aware of any that ever work well or go to plan. I assume wine.com is a relatively small business too without a massive IT function. Seems like some of the management might be out of their depth for trying to do this. Classic mistake, really.

Specifically regarding the credit card information - they will be held to PCI DSS. That means, depending on volume, up to quarterly audits if I recall correctly. Any PCI DSS non compliance can result in having your ability to do payments via cards revoked, so if they arent PCI DSS compliant, their business could shortly go bust.

We're "only" dealing with wine here, not medical supplies. As long as wine.com shoulder the cost of rectifying everyone, it should be fine. (This might put an interesting spin on their recent fund raising - we need the money to f*ck our ERP roll out and compensate people doesnt really get investors going)
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I will one more time anyway. I'm fully aware of how difficult these rollouts are. They are always going to be painful for the internal folks, and a subset of customers is going to be negatively impacted. This goes well beyond that. For the hell of it, I went on the CS chat to ask about the status of my outstanding order, and there were 137 people in the queue in front of me. This is almost 20 days after the rollout.

Re PCI DSS compliance, all the rules and safeguards in the world can't guarantee against individual error - say, for example, an employee taking a short cut while attempting to push out a troubled implementation. I'm not saying this definitely (or even probably) happened, but it's the kind of thing that can happen in situations like this.

Which brings me to the lack of a "massive IT function". Screw-ups like this are not a function of the size of the department, they are a function of the culture of the department, and possibly the company as a whole. You can get it right when you're small, and you can screw up big time if you're large. One need look no farther than Boeing for proof of that.

As I said before, I'm really hoping for wine.com to succeed. But, having been through this rodeo before, I know that the only way they will succeed is by taking a long, hard look at what happened and making changes to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again.
M @ r k

MichaelLee

#125 Post by MichaelLee » September 17th, 2020, 10:54 am

JBrochu wrote:

That's horrible that they dont have the wines you bought and paid for already. After seeing all these issues with wine.com I dont think I will place any orders until it is safe to ship immediately.

JBrochu

#126 Post by JBrochu » September 17th, 2020, 11:01 am

MichaelLee wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 10:54 am
That's horrible that they dont have the wines you bought and paid for already. After seeing all these issues with wine.com I dont think I will place any orders until it is safe to ship immediately.
They don't charge until the wines ship, with the exception of futures orders. But I did confirm with them before placing all those orders that the wines would in fact be reserved for me until my ship date. So to me it's the same whether I paid or not. I actually passed up some of these bottles at other places because I had them on order at wine.com.
Last edited by JBrochu on September 17th, 2020, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
J@hn

Arv R

#127 Post by Arv R » September 17th, 2020, 11:02 am

JBrochu wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 10:43 am
Dennis Atick wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 10:29 am
It appears so. The CS rep couldn't tell me exactly what happened, but only that several wines on the first 2 orders they checked were no longer available to fulfill my orders. I then asked them to do a full accounting of all 10 orders that I have waiting for my November ship date and get back to me by email soon.

I'm probably done with them as well. Except perhaps for orders during the shipping window where I can ask for immediate shipment. I was very suspicious about their policy of not charging until shipment, (except for on futures orders), so before I placed all these orders over the summer I contacted them and asked if they really do reserve the wines I order and hold, and they said yes.
The policy of not charging until shipment is pretty normal for most normal vendors. I realize futures are a different situation, but for normal in stock items, that's a term either the card networks or merchant processors seem to have.

I had a phone call on Sep 3 about the stock out issue (on already booked orders that were in Hold To Ship status) and they stated that their system recorded as 'sold and not available' even though it might be in physical inventory. Based on the reports here, that might have been the theory, but doesn't seem to be what is happening in the warehouse(s). Back then they stated my (still unshipped!) stuff was all large supplies. But who knows, the CSR's don't seem to have great/accurate info.
R_@_0

Brad England
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Brad England » September 17th, 2020, 12:07 pm

JBrochu wrote:
John, I don't mean this as argumentative as it sounds, but just because someone who answers a customer service line says something doesn't make it true. As an example, the guys answering the phones at Premier Cru weren't very accurate with their feedback.
Given how it appears these guys run the business, I'd be suspect of everything they told you. The CS guy is just doing or saying what he's told to do or say.
CT=BradE

Arv R

#129 Post by Arv R » September 17th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Brad England wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 12:07 pm
JBrochu wrote:
John, I don't mean this as argumentative as it sounds, but just because someone who answers a customer service line says something doesn't make it true. As an example, the guys answering the phones at Premier Cru weren't very accurate with their feedback.
Given how it appears these guys run the business, I'd be suspect of everything they told you. The CS guy is just doing or saying what he's told to do or say.
agreed. I don't think distributors are going to throw those bottles away, they'll just recycle to some other unlucky merchant/end purchaser. In the very best case, maybe they use them as bottles for staff to use when sampling/selling/tasting. Or they dump them on Grocery Outlet

a long time ago I remember reading a Horatio Hornblower book where the ship rejects a shipment of tainted beef barrels. Rather than just allowing the ports quartermaster to just recycle the bad beef to another ship that didn't inspect them, he had each barrel branded 'condemned' when he returned them. Maybe a paint pen and writing 'cooked by wine.com' should be inked on bottles if its (successfully) returned/credited. But even that latter step doesn't seem to be happening....
R_@_0

Victor Hong

#130 Post by Victor Hong » September 17th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Software upgrade meets climate downgrade.
WineHunter.

