Fires-Oregon

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Fires-Oregon

#1 Post by Jim Anderson » September 8th, 2020, 3:10 pm

In NO way am I trying to minimize what California is experiencing and, if anything, this thread is about coming to a greater level of understanding about their collective experience. There are real deal fires up in Oregon and in the Willamette Valley as we speak. Hot temps, super dry conditions and nearly unimaginable winds of up to 65 MPH drove things over the past 24 hours. While in no danger here is what it looks like outside the winery right now.
F5ED48B0-A363-44C2-BBC6-1DD94189AA94.jpeg
That doesn’t capture how yellow it looks outside right now. There are big fires East of Salem and I think Highway 22 from Salem to Bend is closed down. The guy semi-trucking wine out of the winery today had to bail after 2 loads because he needed to evacuate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.opb.or ... utType=amp

We have never had anything like this, not in my 25+ years out here doing this.

We didn’t have power to our well and water reservoir pumps this morning although we had power everywhere else however none of that power is 3 phase. Hoping it will be on by tomorrow (as advertised) so we can run the sorting line and destemmer. I know Beaux Freres has Chardonnay in the press with 2-3 loads more to do yesterday when their lights went out.

Again, I am not stating what we are experiencing is anything in relation to CA shit but I can tell you that going through 2% of what they are having to contend with is awful.

Everyone be safe out there.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Fires-Oregon

#2 Post by Jason T » September 8th, 2020, 3:14 pm

I just saw this on FB. Hope you guys aren’t impacted by these fires and that they’re brought under control soon.
J@son Tr@ughber

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Sean_S » September 8th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Sorry to hear Jim. be safe up there. Windstorms rolled through Utah last night and today and caused all sorts of havoc here. Can't wait for this year to be over....

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#4 Post by Richard T r i m p i » September 8th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Wow! Scary Jim. Looks like much of the Willamette, from Eola-Amity to Tualitin, could be impacted. Hopefully not!

RT

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by John Webber » September 8th, 2020, 3:32 pm

2020 @ it again. :(

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#6 Post by Jim Anderson » September 8th, 2020, 3:41 pm

My mother was evacuated out of Ashland, OR at the southern end of the state. Fires inside the city limits. Pretty high density small town that is dry as it gets. She’s just on a road with LOTS of other people trying to figure out what to do and where to go.

I don’t think up here we’re in any imminent danger. It is supposed to be upper 90s next two days so if these hot eastern winds persist that statement could age poorly quickly. It’s not very windy now but neither was it this morning and it kicked back up.

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#7 Post by Todd Hamina » September 8th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Never seen anything like this here in Yamhill county.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8 Post by larry schaffer » September 8th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Be safe and sending positive thoughts and prayers . . .
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » September 8th, 2020, 4:23 pm

I heard Portland lost power last night?

Personally I don’t think you guys have to minimize what you’re going through even if the scale is smaller than CA. Fires are scary no matter where they are.

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#10 Post by Eric Lundblad » September 8th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Sorry to hear about the fires up there. The best (imo, of course) fire map/imaging website right now is:

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ma ... .4,40.2,6z

Very well thought out & laid out website. This includes options for both VIIRS and Modus...the two best satellite fire imaging (note, there's some sort of problem with Modus at the moment, so that's turned off by default...you can turn it on to see it doesn't work tho!).

They have a snazzy bar at the bottom to look at the fire images for prior days. Note: by default, it displays the merged results for two day periods, mostly so nothing is missed as the latest image is updated, I assume. You can change this to 1 day (or 3+ days if you'd like), esp useful if you're looking at prior days. There are a bunch of other nice features as well.

