wine.com delivery fail

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Nicholas C

wine.com delivery fail

#1 Post by Nicholas C » September 10th, 2020, 8:01 pm

Made 6 separate purchases over summer from wine.com and all are on hold until mid-November.

To my surprise one of the purchases, 3 bottles of Andremily no. 6, turned up today on my doorstep after a 2 day Fedex ground shipping without an ice pack. I checked my wine.com account and it still says this purchase was supposed to be on hold until November 18th. The bottles felt room temp. Weather since it shipped has been 85-90.

I reached out to their support but was not able to get through to them yet, will try again tomorrow. I dont know how they made that mistake, but its pretty frustrating that they shipped it early. Ive lost a bit confidence in them. Will be interesting to hear their response, anyone been in this situation before?
[ 0 0 p 3 r

Mike C.

Re: wine.com delivery fail

#2 Post by Mike C. » September 10th, 2020, 8:02 pm

See the coupon thread—I fortunately haven’t had this issue before, but this is one of many. They will make it right.
h@0

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 10th, 2020, 8:04 pm

See the last week or so of posts in the "best coupons/deals" thread. Apparently they are in the midst of a botched software upgrade that is causing any number of delayed shipments to go out in the midst of the current heat, though you appear to be the first person reporting a box arriving while the order still shows as unshipped in your wine.com account.

Nicholas C

#4 Post by Nicholas C » September 10th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Thanks guys, will check out that thread!

What a nightmare for them, no wonder I couldn't get through to their customer support! Good to hear they will make it right.
[ 0 0 p 3 r

J. Rock

#5 Post by J. Rock » September 10th, 2020, 9:05 pm

I just had a similar problem. Poor customer service guy couldn't do much right now because their software is still messed up I guess. For now, I just memorialized that regardless of this recent shipping error, I still expect to receive the bottle I ordered after it's shipped on the agreed upon date in November.
J o r d a n

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by JonathanG » September 10th, 2020, 11:25 pm

They are in the middle of an ERP upgrade seemingly, based on the other thread, and having issues. They have always made things right for me, definitely email them and let them know your concerns
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by mmarcellus » September 11th, 2020, 3:55 am

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 8:04 pm
See the last week or so of posts in the "best coupons/deals" thread. Apparently they are in the midst of a botched software upgrade that is causing any number of delayed shipments to go out in the midst of the current heat, though you appear to be the first person reporting a box arriving while the order still shows as unshipped in your wine.com account.
This has happened to me as well, as reported in the other thread. I had two shipments arrive that were not marked as having shipped. The status of one of them was changed to to "Arrived" yesterday (skipping the shipped status). I also got an e-mail notifying me that it had arrived. The other one still shows as not shipped. A third order I placed early this week is in limbo with a "requested delivery date" of 9/10 and no update in status.

It's worth noting that the order that did, finally, resolve correctly is one that I had complained to Customer Service about due to a double billing issue, so there may have been some manual intervention on that one.

This has to be one of the worst systems rollouts ever, and the lack of communication from wine.com is disturbing. I understand they are overwhelmed right now, but there absolutely should have been an e-mail from the CEO acknowledging the problem, giving a conservative estimate of when they will have a handle on it (or at least a date for when they will give us another update), and a promise to provide us with a full accounting of what went wrong and what corrective measures will be taken once the dust settles. This goes beyond whether we can trust them to deliver wine properly, it goes to whether we can even trust them with our financial information.
M @ r k

Victor Hong

#8 Post by Victor Hong » September 11th, 2020, 4:10 am

JonathanG wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 11:25 pm
They are in the middle of an ERP upgrade seemingly, based on the other thread, and having issues. They have always made things right for me, definitely email them and let them know your concerns
PROD versus DEV, versus SNAFU.
WineHunter.

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Br1an Th0rne » September 11th, 2020, 5:37 am

wine.com just hit me with a duplicate charge of over $2400 for a Bordeaux futures order that I placed on the 9th of June. These guys are having some major issues.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by James Lyon » September 11th, 2020, 5:43 am

Yeah, I received a shipping notification from FedEx earlier this week for an order that was being held until November 1. I emailed customer service, but I have yet to receive a response. I chatted with someone yesterday and I received the same system upgrade BS. The wine is supposed to be delivered today, so we will see. The girl that I chatted with yesterday seemed surprised that this was a wide spread issue. How does someone from the warehouse or logistics not catch this? It's 90 degrees today, but it seems like a great day to ship numerous orders that we've held since early summer. I doubt that we will get a clear response from wine.com and I'm beginning to think someone from upper management gave the green light to release the weather holds.