JBrochu

#131 Post by JBrochu » September 17th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Brad England wrote:
I agree with you and don't find your response argumentative at all. I was just reporting what they told me. (And I also expressed doubt that a distributor would take these wines back. Unless wine.com is using Walmart and Costco methods to squeeze every drop of blood from their suppliers.)

I've also received the update on my outstanding orders that were being held for November shipment: 29 of 33 wines (68 of 74 bottles) that I ordered are no longer available. I told them to cancel anything remaining (all 6 bottles ha ha).
J@hn

Victor Hong

#132 Post by Victor Hong » September 17th, 2020, 1:37 pm

JBrochu wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 1:22 pm
Brad England wrote:
I agree with you and don't find your response argumentative at all. I was just reporting what they told me. (And I also expressed doubt that a distributor would take these wines back. Unless wine.com is using Walmart and Costco methods to squeeze every drop of blood from their suppliers.)

I've also received the update on my outstanding orders that were being held for November shipment: 29 of 33 wines (68 of 74 bottles) that I ordered are no longer available. I told them to cancel anything remaining (all 6 bottles ha ha).
Be careful if out-of-stock orders are reinstated for (re-)delivery.

Many VC and PE people are very into wine, and likely surf this board. The Wine.com offering disclosures to raise capital would be interesting to read, in terms of this thread.
Last edited by Victor Hong on September 17th, 2020, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WineHunter.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 17th, 2020, 1:44 pm

JBrochu wrote:
This is truly stunning. If this is a widespread problem, and I have no reason to believe it's not, then maybe that's why I haven't had any of my "held" offers shipped early during that snafu. I will be an extremely unhappy customer if - apparently when - this happens to me. I hope this is a fluke or the system is giving your CS rep bad info, but I'm not holding my breath. Unbelievable.

JBrochu

#134 Post by JBrochu » September 17th, 2020, 1:49 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 1:44 pm
JBrochu wrote:
This is truly stunning. If this is a widespread problem, and I have no reason to believe it's not, then maybe that's why I haven't had any of my "held" offers shipped early during that snafu. I will be an extremely unhappy customer if - apparently when - this happens to me. I hope this is a fluke or the system is giving your CS rep bad info, but I'm not holding my breath. Unbelievable.
The CS rep told me that they confirmed with the warehouse that these wines are in fact not available. That could still be bad info, I suppose. But I tried to have them eliminate that as a possibility.
J@hn

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 17th, 2020, 1:51 pm

I should add that I was contacted by their CS once or maybe twice within 2-3 days after placing an order to let me know that an item I had ordered was in fact unavailable, and to work out a replacement. Always mildly disappointing of course, but rare, prompt, professional, and easy to deal with. This would seem to indicate that they were at least doing some kind of inventory verification at the time the order was received and processed, and not just waiting until the ship date to see if the SKU is in stock. How they then could have let that product walk out the door instead of being held for the customer who had ordered it is beyond me.

Ian S

#136 Post by Ian S » September 17th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Guess that coupon isn't worth the bandwidth it's printed on!
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - the "Crazy Uncle" Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

"I swear to god, I've never seen so many whiny bitches in one place in my life." - Steve Saxon, 01/30/18
"Moral superiority can taste awfully good to some." - David Kantrowitz, 05/29/19

JBrochu

#137 Post by JBrochu » September 17th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 1:37 pm
Be careful if out-of-stock orders are reinstated for (re-)delivery.
If they don't confirm that the orders are all canceled within a few days, I will block them from my credit card.
J@hn

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Peter C. » September 17th, 2020, 2:13 pm

JBrochu wrote:
Brad England wrote:

Wow - that's ridiculous!

Did they give any reason as to what happened?
( z y ® y ( @

JBrochu

#139 Post by JBrochu » September 17th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Peter C. wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 2:13 pm
Did they give any reason as to what happened?
The CS rep didn't know, and I didn't push them on it.
J@hn

Tyler Rico

#140 Post by Tyler Rico » September 17th, 2020, 2:51 pm

If that happens to me, as I’ve got quite a few outstanding orders, I’ll be asking for an account credit for full value, to try and retain coupons/credits.

cjsadler

#141 Post by cjsadler » September 17th, 2020, 2:57 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 1:51 pm
This would seem to indicate that they were at least doing some kind of inventory verification at the time the order was received and processed, and not just waiting until the ship date to see if the SKU is in stock. How they then could have let that product walk out the door instead of being held for the customer who had ordered it is beyond me.
Holding/setting aside your bottles seemed to be how it was done in the past. I've been pushing off Wine.com orders to fall or spring for a few years now (to take advantage of those coupons during hot weather!), and never had a problem with later getting all the wines I ordered. Something is getting royally screwed up now. I have 8 or 9 orders set to arrive starting in October, but wonder what will happen. Since the weather cooled down here I also recently placed an order that was supposed to arrive yesterday, but it hasn't shipped yet-- never had that happen before either.
Chris Sadler

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#142 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 17th, 2020, 3:02 pm

cjsadler wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 2:57 pm
Holding/setting aside your bottles seemed to be how it was done in the past.
I'm glad to hear they at least seem(ed) to understand how it is supposed to work.