Best of all, it's not massively slow like the Google Earth plug-in's are.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Mark Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Mark Stevens » September 8th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Looking south across our DUX Vineyard toward DUndee Hills. The sky is a lot darker than what the photo represents. Winds still quite strong, albeit less than this morning. Very eerie- reminds me of the eclipse when the light dimmed during the event.
ACAAA559-7B80-49DF-BB6B-C46D02281CD8.jpeg

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Paul Miller » September 8th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Yes. Be safe.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » September 8th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Stay safe everyone.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2018 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshöhle GG
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#14 Post by Jim Anderson » September 8th, 2020, 6:18 pm

4A91BCFC-08BA-471F-8712-7A6B328C38A1.jpeg
D0145694-70E9-41FC-9D03-E5D5317E1B52.jpeg

Couple of photos between 4:30-5:00 this eve. Actually got cool with the sun blocked.

The sky was all purple
There were people runnin’ everywhere.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Peter Kleban » September 8th, 2020, 6:36 pm

All fingers crossed for those of you out there. May you come through this unscathed.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Giacosa Arneis '16
Bêcheur Chard Anderson Vy '18
Felettig Morey St. Denis VV '14
Bêcheur PN '14
Felletig Chamb-Mus VV '14
Pépière Muscadet Briords '09
Volpaia Chianti Class '18
Lignier Morey St Denis 1er Ormes '14
Collestefano Verdicchio di M '19
Pépière Muscadet Briords '19

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Randy Bowman » September 8th, 2020, 8:20 pm

Many of you know Tom Wark. Here's the picture he posted from his house in Salem today. I thought we had ugly smoke in Napa until I saw this.
Oregonfire.jpg
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Al Osterheld

#17 Post by Al Osterheld » September 8th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Hope the winds die down, those are very dangerous. Do you smell smoke? Looks like it's mostly up high.

-Al

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#18 Post by Jim Anderson » September 8th, 2020, 8:40 pm

East of Salem is where a LOT of the fire acreage is at. I decided not to go look at fruit at Freedom Hill Vineyard today just to be on the safe side. They’re 10 miles SW Of Salem but who the hell knows or wants to be caught in some sort of situation that could have been avoided by staying away? It’s scary and crazy. Evacuations are happening all over Yamhill County right now.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#19 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » September 8th, 2020, 10:35 pm

Jim Anderson wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 3:10 pm
In NO way am I trying to minimize what California is experiencing and, if anything, this thread is about coming to a greater level of understanding about their collective experience. There are real deal fires up in Oregon and in the Willamette Valley as we speak. Hot temps, super dry conditions and nearly unimaginable winds of up to 65 MPH drove things over the past 24 hours. While in no danger here is what it looks like outside the winery right now.

F5ED48B0-A363-44C2-BBC6-1DD94189AA94.jpeg

That doesn’t capture how yellow it looks outside right now. There are big fires East of Salem and I think Highway 22 from Salem to Bend is closed down. The guy semi-trucking wine out of the winery today had to bail after 2 loads because he needed to evacuate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.opb.or ... utType=amp

We have never had anything like this, not in my 25+ years out here doing this.

We didn’t have power to our well and water reservoir pumps this morning although we had power everywhere else however none of that power is 3 phase. Hoping it will be on by tomorrow (as advertised) so we can run the sorting line and destemmer. I know Beaux Freres has Chardonnay in the press with 2-3 loads more to do yesterday when their lights went out.

Again, I am not stating what we are experiencing is anything in relation to CA shit but I can tell you that going through 2% of what they are having to contend with is awful.

Everyone be safe out there.
Drama queen...

This statement may age poorly too. Winds are down now but are supposed to persist through tomorrow. Lots of people with no power. And timing is terrible, but right now things could be a LOT worse.
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on September 8th, 2020, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#20 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » September 8th, 2020, 10:46 pm

Eola-Amity(Salem) is rough. Power is out and fire mapping is in the red. But as is noted in the CA thread, topography will create a range of outcomes.

Also, according to Paul Gordon’s rule of thumb, distance from the fires to the vineyards is well beyond where a short term exposure would taint the vineyard. That said, wind speeds have been very high for the WV, and maybe that will make an impact.
Winds at Whistling Ridge brought in smoke from the north yesterday, which would be Columbia gorge for the source. Today a fire erupted near Hagg Lake and the freak high winds are pushing that smoke out to sea. East winds die down tomorrow, and it’s likely these fires will still be burning, so smoke may settle.

