MacDonald release is imminent!!!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
T Fletcher
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: MacDonald release is imminent!!!

#201 Post by T Fletcher »

MikeL238 wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:24 am Curious as I've never had MacDonald before, but is the hype based on scarcity or simply better taste when compared to other big name Napa cabs? Or both?
I think it's for various reasons.
1. The history of the vineyard
2. The craftsmanship of the wine
3. The brothers and their love for the land and pride in their product
4. The low production and related demand

I've purchased vintages 2014-17 and opened a 2014 bottle two years ago to get a glimpse. It was spectacular. Take it with a grain of salt as I don't often drink higher-end Napa Cabs that cost $200+ but it was the best Napa Cab I've had.
Trent Fletcher
CT: tcufletch

MikeL238
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: MacDonald release is imminent!!!

#202 Post by MikeL238 »

TomC wrote: January 13th, 2021, 9:49 am
MikeL238 wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:24 am Curious as I've never had MacDonald before, but is the hype based on scarcity or simply better taste when compared to other big name Napa cabs? Or both?
They have:
- A great story in the history of the land as it relates to To-Kalon and Napa winemaking
- Tremendous pedigree in the terroir of the land itself as it translates to wines made from it
- Two brothers (great guys) doing the hands on work of growing the grapes and making the wine, in a way meant to represent the history and terroir as much as possible

This much alone produces a great product in the top tier of wines made.

Then you couple that with:
- Limited availability and non-arrogant pricing
- High scoring reviews
- Board chatter

And you get an enthusiasm in this community that feeds upon itself and makes it into hype. But under it is an outstanding product and a story that many (myself included) are happy to support.
Well non-arrogant pricing for the lucky ones who are on the list.
Mike Leigh

Return to “Wine Talk”