TN: 2004 Darioush - Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

… doing that thing so many of us do: drink-down mistakes purchased on account of previously-different palate preferences …

2004 Darioush Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (6/29/2020)
– decanted 20 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 hours –

NOSE: expressive; aged, high-toned Cabernet Sauvignon Nose; hint of stony mineral.

BODY: medium-full bodied.

TASTE: plenty of oak — chocolate & cedar; slightly warm (alc.); still minimal fine, drying tannins present dark-fruited; obviously big/CA, but not bad, but nonetheless glad to have it out of the cellar now. Drink Now and over the near term.

A family member poured us some vintage of their Cab at an event and I didn’t care for it either. Later I checked the price and was shocked.

Yeah, the pricing is pretty absurd. I bought this “way back when” for $63, and I wouldn’t for one second buy another bottle today at that price, let alone the current release pricing. It’s a big, oaky, Napa Cab. — very stereotypical, albeit not offensive to my sensibilities — just not the type of wine we really go for anymore.

I will say that I heard that this is the place to buy pistachios and the building looks lovely. Next time, I’m in Napa wiil check it out。

The tasting room is very nice. Of course, because this is Wine Berserkers, the cool thing is to admonish it for being opulent / OTT. It’s a very enjoyable tasting experience, if you like the style of their wines.

Ughhh, bummer for sure. I can’t recall when/where I picked it up, but I have a 2007 in the cellar. Have never tried a Darioush before. Good to know that my expectations should be on the low end.

Thanks for the note!

I actually visited the winery when they were operating out of a trailer. Bought a bottle of their merlot for $39 but I do not remember the wine and I did not write a note. I d remember stopping when they had finished the winery and was shocked at the pricing of the wine.