Latour 2009 released

Ex chateau. Around $1230 a bottle. Easy pass for me; although the wine is quite good.

OMG !
Me TOO !

You pikers.

hard pass at $1230.00 but considering the offer I just got at $1,200… [wow.gif]

1.190 € in Germany in sub.

No thanks -

Yeah…it is quite greedy. However, it will not be Latour who has to deal with fall out if the wines don’t sell. For me, this is a form of corporate bullying; a monopoly where if you don’t buy at whatever price the chateau decides on, you will lose allocation. So the negotiants end up paying. Engerer is no dummy; he has all the cards, and uses them ruthlessly.

I am curious as to what the chosen negotiants ended up paying, but hopefully they have enough margin that they can sit on the wines for a time.

Wow. Mark- if memory served this is double the late release price on the 2008, yes?

The low non-auction price in the US is $1200. So the release is priced around the W-S low. Is there a reason it should be less?

How is it greedy? A quick price check shows this at about the going rate and buyers get perfect storage.

And it’s an incredible vintage for Latour.

I can’t afford it, but others can.

2009 is a much better wine than 2008. I’m not sure why that’s relevant.

This is only slightly above the price I paid on release in early 2010 from UK merchants. Last Latour I bought en primeur was the 2010. Which I believe was the final release they did before holding back.

Was tempted this am by the mag format that was also released but too much wine buying recently. Personally waiting for the 2016 to be released.

You guys clearly have no pull, no baller status like me.

I was offered the 2009 at the very specific bottle price of $1337. Clearly it is the better bottle.

It was supported by 100 points from The Suckles and LPB, but sadly, no black forrest cake. The good news is, she says it’s still a baby that needs time but is drinking well now:

Just a baby—this needs time! Drink: 2022 - 2080 - March 14, 2019

When a wine is offered in WineSearcher, it is a limited number of bottles which only a must have buyer will purchase. Along comes a flood of late released Latour, and people prepared to cough up $1200 plus is equally limited. Add the problems caused by COVID, failing economies, and less demand out of China, and you know the wines are going to stick in the pipeline. As I said, Engerer doesn’t give a damn, the wine is sold, and yes, corporate bullying.

I also tasted the 2009. If you are going to base your opinion on absolute quality, then there are plenty of other wines of equal quality at a fraction of the price.

Why did I bother to open this thread? [swoon.gif] Just another bottle that will never grace my cellar. [head-bang.gif]

I wouldn’t categorize bundled goods strategies as greedy so much as risky of disproportionate pushback.

Curious: What wines do negocs cover that they otherwise wouldn’t have access to if they declined this allocation?

25% premium over recent auction prices; easy pass at this price.

I always call low WS price the number at which it doesn’t sell.

Hi Jeff,

Just double checking from a geeky data standpoint. There is still some 2008 Latour in the open market for $700ish, but my recollection is that it first came out about $600 in the initial secondary offering stage at which we are seeing the 2009 now.

From a market perspective, it is actually a pretty attractive price, difficult as it that is to imagine for many of us (including me!) 2009 Latour does not come to auction very often considering it is very much an A-list bottle. This retail price is not far off from the few recent auction prices out there (less than $100 a bottle variance in two recent NY sales), plus you get the benefit of perfect provenance and the ability to buy in quantity all at once. In this very heated market, and again considering how rarely 2009 Latour comes to auction, I think it will sell quite well at that price.

At least the Latour holds its level. Many other 09s (and 10s) are cheaper now than En Primeur (as witnessed again last week, when a Mouton allocation came on the market for 21%/27% below the En Primeur price for the 09/10).

As mentioned in another thread, somebody seems to care a hell lot about critics and scores for implying all the time he doesn’t care about critics and scores. [truce.gif]

One thing to reflect on this pricing is that it is clearing out a lot of the lower offers quite quickly. BBR, for examlpe, had cheaper Latour 2009 on BBX and that got taken out within minutes of this coming out.

The thing is a lot of these lower offers are relatively shallow, a case here or a case there. If there was a buy buy on 2009 latour, who knows where you’d actually get sustained ability to fulfill orders? Of course that’s irrelevant, as there is no sustained purchasing on it right now.

FWIW, BI Wine have 12 bottles of 2009 Latour at £4750/6 right now, if anyone is looking to buy.

I’m sure long term this will be worth the money, but right now, it feels a bit of a hard pass for me. I think they were stuck in a hard place with pricing - they cant reflect the EP 2019 pricing as it’ll undermine many EP buyers, but there’s probably pressure to release given their library