TNs: Aged Syrah / Shiraz

• 1999 Claude Cazals Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (10/9/2020)
    Surprise find from a house I haven’t heard before. 100% Chardonnay. This is a big champagne - nutty, autolytic character with a round palate but still retains sharp acidity despite the oxidative nose.
  • 2004 Clonakilla Shiraz - Viognier - Australia, New South Wales, Southern New South Wales, Canberra District (10/9/2020)
    Popped and poured. Supposedly the closest thing to a Côté-Rôtie in the new world. Lots of sweet fruit but not jammy. This had a creamy texture that I haven’t gotten from any Rhones before though. An elegant wine with little spice, but the power wouldn’t have been in line with a Côté-Rôtie.
  • 2004 Quinta do Monte d’Oiro Vinho Regional Lisboa Reserva - Portugal, Lisboa, Vinho Regional Lisboa (10/9/2020)
    What a surprise, didn’t expect a Syrah from Portugal. Very pretty floral nose, elegant sweet fruit from the hotter climate that pointed me to new world. Drinking youthfully now but not sure if it’ll develop any further. Still good in its own right but a little overshadowed by the other two on the night.
  • 2006 Robert Michel Cornas Cuvée des Coteaux - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (10/9/2020)
    Aged in large barrels, primarily from the Chaillots plot that Guillaume Gilles has taken over (Vincent Paris took over his Geynale plot, which I tasted a few weeks ago). Unmistakably old world on the nose but I wouldn’t have called this a Cornas blind. Silkier than expected with barely any savoury notes. Still needs a lot of air and the fruit of red cherries only came out after 4-5 hours of air.

I haven’t had a ton of Claude Cazals but I’ve loved what I’ve had so far.