We’ll see but so far smoke around the vineyards has been high. That said, I wasn’t in Eola-Amity yesterday.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#21 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » September 8th, 2020, 10:51 pm

A1FB608B-89C7-4372-8CBF-50CEA55CA51B.jpeg
Fir Crest today at 4:30. Ominous but high up.
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#22 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » September 8th, 2020, 10:54 pm

FF06095A-0222-4A8D-A6A4-EB251C2B4285.jpeg
Whistling Ridge at 2:30
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#23 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » September 8th, 2020, 10:57 pm

B6828359-DB09-4366-AB64-C2B672BE21F6.jpeg
Durant...

McMinnville is a bit smokey tonight, and I hope that everyone outside of town is safe and well. There are a number of smaller fires in the Valley now, but these are being actively combatted.
Winemaker & Owner

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#24 Post by Adam Frisch » September 9th, 2020, 2:11 am

Scary times. The year that keeps on giving. Stay safe.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Mattstolz » September 9th, 2020, 4:02 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 10:46 pm
Eola-Amity(Salem) is rough. Power is out and fire mapping is in the red. But as is noted in the CA thread, topography will create a range of outcomes.

Also, according to Paul Gordon’s rule of thumb, distance from the fires to the vineyards is well beyond where a short term exposure would taint the vineyard. That said, wind speeds have been very high for the WV, and maybe that will make an impact.
Winds at Whistling Ridge brought in smoke from the north yesterday, which would be Columbia gorge for the source. Today a fire erupted near Hagg Lake and the freak high winds are pushing that smoke out to sea. East winds die down tomorrow, and it’s likely these fires will still be burning, so smoke may settle.

We’ll see but so far smoke around the vineyards has been high. That said, I wasn’t in Eola-Amity yesterday.
you mean in altitude rather than in quantity?

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#26 Post by Jim Anderson » September 9th, 2020, 6:30 am

Mattstolz wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 4:02 am
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:

High up. For the most part, depending on where you are, you can’t smell anything. Even at the winery yesterday it wasn’t really smoky despite the way the skies looked. That being said on the way here a fire burning up over the top of Mountain Top Rd. north of Newberg and probably in Cornelius/Beaverton/Hillsboro (I’m not sure where it actually is) was sending smoke cascading down the south side of the hill and a mile wide swath of North Valley Rd about 5 miles East of the winery was pretty heavily smoked. I would imagine that means that thing is still burning.

Eric White

#27 Post by Eric White » September 9th, 2020, 6:50 am

stay safe Jim, we're on pins and needles not far from you over here in Banks, the air quality is awful, and I keep seeing evac notices for very close neighboring communities. Scary times for sure.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#28 Post by Jim Anderson » September 9th, 2020, 6:52 am

289E422B-8646-43EB-8FDD-BBAF19AF84D9.jpeg
6:45 AM. Fire burning over the top of Chehalem Mountains. Heard from folks on the other side that looking up at it last night it looks like Mt. Doom.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#29 Post by Jim Anderson » September 9th, 2020, 8:07 am

8:00 AM and it’s nearly pitch dark still at the winery. Processing fruit outside and need the bright overhead lights on to see what’s going on.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#30 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » September 9th, 2020, 9:06 am

Mattstolz wrote:
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:

Yes, high up. And as Jim noted, on the ground it hasn’t been much(at least West side of the valley).

It took me a bit to figure out why Todd’s post about the smoke being unlike anything in Yamhill county before didn’t seem right. But when I was a kid they were still burning the fields every September, and that was way, way, worse for smoke. Not the worry that the forests burning is(I am old enough to remember the effect of the Tillamook burn on Oregon’s collective consciousness but not the fire itself).
But the field burning always created a horrific low level haze that was just awful to breathe. I hated it every year and am glad the practice has gone by the wayside.