In contrast to wine.com, unbeknownst to me at the time, I received a package from one of our Oregon wine clubs last week. My SO was in Yosemite, so no one was home to receive the package. The first delivery attempt was on Wednesday with a high of 91. The second delivery attempt was on Thursday with a high of 92. I caught the UPS driver on our Nest app and convinced him to leave the package not knowing that it was wine. The wine stayed on the front porch until later in the afternoon. Once again, I was never notified by the winery of the pending shipment, so I sent a quick email to the winery earlier this week. Replacement bottles will be shipped in mid-October.

Time will tell, but I doubt that I will order from wine.com again, but I'll gladly keep the Oregon wine club.

James

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Mike R » September 11th, 2020, 5:44 am

Br1an Th0rne wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 5:37 am
wine.com just hit me with a duplicate charge of over $2400 for a Bordeaux futures order that I placed on the 9th of June. These guys are having some major issues.
Same thing happened to me, albeit for a much smaller futures order.
... 0 p 3 r

Victor Hong

#12 Post by Victor Hong » September 11th, 2020, 5:55 am

This will cost lots of money, and a few senior IT heads. No, the latter will not be cold-chain shipped to customers...........I hope.
WineHunter.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 11th, 2020, 6:01 am

Victor Hong wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 5:55 am
This will cost lots of money, and a few senior IT heads. No, the latter will not be cold-chain shipped to customers...........I hope.
You can’t just blame this on IT. They run a business and should have the common sense to halt shipments in high heat, regardless of what any system is telling them. This is a failure of business process.

Victor Hong

#14 Post by Victor Hong » September 11th, 2020, 6:07 am

That too.
WineHunter.

m. ristev

#15 Post by m. ristev » September 11th, 2020, 6:19 am

this is not surprising. i placed one order last year when all the coupons first started appearing and they not only shipped the wine out immediately instead of waiting for my specified ship date, they also charged me the full amount without the discount even though my invoice clearly showed the coupon was accepted. i got it all sorted out in the end but it was enough of a hassle to make me stay away.
mајкл

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Br1an Th0rne » September 11th, 2020, 6:33 am

Mike R wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 5:44 am
Br1an Th0rne wrote:
Did they charge you again today, or a while ago?

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Jeff_M. » September 11th, 2020, 7:07 am

Thanks for the heads up. I also have duplicate wine.com charges. Did anyone contact them to get these removed?
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Br1an Th0rne » September 11th, 2020, 7:15 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:07 am
Thanks for the heads up. I also have duplicate wine.com charges. Did anyone contact them to get these removed?
I have not. The duplicate charges are still showing as “pending” on my credit card, did your duplicate charges go through, or are they pending?

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Jeff_M. » September 11th, 2020, 7:36 am

Br1an Th0rne wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:15 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
I have not. The duplicate charges are still showing as “pending” on my credit card, did your duplicate charges go through, or are they pending?
Still pending. Mine are for over $2K as I went deep with that 10% Rakuten day. I have a buddy who also has pending charges from orders that day. What a mess.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by mmarcellus » September 11th, 2020, 7:36 am

Br1an Th0rne wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:15 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
I also got a duplicate charge, both "pending". In my case there was a $1 difference between the two, so the second charge (the correct amount) could have been a price correction. I contacted CS through chat and was told that the incorrect charge would be removed within 1-2 business days after the order shipped. The status of the order changed to shipped in their system yesterday. At that point the correct charge went through on my credit card, the other charge remains pending. If what they told me is correct, it should clear by Monday. We'll see.
M @ r k

Victor Hong

#21 Post by Victor Hong » September 11th, 2020, 7:43 am

Save all your CS bot conversations.
WineHunter.

