Louvière Blanc 2010, Soc M 01 and 04, Talbot 2001

Some interesting discoveries this weekend and one slight disappointment:

Château La Louvière Pessac Léognan Blanc 2010

They used both corks and screwcaps for the 2010 - this was the latter. The colour was very promising, bright lemony-looking. The nose was just as fresh, with crisp notes of lemon, apples, a touch of honeysuckle and seaspray. The attack was again surprisingly youthful, full of zingy lemon, a hint of lime, then broadening out into light honey, with hints of apple and pear, then a saline finish. I’ve seen many notes describing it as a bit old - perhaps the cork version? Neal Martin tried both versions a few years ago and found the screwcap one to be a lot fresher.

Less oaky than the 2012 tried earlier this year, this is one of the most enjoyable La Louvière whites that I’ve had.

Château Sociando-Mallet - Haut-Médoc - 2004

My first experience of the 2004. Cedar, plums and redcurrant aromas, maybe some dark cherry too. A plump and fulsome attack of plums and blackberries, quite a chewy middle section of dark cherries, before a very persistent, slightly dusty finish leaning more towards blackcurrant. Great balance between the fruit, the body and the acidity and a very classy performance.

Château Sociando-Mallet - Haut-Médoc - 2001

I’ve had this umpteen times and although the bottle was in perfect condition, the wine wasn’t up to the usual standard, lacking the intensity of previous bottles. Still enjoyable, with an elegant dusty finish.

Château Talbot - Saint Julien - 2001

Like the bottle tasted in February, this was excellent. Plenty of cedar and blackcurrant aromas, then a fresh, intense attack of black cherry and blackcurrant, a wave of the usual spicy flavours and then a classy follow-through into a crisp finish dominated by blackberry and plums. A little more vanilla in the background than the last one, otherwise much the same. I’m curious to see how this would perform next to a 2000.

I tried the three reds together, which was interesting. The SM 01 was of course not really competing, but the 04 was not at all outclassed by the Talbot. The latter had a little more suavity and class, but the plump fruit of the SM 04 allowed it to hold its own with ease. Indeed, it’s one of the best 04s I’ve tried and still fabulous value if you can find any. I preferred it to the 03.

Oh cool some serious faves right there. Love that 2001 SM, sad it didn’t quite show for you like normal. I’ll seek out that Talbot, I only have 00 and 05 left from that vintage range. Way too bad that La Louviere went over to the dark side. I used to really like this solid Cru.

When did La Louvière (red) cross the Styx? I’ve had nothing more recent than the 2001. The 2010 white was very classic, a lot less oaky than I expected.

I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but it’s fascinating how consistent Sociando-Mallet is. I haven’t tried a 2002, but I’ve had all the other “weaker” vintages in the noughties - they’re all winners, unlike so many CCs. It’s ironic that they should have dropped the baton somewhat with the 2000.

He swooped in on his Executor-class Star Dreadnought In 2013.

Phew - I’ve nothing later than 2011.

Going back to the white, I imagine they’ll try and reposition Couhins-Lurton now - the quality is identical (or as good as), compared to La Louvière, as is the price, which is odd considering that C-L is supposed to be a CC.