Hopefully I don't need to call Jerry in to give them the lecture.

Anthony C

#143 Post by Anthony C » September 17th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Just got a shipment from a different online vendor, which was also held for shipment. They charged me about a month after ordering and oddly enough the packing slip had a date close to the CC billing date.

It seems they boxed the order a month ago, charged me once ready to ship, stored the box, and then shipped on my preferred date. I have no problem with any of this.
C u r t a s

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food." -- W. C. Fields

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by mmarcellus » September 17th, 2020, 3:32 pm

Just for fun, I posted a inquiry to CS chat about my open order, referencing the order number. I was number 137 in the queue, so I went about my business. I eventually received an e-mail from wine.com, with the transcript, notifying me that the chat had timed out. One hour later, I got an e-mail saying that my order had shipped, which FedEx has confirmed.

Just a data point, but it does look like the squeaky wheels are getting the oil, and anyone who wants to improve their chances of actually receiving their orders might want to ping them on the chat - even if you don't bother waiting around for the response.
M @ r k

Arv R

#145 Post by Arv R » September 17th, 2020, 8:55 pm

JBrochu wrote:

Smaller scale, but the same now appears to have happened to me too. 50% of my order waiting to ship is now Out of Stock. CSR suggested I pick new wines, but looking at my 'saved for later' list, 51 out of the 116 items I had tagged are also now OOS; normally only 5-10% on my list is not available.

They did not notify me at all of any of this, I only found out because I saw the above post and reached out. One of their CSRs had verbally told me a week or so ago that everything was fine with the order, and there was plenty of supply of all wines in my order.

I know they keep talking about "system issues" and write that on their web site etc. But this doesn't feel like a system issue anymore -- I think there is a bigger problem.

Save your records and be prepared.
R_@_0

Tyler Rico

#146 Post by Tyler Rico » September 17th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Arv R wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 8:55 pm
JBrochu wrote:

Smaller scale, but the same now appears to have happened to me too. 50% of my order waiting to ship is now Out of Stock. CSR suggested I pick new wines, but looking at my 'saved for later' list, 51 out of the 116 items I had tagged are also now OOS; normally only 5-10% on my list is not available.

They did not notify me at all of any of this, I only found out because I saw the above post and reached out. One of their CSRs had verbally told me a week or so ago that everything was fine with the order, and there was plenty of supply of all wines in my order.

I know they keep talking about "system issues" and write that on their web site etc. But this doesn't feel like a system issue anymore -- I think there is a bigger problem.

Ask for an account credit inclusive of discounts to save for a future purchase, see what they say.

Arv R

#147 Post by Arv R » September 17th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Tyler Rico wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 9:02 pm
Arv R wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 8:55 pm
JBrochu wrote:

Ask for an account credit inclusive of discounts to save for a future purchase, see what they say.
It's been a phone call, and two chats (57min on first, 2hr12min for second) although I'm doing other things to be fair, and I don't have the energy to chase further. Ordering online is supposed to be easy and hassle free.

This has not been either. (and as mentioned up thread, prior two shipments were also full of problems - 1 lost and 1 cooked)

Maybe they'll send me something and I'll slink off. Personally I would not want any store credit, or futures exposure to them. As mentioned above, I think something else is going wrong.
R_@_0

JonathanG

#148 Post by JonathanG » September 17th, 2020, 11:35 pm

I have a huge exposure to them for 2017-2019 futures and am not worried at all. There certainly isnt a solvency issue or they wouldnt be getting another round of funding at that valuation. I suspect once they get this ERP upgrade behind them all will be well again.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

cjsadler

#149 Post by cjsadler » September 18th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Happened to see that with the order that was supposed to arrive this week (that I’m still waiting on— has not shipped) my credit card was charged on the day I ordered. As I believe has been mentioned here, they usually don’t charge you until your order ships. Man, have they screwed everything up...
Chris Sadler

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 19th, 2020, 5:07 pm

All of my futures purchases showed up again - twice - on my credit card. One set showed up as "pending" for a few days and has now disappeared, without ever being moving to posted. The other set showed up as "pending," then moved to posted charges, but reversals showed up a couple of days later as "pending" and I just checked and those credits have now been posted, so they are square with me on the issue of recharging futures orders already paid for.

I have not had any of my held orders for in-stock stuff suddenly arrive unexpectedly, and I just looked again and none of them show as shipped on their site, so so far so good on that issue as well.

I have about a month before the first set are supposed to actually ship, so we'll see then how they do on the issue of whether they sold my wine to someone else in the meantime even though they already sold it to me. Does anyone else have more recent experience with that issue, favorably or unfavorably, beyond what's been reported above?

Return to “Wine Talk”