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by mmarcellus » September 11th, 2020, 7:48 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 6:01 am
Victor Hong wrote:
You can’t just blame this on IT. They run a business and should have the common sense to halt shipments in high heat, regardless of what any system is telling them. This is a failure of business process.
This is (mostly) on IT. For one thing, their systems probably don't even support a global halt of shipments. Even if they do, not everyone would want the shipments halted. This is about 70% on whoever the CTO is for not managing the project properly, and 30% on the COO and/or CEO for not managing the CTO properly. And, as my son has pointed out, there were probably some questionable outsourcing decisions made along the way in the interests of "saving" money.
M @ r k

Nicholas C

#23 Post by Nicholas C » September 11th, 2020, 7:57 am

For those who have been able to reach customer service regarding releasing hold shipments prematurely. How are they offering to make things right, offering replacement bottles? Credit?

Will have to check my cards to see if I have been double charged for some of my orders.
[ 0 0 p 3 r

Rob M

#24 Post by Rob M » September 11th, 2020, 8:04 am

Nicholas C wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:57 am
For those who have been able to reach customer service regarding releasing hold shipments prematurely. How are they offering to make things right, offering replacement bottles? Credit?

Will have to check my cards to see if I have been double charged for some of my orders.
Thus far the Wine.com sales rep that I had reached out to, while responding promptly, has been of no use. He’s telling me his system shows it hasn’t shipped and keeps saying that despite me literally giving him the tracking number that is on my Wine.com profile under the order.
Rob McLaughlin

Scott G r u n e r

#25 Post by Scott G r u n e r » September 11th, 2020, 8:10 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 6:01 am
Victor Hong wrote:
I would wager the majority of their customers want and expect immediate delivery. So holding shipment for all would result in a nasty backlash the other way. The great paradox “you’re damned if you do, you’re damned if you don’t”
//Cynic

Victor Hong

#26 Post by Victor Hong » September 11th, 2020, 8:10 am

Rob M wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 8:04 am
Nicholas C wrote:

Thus far the Wine.com sales rep that I had reached out to, while responding promptly, has been of no use. He’s telling me his system shows it hasn’t shipped and keeps saying that despite me literally giving him the tracking number that is on my Wine.com profile under the order.
Document the conversation, e-mail to him his statement about nothing being shipped, and keep whatever arrives if not charged.
WineHunter.

Scott G r u n e r

#27 Post by Scott G r u n e r » September 11th, 2020, 8:12 am

Rob M wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 8:04 am
Nicholas C wrote:

Maybe you will get another duplicate shipment in the fall! Then you can do a side by side on heat damage effect.
//Cynic

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Mike R » September 11th, 2020, 8:20 am

Br1an Th0rne wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 6:33 am
Mike R wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 5:44 am
Br1an Th0rne wrote:
Did they charge you again today, or a while ago?
Today. My original charge was from June 7th, and the most recent charge is still pending.
... 0 p 3 r

Benjg

#29 Post by Benjg » September 11th, 2020, 8:22 am

I’ve have the opposite problem with wine.com.

Placed an order last week and the charge posted on my credit card, just looked after reading this thread and the charge has disappeared from my credit card. Now I’m not sure if these wines will ship or if they were even purchased???? What a mess
B e n G @ t h

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 11th, 2020, 8:45 am

Thanks for the tip on the dupe charges - a bunch hit my card this morning, but all showing as "auth-pending." Crazy.

Victor Hong

#31 Post by Victor Hong » September 11th, 2020, 9:00 am

Time to re-brand:

http://www.WTF.com
WineHunter.

Jdbramm

#32 Post by Jdbramm » September 11th, 2020, 9:46 am

Just echoing what’s already been said. August 30 I had 7 phantom charges from wine.com on my credit card not reflected in my wine.com account. I thought they were fraudulent so removed my credit card info and changed my password and contacted customer service. Finally got to a real person that reported it was additional state tax (Colorado) for pending orders. This did not align with my 10 pending orders. Now just this morning, I had another 7-8 charges for hundreds of dollars that I did not purchase. I cancelled my card. Reported as fraud and kicked it back to wine.com. I’ve also had several orders on hold for October ship prematurely. I refused delivery and reordered for cooler shipping temps.

