2017 Duroche GC Champ

I feel like every time I post about this producer I want to delete the post before I make it, but I suppose I’ll post this one. This is a superb wine that’s profoundly underrated. Pierre Duroche is and should be among the very best Gevrey producers along with Rousseau. This humble village lieu dit has beautiful fruit, lovely aromatics, great integration, and above all, soul. Along with Marc Roy this is my favorite under the radar gevrey producer.

Agree with every part of this—particularly the part about how you should shut up about it.

Thanks for the note. Don’t have any experience with this producer. I picked up some of the 16’s of this bottling a while back.

I suppose the 2017s should be more approachable than the 2016s?

I think they’re both pretty accessible at least at the village level.

Prices have been going up a lot over the last few years. I think the cat is out of the bag.

For premier crus absolutely. Village along with Marc Roy are still fantastic deals. Whwc has 16-17 champ and Clos for 50-60/btl

I’ve drank 4 of these already. Waffling on how much more to buy with my limited wine budget. Seems impossible for it to stay at this pricing beyond the current vintage and the reputation leaking out…

Also have not tried Marc Roy. Could you describe the house style a bit?

Marc Roy only makes village wines, but they get quite a bit more punch and complexity out of them compared to other producers and they treat them like other producers top cuvees. I feel like they’re a bit more complex and structured than Duroche village wines.

Right on cue, The Bottle List has a nice offer up of '18 Duroche. Just picked up a mix of Gevrey Champs and Les Jeunes Rois, as well as a couple of the Vosne. Passed on the 1ers, although I’m sure they’re great.

I got the rest of the Duroche village from whwc; they lowered the price a bit, this is a weird sale.

I love these wines. I started collecting in 2013 when it was inexpensive. Now the wines are expensive but for a reason. Pierre Duroche is making great wine.

You should check on the Vosne - AFAIK, they only have vines in Gevrey.

1 Like

It’s definitely Duroche Vosne. They started bottling it in 2017; it’s made from fruit purchased from Pierre’s wife’s family. https://polanerselections.com/producer/duroché

Reviews of the VR have been kind of so-so – but I’m still interested in trying it.

Thanks. I was never offered to buy and never offered to taste from cask, and it’s not on their website. Learned something new then.

The Vosne and Echezeaux are from purchased grapes. Steen Ohman seemed to like them.

Only way to know for sure is to try them [cheers.gif]