TN: 2013 Georges Lignier et Fils Bonnes Mares

• 2013 Georges Lignier et Fils Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru (9/7/2020)
    In the nose, quite raspberry, slight hint of barnyard, hay, loam; on the palate, darker fruits also show, glycerin, pretty, some acid. With air, nice sharp notes of Vosne spice, more delineation as palate complicates and finish lengthens. Does not possess the tensile spine of great GC’s, in part perhaps owing to the vintage? Still a nice find from a small shop while travelling and a real treat to drink. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

That’s a producer whose Bonnes Mares you don’t see very often. I wonder how much of it he produces.

Anyone had the CSD lately?

They own about a quarter hectare, so not a huge production. But it’s a bit atypical for Bonnes Mares, definitely goes for grace over power.

I had 2 bottles of '12 CSD in December (so not that recently) side by side at a dinner with a dozen people (and lots of other bottles). From memory, one bottle was advanced and drank like it had 20 years on it. Was gorgeous with lots of sous bois, fallen leaf like notes, fruit still in a good place. The other was more correct for it’s age and was still somewhat compacted although accessible, with much tighter structure and fruit more lively and primary. I haven’t cared too much for other bottlings I’ve had from Georges Lignier, but both of these CSDs were very good.

If you had their wines pre 2012, your other experiences are not a surprise.

I’d be interested to hear more about this, Greg,
Was there a change of winemaker/winemaking after 2011? That said, I’ve enjoyed both the 1990 and the 1999 CSD. Not great wines, but very good, I thought.

Nice, I have a 6 pack of the 16; guessing it’ll be awhile before they’re ready.

Yes, younger generation fully took over with the 12 vintage, I believe. The wines are still made in a lighter style, but I’m a fan - very pure fruit imho. They won’t bowl you over with power.

From Europe? Pretty sure the 16s aren’t in the country yet.

Yeah it’s prearrival in bond in uk atm.

I had a 2015 Chambolle village and I wished I spent my funds elsewhere…

Not too much a fan of any of the lignier wines outside morey.

Hubert’s 16 Chambolles are really good, though they’re a more muscular style than one might expect from Chambolle.

I’ve only really had some of the village stuff but wasn’t impressed. Haven’t been a fan of even high quality non-Chambolle based producers with their Chambolle offerings (mg feusselottes)

Michael, you can PM me and Greg, and I’m sure that we will take your MG Feusselottes off your hands at the bargain basement prices that wine merits.

Good to know, I won’t bother Grand Vin WM about where my bottles are at.

Don’t own any, sorry

For real.