Also-seems like the Chehalem fire is contained for the moment. That’s from the map and from a friend on Bald Peak.
Winemaker & Owner

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by brigcampbell » September 9th, 2020, 9:29 am

this is north of Corvallis yesterday at 9am from my friend.
Attachments
53587d86-a733-4b9f-a8fb-3ab39d1a1dd8.jpg

Patrick Duffy

#32 Post by Patrick Duffy » September 9th, 2020, 9:39 am

Smoke in south Beaverton this morning, so I didn't go for my usual morning run. Not suffocating but I still don't need all of that in my lungs. My shop superintendent was evacuated from Bald Peak last night. Huge brown clouds to the south and west of Beaverton in the early evening, like a giant slice of pie out of an otherwise clear sky. Pretty spooky.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Mattstolz » September 9th, 2020, 9:46 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 9:06 am
Mattstolz wrote:
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:

Yes, high up. And as Jim noted, on the ground it hasn’t been much(at least West side of the valley).

It took me a bit to figure out why Todd’s post about the smoke being unlike anything in Yamhill county before didn’t seem right. But when I was a kid they were still burning the fields every September, and that was way, way, worse for smoke. Not the worry that the forests burning is(I am old enough to remember the effect of the Tillamook burn on Oregon’s collective consciousness but not the fire itself).
But the field burning always created a horrific low level haze that was just awful to breathe. I hated it every year and am glad the practice has gone by the wayside.

Also-seems like the Chehalem fire is contained for the moment. That’s from the map and from a friend on Bald Peak.
Is that different than controlled burns to help prevent these big forest fires? Sounds like you’re describing something that’s more of a farming practice than fire control measure? Or was it both? newhere

ToddHansen
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#34 Post by ToddHansen » September 9th, 2020, 9:50 am

Here's a bad photo of the Chehalem Mountains from my house, about 10 miles west, about 9 pm last night. It got bigger around 10, and then smaller around midnight, but I didn't take another picture.
IMG_20200908_205345.jpg

Here's the current NOAA GOES shot of Oregon:
InShot_20200909_092122597.jpg
Our wind typically comes in from the west, but the past week it is from the east, which tends to happen for a week or two this time of year.
Grower, Longplay Wine/Lia's Vyd

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by brigcampbell » September 9th, 2020, 10:16 am

Chinook winds = Indian summer

bad when the place is burning though

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#36 Post by Jim Anderson » September 9th, 2020, 10:36 am

A469F6E9-1F26-4927-9482-FC423A7DF984.jpeg
Seems like the Chehalem Mountain fire is abating as it is starting to lighten up both in terms of daylight and smoke intensity to our northeast. However to the Southwest it looks darker and more intense now. Feel like the wind is starting to turn as well.

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by R M Kriete » September 9th, 2020, 10:44 am

So what's the latest on risk of smoke taint? Anyone picking "prematurely" to avoid the smoke?

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#38 Post by Jim Anderson » September 9th, 2020, 11:04 am

R M Kriete wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 10:44 am
So what's the latest on risk of smoke taint? Anyone picking "prematurely" to avoid the smoke?
I think in most areas the risk is still minimal. I’m reading a VERY thorough publication out of Australia with tons of links to papers and studies on every aspect of the topic.

https://www.awri.com.au/industry_suppor ... oke-taint/

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#39 Post by Richard T r i m p i » September 9th, 2020, 11:08 am

Jim Anderson wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 10:36 am
jpeg

Seems like the Chehalem Mountain fire is abating as it is starting to lighten up both in terms of daylight and smoke intensity to our northeast. However to the Southwest it looks darker and more intense now. Feel like the wind is starting to turn as well.
Just spoke to people at Bethel Heights. They described it as quite scary, like the twilight-zone.

RT

Ian H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Ian H » September 9th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Hate seeing these pictures and hearing first-hand how scary and dangerous this is for people. I just got back from ten days in Oregon, and was very lucky to not experience much of this. Hope everybody out there makes it through, winds die down, rain comes, all of it.
@@S

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#41 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » September 9th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 11:08 am
Jim Anderson wrote:
jpeg

Just spoke to people at Bethel Heights. They described it as quite scary, like the twilight-zone.