I think this extends beyond a software update or whatever. Due to the scale of this disaster, I think they’ve had a security breach and are scrambling to fix it internally. A full explanation or some sort of communication is long over due. Not buying from them for a while. Good luck!
Jonathan B. [cheers.gif]

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by C. Keller » September 11th, 2020, 10:16 am

not a good time if you're looking for new funding....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -1-billion
Chris

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 11th, 2020, 10:44 am

C. Keller wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 10:16 am

When I clicked on your link, it sent me to wine.com (I’m not making this up). The irony...

Victor Hong

#35 Post by Victor Hong » September 11th, 2020, 10:47 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 10:44 am
C. Keller wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 10:16 am

When I clicked on your link, it sent me to wine.com (I’m not making this up). The irony...
I went to buy wine at wine.com, but the site took me to my Bloomberg terminal.
WineHunter.

Chris Crutchfield

#36 Post by Chris Crutchfield » September 11th, 2020, 11:33 am

Jdbramm wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 9:46 am
Just echoing what’s already been said. August 30 I had 7 phantom charges from wine.com on my credit card not reflected in my wine.com account. I thought they were fraudulent so removed my credit card info and changed my password and contacted customer service. Finally got to a real person that reported it was additional state tax (Colorado) for pending orders. This did not align with my 10 pending orders. Now just this morning, I had another 7-8 charges for hundreds of dollars that I did not purchase. I cancelled my card. Reported as fraud and kicked it back to wine.com. I’ve also had several orders on hold for October ship prematurely. I refused delivery and reordered for cooler shipping temps.

I think this extends beyond a software update or whatever. Due to the scale of this disaster, I think they’ve had a security breach and are scrambling to fix it internally. A full explanation or some sort of communication is long over due. Not buying from them for a while. Good luck!
There is nothing to indicate that there has been a security breach, or anything other than just a rather glitchy rollout of a new IT system.

You really think somebody hacked into wine.com, stole your credit card info, and then charged you money from wine.com in the exact amount of your previous orders?

In any event, all of the charges that I have received from wine.com were just pending charges, and I expect they will be reversed shortly. No need to freak out.

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by JonathanG » September 11th, 2020, 11:34 am

They are on it. Just received this email.

Dear Jonathan,

It has come to our attention that some Wine.com customers were recently double charged for futures orders. We are extremely sorry for this mistake and are working to reverse these charges immediately.

We appreciate your business and your patience as we remedy these orders. Please note that there is no need to request a refund as we will automatically process the reversal on all of the affected orders. If you have any questions please contact our customer service team.

Thanks for your patience,
The Wine.com Team
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Nicholas C

#38 Post by Nicholas C » September 11th, 2020, 12:00 pm

JonathanG wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 11:34 am
They are on it. Just received this email.

Dear Jonathan,

It has come to our attention that some Wine.com customers were recently double charged for futures orders. We are extremely sorry for this mistake and are working to reverse these charges immediately.

We appreciate your business and your patience as we remedy these orders. Please note that there is no need to request a refund as we will automatically process the reversal on all of the affected orders. If you have any questions please contact our customer service team.

Thanks for your patience,
The Wine.com Team
Just got the same, probably went out to all customers. Still need to get through to them though re the order that shipped prematurely.
[ 0 0 p 3 r

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Robert M yers » September 11th, 2020, 12:19 pm

I have 10 orders set for late October shipping. I’ve been hoping to avoid this mess but got an email today that one box shipped today. Why on Friday?! Interestingly it’s a replacement box from midsummer which missed a prime shipping window and sat in 90 degrees because of a fed ex screw up. They handled a replacement great and set it up for my October shipment. Now it’s on the way, at least it’s coming out of Berkeley CA which seems to be mid 60’s right now?

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Jeff_M. » September 11th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Guess we all got the we eff'd up email from wine.com. Hope they can make this right for everyone and stop shipping wine that was on hold for everyone else.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

Victor Hong

#41 Post by Victor Hong » September 11th, 2020, 12:38 pm

A Wallace wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 10:38 am
On behalf of Wine.com: It has come to our attention that some Wine.com customers were recently double charged for some futures orders. We are extremely sorry for this mistake and are working to reverse these charges immediately. We appreciate your business and your patience as we remedy these orders. Please note that there is no need to request a refund as we will automatically process the reversal on all of the affected orders. If you have any questions please contact our customer service team: https://www.wine.com/content/customer-care/home
Jeff_M. wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 12:31 pm
Guess we all got the we eff'd up email from wine.com. Hope they can make this right for everyone and stop shipping wine that was on hold for everyone else.
If the wines shipped inadvertently are returned, will wine.com be re-selling them?
WineHunter.

