TN: 2005 Jean Grivot Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Pruliers 1er

I have been mentally scarred since attempting to consume a bottle of 96 Grivot Clos de Vougeot, but thought it about time to get back on the horse and overcome my phobia.

This was quite dark and brooding, and is more advanced than I was expecting of an '05. It’s quite muscular and rustic, however the tannins are in check and it is drinking reasonably well. Will be interesting to see if more cellaring will be beneficial. I am not quite back on the horse and galloping, but I no longer fear it!

I’m not in any way a Grivot expert, but my understanding is the style has evolved a lot in the 1990’s and early 2000’s. I don’t honestly know where it has ended up, and if it had stabilized by 2005. At first in the early 1990’s it was the Accad (sp?) years, then there was a period of heavy extraction, that I understand he backed off of. The most recent vintage I’ve had I think was 2001, and I still thought it was over-extracted. I’m sure there are some board members who know a lot more about the estate than I do.

LOL,
Jon Osbeiston sold me magnums of the 1999 Grivot Clos de Vougeot, Luckily they were out of the “frozen” shipment and cost bugger all.

Had a 2015 Grivot that felt nothing like the overextracted stereotype. Did they do a turnaround in the late oughts, like Faiveley and a number of places did?

Yes–I just don’t know when.

They’ll be good in 2050. Have drunk a few wines from that frozen shipment - all very tasty! Dugat-Py Grand Crus for a Mawson or two was pricing that we will never see again.

Yea…good times.