RT
It’s about as ominous as you can get. I’ve been snapping sky photos like crazy, and as Jim pointed out, this morning was more like end of November for light.
Winemaker & Owner

Gray G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Gray G » September 9th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 1:18 pm
Richard T r i m p i wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 11:08 am
Jim Anderson wrote:
jpeg

RT
It’s about as ominous as you can get. I’ve been snapping sky photos like crazy, and as Jim pointed out, this morning was more like end of November for light.
and the temperature is lower as another consequence
my friends call me Gary, so much time, so little wine, Albanista, K Vinters rocks! MCK, Cattle King, love Gri3v3 Family wines Double Eagle baby! flavors please, non-religious freedom :) egalitarian, non-socialist, non-ITB, paid subscriber of online chat, Going Beserk everyday! "life's not black and white but black and grey"- Graham Greene

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#43 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » September 9th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Feels like I’ve been in the car all day long. And at this point, there’s too many people in Oregon suffering real losses for me to think our issues are very important.

My heart goes out to southern Oregon. And the area I grew up in is a mess, and evacuated. It’s far too early to comment on smoke taint still, and it also just doesn’t seem very important.
Winemaker & Owner

Mark Maddox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Mark Maddox » September 9th, 2020, 6:47 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Feels like I’ve been in the car all day long. And at this point, there’s too many people in Oregon suffering real losses for me to think our issues are very important.

My heart goes out to southern Oregon. And the area I grew up in is a mess, and evacuated. It’s far too early to comment on smoke taint still, and it also just doesn’t seem very important.
You are a good human being. Hoping quick relief for you all.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#45 Post by Jim Anderson » September 9th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 6:15 pm

My mother was fine but Medford to the north was not spared the way Ashland was. People losing houses. The town of Detroit east of Salem on Hwy 22 is basically decimated. It’s awful. People around here are parked below the evacuation zones watching their houses on the hill. It’s insanely heartbreaking.

I don’t know what to think. Focus is nearly impossible and I’m worried about that given what it is we do and I’m not talking about making wine. I’m talking about heavy things moving around and stuff.

I’m also very angry.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#46 Post by larry schaffer » September 9th, 2020, 8:02 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you all up there...
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Al Osterheld

#47 Post by Al Osterheld » September 9th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Wow, what a horrible tragedy, hope the weather turns more favorable and that all you and your families stay safe.

-Al

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by dsGriswold » September 9th, 2020, 11:59 pm

The note of field burning brought back memories of earlier times. I believe the practice was halted when the smoke obscured visibility on I-5 around Albany and there was a huge pile up where some lives were lost.
Went to pick up my evening latte and the server said the owner's partner had a friend east of Eugene who lost their house and 3 vehicles. We just had a lot of tree trash from the strong winds, moved the street parking away from large trees in the city, none came down. Not much fun sitting outside waiting for that loud crack before the limb crashes down. Some blue sky above eastern Vancouver.
This mourning's paper had a listing of all the OR fires, much worse than thought.
Last edited by dsGriswold on September 10th, 2020, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DennisG

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by brigcampbell » September 10th, 2020, 8:19 am

Had a picture sent to me near the golf course in Lincoln City and the place looked like hell. I'm not posting it because I can't confirm its accuracy but even so, a fire in Lincoln City? How is that even possible? I've been to the coast in August and September and froze my ass off. Wild.

TomC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by TomC » September 10th, 2020, 8:32 am

brigcampbell wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 8:19 am
Had a picture sent to me near the golf course in Lincoln City and the place looked like hell. I'm not posting it because I can't confirm its accuracy but even so, a fire in Lincoln City? How is that even possible? I've been to the coast in August and September and froze my ass off. Wild.
It's unfortunately true. That one is the Echo Mountain Complex fire. As of yesterday the cause is not known, but the winds and very dry conditions (11% humidity in my area yesterday) are factors.
t o m c h e u n g

Return to “Wine Talk”