TN: 2010 Château Coutet (France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac)

2010 Château Coutet - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac (6/13/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours –

Nice botrytis spice; better acidity than is normal for a Sauternes (although, to be fair, this is a Barsac); excellent poise/focus; extremely nice, and a pleasant reminder that, despite palate shift, there is still a place for sweet Bordeaux wines at our address. Drink Now - 2040, for my preferences, although I’m sure it will live longer than that.

Coutet is my favorite ‘normal’ Sauternes/Barsac because of that acidity. It’s also still very fairly priced.

My favorite, too, Arv, although within the context of my limited exposure to various producers. [cheers.gif]

I do love Coutet, quite a few bottles in the cellar. I also enjoy Suduiraut, La Tour Blanche, Lafaurie Peyraguey and de Malle.

Brian,

How would you compare/contrast the style of Coutet to that of Suduiraut? I’m familiar with the other producers you mention (and strongly prefer Coutet over them all), but have no experience with Suduiraut.

I don’t drink Suduiraut as much other estates but sometimes there can be a coconutty flavor.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8658&p=75935

I often get a glaceed apricot type of feel from Rieussec in contrast.

Of the five mentioned, I do prefer Suduiraut. Coutet has a nice harmony between fruit, sugar and acidity. Suduiraut takes the acidity up a notch, with less of the cloying sweetness. Cloying is probably the wrong word but you know they are dessert wines versus something you could pair with a food. Maybe why I prefer Rieussec to Climens, and de Fargues to d’Yquem (I’m sure I’ll take some heat for that). All comes down to what you like and also experiences you associate with the wine. I had a very nice memorable experience with Suduiraut. Same with de Malle even though I recognize it is far less of a wine.

Neil Martin had a good write up on de Malle btw, worth looking up. I’ve only had a few recent examples though.

I can’t really see Sauternes/Barsacs being produced a generation from now. It’ll either be whites, or stuff at the $300/btl Yquem level.

People just don’t buy or drink it, and there’s no after market for it, suggesting that what is getting sold initially is tied to things customers really want (like Rieussec & Lafite)

Nice note Brian. I don’t drink much Sauternes but I’ve been working through some ‘97s and ‘02s that I got good pricing on. Agree with Arv’s comment on the acidity. Even with that though it’s hard for me to drink more than a small glass in one sitting. Right now a half bottle has been lasting me a half week!

Thanks for your response, Brian. Sounds like I should check-out some Suduiraut next time I need to buy a Sauternes (granted, that might be never, as I do legitimately wonder if the 22 half bottles and 4 bottles I currently have will carry me through the rest of my life). Maybe, some day, out of sheer curiosity … [cheers.gif]