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Jeff_M. » September 11th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 12:38 pm
A Wallace wrote:
On behalf of Wine.com: It has come to our attention that some Wine.com customers were recently double charged for some futures orders. We are extremely sorry for this mistake and are working to reverse these charges immediately. We appreciate your business and your patience as we remedy these orders. Please note that there is no need to request a refund as we will automatically process the reversal on all of the affected orders. If you have any questions please contact our customer service team: https://www.wine.com/content/customer-care/home
Jeff_M. wrote:
If the wines shipped inadvertently are returned, will wine.com be re-selling them?
I would certainly hope not. I can't speak for their company. I believe when the wineries have this happen they hand those bottles off to staff to drink.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates

Victor Hong

#43 Post by Victor Hong » September 11th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Jeff_M. wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 12:53 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
A Wallace wrote:
Jeff_M. wrote:

I would certainly hope not. I can't speak for their company. I believe when the wineries have this happen they hand those bottles off to staff to drink.
Waiting for Wine.com to respond, especially because the wines which WB's buy tend to be more collectible and expensive.
WineHunter.

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by AAgrawal » September 11th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Jeff_M. wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 12:53 pm
Victor Hong wrote:
A Wallace wrote:
Jeff_M. wrote:
I don't know how it works at wine.com, but if not then certainly for some sold-out wines it may be hard/impossible for them to provide replacements. I'm always suspicious when this happens, and I rarely work with that retailer again unless I have a long-standing relationship and many other transactions have been flawless.
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 11th, 2020, 1:09 pm

While wine.com did respond to the double charging on futures, I didn’t see anything mentioned about ignoring scheduled ship dates and shipping in that heat. Many more complaints on this board over that topic than the other.

Victor Hong

#46 Post by Victor Hong » September 11th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 1:09 pm
While wine.com did respond to the double charging on futures, I didn’t see anything mentioned about ignoring scheduled ship dates and shipping in that heat. Many more complaints on this board over that topic than the other.
That is why I did a cross-thread bump. newhere
WineHunter.

Jdbramm

#47 Post by Jdbramm » September 11th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Chris Crutchfield wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 11:33 am

There is nothing to indicate that there has been a security breach, or anything other than just a rather glitchy rollout of a new IT system.

You really think somebody hacked into wine.com, stole your credit card info, and then charged you money from wine.com in the exact amount of your previous orders?

In any event, all of the charges that I have received from wine.com were just pending charges, and I expect they will be reversed shortly. No need to freak out.
The charges from today align with my futures purchases and I received the same email as everyone else. The charges from August 30th do not align with any previous purchases or outstanding orders. Those were more suspicious. The charges from today was the tipping point.

Edit: I see a wine.com representative posted in the other thread. They mentioned no data breach which I am inclined to believe. But this is not an excuse for poor customer service, terrible summer shipping errors and a troublesome rollout of new software. Hoping for improvements soon. Cheers!
Jonathan B. [cheers.gif]

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Sh@n A » September 11th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Just had a $200 bottle that was purchased with November ship date and was shipped 9/5 and got delivered 9/9 in the middle of Texas. 4 day transit from Houston warehouse to Dallas.
/ @ g r @ \

Victor Hong

#49 Post by Victor Hong » September 11th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 5:26 pm
Just had a $200 bottle that was purchased with November ship date and was shipped 9/5 and got delivered 9/9 in the middle of Texas. 4 day transit from Houston warehouse to Dallas.
Ship it back for refund. What was the specific wine?
Wine.com should answer if possible resale on its site........or to another wine merchant.
A Wallace wrote:
WineHunter.

Tyler B rown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Tyler B rown » September 11th, 2020, 5:55 pm

I went by the offsite locker today and there were probably 50-60 wine.com boxes in the receivables holding area. We've had some cooler days this week, but it was 100+ before that. Not going to be good...

Return to “Wine Talk”